Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Been playing the AGOT mod lately. Started as a custom lord in Wendwater during the Crowned Stag start, like I always do once the mod is updated...

It's funny but everytime I made that start, it seems that Robb Stark's life ends pretty badly:
*The very first time I did this, Robb rebelled against Robert's son, lost and got sent to the wall. Oh, and the Starks lost Winterfell and the North (but not all their title). That being said, Robb's daughter did eventually manage to snatch the Iron Throne in that game but she was the only Stark queen...
*The second time, Robb first had a dispute with his brother in law the King (Stannis' son) which resulted in Robb being castrated. Then, while the King faced a major rebellion, Robb tried to reconquer some territory that the King had taken from him, but he was eventually defeated, arrested and executed.
*The third time, he died under suspicious circmustances, which generally means that he was assassinated but the murderer wasn't found.
*The fourth and current time, he was fiancéd to the Robert and Cersei's only daughter (and later queen), but the bethroal got cancelled when the queen married an Ironborn (a Botley). And later on, he eventually caught an illness (the Grey plague I think) and died.

If you take into account what happens to him cannonically, guy just can't catch a break...

Other noticeable things from my current game include:
*Tyrion Lannister marrying Asha Greyjoy. Last I checked, Asha had two failed pregnancy but the third one managed to produce a son who is an attractive dwarf.
*Margeary is currently trying to claim the Reach from her brother Wilas. And she's winning.
*Robert and Cersei only had one child: a daughter named Belandra (the once fiancé of Robb Stark that I mentionned). She got overthrown by a coalition of Lords led by Lady Waywoond (the LP of the Vale since Jon Arryn died childless)... and including her grandfather and once regent, Tywin Lannister.
*Stannis was the King that replaced his niece. But he does have two Lord Paramounts who hate him: Renly (not surprising) and Ned Stark, because he imprisonned him (I don't know why). Stannis isn't married to Selyse Florent but he currently only has one child, a daughter. And while he didn't convert to R'hlorr, he has sympathies for Eastern Religions.
*Viserys did a bit better than in canon. Lord Velaryon tried to have him become Lord of Dragonstone, but he got vainquished by Stannis (and that was before Stannis became King). Viserys got imprisonned by Queen Belandra, got a trial under Stannis and died in the subsequent trial by combat that he chose. Oh, and he married a Mantarian woman with whom he had a son, Aerys.

Concerning my family, I haven't achived much so far. My character got married and had five children:
*Arianne, my only daughter and my eldest child. She married Lord Narbert Wylde and she currently has two children with him.
*Erryk, the eldest son. Pretty sure he isn't a cool guy because he is slothful and arbitrary and it seems he also has a few other vices. He also happens to be a zealot and has a mediocre diplomatic education. The one thing he has for him though is that I managed to have him marry Daenerys and she's currently pregnant with their first child.
*Allaric, my second son. Not really impressive with his mediocre Stewardship education, though he is more competent and sympathetic than Erryk. But he is also the only one of my sons who has no chance of getting knighted (I couldn't make him a squire because his martial is too crappy and knighting him would cost me a bunch of prestige).
*Maric, my third son. The badass of the family: at 16 (maybe even 15), he got his first scar, managed to score third place in his first tournament, and earned his knighthood. He also is a brilliant commander, which currently makes him the best of my children. He also is the only one of my sons to have a child currently (a daughter named Myrcella).
*Morgan, my youngest child and my fourth son. The only one to have inherited his father's Valyrian looks. Still underaged and not married, but I'm not really satisfied with how he is turning.

I just had something happen that hadn't happened to me before.

I just my second female ruler in a game. Her Majesty, Queen Marta of Aquitaine (Martha in English), the eldest daughter of Guilhelm 'the Wise' (William).

He had had two daughters but was only in his late twenties so I expected him to have a son in short order... Then I sent him on a pilgrimage to Canterbury where he proceeded to get sick in the rain and died shortly after coming home.

The girl was 13 when he died, so not only did I have to sit through her Regency (lucky for me no one voted to reduce her power), but her heir was her 6 year old sister Princess Azelma.

