Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

So I'm playing as the Byzantines with the intention of mending the schism, restoring Rome, etc. and the Karlings have managed to form the HRE not even 30 years from the 867 start date. And when I say the Karlings, I mean the Louis the Stammerer, originally King of West Francia, who managed to inherit or I have to guess, take all of the Karlings' titles. I'm hoping his two heirs will rip each other apart, but if they don't... F&%# me.

So I'm playing as the Byzantines with the intention of mending the schism, restoring Rome, etc. and the Karlings have managed to form the HRE not even 30 years from the 867 start date. And when I say the Karlings, I mean the Louis the Stammerer, originally King of West Francia, who managed to inherit or I have to guess, take all of the Karlings' titles. I'm hoping his two heirs will rip each other apart, but if they don't... F&%# me.

Oh, that sounds exciting. Is that basically France and Germany in one package? What else does the stammerer have?

They said from the beginning, it creates two huge, advanced, Aztec and Incan empires at the start.

I'm currently in the process of playing to the end so I can convert. Started off as Connacht, then united Ireland, and started taking bits of England using Holy Wars against Norse. It kept happening that Denmark or somebody would take some of England, allowing me to Holy War them. Eventually I usurped the Kingdom of England. At the same time, Wales is easy pickings.

Scotland was a bit harder, but I eventually got it too and formed Brittania, which I renamed Brythania just so I could give it a more Faux-Celtic feel. I likewise changed the kingdom names for Scotland, England, and Wales.

Then I took Brittany and have been sitting on my empire ever since, mostly trying to spread my houses to other empires through marriage.

Spain was easiest, I took half of it again, through Holy Wars as I kicked the Muslims out. I didn't actually want Spain though, so I did a lot of work to give away all of Spain to my brother, who promptly lost the entire place to my cousin, who was about to lose it to somebody not of our house so I stepped in at that point and secured it.

France I'd been working on since the game start, marrying my daughters to French rulers and helping in wars to secure French de-jure holdings. Eventually I managed to work out a matralinial marriage to somebody relatively high in the line of succession, and then I killed all the other claimants.

Currently working on getting the HRE ruled by my house. Not very easy, since helping Francia form required a lot of wars with the HRE.

Another thing of note in this game is Byzantium managed to take all the Orthodox Holy Sites except Rome. I took Rome, and married the owner off so that it'd fall into Byzantine hands. Then Byzantium healed the schism. There are currently no sections on the map where the population is Catholic, and all of Western Europe is Orthodox. Abyssinia also went Orthodox at some point, though a lot of the area is still Monophysite.

Now somehow Byzantium is huge and bloated, but has lost Constantinople, which is independent.

Oh, that sounds exciting. Is that basically France and Germany in one package? What else does the stammerer have?

No, more than that. He re-united Charlemagne's Empire.
Yes so he had all of Charlemagne's empire plus odds and ends.

What ended up happening was the Imperial Heir, Louis, became Louis II and then promptly created the Empire of Francia (so there was first Doppelkaiser) and made it his primary title. His brother, who inherited all of the Kingdoms except East Francia and Lotharingia (so the lion's share of their father's realms) revolted, and was put down. He was locked up but had already sired an heir, so I figured it was zero-sum for the time and I would have to wait for the son to succeed the father for another large scale revolt. Until I looked back about 2 years later to discover the son had been assassinate (well I assume) and the father promptly died in prison reuniting all of the realms again.

Thankfully Louis II/I had four sons, one of whom predeceased him but managed to pop out a grandson before doing so. Louis II/I died and his realms split, Francia = West Francia, Burgundy, Lotharingia & Italy HRE = East Francia, Bavaria & Aquitaine (with power kings below the Emperors). Family infighting led to shifts in power, and at one point I thought the kingdoms would realign with Francia as the northern Carolingian Empire and HRE as the southern one. However the Karlings can't seem to keep their sons (who often inherit at 2 or 3) alive to majority, so the Empire has effectively been re-and-disunited several times. At my last save I think Francia held West Francia, Lotharingia, Bavaria & Italy, and HRE held Aquitaine (by the Emperor) and East Francia (by a woman, which given Agnatic succession shows you how far some branches of the family tree have been wiped out). Burgundy is somehow independent under a non-Karling.

I've basically decided to avoid them until I heal the schism (thankfully I kicked the Pope out of Rome very early on), so I just married all of Leon VI's daughters off to forge alliances, and then when their husbands died I remarried the girls to the next brother on the line (the fact that Greek princesses seem unable this game to produce male heirs has also complicated things).

