Cato's Cavalry

Impact of a Commander Reputation

I agree that Cato's name does have a benefit here. It can make his side feel more confident of victory and the other side worried about being defeated.

I remember reading somewhere that Churchill and other British leaders were concerned about the impact of Rommels reputation on the morale of the British soliders in WWII. They were concerned that the average soldier would start to think that they could not beat Rommel.

I also remember reading that during the American Civil War, Lee's reputation was much better than many of the Union commanders.

Stubear1012

So...Cato III in prospect?

Goody!

Envy you the job, but this TL must not get stale...

You were worth the CMII. Strangely, not everybody remembers to put it in their sig...:confused:

But I await this younger Cato (and more on that gorgeous Cottia)...

Everyone seems very calm about fighting other Britannians(sp?) but hasn't the land been at peace for generations? at least internally.

Everyone seems very calm about fighting other Britannians(sp?) but hasn't the land been at peace for generations? at least internally.

I think that troops have been fighting on the limes in gaul also hibernation and picts raids as well so possible no large scale fighting but small unit to blood most troops?

Sorry for the delay on this. Real life has been somewhat weird of late.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The group of horsemen that gathered at the centre of the line opposite Cato’s Legion was an… interesting one. There were several bannermen, with standards and other banners, there were officers with plumes and above all there was the idiot in the brightly polished armour that made him stand out like, well, an idiot who wanted people to know exactly where he was and how important he was. On a field of battle that made him a liability, not just to him but also to everyone around him. He might as well have painted himself as an archery target.

Cato spurred Hadrian on towards the group, with Malgo and his two bannerman behind him, and after a long moment the group from Eboracum seemed to notice them before riding out themselves. The man in the shiny armour that would be a smile to the face of any archer worth his salt was in the lead. Ah. Beliatrix. Who seemed to be red-faced with anger.

“Who comes with force of war against Eboracum, capital of the North?” Beliatrix shouted with a great of angry spittle. Cato forced himself not to roll his eyes. Histrionics. The man truly was an idiot.

“I do,” he grated as he nudged Hadrian forwards a few steps. “I command this Legion of cavalry.”

Marcus Junius Beliatrix looked at him in some surprise. “Legion? I don’t understand. Who are you?”

“Legatus Legionis Lucius Tullius Cato. I command the First Legion of cavalry.”

Beliatrix blinked at him, but someone behind him hissed with surprise. Cato flickered his eyes in that direction. Two bannermen. Some underlings. And four men dressed as officers. Gaius Beliatrix had told him that his brother had always had four old friends around him. One was a an idiot, two were sycophants and one was something of an enigma, closed-mouth and slow to comment. The first was called Lucius Caecilius, the next two were called Marcus Gelix and Quintus Rufus Sertorius and the last was one Caius Strophontes. So – which one was it? Or was it more than one?

After a long moment Beliatrix seemed to find his mental equilibrium again and then he stared at Cato. “You lie – Aemilianus is the leader of the First Cavalry Legion.”

Cato stared back at him flintily. “The command was always mine to take up. I have done so. And who are you to be asking me such questions?”

This got an instant reaction. “I am Marcus Junius Beliatrix, the Dux of the North! I have inherited my father’s title and his command!”

“No,” said Cato after a long pause of apparent deep thought. “That is not your title. Lucius Ambrosius Aurelianus Aemilianus is the Dux of the North. The sole Dux. The Dux of Britannia.”

And this infuriated Beliatrix. “Lies! My father left his command to me! His banner, his insignia and his title! I am the Dux in the North. I AM the North!”

“No.” Cato said the word with a finality that made everyone around him blink. “You are not. And your banner and your insignia are worthless. Nothing more than fakes. They did not belong to your father. I should know – he gave the real ones to me. Your brother helped me to smuggle them lout of the city and they are now on their way South to Londinium. You have no title. No claim. Your father transferred his powers to Aemilianus.”

For a moment he thought that Beliatrix might solve all their problems by dropping dead in his saddle from an apoplexy, but sadly the man failed to do so. Instead he drew himself up and then glared at him. “You. Lie. Now – send your so-called Legion away. You have no power here, Lucius Tullius Cato. Go back to Deva – if that’s where you came from.”

“No. We stand against you. You do not command here. The men you lead should not be here. Why should they fight for you? You do not command here!” He shouted the last words. “There should be no battle, because there is no cause for a battle. Would you bring the evil of civil war to Britannia? Where does your loyalty lie?”

Beliatrix looked at him, his nostrils flaring with rage. “I have a right-”

“To cause a war? Over your so-called inheritance?”

One of the men behind Beliatrix made a noise of protest and Cato looked at him fiercely. “Be silent!” Be still! You think that this is a matter of inheritance only? No! This a matter of preventing civil war! You wish to fight here? In this place? At this time? Why? Beliatrix. Does. NOT. COMMAND. HERE!”

He bellowed the last words, shouted them into the air around them and as he did he saw a susurration in the lines of the nearest men. Time to bring this to a conclusion, he thought. Beliatrix was already so angry that he was red in the face and almost vibrating with rage. “Dismiss this force and send them back to the barracks!”

“I command here!” Beliatrix shouted back.

“No,” he grated. “You don’t. Bannermen?”

The two men spurred their horses forwards quickly. Both looked rather wide-eyed at the confrontation unfolding before them, but bother also looked as if they wouldn’t be anywhere else right now.

Cato turned Hadrian quickly in a circle as he pointed to the bannerman to his right. “Now!”

