Different Nuremberg Trial

What if the Nuremberg Trial Defendents list looked like this?

Count 1: Conspiracy to wage Agressive War

Count 2: Crimes against Peace

Count 3: War Crimes and Geneocide

Count 4: Crimes against Humainty

1. Adolf Hitler

2. Heydrich Himmler

3. Joesph Goebbels

4. Reynard Heydrich

5. Hermann Goering

6. Rudolf Hess

7. Joachim von Ribbentrop

8. Ernest Kaltenbrunner

9. Wilhelm Keitel

10. Alfred Rosenberg

11. Hans Frank

12. Wilhelm Frick

13. Julius Streicher

14. Fritz Sauckel

15. Alfred Jodl

16. Martin Borman

17. Claus Barbie

18. Arthur Seyss-Inquart

19. Erwin Rommel (wage a different warfare and resisted arrest inn this ATL)

20. Walther Funk

21. Karl Doenitz

22. Eric Raeder

23. Constatin von Neurath

24. Franz von Papen

I can't see Rommel committing atrocities, nor is resisting arrest something for which a world court will try someone, particularly when that individual is an active-duty general; if he continued to fight after an official German surrender, that'd be a valid charge, but a completely different one.

Forum Lurker said:
I can't see Rommel committing atrocities, nor is resisting arrest something for which a world court will try someone, particularly when that individual is an active-duty general; if he continued to fight after an official German surrender, that'd be a valid charge, but a completely different one.

Why did they try Doenitz then?

They tryed doenitz in the real trial and found him guilty of count . As he planned to wage aggressive war on the high seas and count 2 as he waged agressive war. If Rommel was put on trial I think he would have been found guilty of counts 1 and 2

Why did they try Doenitz then?
In OTL lets see:
However, he was charged with "Conspiracy to wage aggressive war" (count one), "Planning, initiating and waging wars of aggression" (count two), and "crimes against the laws of war" (count three). Specifically, he faced charges of waging unrestricted submarine warfare and of issuing an order after the Laconia incident not to rescue survivors from ships attacked by submarine...
As one of the witnesses in his own defense, Dönitz produced an affidavit from Admiral Chester Nimitz who testified that the United States had used unrestricted warfare as a tactic in the Pacific and that American submarines did not rescue survivors in situations where their own safety was in question. Despite this, the tribunal found Dönitz guilty of charges two and three, for which he was sentenced to 11 and a half years. He served ten years in Spandau Prison, West Berlin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doenitz

Edit to add: Personally I can see how Count 1 and Count 2 can be justified against him but if count 3 was to be used against Doenitz surely much of the USN should also have been locked up...

@confederatefly
the town is called Nürnburg. or the soft spelling Nuernburg (practically incorrect - theoretically right)

ConfederateFly said:
What if the Nuremberg Trial Defendents list looked like this?

Count 1: Conspiracy to wage Agressive War

Count 2: Crimes against Peace

Count 3: War Crimes and Geneocide

Count 4: Crimes against Humainty

1. Adolf Hitler

2. Heydrich Himmler

3. Joesph Goebbels

4. Reynard Heydrich

5. Hermann Goering

6. Rudolf Hess

7. Joachim von Ribbentrop

8. Ernest Kaltenbrunner

9. Wilhelm Keitel

10. Alfred Rosenberg

11. Hans Frank

12. Wilhelm Frick

13. Julius Streicher

14. Fritz Sauckel

15. Alfred Jodl

16. Martin Borman

17. Claus Barbie

18. Arthur Seyss-Inquart

19. Erwin Rommel (wage a different warfare and resisted arrest inn this ATL)

20. Walther Funk

21. Karl Doenitz

22. Eric Raeder

23. Constatin von Neurath

24. Franz von Papen

1-5 Death
6 As OTL
7 Not too much IMO, probably 5 years or so
16,17 Death
19 Either found not guilty or given a light sentence
Don't know enough about the rest to give a reasonable guess

Lauranthalas said:
@confederatefly
the town is called Nürnburg. or the soft spelling Nuernburg (practically incorrect - theoretically right)

Well, if we are at it, the correct German spelling is NÜRNBERG, or "Nuernberg" if you do not have any umlaut at hand :)

Just a small nitpick from your resident German ;)

sikitu said:
Well, if we are at it, the correct German spelling is NÜRNBERG, or "Nuernberg" if you do not have any umlaut at hand :)

Just a small nitpick from your resident German ;)

ups i wrote burg. oh whatever. I'm resident too. good to know i'm not the only one. (just living in the us)

Cockroach said:
Edit to add: Personally I can see how Count 1 and Count 2 can be justified against him but if count 3 was to be used against Doenitz surely much of the USN should also have been locked up...

Actually, a lot of USN guys sent letters on his behalf saying that he had done nothing the Allies hadn't.

Nimitz even sent an affadavit. Victor's justice at its finest.....

Yeah that's right, Bulgaroktonos, I do recall reading stuff to that effect on how the unrestricted warfare charges against Doenitz were dropped to the USN submarine fleet's pressure on his behalf.

Maybe instead of Rommel, why not have another WEHRMACHT representative, or guys from the WAFFEN SS, not of his chivalrous character ? What about the likes of Sepp Dietrich or any of the WEHRMACHT gens in charge of the invasions of Poland and France, and Op BARBAROSSA and all the atrocities committed therefrom ?