Best movies about the Battle of Gettysburg

In about a month, me and my family will be travelling to Gettysburg and we are interested in learning up on Civil War History (specifically the battle of Gettysburg). Does anyone know what the Best movies about the Battle of Gettysburg are?

Also, while on the topic, are there any areas in Gettysburg that you reccomend I Check out? because this will be the First Battlefield I have ever visited, I would like to know which Points of Interest you guys would reccomend.

If you've got four and a half hours to kill (and don't mind some Lost Cause-y bullshit), it's hard to beat Gettysburg.

The whole movie is just build up to Amistead saying "For Virginia" and the whole battle line moves forward with the music and the camera that pan over the battle field. Goose bumps.

Strange, I thought the movie was a tribute to the 20th Maine and it all leads up to Chamberlin charging down Little Big Top and saving the Union. Goose bumps.
Seriously, it was filmed on or near the actual sites and used literally thousands of re-enactors. I think it is probably the best cinematic version of the battle we are likely to get.

Watch the movie Gettysburg. I have watch the movie many times. Also I had just visited the Battlefield July 1st thru the 4th of this year. The parts of the movie that was filmed on the battlefield was devils den and little round top. most of the rest of the movie was filmed on a site just southwest of the actual battle. I would start out at the visitor center and go over the battle field in parts over 2 or 3 days. There is the 1st days action just east of Gettysburg, the 2nd days actions Devils Den, Wheat Field, Peach Orchard, and Little Round Top. On day 3 there was Picketts Charge to Cemetery Ridge. There are many monuments all over the Battle Field. I would use a guide if your not familiar with all of the Battle. I tho studied the battle and after having been to see the Battlefield I have a whole new look on what happened there and when the men on both side had to fight over. If you want to take pictures use a camera with lots of memory. If you do watch the movie a lots of the scenes were filmed on the site were they do the reenactments at.

If you've got four and a half hours to kill (and don't mind some Lost Cause-y bullshit), it's hard to beat Gettysburg.

In don't think it's Lost Cause-y to portray Confederates as people who thought they were on the edge of winning their war. It is a genuine tragedy in a lot way not just for Longstreet (principal Southern POV character IMHO) can't convince Lee not to do something stupid. Just because we have little sympathy for the Southern cause doesn't mean you can't sympathize with people who think they're about to win a war and then don't.

Gods and Generals was horribly Lost Cause-y though.

In about a month, me and my family will be travelling to Gettysburg and we are interested in learning up on Civil War History (specifically the battle of Gettysburg). Does anyone know what the Best movies about the Battle of Gettysburg are?

Also, while on the topic, are there any areas in Gettysburg that you reccomend I Check out? because this will be the First Battlefield I have ever visited, I would like to know which Points of Interest you guys would reccomend.

I grew up just east of Gettysburg and have been there more times than I can count. The best movie by far is the already mentioned Gettysburg which is a good over view of the battle. I find it a little too kind to the Confederacy and lacks a few important details. It never mentions that Lee had free blacks rounded up and sent South. It also down plays Meade's good eye for the lay off the land and it's defensive potential.

As for what to see... The new(ish) National Military Park Museum and Visitor's Center is a good Civil War Museum. The Park's driving tour is a great way to see the battlefield. Be sure to get out and walk around Devil's Den and Little Round Top. If you have time run the mile of Pickett's Charge. You'll get a pretty good idea of how stupid it was to order that charge.

If you get hungry both the Farnsworth House and the Dobbin House are very good. They're a bit pricey, but it's worth it for a least one meal.

For shopping there are numerous gift and memorabilia shops. If you're looking for art Lord Nelson's Gallery is excellent. As for books...you can do no better than For the Historian. They have a great selection of military books, including almost every Osprey military book.

There are of course a myriad of other touristy shops and activities. If you have time look around and have fun.

Benjamin

Watch the movie Gettysburg. I have watch the movie many times. Also I had just visited the Battlefield July 1st thru the 4th of this year. The parts of the movie that was filmed on the battlefield was devils den and little round top. most of the rest of the movie was filmed on a site just southwest of the actual battle. I would start out at the visitor center and go over the battle field in parts over 2 or 3 days. There is the 1st days action just east of Gettysburg, the 2nd days actions Devils Den, Wheat Field, Peach Orchard, and Little Round Top. On day 3 there was Picketts Charge to Cemetery Ridge. There are many monuments all over the Battle Field. I would use a guide if your not familiar with all of the Battle. I tho studied the battle and after having been to see the Battlefield I have a whole new look on what happened there and when the men on both side had to fight over. If you want to take pictures use a camera with lots of memory. If you do watch the movie a lots of the scenes were filmed on the site were they do the reenactments at.

IIRC, most of Day 1 and 2 was filmed on hills and the fields further to the south because they could not film the actual battle scenes on the field itself. They could do close-ups of certain scenes at the battle locations but most of the shooting was done elsewhere.

Day 3 I think was the only time they were really allowed on the ground because they followed Picketts charge exactly.

At least, that is what I recall from the DVD extras...

IIRC, most of Day 1 and 2 was filmed on hills and the fields further to the south because they could not film the actual battle scenes on the field itself. They could do close-ups of certain scenes at the battle locations but most of the shooting was done elsewhere.

Day 3 I think was the only time they were really allowed on the ground because they followed Picketts charge exactly.

At least, that is what I recall from the DVD extras...

Little Round Top and Devils Den on the Second Day was filmed on Location. Day 1 and day 3 was at the reenactment site. The red barn at the end of the second day was also at the reenactment site were Longstreet see wounded General Hood. it is said in the movie and they mention it at the park about what was and was not filmed on the battlefield and reenactment site.

Also Picketts Charge was filmed at the reenactment site The clove of trees is in the center of the reenactment site. The area on the actual Battlefield has way to many monuments and plaques that would have to be covered in any filiming which would have been very hard to do. There is a monument- plaque nearly every 20 to 25 feet for each regiment that was on cemetery ridge.