The man nodded and then pulled at the coverings. As the last pieces of cloth came off then the dragon banner emerged. It flapped once and then blew out fully, inflating as the wind took it. As it did the susurration from the garrison of Eboracum became an open muttering. “The Dragon Banner!” he heard. “Cato is here!” “The Dragon Banner!”

Other men were shouting now, some calling for silence in the ranks, others calling for men to get back to their places. They’re rattled, he thought – and then he caught sight of Beliatrix, who had now turned white, consumed by an even greater rage at the sight and sound of everything going on in front of him and also behind him.

“You know this,” Cato roared at the ranks. “The Dragon Banner! My father’s banner, and before him the banner of every Cato for more than a hundred years! The banner that flew at Alt Clud! The banner that flew along the Rhenus at the downfall of the Hunnoi! The banner that led the charge that relieved the garrison at Din Eidyn when the Painted People last breached the Northern Wall! The banner that held the Great Bay! Would you fight me, who holds it? Would you?”

The noise from the men opposite him was no longer a susurration, no longer a muttering, no longer unrest. “No!” came the cry from many throats, as the soldiers wavered. Beliatirix was shouting something incoherently now, waving his arm and bellowing some kind of orders that no-one was listening to as he had lost control of the situation completely. The officers behind him were all looking about and scowling, shouting themselves.

Now. Now was the time. Caro stood up in his stapeda and gestured at the second bannerman, who quickly pulled off the cloth covering from the other standard. Gold flashed in the sunlight, catching the outspread wings and proud head of the Eagle. The Eagle that his ancestor had recaptured at Alt Clud. The Eagle of the long-gone Ninth Legion. The Eagle that had not been on any battlefield since that far-off day in Valentia. “Would you fight against THIS? The very symbol of what we are, what we have taken back and what we have to protect?”

Silence fell for a brief, almost stunned moment. And then chaos erupted in the ranks of what had been the forces commanded by Beliatrix.

Brilliant. This Cato may be unsure of being worthy of his ancestors but he has just proved himself to be so.

More than just worthy. From what I remember of the first book, I would like to think that Grandfather Cato will be looking down on him with no small amount of pride. Not just for him being family, but at the man his son raised.

And so it was that Beliatrix's coup got scuppered. Hopefully he'll go quietly.

Heh. Fat chance. Screaming and whining is more his style, I'm afraid. OTOH, if no one follows him, he's not much of a threat.

Just throw him into the Turris Londinii and throw away the key.
(OK, so you would have to build the tower of London first....)

This is honestly the best possible outcome for "Dux" Beliatrix in all of this--he's avoided a crushing military defeat, so maybe all he has to look forward to is imprisonment, exile, or execution...?

Regarding being visible on the battlefield, given that leaders of armies led in those days, rather than just directed it was the standard that they be visible, in the case of the Romans Caesar wore a red cloak into battle so his men could see him and centurions wore those helmets with the plumes sideways

This is honestly the best possible outcome for "Dux" Beliatrix in all of this--he's avoided a crushing military defeat, so maybe all he has to look forward to is imprisonment, exile, or execution...?

Possibly none of those, although we may have just Beliatrix the Younger's new court jester...

Great strategy on Catos part. To disintegrate the 'enemy' army without a fight is no mean feat.

'Bad' Beliatrix could use the confusion to escape. Though that requires quick thinking and the abbility to accept defeat, both capabilities he hasn't shown so far. I see to possibles outcomes for him: 1. He dies trying to attack Cato or resisting arrest. 2. He is captured and sent to exile. They spare his life because he actually believed he was the rightous dux and has done no terrible deeds while being dux (I might be wrong there, but he didn't have that much time for screwing up everything).

Remains the question what happens with the puppet master. Escape and capture are both possible IMO.

Hoyahoo9

Donor
Damn Cymraeg, I missed you these past few days. This is one of the first things I check to read every morning. Brilliant advancement of the story, as usual. Thank you.

I've been wanting to ask sometime,what's with soldiers being called auxiliaries?Do you mean limitanei?There aren't any distinctions between native and Roman soldiers anymore because Caracalla made every freeman in the empire a citizen.

I've been wanting to ask sometime,what's with soldiers being called auxiliaries?Do you mean limitanei?There aren't any distinctions between native and Roman soldiers anymore because Caracalla made every freeman in the empire a citizen.

Auxiliaries could easily be the, well, auxiliary forces. So. Your main fighting units are (heavy) cavalry and armoured infantry. The auxiliaries could be light horse scouts, possibly missile weapon troops, and so forth.

Back in the Classical days, yes, the Auxiliaries were raised from colonial regions - but they had those different specializations. Balearic slingers, Arab light horse, whatever.

Here, I imagine, there could remain the distinction between the shock core of professional fighters and the rest, whether those be specialized forces or citizen levies. Say.

And so it was that Beliatrix's coup got scuppered. Hopefully he'll go quietly.
Don't forget the foreshadowing that Cymraeg gave us two chapters earlier.
As he strode to the door he adjusted his breastplate slightly. Well. Time to act again. Time to misdirect. And also time to murder again. (emphasis mine)

Opening the door he strode down the corridor. The courtyard outside was a hive of slightly bewildered activity. Poor fools. Well – they just needed something to fight for. Perhaps he should give them that?

Sounds like this might not be a battle as easily won as it first appears.

Just wanted to chime in on how well this is done. Pax Britannia may have a whole new meaning in ttl. kudos