DBWI: Operation Overlord

Superdude

Banned
Please don't turn this into a flame fest!

I want to ask you alternate history experts a question. Could the invasion plans formulated by the British and Americans to land troops on the French coast actually worked? The official plans looked pretty implausible, but I want your opinion.

NapoleonXIV said:
Why would we anyway? The south of France was practically undefended in comparison.

Yeah - plus, an operation the size of Overlord is always a gamble and considering the Panzer reserves available to the Germans, the allies would have been ripped apart. This sort of operation is exactly what the Germans expected from the allies. Surely, it would be stupid of the allies to give the Germans exactly what they were expecting?

I'm assuming this involves a POD which doesn't involve a lot of false intel making Hitler overly paranoid about a northern France invasion?

Well if the Brits & the Americans did launch their so-called Crusade in Europe, most of it wouldn't have become Communist satellite states of Uncle Joe. So we wouldn't have had the People's Democratic Republics of Germany, France, Belgium, Holland, & Denmark.

It would have also made life easier for Italy & Spain, although there wasn't much difference between Stalin & Franco many would say. But having only really Italy as a friend to Britain & the USA in Europe, other than Norway & Sweden, made life pretty tough during the Cold War.

The Sandman

Banned
Don't you remember? Operation Downfall was the plan against the Germans. That one might have had some chance; I've always suspected that the Atlantic Wall was a paper tiger anyway. But Operation Overlord? Against Zhukov, Konev, Rokossovsky, and the entire might of the Red Army, not a snowball's chance in the infernal regions.

Why did you have to flagellate this deceased equine anyway? Overlord going in is almost as nutty as the Germans doing Sea Lion, and we all know how this board reacts to that ASB scenario.

The British disaster at Dieppe demonstrated that an invasion of France against a prepared enemy would have been folly. The losses of Operation Julibee resposnible for saving the thousands who would have been lost had Operation Overland be launched.

Furthermore the development of the Italian theatre as the main Western Allies' offensive against Nazi Germany permitted not only the recapture of southern France but also Austria, Yugoslavia and Greece all of which would have fallen to the Red Army had the Allies put their main force into France. As events show, there was no need to recapture northern France or the Benelux countries as they fell to the Western Allies after the death of Hitler and the unconditional surrender by Admiral Doenitz.

In conclusion, Operation Overlord would have been a total disaster. Thousands of British, American and Canadian soliders would have died and virtually all of Europe would have been occupied by the Red Army.

Superdude

Banned
Yes, but whos to say that the Germans were expecting it?

The Allied invasion of Italy was a total fiasco, and it basically proved that an amphibious invasion will never work against an entrenched foe.

But why would the Germans entrench against something that should be impossible?

Straha

Banned
thesandman said:
Don't you remember? Operation Downfall was the plan against the Germans. That one might have had some chance; I've always suspected that the Atlantic Wall was a paper tiger anyway. But Operation Overlord? Against Zhukov, Konev, Rokossovsky, and the entire might of the Red Army, not a snowball's chance in the infernal regions.

Why did you have to flagellate this deceased equine anyway? Overlord going in is almost as nutty as the Germans doing Sea Lion, and we all know how this board reacts to that ASB scenario.
Didn't the last time THAT was posted cause a BIG flamewar and abotu 3-4 people banend and 12 people kicked?