Playing as Iceland, swear fealty to Petty King of Sudreyjar. Many years later, my faction leader is the King of "Skotland" (Scotland is overwhelmingly Norse), and so I have secured a decent dynasty. Then, his wife (whose father was the previous King of Skotland) ends up causing a massive civil war as princes left right and centre make their own factions. Needless to say, while I had a strong claim, I didn't have much power. Oh, and the King died in battle. So I have a shithead child Jarl of Iceland, and his sister whom I can't arrange a marriage to anyone of significance, and a newly independent Iceland with a few token islands.

"Shit."

Until that is, I accepted Skotland as a lost cause and, knowing that Norway wants what I have to become the Kingdom of Norway, I swear fealty to the King of Norway. Suddenly, I have protection. Suddenly, I have various marriage options, as well as the strongest claim to the throne of Skotland.

I now have a massive army at my back, and I'm merely biding my time while Skotland rips itself apart before I conquer the remnants. If I play my cards right, I may be able to achieve an even bigger victory than I would've had by being Jarl of Iceland and King of Skotland; I may be able to pull off becoming King of Skotland, and eventually have my descendants be the Kings of Skotland and Norway. And it all started in Iceland. :D

Fuck, shit, fuck, shit.

I'm learning to never count on anything in this damned game. The King I swore fealty to had an idiotic and ineffective son who presided over the disintegration of Norway, and so I became independent again. While I managed to take most of southern Ireland, Scotland is still out of reach for now, but at least I'm marrying into Sweden.

Deleted member 67076

My Crusader Kings 2 is going excruciatingly slow. Any way I can speed this up?

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
I'm depressed because I forgot to take Steam off-line before leaving home. Now I can't connect to steam(blocked) so I can't play CKII...

SWMH just updated. My social life is now in it's death bed once more. I'll throw some screens of my game once things get interesting.

The CK2+ team really had too much fun with their 1.111 patch update.

Among other things, I've discovered the option to play as "Heinrich Bruning, Count of Weimar" in the shattered world submod. Not that there wasn't already loads of crazy (but hilarious) shit in CK2+ Shattered World submod (Half the English lords already had some weirdass house, there's some Japanese warlord in the far east of the map, I've posted about Seleukos Nikator being a starting character), but there's now the option to play as Hellenic characters, there's Aztecs in Iceland, and religious boundaries are now at 867 for everything else...I love it:D.

I'm experiencing some CTD problems similar to General Finley's recently, while playing the CK2+ mod. Principally, the problem arises whenever I try to load a save.

I've actually picked up this game again as Novgorod, and I went from being an independent state to a subject of Kiev, and then a subject of Russia. All in the span of about ten years.

Joyous.

I started a game as the Byzantine Empire in 867 with the intention of playing it all the way through to the end and then converting it to EU4 so I could play as the Roman Empire. By this pint in time the kingdoms of Egypt, Africa, and Italy have all become core territories of the Roman Empire. I hadn’t been paying much attention to the rest of the world outside of helping the cadet branch of my Dynasty that ruled Bavaria (which doesn’t even rule actual Bavaria), but I wish I had because a Hungarian ruled Seljuk Turk Empire is really close to forming the Russian Empire and I’m constantly having to fight with the Bavanid Empire to over Mesopotamia. England, Scotland, and Asturias were ruled by the Norse and the Muslims so when I ended the schism and made Catholicism a heresy they stayed Catholic only to be liberated by Catholics later on. Norway is Orthodox and an ally through marriage, but it looks like I might have to intervene in a civil war to save my ally from his brother.

tumblr_mrubmedycx1qdb91lo1_1280.jpg

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
I started a game as the Byzantine Empire in 867 with the intention of playing it all the way through to the end and then converting it to EU4 so I could play as the Roman Empire. By this pint in time the kingdoms of Egypt, Africa, and Italy have all become core territories of the Roman Empire. I hadn’t been paying much attention to the rest of the world outside of helping the cadet branch of my Dynasty that ruled Bavaria (which doesn’t even rule actual Bavaria), but I wish I had because a Hungarian ruled Seljuk Turk Empire is really close to forming the Russian Empire and I’m constantly having to fight with the Bavanid Empire to over Mesopotamia. England, Scotland, and Asturias were ruled by the Norse and the Muslims so when I ended the schism and made Catholicism a heresy they stayed Catholic only to be liberated by Catholics later on. Norway is Orthodox and an ally through marriage, but it looks like I might have to intervene in a civil war to save my ally from his brother.

tumblr_mrubmedycx1qdb91lo1_1280.jpg

Well THAT'S an interesting game...