Armored Vehicles That Should Have Seen Service

My nomination is the M60-2000/120S as an infantry support tank alongside the Abrams.
v13764_120SMainBattleTankHR.jpg

And a notable mention in the M8 Buford.

The Neue Gepanzerte Plattform: One base for all (heavy) armoured vehicles of the German armed forces. Can you imagine the long term savings of this project. And think about it: An IFV comparable to an upgunned Puma, a better MBT than the Leopard2 and support vehicles derived from it. That would be awesome, although perhaps not that reasonable.

The Cadillac Gage Stingray light tank should have been adopted by the US Army IMO, but it has only been used by Thailand.

stingray_light_tank.jpg

For me it is the LKII-Wagen of 1918.

Would have entered service, but that was cut short by the end of the war. It did see service in Sweden's army, being license-built.

Australian Cruiser Tank Mark III and Mark IV. Roughly equivilent in armour to all other allied medium tanks and the AC4 was notably better armed than (we're talking a 17 pounder armed prototype in 1943... you don't see the 76mm armed Sherman or 17 pounder armed Sherman Firefly until Feb '44ish).

Ultimatly production beyond the Mark I and a handful of pre-production Mark IIIs was dropped since second hand Grants were more readily avalible. Probably a fair decision in 1944 given the limited Japanese armour in the regions Australian forces operated... but post-war something of a poorer decision: until our Centurions entered service during the early to mid-1950s we did not have any armour truelly capable of taking on more modern medium tanks (would have been nice to have a hundred or so AC4s availbe to send to Korea...).
AC3_tank_%28AWM_101155%29.jpg
AC_E1%28AWM_P03498.010%29.jpg

I'd go along with the 120S: it probably wouldn't have seen U.S. service, but could've been an option for M-60 operators overseas.

The M-8 and Stingray also should've been in U.S. service.

West Germany had a plan to upgrade Leopard Is with the 120-mm gun for their Territorial Army (Reserve) brigades, but the Wall coming down ended that idea.

An MRAP before its time.:rolleyes: Can anyone tell me what in the world this is?:confused:
kp1.jpg

Even if the Cadillac Gage Stingray didn't enter wider service it seems to have influenced the Israeli M60 Sabra. Creating a niche product to compete against another niche is never that successful but if its based on a popular platform it stands a better chance.;)

Apart from the obvious political ramifications, I nominate the "E"-series tank project of late WW2-Germany. Simply because it was a reasonably sane project that adhered to principles like (relative) simplicity and efficiency, especially compared to the quagmire of conflicting r&d, financing and what still seems like thousands of different variants of weapon systems during the 3rd Reich.

Except for the E-100 tank, of course.

An MRAP before its time.:rolleyes: Can anyone tell me what in the world this is?:confused:
kp1.jpg

Even if the Cadillac Gage Stingray didn't enter wider service it seems to have influenced the Israeli M60 Sabra. Creating a niche product to compete against another niche is never that successful but if its based on a popular platform it stands a better chance.;)

That's a Swedish truck based APC from the 40s. You'll find detail in Jane´s AFV of WWII.

T25E

The T25 Medium Tank. All the good things of the Sherman, plus a better shape and a 90mm Gun. 40 were built in early 1944, but the army didn't want it, prefering to stay with the Sherman.

T25E1_squa.jpg

That's a Swedish truck based APC from the 40s. You'll find detail in Jane´s AFV of WWII.

Yes, Volvo/Scania (depending on which truck chassis it was placed) KP, a modular armour that was moved from truck to truck when it was worn out.

Official designation is KP-bil m/42 and it entered service in late 1942. The armoured infantry of the three ww2 Swedish armoured brigades were fully motorised with these APCs.

The one on the image is a later modification though - the ring above the steering cabin was mounted together with a dual 8mm watercooled MG in the late 40s.

kpbila.jpg