Challenge: Make China a Capitalist Superpower, 2009

With today being it's 60th anniversary, the People's Republic China has shown a massive amount of progress, military-wise and domestically.

Now how about that being the same- except with China being capitalist?

POD after 1900.

With today being it's 60th anniversary, the People's Republic China has shown a massive amount of progress, military-wise and domestically.

Now how about that being the same- except with China being capitalist?

POD after 1900.

Ok, China may still be technically communist, but in truth it's capitalist. It is also an emergent superpower so I'd say it pretty much fulfils the OP criteria

Of course if you meant democratic then that's an entirely different question

Ok, China may still be technically communist, but in truth it's capitalist. It is also an emergent superpower so I'd say it pretty much fulfils the OP criteria

Yes, I'm perfectly aware of that. It's extremely distant from where it was in 1949.

I mean openly capitalist ever since its modern founding ITTL with democratic elections and a Chinese equivalent to the Bill of Rights.

PRC is already Crony Capitalist Superpower...:p

I mean openly capitalist ever since its modern founding ITTL with democratic elections and a Chinese equivalent to the Bill of Rights.
Well, the thing is, democratic elections and a Chinese equivalent to the Bill of Rights isn't precisely necessary to be capitalist, so how would people trying to fulfil the challenge know that those were requirements?

Well, the thing is, democratic elections and a Chinese equivalent to the Bill of Rights isn't precisely necessary to be capitalist, so how would people trying to fulfil the challenge know that those were requirements?

Well, I guess I jumped the gun on the meaning of capitalist, and used a Western capitalist country as a model system.

But can it happen? Perhaps a modern day Nationalist KMT China?

It's not capitalist at all. It's Leninist Corporatist, with Private enterprise under heavy controls, and corporations needing a majority government control of the board.

KMT wins the Chinese Civil War and then solidifies control over the country following the end of the Civil War. Slow transition towards democracy in the 1970s, along with deregulation because of the oil shock, inflation, and whatnot. By the late 1990s, the Republic of China is internationally recognized as an economic powerhouse and will emerge into the 2000s as the world's second leading superpower following the United States.

Superpower does require military build-up, of course, and I'm sure that could be accomplished by domestic Chinese politicians fearful of war with the USSR, and with American support, of course.