...And Still It Laughs

Prologue - The Roman Empire

1204 A.D.

How do you unite that which divides against itself? How do you preserve that which has lived for two thousand years already? How do you give life to that which is already dead?

It was a great Crusade, perhaps even the last of its name. A host of knights descended onto the streets of the city that bore the name of a warrior-saint, only to see the walls shatter, the gates fall open, dying screams of the Varangian Guard filling the air. Thousands of men of the cross fought, died, advanced, scattering blood of their victims on the fertile harvest of death.

It was a blasphemy.

None have succeeded here. Not the Persians, not the Arabs, not the Slavs. Even great Barbarossa himself shuddered at the thought of assaulting the great walls, the most heavily fortified defenses in the world. And still the Franks and the Venetians redoubled their efforts, until there were no more defenders left.

This was the city of Constantinople, the jewel of Christendom, the glittering prize of the East full of treasures collected over a millenium. And this city was about to fall to those who professed the heretical cross, the hated Latins, whose greedy eyes have targeted it many times, failing again and again only to strengthen their desire for rape and plunder.

Theodore Lascaris was not a man of faith, yet even he uttered a prayer. Many urged him to leave the city, and yet he decided to stay against the advice of his family, his friends, his once comrades in arms... They were cowards, but perhaps they were sensible cowards. There was little hope here but that of ruin, and once the last of the defenders fell... Theodore did not want to think what would happen.

His regiment - or, rather, whatever troops still had some kind of fighting spirit left, was around him, many battered, bleeding from small cuts, wounds of every stripe, their faces covered with bruises. This was going to be their last stand. If the Latins penetrated here, all was going to be lost.

Theodore asked himself again why the God would allow this to happen. He prayed with redoubled strength, as he had all along... and all was for naught. His prayers were not answered; he could tell that his men were just as desperate.

Are we not Romans, he thought? The very same Romans whose legions once ruled over the known world? The same Romans who vanquished the Persian, held back the Arab, crushed the heretic and the barbarian alike under their iron heel? The same Romans whose spirit spread the faith of Christ’s apostles through all of Europe and beyond? Were they really about to fall to the barbarians who wore his very symbol on their armor?

It was as if the God himself abandoned them, instead choosing to side with the heretics, the traitors, the barbarians...

Theodore’s vision was blurred with sweat, and yet there was some kind of terrible clarity to it all. The same God that the Roman Empire has once served has betrayed him, betrayed them, betrayed them all. The end was near, and all of a sudden, the cross he wore under the armor felt like a heavy burden instead of a symbol of reassurance it has always been to him and his like.

He felt as if there was some kind of a pulse vibrating through his entire body; his sword felt like it was thirsty for blood. If this was a feeling of approaching death, he did not mind it much.

And then, his lips mouthed the words, and it was not the name of Christ that he was invoking. If the Lord of Heaven was not listening... then perhaps someone else was. And perhaps, that someone else also longed for battle, vengeance, and blood Theodore’s blade was going to spill. It was as if there was a voice inside of him, and this voice commanded him and his blade.

It was a voice more ancient than time itself, and for a moment, Theodore found himself in its thrall. Then, he pointed his sword at the advancing Latins.

“Give them hell.”

And so it was done.

:eek:

Satanist Byzantines!

:D:cool::D:cool::D

...It would take something crazy like that to pull Byzantium out of the fire in 1204, I'd agree.

:eek:

Satanist Byzantines!

:D:cool::D:cool::D

...It would take something crazy like that to pull Byzantium out of the fire in 1204, I'd agree.

Satanism pulling Byzantium out of the fire..., now that's irony!

But yes, this should be very interesting:cool:

First, all credit for the idea goes to Agentdark - many thanks! As far as Satanism... I never said anything about Satanism! :D

Second, thank you guys for commenting - your comments will keep this thing going. And who knows how far I will be taking it... it will be a very different world down the line.

Let's just say we are about to see some VERY interesting times ... :cool:

I would say it looks more like the Byzantines are about to re-discover just what it means to be Roman: lots and lots of bloodshed. Theodore's battlecry thus seems to be a reference to ancient Rome, IMO.

Great stuff Midgard! Wouldn't it be strange if your Byzantines, pent up with Orthodox fury against the Lations, stark talking about the need to strike back thusly: ROMA DELENDA EST!

I would say it looks more like the Byzantines are about to re-discover just what it means to be Roman: lots and lots of bloodshed. Theodore's battlecry thus seems to be a reference to ancient Rome, IMO.

Great stuff Midgard! Wouldn't it be strange if your Byzantines, pent up with Orthodox fury against the Lations, stark talking about the need to strike back thusly: ROMA DELENDA EST!

