DBWI: Linguistic rather than Religious Division of Hispania

My brother recently came back from a study abroad period in Europe (He's studying to be a Castilian Teacher back here in the States... there's been a real demand for those lately) and even after all this time growing up with somebody who's interest on the languages of the Hispania (Let's not get into a war over the official name here, please; I'm from the Christian World so we use the Roman name) I was introduced to a unique little fact he learned while on a field course to Galicia in order to study the local dialects. Apparently, back before the consolidation/standardization of Andalusian Arabic back in the 1600's, the rural population roughly the western 1/4-1/3 of the peninsula spoke a language that wasen't a close dialect of Castilian, but actually or similar but distinct tongue sometimes refereed to as "Portucalies" or something like that. Apparently, the Visgothic tribes who came to the area around Isbunah (OOC: Our Lisbon) absorbed more of the local Celtic tongues and, due to a degree of geograhic isolation and looking towards the Atlantic rather than the Mediterranean, briefly started to standardize as it was used by regional nobles. Of course, these houses were largely wiped out and replaced during the centuries of warfare between the states that would consolidate under the Castilian crown to know the nation we know today and the Berber-Moorish states that emerged in the south and eventually consolidated into the Almohad Sultanate that would become known as "The Last Crusades", culminating in the 1494 Treaty of Tordesillas between the nations of the Holy League (under the Papacy) and the Grand Jihad which, at least in theory, ended the era of holy wars between the the two faiths (at least overtly justified as such), and the Catholics gave up the right to trade and establish factories/forts in Africa in exchange for the exclusive right to settle the New World Territories.

Now, while the colonization of the New World was hardly bloodless (The free for all between every nation with an Atlantic coast didn't help) as was hoped for, the idea of a single nation facing entirely west, with limited land prospects at home, a strong open-ocean going naval tradition (Which a Portucalies nation would have to have) who might be able to make a quick jump and lay claim if not threatened by Muslim nations on her border got me thinking. What if, by some means, the Moors were unable to hold onto Andalusia and the Western coast of the penninsula was somehow able to get and keep its freedom from Castile? How would this impact the world? Certainly, without a strong Muslim hold on West Africa there could be threats to the "Muslim Lake" in the Indian Ocean trade... might this cut down down on the massive East African slave trade that so stains Ottoman and Hindustani history? Or would the European Christians perhaps duplicate the tactics used in Spice Islands and the sugar plantations of the Moroccoan tradition with the West Africans and result in whites being the big target of post-colonial sentiments by the "black" populations of the world? I'm personally against that notion, given Christianity and Western European (particularly British) distaste of slavery, I'm not going to claim we're somehow pure-hearted people who, if given access to a cheap and consistant source of it and the temptation of the oodles of cash available by plantation agriculture, wouldn't have partaken in it.

corourke

Donor
An al-Andalus divided along linguistic lines would be a mess. To say nothing of the various Christian tribes in the north (Where do the Eskudi even come from?), the provinces of Dar al Islam are also quite linguistically diverse. How could you separate the Berber shepherds of the Tulaytulah plateau from the Ladino-speaking Jews of its cities?

An al-Andalus divided along linguistic lines would be a mess. To say nothing of the various Christian tribes in the north (Where do the Eskudi even come from?), the provinces of Dar al Islam are also quite linguistically diverse. How could you separate the Berber shepherds of the Tulaytulah plateau from the Ladino-speaking Jews of its cities?

Um... read the OP. The premise would be a division created by a Christian domination of the peninsula rather than the north-south division between Christian and Muslim polities, with the western Galician speakers separate from the Castilian speakers. Presumably, given what the Castilians did to the Catalan tounge, they would enforce linguistic uniformity.

(OOC: Also...

back before the consolidation/standardization of Andalusian Arabic back in the 1600's...

So no, thats not a viable statement)

I'm loss, what is the POD? a portugese esque Muslim andalusia vs a catholic castille? a mappo is needed here too...

Lusitania

Donor
Early on in Portuguese history 2/3 of Galicia was controlled by the Portuguese. The Galician castles were traded for the release of D Sancho who had been captured in cidade Rodrigo. Thinking of how Galician would of evolved linked to its sister language instead of Castilian and eventually Spanish?

Early on in Portuguese history 2/3 of Galicia was controlled by the Portuguese. The Galician castles were traded for the release of D Sancho who had been captured in cidade Rodrigo. Thinking of how Galician would of evolved linked to its sister language instead of Castilian and eventually Spanish?

I assume it would standardize in a Romance/Latinesque direction, just looking at how the strong the influence of Church Latin was on the development of Catholic Europe. Not surprising given the clergy were the primary users of the written word as the vital role they played in facilitating long-range bussiness (Given the distaste for merchant activity and and illegality of usury among the Laity). Though, I'm not that well-versed on the actual structural details of what the language of the Portugese, as you call them, looked like from a literary standpoint, or the relations between their lords and those of Castile. For all I know, they may have tried to highlight the differences between them and the languages to the east of them in an effort to prevent it from being subsumbed.

I'm loss, what is the POD? a portugese esque Muslim andalusia vs a catholic castille? a mappo is needed here too...

