Best Case Scenario for Confederate during Hood's 1864 Invasion of Tennessee?

Anaxagoras

Banned
With a POD no earlier than November 20 (the day the Army of Tennessee crossed the Tennessee River), what is the best case scenario for the Confederates in the Franklin-Nashville Campaign?

IOTL, they came close to scoring a major victory at Spring Hill, that might have snuffed out 20,000 Union soldiers. But it all came to grief at Franklin on November 30 and Nashville on December 15-16, where Hood's army was basically wrecked as a fighting force.

I don't think it's realistic for the Confederates to win the campaign, if that mean defeating Thomas and capturing Nashville. But I think it's clear that they could have done much better than they did.

Edward IX

Banned
@Anaxagoras I think that the best place to start would be for JBH not be such a idiot and decide to "punish" commands. I cringe when I read about the campaign's. I mean imagine being in a tattered uniform with no shoes fighting in freezing mud.

I have a sister who lives in Nashville. I spoke to her this morning and she told me it was 22 degrees and freezing rain.

The fact JBH was so unfit for anything more than division command can't be overlooked. So to start the best case scenario, start with removing him.

I have always wanted to read a TL where Forrest takes command ala Stuart at Chancellorsville. I also know that due to his views he never advance to the degree of command, but Cleburne being in overall command, would be great.

I don't think it's realistic for the Confederates to win the campaign, if that mean defeating Thomas and capturing Nashville. But I think it's clear that they could have done much better than they did.

Capturing Nashville was well within reach for Hood, had he successfully removed Schofield's force from the campaign at Spring Hill. As @robertp6165 noted the last time this came up:

Well, first of all, I think you are dismissing the surrender option somewhat lightly. The road junction at Spring Hill was seen by the Union commanders on the scene as absolutely vital, and if it had been seized by the Confederates, Schofield's army would have been essentially trapped with no place to go. They would have had few options, and none of them good ones.

The loss of Schofield's command..which numbered 20,000 men...would have changed the whole dynamics of the Tennessee Campaign.

--At Nashville in OTL...with Schofield safely in hand...the Union Army numbered less than 60,000. The Confederate Army numbered a little over 30,000 (they had detached a force under Forrest to operate near Murfreesboro, which meant the Confederates had a little less than 30,000 on the field at Nashville itself).

--A Confederate victory at Spring Hill means no Battle of Franklin. So they have over 6,000 more troops at Nashville, and the Union has 20,000 less. The numbers are very nearly even at that point.

--Pat Cleburne and five other experienced Confederate generals are still alive at Nashville, and another six are unwounded and in good health.

--The Army of Tennessee's morale, rather than being shattered by Hood's incompetence and disastrous defeat at Franklin, is running very high. The men have great confidence in their commander, and Hood himself has confidence in himself and his army.

So if the Battle of Nashville took place at the same time as in OTL, the result might have been very different.

However, I don't think Nashville does take place as per OTL. Thomas refused to attack the Confederates until he was absolutely certain of victory. He spent weeks marshaling his forces and building his strength up until he felt he was ready (indeed, General Grant was so impatient with Thomas about this that he actually was in the process of replacing him when the battle occurred). There is no way that Thomas is going to mount an attack on Hood's positions outside Nashville with nearly even numbers going into the battle. So...assuming Hood follows the same strategy as he did in OTL and puts Nashville under siege...one of two things happen.

1) Thomas continues building his forces and eventually attacks, perhaps in January 1865. Or...

2) Grant replaces Thomas with John A. Logan, who has orders to attack immediately, which Logan does. Given the relative evenness of the forces involved, and the much higher morale of the Confederate forces, the battle could go either way.

However, I would argue that a Hood who has been victorious at Spring Hill probably won't follow the same strategy he did in OTL. Hood's was extremely depressed after the twin debacles of Spring Hill and Franklin, and essentially became convinced that defeat was inevitable. It sapped his will to fight and made him indecisive. He put his army into entrenchments outside Nashville, retreated into this headquarters, and basically did nothing. That won't be the case here. He might well do as Grant feared he would do, slip around Nashville, and into Kentucky.

The Lincoln Administration will likely demand that Grant detach troops from around Richmond and send them west to deal with Hood. This might delay the conclusion of the war in the East, maybe even long enough for significant numbers of black troops to reach Lee's army, which would bolster the Confederate defenses there and delay the conclusion even more.

Of course, in the end, it won't mean much. Lincoln's re-election in November 1864 meant the Union would fight on, regardless. Even with a string of unbroken good fortune in 1865, I just don't think the Confederacy had four more years of fight left in it. So in the end, the war ends the same way...but a lot more people are dead.

The Battle of Franklin is Hood’s last opportunity to change the fate of the Army of Tennessee. Contrary to popular belief, the Battle of Franklin was very close run for both sides.

Although the Confederate attack on the Union left flank had little chance of success, the Union centre was at extreme peril when Cleburne’s, Brown’s and French’s divisions struck them.

The initial attack saw two forward unsupported Union infantry brigades retreating back and the Confederates pursued them into their fieldworks. The Union soldiers were unable to fire on the charging Confederates as they would have also struck down their retreating comrades.

The attack broke through the Union centre and captured their breastworks. However, two unanticipated problems occured:
  1. Opdycke's brigade (Opdycke's Tigers) was stationed only a few hundred yards in rear of the Federal center in a defilade position. When the line was broken, his troops rushed to plug the gap and counterattacked the Confederates, successfully pushing them out of the Union breastworks.
  2. The Confederate reserve (second) line was too far to support the breakthrough. The reserve line was marching at standard quick-time when the lead brigades charged nearly 500 yards to the Federal main line. As a result, the reserve line was 800 yards behind the first line when it broke through the Union centre. The reserve line arrived too late as the Confederates had already been thrown out of the Union breastworks about 5 minutes before they arrived.
While it is unlikely that this would be sufficient to destroy the Army of the Ohio, the Army of the Tennessee would have at least mauled them quite badly with destruction not exactly out of the cards (just rather unlikely).

There was the mentioned opportunity at Spring Hill, where Cheatam (due to a misunderstanding of objectives) halted Cleburne from making an attack thay would have cut the road and left Schofield in position to be destroyed in detail. This would allow to besiege Nashville while Thomas only has A.J. Smith’s XVI Corps and some garrison troops.

If Hood actually takes out Schofield's command at Spring Hill, how many men would be needed to guard them, where would they be sent to be imprisoned etc?

I believe capturing the whole lot would hinder any follow-up advances and would hand over the Initiative to Thomas whole might call up on reinforcements.