Some good observations! But I will neither confirm or deny it just yet :D

One hint though: VENETO DELENDA EST! :cool:

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn B'yzantinowank

So we're going to destroy Venice, then? It's all good.

Well, I've got some serious plans... obviously, some plausibility has to be, well, not exactly thrown out of the window, but... umm... well, disbelief might have to be suspended a bit. But I shall try to make it as realistic as possible. :)

You should visit the site of "Modern Satanism" to get some inspiration (Laveyan satanism is dumb). Just do a google search, you should find it easily.

In the name of Satan, Lucifer, the light-bearer, our most revered Lord, let us avenge 1,000 years of murder and persecution! Let us bring light into the world!!!!

You should visit the site of "Modern Satanism" to get some inspiration (Laveyan satanism is dumb). Just do a google search, you should find it easily.

In the name of Satan, Lucifer, the light-bearer, our most revered Lord, let us avenge 1,000 years of murder and persecution! Let us bring light into the world!!!!

I am actually more interested in generating a pseudo-religious ideology several centuries ahead of schedule... basically to have an anti-Enlightenment, if it makes any sense. We shall see what exactly it is going to be, but one has to consider the circumstances and the era from which it emerges. I would not want to force the XXth or the XXIst century sensibilities on XIIIth century events and characters, which would, then, render the entire premise implausible. Remember - the Republican Romans (who we consider to be one of the more democratic states in ancient history) would have probably thought the Draka to be something close to an ideal state :)eek:)... sensibilities not only change, but also impact what kind of ideologies, philosophies, and religions they produce.

Christianity was produced by a persecuted group with initially little political power (but with a high number of intellectuals attracted to it), and the first few centuries of its existence reflect that, resulting not only in the spread of religion, but ALSO in multiple schisms, and its eventual adoption by the political elite. Islam was produced by the fringe tribes of an overpopulated desert territory, ready to move out and conquer, and the first few centuries of its existence definitely show that. The new ideology of alt-Byzantium is produced by a people longing for return to glories long past, surrounded by the enemies on all sides, and with long grudges. One can only draw his own conclusions, especially if one considers that most ideologies and religions are a product of their environments, and develop based on the changes to the environment, both inflicted by them and not.

I am actually more interested in generating a pseudo-religious ideology several centuries ahead of schedule... basically to have an anti-Enlightenment, if it makes any sense. We shall see what exactly it is going to be, but one has to consider the circumstances and the era from which it emerges. I would not want to force the XXth or the XXIst century sensibilities on XIIIth century events and characters, which would, then, render the entire premise implausible.

Your points are well-taken. Indeed, according to Modern Satanists, Satanism is Darwinism, and there was no such thing at the period you are working on. So you are quite right. Now, Satanists have always been closer to nature, and witchcraft was based on some ancient heathen religions.

My guess is that the advent of Satanism would lead to an earlier discovery of Darwinism. But of course it would take some time!:rolleyes:

At the time of the period you are describing, Satanism was considered as absolute evil. No one in his sane mind could possibly consider it as a true religion. Now, I am not sure the character you are describing is perfectly sane:p...

Besides, the word devil comes from the word "diabolus", the "one who severs and dissembles". Now a religion, from "religare", is a thing that binds people together...

Difficult to make Satanism a religion in those conditions. However, I am sure you will come up with an interesting solution, and I cannot wait to see the rest of your thread, which is well-written by the way.

Religious propaganda against Satan and his followers made it very difficult for the bulk of the population to accept it, and I wonder how it might become a "popular" religion. Maybe it would become something akin to Freemasonry...

P.S.: By the way, what do you mean by anti-Enlightenment? Is it against the Enlightenment theories of the XVIIth century, or is it rather another form of Enlightenment (since Lucifer means "light-bearer", and has always been considered to be a teacher for mankind...)?

Midgard

When you hinted you weren't planning on a satanist outcome and given that Theodore is obviously deeply unhappy with the Christian god I was thinking of a sudden conversion to Islam, odd as it sounds. Wondering thinking about it if more a Old Testament attitude, rejected the ideas associated with Jesus and very much an eye [or twenty] for an eye. [True not that different in actuality to OTL Christianity at the time but could be very bloody]

Surprised that the POD is as late as 1204. That will really need something dramatic to get a really massive Byzantium wank from this point. [Have seen TLs say from ~1255-1260 which see an imperial revival but not really a massive one]. Could be very interesting.

Steve

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Now THIS looks very interesting. A very different take on things. I should imagine Lascaris will have some sort of special place in this new religion. The fire of it is going to make the Romans have a rebirth....

Fascinating concept! Go for it Midgard, really want to see more!

Sargon

Surprised that the POD is as late as 1204. That will really need something dramatic to get a really massive Byzantium wank from this point.

Constantinople hasn't fallen yet, there's still a chance for the 4th crusade to be a massive failure. ;)