Base Maps from 550 BC to Modern Day, all in UCS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohio and Kentucky and Virginia. The Carolinas and Georgia too. Maybe it's the rivers? Personally I like rivers in maps, but sometimes it's too close to the US blue.

I think its the rivers, and I agree myself. Actually I didn't realize how close to some of the grays we use for various borders the rivers are until I worked on those maps.

I think its the rivers, and I agree myself. Actually I didn't realize how close to some of the grays we use for various borders the rivers are until I worked on those maps.
I personally double border it if the colors are too close.

Also, I think North Korea was more of a Soviet puppet during the Cold War, not a Chinese one. After the Cold War we don't really seem to show influence that well, or else Burma and Laos are neglected in that way...

It was part of the rearrangement from the Congress of Vienna, iirc.

The Treaty of Fredrikshamn or the Treaty of Hamina (Finnish: Haminan rauha, Swedish: Freden i Fredrikshamn) was a peace treaty concluded between Sweden and Imperial Russia on 17 September 1809.

Original text (sorry find only in russian): "...В устье р. Торнео, острова Бьоркио, порт Риодгам и полуостров, на котором лежит гор. Торнео, будут самыми дальними пунктами Российских владений и граница простираться будет вдоль р. Торнео (Tornio River), до соединения обоих рукавов сей реки близ чугунного завода Кенгис, откуда граница пойдет по течению р. Муонио (Muonio River), мимо Муониониски, Муониоефреби, Палоиоиса, Кютане, Енонтекиса, Келоттиерва, Петтико, Нюймакки, Раунулы и Кильписьярви, даже до Норвегии..." (http://www.hrono.ru/dokum/rusv1809.html)
According to the treaty Sweden ceded parts of the provinces Lappland and Västerbotten (east of Tornio River and Muonio River), Åland, and all provinces east thereof.

Tornealven.jpg

The Treaty shall enter into force after the exchange of documents of ratification, which took place on 1 (13) October 1809 in St. Petersburg.

Tornealven.jpg

I've done the Middle East (TurkishCapabara gave me permission to do so) on the Miocene map, as well as some several bays in some of Africa and fixes to Europe. I'm not happy about how it looks like in the Middle East, but I think it's good for now. All we need to do is fix a ton of islands.

Are you use this map?
Neogene-MioceneGlobal.jpg

Neogene-MioceneGlobal.jpg

Awesome series of maps
Congrats, Sir. Here’s more stuff I’ve spotted:

- East Friesland was added to the Kingdom of Holland in 1806. There were also some changes on its southern borders from 1809 to 1810, but these all took place during the timespan in between your two maps of those years, so shouldn't show up.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/91/Kon-holl.jpg
- The Kingdom of Holland ceased to exist completely in 1810. It was annexed by France along with much of Northern Germany to better monitor and uphold the Continental System. Here's two patches for the area showing the post-1806 and post-1810 situations.

hollandandnortherngerma.png

- I'm not quite sure why you removed the provisional Lithuanian Government established during the Napoleonic Invasion of Russia. One of Napoleon's declared goals during the invasion was the restoration of Polish-Lithuanian lands lost in the Partitions to a restored Kingdom of Poland. He never succeeded in establishing this state and left the captured territories under Lithuanian provisional control until a peace treaty with the Russians would have been signed. It was however 'subordinated' to the General Confederation of the Kingdom of Poland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_Provisional_Governing_Commission
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Confederation_of_the_Kingdom_of_Poland
EDIT: Seems like Romul beat me to the punch.

- French Guiana was captured by an Anglo-Portuguese naval force in 1809, and then occupied by Portugal. It was handed back to France in 1814, but the Portuguese retained a military presence until 1817, so it should be French outlined in that period.
- The formation of the Confederation of the Rhine was more gradual than depicted, and took several years. It was formed in 1806, but some states joined in 1807, and some not until 1808. It also wasn't a unitary state, although it does seem to have had a streamlined constitutional body.

Looking good re the wiki - thinking I'm going to have to get used to the new colour additions/changes.

'Fraid you've lost me re island claim conventions though; where 'elsewhere' do we use dotted lines to represent claims? I did like the addition (possibly by you as I believe Morgan has moved to tighter island borders) of corridors from the claiming island group as it clarified which white independent state was making a claim on Britain/France/etc. but these latest changes just make it harder to see who actually controls the island; surely more important than who's making the claim?

Also (with the addition of the Venezuela shade) the Isla Aves is now incorrectly shown as Dominican and claimed by Venezuela - in fact it's Venezuela-controlled and since 2006 Dominica has dropped its own claim.

