Domain of Soissons: A new roman empire

girld22

Banned
Hi everyone i am a long time reader in the forums and i have read many of the good time lines like Isaac s empire, raptor of Span and etc.

Now i want to create my own time line which will be about :
Domain of Soissons

Here is some info about it:

The Domain of Soissons, also known as the Domain of Aegidius and the Domain of Syagrius, was a rump state of the Western Roman Empire in northern Gaul (present day France) for some twenty-five years during Late Antiquity.
The Domain of Soissons' evolution began when Emperor Majorian (457–461) appointed Aegidius as magister militum of the Roman Gaul. When Majorian lost his authority and his life to Ricimer in 461, Aegidius maintained his own rule in much of his province, creating a Roman rump state that came to be known as the Domain of Soissons. In the chaos of contemporary Gaul he maintained his power against Franks to his east and Visigoths to his south; his relations to the Romano-British of Brittany may have been friendly. Aegidius died in 464 or 465. His son Syagrius succeeded to the rule. In 486 Syagrius lost the Battle of Soissons to the Frankish king Clovis I and the domain was thereafter under the control of the Franks.

Map of Domain of Soissons

Reame_di_Siagrio_%28486%29.png

girld22

Banned
Continuing

So is the POD the battle? If so, an interesting TL. And an interesting POD.

Yes there will be battles, bloodshed, terachery, deciet, joy and other things.

Well as stated above Aegdiusus son Syagrius lost the battle of Soissons and the last roman territory in Gaul came to an end.

In this time line this is not going to happen.

This time line is going to last for about 500-600 years and it will be like a book with each post consisting of a chapter.

Please note: You are free to propose ideas, give criticism and discuss events.

girld22

Banned
Chapter One

"their neighbors, on every side, were continually harassing them ... and, at whatever gate they went out, were sure to meet a foe"

Friends and Foes (Part 1)

Aegidius the old soldier and ruler of what remained of Roman Gaul if it could be called roman was in his dinning chambers eating dinner as he had done for the last 12 years. He was a bitter tired old man with many years of military experience who constantly remembered and cursed the treachery of Risimar.

His former friend who had destroyed the chances for the revival of the west by killing the emperor Majorian because of a single military setback. Ricimars actions had devastating results because it meant that the west had no good ruler and Aegidius had been left to fend for himself with no help from anyone.

For the last twelve years Aegidius had killed many, and was constantly forced to make decisions that were very unpopular such as cutting wages and luxuries to save money. He had also survived a dussin assassination attempts. Aegidius was also constantly fighting Franks, Burundians and Visigoths.

However this night was different. My lord said a messenger we have received word from Angelus Valentinian lord of Britanny who requests an alliance. Aegidius was shocked by the news because although relations between Britanny had been friendly. The Britons had never been united until now.

Aegiudis immediately went with a contingent of 200 soldiers and diplomats near the border between the tow territories. However Along the way a massive Visigothic force attacked the entourage. As the fighting began Aegidius lost 20 men in the first few minutes of fight including his own son Syagrius and heir

As the attacker approach Aegidius he was himself mortally wounded in the fighting. However as they approached his other son Flavius who was a young man of tall stature and twenty years old he was fighting hard when it rained and the visigoths saw it as bad luck and left. Despite the horrific loses Flavius had become the new leader of Roman Gaul and he decided to continue towards the meeting despite his personal loses....

To be Continued

Last edited:
Mind you, structurally Soissons had very little to do with the Roman Empire. Syagrius ruled the place more like a barbarian warlord than a Roman governor, as his behavior leading up to the Battle of Soissons indicates, and in general there seems to have been next to nothing of civil government. Shakaka's got a nice TL on the same subject going on, that might be worth checking out.

Is 'Arthur' even a Gallo-Roman name?

girld22

Banned
Feed back

Thx for the feedback. i will take it into consideration. Some of the stuff is entirely ficitional can i have more feed back ?

but what do you guys think about the story is it exiting boring ?

I'm always interested in this period. What year exactly is this starting in? Obviously while Aegidius is still alive...

To Ofaloaf, if he's starting while Aegidius is still alive then we can likely expect something a lot closer to a 'roman' administration than the warlord-regime of the son.

girld22

Banned
well in this TL as you read in the pod Aegidius eldest son is killed and we dont know anything about Flavius.

Another chapter will follow tomorrow

Last edited:
Personally I would opt for a different name for the younger son. Arthur doesn't make particular sense, and since it's one of THE best known names from mythological, it immediately gives the whole thing a certain "made-up" vibe which throws me off. Considering the family's likely descent from Flavius Afranius Syagrius, a name like Flavius or Afranius might make sense? Just a suggestion.

girld22

Banned
Chapter One continue

"their neighbors, on every side, were continually harassing them ... and, at whatever gate they went out, were sure to meet a foe"

Friends and Foes (Part 2)

Flavius now found himself ruler of what remained of Roman Gaul. Unlike his other his older brother Flavius was never considered a serious heir and although his father loved him, he never took an interest in him. Thus Flavius was different from Syagrius because unlike his brother he had immensed himself in the study of administration diplomacy and art and in doing so Flavius believed hat he had gained the knowledge to rule better then his father and brother.

Despite the personal losses Flavius order half his men back to the capital at Soissons with the bodies of the decseased so that they can be buried and the other were to follow him to the Negotitaions. He knew that he had to continue because the stakes were to high.