(OOC: Muslim Andalusia in the south of Iberia and Christian Castile in the north. As for a map

https://external-preview.redd.it/dv...bp&s=538a9f43dce37c3be9247fbff4b1e2c150a5e63e

Pink, Purple, Red, and Blue, plus Zaragoza and Tortosa, are the Kingdom of Castile, the south is the Sultanate of Andalusia)

(OOC: Muslim Andalusia in the south of Iberia and Christian Castile in the north. As for a map

https://external-preview.redd.it/dv...bp&s=538a9f43dce37c3be9247fbff4b1e2c150a5e63e

Pink, Purple, Red, and Blue, plus Zaragoza and Tortosa, are the Kingdom of Castile, the south is the Sultanate of Andalusia)
OOC:Thanks now i see it, a northern spain/castilla as Castile vs the south Andalusia, heck even madrid ended up in andalusia too. That would be interesting, specially in the new world

OOC:Thanks now i see it, a northern spain/castilla as Castile vs the south Andalusia, heck even madrid ended up in andalusia too. That would be interesting, specially in the new world

OOC: No problem. But if you read the OP I did lay down a basic point on the New World to work off

OOC: No problem. But if you read the OP I did lay down a basic point on the New World to work off
OOC: That just say become a free for all for every nation with an atlantic coast(Andalus, France, Britain-Ireland and maybe Norway too?) how that ended itself too?

But why limit yourself to this, if the objective is linguistic division?

That's a shorthand I used in the title to prevent it from being absurdly long-winded. To quote the actual question...

What if, by some means, the Moors were unable to hold onto Andalusia and the Western coast of the penninsula was somehow able to get and keep its freedom from Castile?

As you can see, not something that can easily be put into a title of a length used on this forum

Let me try to drum up some activity with a pointed question: what might the impact of a presumed Christian presence in the West African commerce create? Andalusian and Moroccan mercantile penetration in the Sahel and Kongo Kingdoms was key in the spread of Islam into the African interior, and the huge cultural influence on the Arabic-decended world that created would be butterflied away if the Trans-Saharan trade haden't bee supplimented by the much cheaper and quicker, and thus large scale options made available by the uncontested position of Islamic trades. Would we have seen the same attempts to transplant cash crops from the East Indies in the Kongo in order to suppliment the East African trade, and the resulting increased urbanization of the centeral African river regions?

what might the impact of a presumed Christian presence in the West African commerce create?
As you say, some tribes(specially those rival to muslim one) could work more with christian and convert, translplating that rivalrty too, and depends, i think some tribes could try their hand with some cash crop and other new world cultives(potatos, yam,etc) that could push for a further centralization and urbanization, slowly but pausable.

We need to discuss new world...who ended with who? Wonder if Colombia/Nueva Granada and Venezuela ended up muslim ITTL alongside brazil or something else.

We need to discuss new world...who ended with who? Wonder if Colombia/Nueva Granada and Venezuela ended up muslim ITTL alongside brazil or something else.

Well, Castile woulden't have had a direct Atlantic coastline if all the Portuguese-Galician speaking regions were seperate; only the generally poorly developed Bay of Biscay ports. I actually think they'd get less of the New World in our timeline as a result: a larger commitment south and on the Med. coast would naturally pull their attention towards the Barbary Coast and Italy. That leaves the hypothetical Portugal in a prime position to take over the New World, at least the southern parts, if she has a strong oceanfairing naval force (Which, given geography, seems natural). If not, I'd place my bets on France picking up the slack: they definately have a manpower domestically and a big enough Atlantic coast to fill up the vacuum,

Though, if the conquest of the South New World wasen't so feircly contests, it could have advanced fast enough to hit the Tawantinsuyu (Inca) with the same level of exposure and tech advantage as the Aztecs fell victim to? I mean, their isolated position on the West coast with the Andies as a natural barrier might protect them long enough that the historical pattern of steady and slow integration and trade that allowed them to ride out the shock of the Old World plagues hitting their population, which could leave us without ANY Native states.

not, I'd place my bets on France picking up the slack: they definately have a manpower domestically and a big enough Atlantic coast to fill up the vacuum
We're going to see a Portugo-Andaluz vs French rilvary seems...that will be fun.

Though, if the conquest of the South New World wasen't so feircly contests, it could have advanced fast enough to hit the Tawantinsuyu (Inca) with the same level of exposure and tech advantage as the Aztecs fell victim to? I mean, their isolated position on the West coast with the Andies as a natural barrier might protect them long enough that the historical pattern of steady and slow integration and trade that allowed them to ride out the shock of the Old World plagues hitting their population, which could leave us without ANY Native states.
I think inca could survive a smore muslim will focus in the more richer sugar island and the north of the country and Brazil for settlement, trade and others will give the Inca, depends if they look for other 'patron'(france,england) or adopt one of old world faiths...i give them more chance but i could see later on, the portugo-andalucian conquering if they become a thread(when less brutall that spanish...the inca are still pagans...if they don't convert...)

Aztec will have it as OTL...be sure the muslim will hate a state sponsored war cult with human sacrifices...that is not nice at all..i can see later on andalucia and france competing in what we call mexico.

OOC:trying to revive this
culminating in the 1494 Treaty of Tordesillas between the nations of the Holy League (under the Papacy) and the Grand Jihad which, at least in theory, ended the era of holy wars between the the two faiths (at least overtly justified as such), and the Catholics gave up the right to trade and establish factories/forts in Africa in exchange for the exclusive right to settle the New World Territories.
Wonder how This would change story in a full muslim or christian Hispania Peninsula, OTL we know Castilla decided to focus East and into Italy and medditeranean and the Andalus to convert and colonize the new world(with french and later even danish and swedes sending people in the Sugar Islands and High Maghreb/Ponente) that change how the peninsula behave and how North and South Hispania(or Castilla and Andaluz) behave

(OOC: Americas are name Maghreb or Ponente/Poniente/Sunset as that is the far away of sun lands and in a eurocentric view, the last to see sunset, need an alternate name for carribean too besides sugar islands)