Development of an Electrical Industrial Revolution

Heck, not just displacing them sooner, but reciprocating engines would be very niche, relatively speaking. They'd still have their uses, of course, but I have to think that turbines - perhaps rudimentary at first -would be the primary way of turning steam into useful power from almost the beginning. As it was, it seems that Watt himself did work on steam turbines, so perhaps in this alternate history, he is not refining a reciprocating engine, but a primitive turbine.
One issue would be whether direct turbo-mechanical drive for 18th- and 19th-century steamships is practical. The aforementioned issues with copper price would be one possible constraint on turbo-electric drives. Turbo-mechanical drives require rather precise gears.

Reciprocating engines might compensate for their higher maintenance cost through being easier to build, perhaps, and so still see widespread transportation use.

OTOH, a radical increase in demand for copper might make some of the Andean copper mining sites economical to exploit sooner, and so reduce prices.

Ships are a problem - there's a reason why even now pretty much all ships are either bare wind power (personal, local) or ICE (passengers and cargo)
I don't think it's solvable in the time frame suggested, instead you might just have steamships not take off (a couple of catastrophic failures might work) and cargo/passenger transport will still be limited to barges and sail. Heck, by the time you get to the 20th century iotl you might have caravels and clippers still, just with more modern materials. That's a quite lovely vision <3

Last edited:
One effect might be that instead of huge power stations feeding into a transmission grid, electricity is instead generated on a much more local scale. The village mill (water or wind) becomes the village power station, for example. Copper availability (/cost) will limit where this is practicable, of course, but the societal changes of not being dependent on big companies for electricity would be interesting...

I don't think that is likely. In fact, with steam driving mechanical power directly, through belt systems, decentralized power was preferred. By introducing electrical power generation quicker, the disadvantages of early steam is removed earlier, so, we're actually likely to see massive power stations earlier.

One issue would be whether direct turbo-mechanical drive for 18th- and 19th-century steamships is practical. The aforementioned issues with copper price would be one possible constraint on turbo-electric drives. Turbo-mechanical drives require rather precise gears.

Reciprocating engines might compensate for their higher maintenance cost through being easier to build, perhaps, and so still see widespread transportation use.

OTOH, a radical increase in demand for copper might make some of the Andean copper mining sites economical to exploit sooner, and so reduce prices.

I agree, transportation is still likely to be dominated by reciprocating mechanical engines of some kind. Turbines will take over eventually, but not before reciprocating engines have proven themselves for many decades.

Last edited:
One effect might be that instead of huge power stations feeding into a transmission grid, electricity is instead generated on a much more local scale. The village mill (water or wind) becomes the village power station, for example. Copper availability (/cost) will limit where this is practicable, of course, but the societal changes of not being dependent on big companies for electricity would be interesting...
Maybe if the first big power station suffers an accident and gets taken out, people might decide that it's better to have a decentralised system than to put all your eggs in one basket. It wouldn't even have to be the sort of accident which is particularly likely to happen very often -- if the consequences are noticeable enough, it can still have an impact on public perception (cf. Chernobyl).

It's unlikely that people will reject centralized power due to "accidents". The issue is that there are significant benefits to scaling up your power station no matter what technology you use, whether that's combustion, hydroelectricity, or even solar or wind power (not that solar is particularly practical at this point in time). Larger and more remote power stations are usually more efficient than smaller and more decentralized stations through a combination of factors: larger furnaces and boilers can produce more heat relative to their heat loss rates, they require relatively less power conversion equipment to hook into the grid, they can be located on cheaper land in rural areas, relatively less labor is needed to build them (the striking cost difference between distributed and utility-scale solar is heavily driven by labor costs). In the case of hydroelectricity specifically, there are geographical conditions that mean that certain areas can produce enormous amounts of power, and you would be foolish to reject those in favor of much smaller plants if you can economically build the full-scale one.

Of course, these benefits don't go up forever, and building ever-larger creates its own problems, but it's telling that most power plants are in the size of a few hundred megawatts to a few gigawatts in scale. That seems to be about the most economical size for a power plant, not so large in most cases that it becomes a single point of failure, but not so small that it multiplies expenses unnecessarily. Of course you will have exceptions in both directions, particularly for hydro, where there are a lot of rather small systems out and about and of course gargantuan plants like Three Gorges or Itiaipu on the other end of the scale. But by and large "moderate" scale in a relatively centralized system will probably rule the day.

Coming back to the thread topic, I think hydro and wind are more "low tech" than solar so could be easier to set up. There's also the option of geothermal, but that one is, well, geographically limited (but might lead to interesting butterflies, Italy and Iceland as leaders of the revolution?)

Coming back to the thread topic, I think hydro and wind are more "low tech" than solar so could be easier to set up. There's also the option of geothermal, but that one is, well, geographically limited (but might lead to interesting butterflies, Italy and Iceland as leaders of the revolution?)
Hydro is very low tech and would almost certainly be the spearhead of electrical production (as it was IOTL). Wind is higher tech, but probably feasible on a smaller scale early on, only to decline later as generation networks spread and permit access to more reliable power sources (also as IOTL).

I really think you'll see almost the exact same leaders in industrialization as in our history, just with safer factories.

Norway and Scandinavia, I can believe, but I doubt that even they would find food imports cheap enough that their prospective exports - that may also be imposed with tarriffs by their prospective markets - can afford it.

Last edited:
Similarly, the factories (and cities) would likely be lit almost a century earlier.
There's a massive difference between what you need for the generation of electricity and its use in motors/electroplating/electrolysis and what you need for lightbulbs. For practical lightbulbs, you need the ability to produce completely airtight glass bulbs and either carbon/tungsten filaments (for incandescent) or noble gases for "neon" lamps. While batteries or simple generators like the Faraday disc could have been invented much earlier, the manufacturing technology for lightbulbs just wasn't there until the late 19th century and there aren't any practical ways to get it done at a lower level of technology.

Earlier use of electricity would lead to a lot of developments in chemistry occurring earlier though. IIRC like 6 or 7 new elements (i.e. potassium and sodium) got discovered in the decade following the invention of the battery.

Last edited:
There's a massive difference between what you need for the generation of electricity and its use in motors/electroplating/electrolysis and what you need for lightbulbs. For practical lightbulbs, you need the ability to produce completely airtight glass bulbs and either carbon/tungsten filaments (for incandescent) or noble gases for "neon" lamps. While batteries or simple generators like the Faraday disc could have been invented much earlier, the manufacturing technology for lightbulbs just wasn't there until the late 19th century and there aren't any practical ways to get it done at a lower level of technology.
Generally agreed. There's a picture of an early lightbulb near the bottom of this page - it's about the size of a small football (soccer ball for Americans): https://www.wallswithstories.com/ho...use-hydroelectricity-to-power-the-lights.html
It was installed in 1880 by Joseph Swan, who's credited with inventing the first effective (i.e. reliable) filament (he later went into partnership with Edison which explains why the latter is often cited as the inventor of the lightbulb); see here: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Joseph-Wilson-Swan

But I think with earlier electricity it would be possible to have electric lights somewhat earlier, since one of the difficulties Swan had was the quality of the electric source. In addition, there had been good demonstrations of electric lights before, including by James Lindsay in 1835 (see here: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Joseph-Wilson-Swan) - they were less good than later, being essentially small arc lights, but I don't see why earlier electrical experimentation couldn't bring the introduction of reliable electric light forward by a few decades.