Upon arriving at the agreed location Flavius immediately met the ruler of britanny Angelus Valentinian. Valentinian was man of medium stature, losing his hair and did not speak much but he was nonetheless a desisve leader. Angelus proposed that Flavius marry his daughter and in turn unite both territories with the heir being ruler. However there was a catch because part of the treaty meant that Flavius would be given administrative abilities while foreign policy would be shared and Valentinian would control the army through a new "senate".

After a few days of negotiations news about the treaty leaked and various noble men in cities such as Paris and Orleans rebelled. With the news of the rebellion Flavius had no choice but to accept. As agreed by both men Flavius married Lucia in 465ad who was two years younger then him in a fast ceremony and both men rode to crush the rebels.

As word reached the Visigoths of the treaty they immediately decided to launch an invasion begining with minor raids on border towns. Their king had decided to invaded because he saw it as a threat to his expanding domain

To be continued......

Map showing Roman Gaul after the merger and surrounding states at 465 AD
attachmentdwz.jpg

Attachment.jpg

Last edited:

Faeelin

Banned
Mind you, structurally Soissons had very little to do with the Roman Empire. Syagrius ruled the place more like a barbarian warlord than a Roman governor, as his behavior leading up to the Battle of Soissons indicates, and in general there seems to have been next to nothing of civil government.

Hrm. What are you basing this on?

You have flavius sending his men to his hq in paris. What do you mean by 'headquarters'? The capital, of course, was soissons. If youre talking about a military hq, would have made sense to send them to orléans to strengthen the border?

Dont know where you are going with this, so cant make a lot of comments.

Hrm. What are you basing this on?

Ofaloaf is very fond of Penny MacGeorge's "Late Roman Warlords", which takes this view. It's a soundly argued and supported work, but several of its conclusions are not quite in line with the general tendency of historical scholarship on the issue.

Personally, I think anyone writing in this period has to embrace our fundamental, incurable ignorance. Contemporary sources for the period are simply too poor to be sure of a lot of things.

girld22

Banned
well Syargrius is already dead if you read the chapter. I never actually explained the succession because i dont know alot about it because we dont have a lot of information about it. So i just made it from father to son.

Infact the same thing happened in real life

girld22

Banned
Chapter One continue

Friends and Foes (Part 3) Final part

Flavius and Angelus both knew that they had to act quickly in order to stop the rebellion from spreading. Angelus ordered that several hundred men were to follow him in order to crush the rebels.

After gathering the men Angelus and Flavius hit the ground running
they quickly rode to the city of Paris and along the way they gathered small numbers of troops from various towns they crossed.

In southern France in the city of Toulouse the powerful and Ambitious king of the Visigoths Eunic was gathering his troops and had ordered raiding parties to attack and test the strength of Roman Gaul. The raiding parties were really distraction for a larger invasion. This was in response to the unification of both territories.

In what is now modern day Belgium and Germany Another powerful but young and equally ambitious king Clovis of the Franks was also gathering his strength and launching raiding parties across the border and preparing for an invasion after he had also learned news of the treaty. However both the Franks and Visigoths were unaware of each others plans.

In Italy things were equally bad where Odoacer had seized power and exiled Romulus Augustus the last emperor of the west. While the former emperor Julius Nepos who ruled most of Dalmatia after negotiating ceded his territories to the Eastern Roman Empire because he believed he was trying to save as much Roman territory as possible. In exchange Nepos became governor and in a bloody battled reduced the ostrogoths to vassals. He also gave all claim and legitimacy of Rome to the east.

After reaching a few small towns near Paris which had rebelled the new combined army quickly captured them. Angelus and Flavius made a unique punishment one that Flavius had learned from stories about the Frankish king Clovis. The captured noble men were to be given a choice they and their sons would either be conscripted into the army or face execution. However Flavius learning about the power of generosity from Cyrus the Great allowed those that were conscirprted to keep their property.
Many noble men decided to accept the offer and become conscript while several others were executed and had their properties seized by state. These seizures would help improve the financial situation.

After a few days of marching the army had reached the city of Paris which had sizable garrison which was loyal to Flaviusus father and him. However things were not easy because the rebelling nobles withing the city had many mercenaries and was urban which was very bloody. When Angelus entered the city he was faced with mobs of armed men and after fighting which lasted for hours on end. After the fighting was over the noble men were presented with the same choice but many refused to accept and were all killed in a blood bath. That day Angelus had lost an eye in the fighting but recieved the title Angelus the Bloody. After hearing the news many noblemen sent their kids to become soldiers

Several weeks later nearly the entire rebellion had been crushed only a few places held out but they were of minor concern because the romans were concerned about the frequency and savagery of the raids from both sides.

Juliana and Flavius where happily married and were expecting a child. Flavius had during the weeks made many reforms in the army and introduced conscription. after several more weeks the new army was numbered at twenty thousand soldiers.

Word soon reached that both the Visigoths and Franks were invading.

The end

girld22

Banned
Chapter one is finished chapter two is coming soon and will focus on the visigothic and frankish wars, the new born or borns, and i will try to include more details about the country and events outside

please not that the end implies the end of chapter one not the story.

Also as always i am looking forward to comments, ideas, suggestions and anything else please post and dont hesitate to ask anything