China eyes Siberia

Given their energy needs as a major limiting factor to their security, what conditions might prompt China to try to annex Siberia abd how much might they take? Warfare or illegal immigration followed by a vote, maybe citing Mexican/Guatemalan immigration to tge US as an incentive?

The Bear and the Dragon, one of his better books. :)

I've always thought Tom Clancy's main problem was that the Cold War ended. IIRC, he had some kind of degree in Soviet policy or diplomacy and when the Soviet Union collapsed he had to go outside his element, which he was rather poor at.

The problem with this is that pre-1949, China is too weak to seize Siberia (it can barely hold on to its own territory) and post-1949 , the Soviet Union/Russia has nukes.

Given their energy needs as a major limiting factor to their security, what conditions might prompt China to try to annex Siberia abd how much might they take? Warfare or illegal immigration followed by a vote, maybe citing Mexican/Guatemalan immigration to tge US as an incentive?

I must have missed the part where we annexed Mexico.

I must have missed the part where we annexed Mexico.

The comparison is to the Cession, not the entirety of Mexico. Siberia is a pretty good analogue to that, with the centre of Russian power distant and the land itself unpopulated. However, Siberia is way more developed than the Cession ever was (compared to their respective Metropoles).

Sabot Cat

Banned
I've always thought Tom Clancy's main problem was that the Cold War ended. IIRC, he had some kind of degree in Soviet policy or diplomacy and when the Soviet Union collapsed he had to go outside his element, which he was rather poor at.

Mm, the only degree he had was in English literature.

Huh, could have sworn it said something to that effect on halfasscliffnotes.org... sorry I meant Wikipedia, when I read his article a few years ago.

Of course it may well have, and then got edited out