C.S.A. Movie: Confederate History!

Actually, the disease of this AH movie is
common to a lot of AHs: panglossianism.
The author wants to show that "we live in the
best of the possible worlds", so he manipulates the events to "prove" this.... .

Wyrmshadow

Banned
Panglossianism

The term "panglossianism" describes baseless optimism of the sort exemplified by Pangloss's beliefs, which are the opposite of his fellow traveller Martin's pessimism and emphasis on free will. The phrase "panglossian pessimism" has been used to describe the pessimistic position that, since this is the best of all possible worlds, it is impossible for anything to get any better. The panglossian paradigm is a term coined by Stephen Jay Gould and Richard Lewontin to refer to the notion that everything has specifically adapted to suit specific purposes. Instead, they argue, accidents and exaptation (the use of old features for new purposes) play an important role in the process of evolution. Some other scientists however argue that the implication that many (or most) adaptionists are panglossians is a straw man.

NomadicSky

Banned
I am an immigrant to the States. I was born in Poland but I've lived in Texas for 24 years. I don't have any of that 'white-guilt' that many poeple here (the South) suffer from: Where they're afraid to say ANYTHING for fear of being called racist.

What a giant steaming pile.

When I first saw the trailer for this movie a year ago, I was offended as a Texan and a human being.

Well researched? What did he study? A black man's feverish nightmare idea of what a white guy's wet-dream would look like?

Everything about this movie is in poor taste. It offends me and NONE of my relatives had a thing to do with this period of america's history.

Just that preview I saw was enough. Owning another human being, in the 21century. MLK being born a slave, these are sick ideas.

Even if the above scenerio played out slavery would have had to come to an end esp with the annexation of the North.

Actually, the disease of this AH movie is
common to a lot of AHs: panglossianism.
The author wants to show that "we live in the
best of the possible worlds", so he manipulates the events to "prove" this.... .
I think you missed the point of the movie--the whole idea was to highlight racism in our own real history by creating this imaginary history where it was much more overt and obvious. The idea definitely was not to make us feel good about real history by contrast with the C.S.A. history!

And for the same reason, people who complain about the implausibility of this history are missing the point too. It wasn't meant as plausible AH, it was just meant as a distorted mirror of the real world.

Wyrmshadow

Banned
it was just meant as a distorted mirror of the real world.
That's what offended me.
These divisions won't be mended if race baiter's keep dregding up old garbage like this.

It's like argueing with a soon to be ex-wife. No matter WHAT the current fight may be about.. she'll drag up any old grabage out of the depths of history just to try and make you feel like crap. Things that should be long dead and forgotten. Wounds won't heal if you keep picking at them.

I think you missed the point of the movie--the whole idea was to highlight racism in our own real history by creating this imaginary history where it was much more overt and obvious. The idea definitely was not to make us feel good about real history by contrast with the C.S.A. history!

And for the same reason, people who complain about the implausibility of this history are missing the point too. It wasn't meant as plausible AH, it was just meant as a distorted mirror of the real world.
The whole point about distorted mirrors is to make one conform with the status quo...

What I hated about the whole thing was that if focused solely on slavery and racism. I am sure if the CSA was to win some how, there would be other things going on other than such a severe emphasis on slavery.

Wyrmshadow

Banned
In the trailer, the part where the actor says "Slavery is what defines us as a nation".... it looks like he's about to burst into tears. The poeple that had roles in this movie probably hate themselves now.

Sachyriel

Banned
Besides, before the 'Cotton Curtain' went up, Canadians would have smuggled in Assault Rifles for rebel uprisings.

And it's a coast-to-coast nation, it's easy to go around the sides and down the rivers and lakes...

Besides, before the 'Cotton Curtain' went up, Canadians would have smuggled in Assault Rifles for rebel uprisings.

And it's a coast-to-coast nation, it's easy to go around the sides and down the rivers and lakes...

The CSA conquered the USA in this movie, along with all of Latin America and much else besides. In OTL, the South conquering the North would have been ASB. The South wouldn't have had much incentive to industrialize, so there would be few colonies and nothing like the "Tropical Empire" some dreamed of creating. The CSA in OTL 2008 would be an isolated, impoverished pariah state much like apartheid South Africa in its last years, and likely far worse.

Forget bad...

I watched this when I still had IFC as part of my cable, and man, was this bad. This actually manages to make Turtledove's series look like Citizen Kane.

If you're taking this as a "serious" alternate history, then you're not going to enjoy it. View it through the paradigm of satire and it becomes a lot more interesting. I, for one, enjoyed it. Plausibility points don't come into play because it's intended as a satire.