Well, I didn't start the line claiming of island groups, but previous maps used dotted lines for island claims as it looked distinct from showing possetion. Generally the area of the PRChinese claims looks neater in this way, and so as long as there is actually land within the claim area to show who actually occupies it, I've used that. Adittionally, there are some islands I've left alone which are impossible to dissentangle because the claim lines of adjacent islands have merged together with little 1-pixel bubbles. It can be altered if people agree with you though.

The Yucatan, then Guatemala should get the Maya color.

It's an 'any Central American Republic' Colour, and Costa Rica just needs it more than Guatemala due to owning an island.

And we are not bringing back the Cuba Colour when it's unncessary.

Updated the 2011 map, and the Wiki one.

GX-UCS 2011.png

Last edited:
And what about Netherlands and Nothern Germany? Are they not part of French Empire? And why Saxony is under Austrian occupation?

Morgan Hauser has patched the Netherlands & North Germany in the post quoted below.

Saxony was, iirc, under Austrian occupation since the 1809 Armistice of Znaim.

The formation of the Confederation of the Rhine was more gradual than depicted, and took several years. It was formed in 1806, but some states joined in 1807, and some not until 1808. It also wasn't a unitary state, although it does seem to have had a streamlined constitutional body.

Between the French influence and the West German outline there's not a lot of room left in the Confederation to show internal borders. You might be able to show Bavaria, and then possibly Saxony and Württemberg, but the rest of it is too small and convoluted in detail to accurately portray, and it just ends up looking like there's some sort of über-Westphalia. I think this is one of those times were "strict accuracy needs to be sacrificed for clarity, visibility and consistency."

Between the French influence and the West German outline there's not a lot of room left in the Confederation to show internal borders. You might be able to show Bavaria, and then possibly Saxony and Württemberg, but the rest of it is too small and convoluted in detail to accurately portray, and it just ends up looking like there's some sort of über-Westphalia. I think this is one of those times were "strict accuracy needs to be sacrificed for clarity, visibility and consistency."

Agreed. This is one of those areas that's best left for the Q-BAM to show the detail.

I’ll concede not showing the confederal states, but not the formation. I think it’s significant enough to show because, if memory serves me well, part of the Franco-Russian Treaty of Tilsit included provisions that France would respect the sovereignty of several German states that were ruled by family members of Czar Alexander. As such they didn't join until later.

I've made an attempt to depict it in these patches below, and also the resulting changes to the Holland/North Germany patch I did earlier. Also, Prussia ceded all its territories west of the Elbe in the Franco-Prussian Treaty of Tilsit. I added the non-contiguous territories back to 1806 because they were just considered occupied Prussian territory at that point, and to better show that one of the main causes of the War of the Fourth Coalition was Franco-Prussian rivalry in Northern Germany.

Here's the situation in 1806, in 1807, and in 1808 when all the remaining German states were consolidated in the confederation with the exception of Prussia and Austria.

germanconfederation.png

hollandandnortherngerma.png

Also, not covered in these patches:
- After its occupation by Russia in March 1809, Gotland was retaken by Sweden in May of that year and not held by Russia afterwards.
- Rhineland-Westphalia should be Prussian in 1815.
- Rhineland-Westphalia, Saxony, and Poland should look different in 1814, as the Polish-Saxon Question wasn't resolved until 11 February 1815.
- There was a Free City of Danzig from 1807 to 1814.

Last edited:
A patch I've been woking on, I'm not totally happy with it, but that's more because their's to much detail for the map size.

Includes;
-Corrected internal border of BiH and Srpska.
-Alterations to Bosnias border.
-Changes to the Northern Adriatic coast.

Balkan Coast.png

Attempt to improve Yugoslavia.

A patch I've been woking on, I'm not totally happy with it, but that's more because their's to much detail for the map size.

Includes;
-Corrected internal border of BiH and Srpska.
-Alterations to Bosnias border.
-Changes to the Northern Adriatic coast.

:sigh:

That's two patches for the same region in as many pages, both correcting the current basemap in entirely different ways :( I like the coastline improvements on this, but as far as I can see the Republika Srpska was more accurate on the previous version (as far as I know the BiH does not have a large spherical projection as it appears here due to attempts to include small salients from the Republika Srpska).

Last edited:
Update to 1815:

- Added the Grand Duchy of Poznan.
- Because of the second Treaty of Paris (1815) France's eastern border provinces from the English Channel to the Swiss border were occupied by the Allies from 1815 to 1818.

1815endofyear.png

Status
Not open for further replies.