She's now married to an English prince (their monarchy is Elective) and just has a son named Filip.

However Marta's mother is a Yngling with a claim to Norway (and parts of Scotland) who launched an adventure to seize it... And she won.

So now my Aquitanian Queen is the second in line for the elective throne of Norway behind some duke... Either way when Mommy Dearest dies, My Marta will have a good enough claim to Norway that I could press it if I wished.

Here's a complete list of the Monarchs of Aquitaine.

Queen Aliénor 'the Great' I (Eleanor)

King Enric 'the Shadow' I (Henry, Grandson of Eleanor I, son of Duke Toumas (Thomas) of Valois, second son of Eleanor of Aquitaine, eldest son Prince Rainer died without issue)

King Guilhem 'the Wise' I (William, second son of Henry I, elder brother Prince Enric became a Knights Templar)

Queen Marta I (eldest daughter of William)

Last edited:
The best part about inheriting that young is having full control over the kids names ;)

I know, a couple of her kids would have had really ugly names, but I found some Occitan ones that didn't require special characters to type.

It's always annoying when there are really good names to use but the game won't allow for copy-pasta so you can never enter them manually.

I know, a couple of her kids would have had really ugly names, but I found some Occitan ones that didn't require special characters to type.

It's always annoying when there are really good names to use but the game won't allow for copy-pasta so you can never enter them manually.

Try looking up the special codes and using Alt+numberpads.

http://www.alt-codes.net/german_alt_codes/

For instance, typing Alt+142 gets you Ä, Alt+148 ö, etc. That page is for German, but there's other pages for other languages too obviously.

Today, I was browsing Reddit when, instead of typing /r/crusaderkings (the subreddit I wanted to visit), I had a brain fart and typed /r/incest instead (and saw things that would drive a Great Old One to madness). :eek:

The inclusion of the Persian provinces and the Zoroastrian religion in the game (and the Divine Blood mechanic, too) created not just a monster, but an army of them. Some of the dynasties featured in the game's AARs and Let's Plays are more inbred than House Targaryen, even outside of the Game of Thrones mod. :D

Last edited:
So far, the names my dynasty has adopted as dynastic names (for the Imperial line) are Berthold and Christopher. And I'm currently playing as Berthold IV.

So, as of 1300:
Werner von Habsburg, Duke of Upper Burgundy
Otto IV 'the Shadow', King of Burgundy, elder son of Werner of Upper Burgundy (younger son Harold -> House of Forcalquier/Provence)
Christopher I 'the Blessed', grandson of Otto IV by Berthold of Dauphine (Berthold is the second son, the elder son Werner -> House of Forez/Dauphine, the younger son Wido - > House Widukind (bastard line), House of Ascalon/Jerusalem (which took the dynastic name Nikolaus before the revocation of the Kingdom) and associated cadet branches)
Berthold I 'the Kind', son of Christopher I
Christopher II 'the Hammer', son of Berthold I
Berthold II 'the Confessor', son of Christopher II
Werner 'the Lionheart', brother of Berthold II (progenitor of the House of Bohemia, which is unfortunately full of heretics because of the Theology focus and insanity on the part of his son)
Berthold III 'the Shadow', second son of Berthold II (eldest son Christopher -> House of Burgundy)
Berthold IV 'the Just', son of Berthold III (currently has a lot of half-brothers and matrilineal nieces and nephews to sort out)

So with the Steam Autumn sale, most of the DLCs are greatly discounted. I have the CKII base game but none of the DLCs; which ones would you consider must-buy? Which DLCs aren't essential but still good to have, and which should I ignore?

Hi all, so I posted this^ way back in December 2014 and immediately got a bunch of great feedback. One of the consensus suggestions was the Charlemagne DLC. Shortly afterwards, I got a PM from user Scarlet-Left who had an extra Steam key for that DLC and very generously gifted it to me. I realize that this is very late, and I think I thanked him through PM at the time, but I was just reminded by looking through my PMs now and wanted to publicly thank him for his generosity :)

I am playing a game as Galicia in the 1066 start, and almost a hundred years later I've founded a titular kingdom of Portugal and conquered a nice chunk of Morocco. I am currently playing as Queen Estevainha 'the Bold', who has some pretty awesome stats, but something puzzles me about her.

My queen can lead armies with a decent 10 Martial score. After a few holy wars of doing precisely that (some even while pregnant!), she has obtained the 'inspiring leader' and 'organizer' commander traits.

How is this possible? I thought the only women who could lead troops in the game had to be Cathar heretics, or be produced by the Joan of Arc event chain. Does Estevainha being called 'the Bold' (which she acquired before I realized she could lead armies) have anything to do with this?

Last edited:
I think being the ruling monarch acts as a bit of a trump card that allows females to bypass some limitations they are otherwise under. If you have Conclave I think the new female status law might have an influence as well.

There's always been a bypass for certain situations, such as wives and mothers being allowed as spymaster, but indeed, Conclave (and a few of the more recent patches as well) have opened up the roles a bit. The female status law *definitely* has an effect. The second to last option (which requires some late game tech) is "legal equality", and then the very last option is "practical equality", where even the opinion modifiers are removed.

I actually credit the big name mods for this too. Once AGoT, Elder Kings, and After the End got big they started asking paradox for merely the option to change things up, because early on these things were hard coded. Even a year and a half ago it was possible for even a casual modder like myself to make a tweak in about 2 minutes to removed the restrictions. I guess as more and more people saw these features Paradox decided to incorporate it into the main game.

There's something that's bugging me, my new Emperor-King of Aquitaine is named Bernat-Ezi, which the Bernat part is Catalan for Bernard.

But the Ezi part isn't showing up anywhere, it's not Occitan and it's not Catalan. Is it short for something? Or did the game add it by mistake?

Here's a complete list of the Monarchs of Aquitaine.

Queen Aliénor 'the Great' I (Eleanor 'the Great', the woman who became Duchess of Aquitaine in her youth, she married at sixteen materially to the first of six husbands, at seventeen she and the Duke of Toulouse succeeded from France, allowing Eleanor to establish Aquitaine as a Kingdom. She then waged a series of wars in conjunction with the surrounding Kingdoms and HRE to tear the heretical French apart. She also placed her daughter 'Eleanor the Usurper' upon the Polish throne.)

King Enric 'the Shadow' I (Henry, Grandson of Eleanor I, son of Duke Toumas (Thomas) of Valois, second son of Eleanor of Aquitaine, eldest son Prince Rainer died without issue)

King Guilhem 'the Wise' I (William, second son of Henry I, elder brother Prince Enric became a Knights Templar)

Empress-Queen Marta 'the Holy' I (Martha, eldest daughter of William I, a genius, brilliant commander, diplomat, court vixen, and carouser, who placed her mother 'Gudrun the Usurper' on the throne of Norway, late in her triumphant reign Martha made herself Empress of Aquitaine.)

Emperor-King Bernat-Ezi I (Bernard, the only son of Prince Serlo, Martha's second son. Bernard was already a Norwegian duke prior to his ascension, having to abandon Norwegian customs caused him to lose face among his new vassals, but a large number of fairs, feasts, and hunts have done much to heal the damage)

Krall

Banned
There's something that's bugging me, my new Emperor-King of Aquitaine is named Bernat-Ezi, which the Bernat part is Catalan for Bernard.

But the Ezi part isn't showing up anywhere, it's not Occitan and it's not Catalan. Is it short for something? Or did the game add it by mistake?

I'm guessing the name comes from this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Ezi_IV

I'm not sure what it means though. The Wikipedia article notes that "Ezi" is also spelt "Aiz" - does that mean anything in Occitan or Catalan?

So despite playing this for years, I only learned about 15 minutes ago how to tell how many troops an enemy can raise rather than just guessing :eek:

On the bright side, my Ireland was able to verify the new 7 year old King of Scotland was indeed suffering a severe lack of confidence from his vassels, and then kick him out of Ulster (My Ireland was aprox modern Republic of Ireland plus Cornwall and one county in Wales. "Scotland" consisted of all of Modern Scotland, Ulster, About 50% of England, and Southern Wales)

An Updated complete list of the Monarchs of Aquitaine.

