Decades of Darkness

Thanks. I am working on finishing the book, but finding a publisher after that will take some work. I'm thinking about options there.

What publisher are you considering at any rate? Del Rey sounds like the best option to me. BTW how long is the Fox and the Jackal and how much of it is completed?

I've only just started reading DoD yesterday -- I'm up to Chapter 40. And I love it.

One thing I am a little confused about is where the borders of the Indian Confederation were supposed to be. Didn't anyone do an early-19th-century map?

The 19th century cartography is on the retcon list.
So what's the latest version, then? I did do some searches of this thread and I couldn't find anything about getting rid of the Indian Confederation entirely, so what's the new retconned version of its borders?

Jared,

Long time lurker, first time poster...

First let me congratulate you on this epic work. It saddens me to think soon you will actually declare this piece 'closed'. Truly it is one of the great things I have ever read. Oh well, there's always LoRaG and The Fox and the Eagle...

Alas, all things must end. And while I enjoyed writing DoD, I was getting pretty burned out by the end of it.

Anyway, I've read the TL right through and I'm re-reading it but something kind of bothers me. I've never been able to understand why, during the NAW, Germany (allied with Britain?) remained neutral throughout. Why weren't they obliged to step in on the Allied side?

The alliance between Britain and Germany was explicitly written so that it applied if either nation was threatened in Europe, not their colonies. This was because neither side wanted to be commited to a general war in the case of any border disputes or colonial wars. (Much as Japan and Britain had an OTL alliance which was also restricted; in that case, only if Japan was attacked by two European powers, not one.)

Germany could, of course, have chosen to come in anyway. They didn't because of several factors, such as the personal antipathy which the Dutch Kaiser had for Britain. (He could refuse to sign a declaration of war), and also the general ill-feeling which had been created in Germany for Britain thanks to the ATL equivalent of the Boer War.

What publisher are you considering at any rate? Del Rey sounds like the best option to me.

I'm still not sure which publisher I'll try first. Del Rey/ Random House doesn't accept unagented submissions, though, so that would require finding an agent first. That's true of most publishers these days, although there's some exceptions. I think Tor still accepts unagented submissions, for instance.

BTW how long is the Fox and the Jackal and how much of it is completed?

The novel will be as many words as it takes to finish, and not a word longer. :D

At the moment, what's been written is mostly in outline format beyond the first six chapters. There's large scenes which I'll probably end up using intact, and others which I may delete or change; it's hard to tell. There's probably what will become the first 50% of the novel there in some form, but most of that is not in the final form.

Will there be ever any hope for the US? Any sort of liberalization for slaves in the long-term future? (ie several centuries from now).

Over a timeframe of centuries, who knows? I've no idea how slavery (or de facto apartheid, or whatever the *USA ends up turning into) will mesh with twenty-first century technology, let alone twenty-second century tech.

I've only just started reading DoD yesterday -- I'm up to Chapter 40. And I love it.

One thing I am a little confused about is where the borders of the Indian Confederation were supposed to be. Didn't anyone do an early-19th-century map?

The earliest designed map was for about 1850, if I remember right. It's since been removed to await the general retcon.

The 19th century cartography is on the retcon list.

What's the national anthems of the USA and New England in TTL?

The USA still has something called the Star Spangled Banner, although the words aren't the same as in OTL. New England had (up until the Great War) the anthem "God Defend New England." I'm not sure if the New England anthem will have been changed after the Great War.

So what's the latest version, then? I did do some searches of this thread and I couldn't find anything about getting rid of the Indian Confederation entirely, so what's the new retconned version of its borders?

I don't want to spoil things too much, but read a few more chapters, and things should become clearer.

Portraits of the United States Presidents in the Decades of Darkness TL.

George Clinton (Democratic-Republican, 1809):

President One.png