COMMAND & CONQUER QUESTIONS

My first question would have to be 'Do the COMMAND & CONQUER games qualify as Alternate History for the purposes of this forum?' (I'm specifically thinking of the 'Tiberium' and 'Red Alert' timelines, which are definitely 'history but not as we knew it').

My second concerns an attempt on my part to apply NATO pay grades to the Global Defence Initiative ranking system given in TIBERIAN TWILIGHT: May I please ask if those in the know feel that my suggestions make sense? (All complaints about this curious mixture of ranks should be sent to the games developers, I only came across them on a Fan Wiki).

General (OF-10)
Lieutenant General (OF-9)
Major General (OF-8)
Brigadier General (OF-7)

Colonel (OF-6)
Major (OF-5)
Captain (OF-4)
Commander (OF-3)
Lieutenant Commander (OF-2)
Lieutenant (OF-1)
Second Lieutenant (OF-1)
Ensign (OF-0)

Sergeant-Major (OR-8)
First Sergeant (OR-7)
Staff Sergeant (OR-6)
Sergeant (OR-5)
Corporal (OR-4)
Lance Corporal (OR-3)
Private (OR-2)
Recruit (OR-1)

I'm writing a tl that's taking me about 500 years on red alert actually. I don't have Einstein teleporting Hitler but yeah I reckon so.

RE GDI ranks why you applying pay grades? For a story or?

Last edited:
Why indeed - Mostly, it must be said, as an intellectual exercise after it struck me that (Unlike the Brotherhood of Nod) the GDI was a conventional military force and would therefore have to keep the pay-books properly organised, which turned my thoughts to the question of appropriate pay grades (A line of thought complicated by the singular mix of ranks in the Global Defence Initiative).