Queen Aliénor 'the Great' I (Eleanor 'the Great', the woman who became Duchess of Aquitaine in her youth, she married at sixteen materially to the first of six husbands, at seventeen she and the Duke of Toulouse succeeded from France, allowing Eleanor to establish Aquitaine as a Kingdom. She then waged a series of wars in conjunction with the surrounding Kingdoms and HRE to tear the heretical French apart. She also placed her daughter 'Eleanor the Usurper' upon the Polish throne.)

King Enric 'the Shadow' I (Henry, Grandson of Eleanor I, son of Duke Toumas (Thomas) of Valois, second son of Eleanor of Aquitaine, eldest son Prince Rainer died without issue. Already called 'the Shadow' when crowned. Enric's reign was a time of mysterious deaths, sudden kidnapings, swift arrests, and military expansion as Enric's secondary talent was in warfare.)

King Guilhem 'the Wise' I (William, second son of Henry I, elder brother Prince Enric became a Knights Templar, he died unexpectedly at age 32 after becoming ill during a pilgrimage to Canterbury.)

Empress-Queen Marta 'the Holy' I (Martha, eldest daughter of William I, a genius, brilliant commander, diplomat, court vixen, and carouser, who placed her mother 'Gudrun the Usurper' on the throne of Norway. While starting her reign in a regency, Martha's reign eclipsed that of Eleanor the Great's as late in her triumphant reign Martha made herself Empress of Aquitaine.)

Emperor-King Bernat-Ezi 'the Fat; I (Bernard, the only son of Prince Serlo, Martha's second son. Bernard was already a Norwegian duke prior to his ascension, having to abandon Norwegian customs caused him to lose face among his new vassals, his reign was a time of successful wars against the Kingdom of Burgundy, wild hedonism, and a large number of royal bastards, most of whom were legitimized by Bernat-Ezi)

Emperor-King Ubald 'the Impaler' I (Ubald, the only son of Prince Havard of Aquitaine, his reign started in an unstable regency, he had to wage no less than three wars against rebellious vassals, but through the use of vast mercenary armies paid for with the royal treasury Ubald triumphed in time for his majority. Extremely cruel and suffering from severe depression and alcoholism, many wonder if his reign will last long and if he'll soon be succeeded by his sister, Princess Marta).

(My current plan, since Ubald is depressed is to wait for Marta to come of age, if Ulbald has no children and is still depressed at that time, I'll have him off himself... In the meanwhile I plan to make him a tyrant with no bounds.)

Last edited:
Heh, funny. I've recently found myself "relaxing" my rulers grip on intrigue, in hopes someone offs his first son who's a real piece of work. Failing that, I've actually been gaming gavelkind for the opposite reason most people do, making it so that my second son will have power as a Duke of an important region, and plenty of Baronies for the third son.

Heh, funny. I've recently found myself "relaxing" my rulers grip on intrigue, in hopes someone offs his first son who's a real piece of work. Failing that, I've actually been gaming gavelkind for the opposite reason most people do, making it so that my second son will have power as a Duke of an important region, and plenty of Baronies for the third son.

It's fun to screw your ruler over sometimes, and my plan worked like a charm, Ubald killed himself on Princess Marta's sixteenth birthday and she became Empress-Queen Marta II of Aquitaine. :D

Heh, well my ruler just died unexpectedly. He was in his late 60s, so not too unexpected I guess, but he had a lot of + health modifiers. Left to his own devices his first son actually turned out not too bad, just meh stats and arbitrary. Letting his brothers on the council was good enough for them, and the one vassal who still dislikes him (-80) is his cousin, a nominal Duke that would control 6 counties, but is engaged in his own civil war already with his brother... and losing... So the new King will likely be fine in the long run, even married off a useless daughter to the King of Scotland and will leverage that for fun and profit.