DBWI: Western Roman Empire Falls, East Survives

While I was studying for my history midterms (including a course on Imperial History) I started musing about what would have happened if history were reversed and the Eastern Roman Empire survived while Rome itself fell to the barbarian hordes. Any thoughts?

Well, Islam probably wouldn't make it very far into the east; it might make it into Anatolia during the Turkish Wars, but no further. However, if history followed the same pattern as it did here, they might make it into Greece, while western Europe would reform into powerful states. I mean, I live in Aachen, the place where Magnus the Frank ruled until his death caused the capital to revert back to Rome, and there's still a lot of Muslims left over from the Moorish invasions a millenia ago. Would the same thing happen in, say, Epirus?

Well may be the fraks will have settled somewere near Gallia, not in Gothia (modern France) and anglians and saxons will do the same in any island big enoug like they did in old Grecia and Anglian islands....

Will an ipotetical eastern emperor be able to reunite the followers of the cross under the same banner or we will have a definitive split between eastern an western christians?

Will the slavs adopt islam?

Will the germans still accept the offer to settle in Egipt? will this move potect Roman Africa from an eventual wertern front of the islamic wars?

Last edited:
The Ostrogoths might have settled in northern Italia or even the entire peninsula instead of in Thrace.

The Empire of Greece under the Visigoths would not control the majority of the Balkans.

The Roman Empire in Italia would certainly not exist.

Anatolia would probably be united instead of divided up into Hellenic city-states and small empires.

Jerusalem would not be a culturally Persian city.

The Gallic Republic would not control most of Northern Africa.

The Empire of Kiev might have been Christianized (oh the horror!)

Last edited: