Their voyage was part of a “Peregrinatio Pacifica” sanctioned by *Pope Lucius III at behest of Thomas Becket and of Louis Capet, who were, respectively, the Archbishops of Canterbury and of Archbishop of Rheims, so as to expiate the sins committed by these nobles, all of whom had been involved in the war between the feudatories of Perche and Alençon (1166-1169), a bloody conflict which had been instigated by King Phillip II against William III of England. Although the expedition is referred as a Crusade in the contemporary English sources, it does seem that, in reality, it was all but a large-scale pilgrimage of warriors orchestrated to solve a political and military conflict between the monarchs of France and England.
I was almost lost on it, but then I read over the update on the Stephanese schism and found it was only in 1171, and so is the decision of England to support the "anti pope". So I gather that on a diplomatical level, the voyage was rather a success in mending the bridges between Philip II and William III. I hardly see the English monarch accepting to be on the same side as the Capetians after such a bloody feud, even if for theological reasons, if relations with its southern neighbor has not improved. Besides, what's the state of England's relations with the HRE and the Welfs? Do they have motive or ground for quarrel with the Welfs that would make the Capetians a lesser evil?

If the Crusaders manage to win and keep the coast of the Outremer in the long run, it may reduce the motivation for Europe to go sailing out into the Atlantic Ocean and discover the New World. One of the biggest reasons Portugal searched out a route around Africa to India is the fact that trading with Asia via Venice had become too expensive for them to tolerate. The last straw was the Ottoman Empire conquering Egypt and closing it off to everyone except Venice, and then shut out Venice each time there's a Venetian-Turkish war (quite frequent), disrupting all European trade with India.
Hard to say. That conquest happened around 1517 if I remember well, by which point the Portugueses were almost two decades active on the trade route they established around the Cape of Good Hope.
As for the Venitian intermediary being a significant factor, I think it's overrated, or even considering Europe as a whole instead of just who mattered in the OTL discovery. The situation was that Castillian expansion towards Seville locked Portugal along the Atlantic coast of the Iberian peninsula, and thus, didn't leave much room for expansion except along the lanes of the Atlantic ocean. Portuguese efforts at exploration and naval expansion begun well in the 14th century and even back in the days of Henry the Navigator, in the early 15th century, I doubt the idea of circumventing Africa to get to India was even in the minds; before the waters south of Cape Bojador were supposed the domain of tempests, monsters and other mythical creatures. I'd say exploration and eventually the riches of the West African trade, from slaves to gold (of which West Africa was a major source at a time when Europe was starving of it) and other precious items, a trade network not so far from Portugal and that was known to originate somewhere south of the great Sahara desert. In that context, I doubt that the route to India was more than the pipe dream for scholars before the 1480s and Portuguese exploration reaching across the Gulf of Guinea and Congo. One could say here the discovery of the route to India was a fortunate accident for Portugal.
After it, once the Egyptian (and subsequently Ottoman) monopoly on trade was broken, the matter was at a close. Everytime the Ottomans closed off their trade route, it only boosted that around Africa, and testamount to it the wars the Ottomans waged to try and fail reestablishing their monopoly by dislodging the Portugueses from India and the Persian Gulf.
So, in the context of this TL where expansion into North Africa is well ahead of OTL schedule, either Portugal or Castille (especially if Portugal is butterflied) will still have this impetuus for expansion in the Atlantic ocean, given they will be locked out of the Mediterranean trade by the Catalan/Aragonese state, conjugated with whatever state, dominion or colony the Catalans, the French and the Sicilian Normans will set up in North Africa ITTL. The other Iberian powers will only have the path of trying the sea route to West Africa and the gulf of Guinea for any chance to captate its riches, which would lead, still as a "fortunate accident", to the discovery of the route to India by the Cape of Good Hope. And given how all monopolies fare when a practicable alternative is found, you'll get about the same result as OTL, except at a probably different pace.

Firstly, congratulations on the child!!!! Hope you three are well 😀

Secondly: The parallels between Lady Mabel and wait for it Cersei Lannister unnerve me, for some reason.

Just came across this timeline 4 years late, better late than never I guess, and I’m amazed at the quality of it, one of the best on this site and it’s not even debatable. Congratulations on the baby, and I can’t wait to read more.

Just came across this timeline 4 years late, better late than never I guess, and I’m amazed at the quality of it, one of the best on this site and it’s not even debatable. Congratulations on the baby, and I can’t wait to read more.
The writer is truly an inspiration for many including me on how a timeline can be long but not boring

I have been off the Forums for a while, indeed. And I didn't realize it had been so long since the previous chapter. I'll be posting a new update in the following post, and, thence I'll reply to the extant posts.

Sorry for the long wait, guys. My work routine lately has been utmost exhausting, still struggling to find some free time to write.

I do have some fortunate news to share. Many of you know that in 2020 my family went through a very rough event, namely, that our first son was born and then died aged only two days. Well, as it happened, me and my wife discovered a new pregnancy in late January this year, and we've been expecting ever since. Well, he (our second son) was born in 14/09, so, these latest weeks have been very very tiring but we're immensely happy!!! It's an amazing feeling, I'm out of words to describe it.

In any case, I'll get the thread going, my friends. Good to see everyone :)
Congratulations to you and to your wife!

Congratulations and welcome back!

Another superb chapter. The intrigue leading to the infighting, and the results being in large part a probable prelude to more conflict between christians in the holy land is quite exiting.

Hello folks, first of all, thanks very much for the compliments and good energies. I welcome and appreciate every of these messages.

Now, I'll be replying to the posts in the thread that came before the latest installments, starting in page 135.

@TickTock The Witch's Dead (#2,700) - A royal union between the (future) Kingdom of Jerusalem and another kingdom is certainly very much possible, from a legal or political standpoint, even if, from a more pragmatic POV, it should be hard enough for a king to administer one polity in Europe and another one in the Levant, with pre-modern technology.

@Sphenodon, @Icedaemon, @Zireael, @avernite - Interesting follow-up to the discussion about a possible discovery of the Rosetta stone (or any similar artifact that could serve to decipher hieroglyphic writing). I still have to work in my head the details of such occurrence, considering the massive implications it should have.

@TickTock The Witch's Dead (#2,714) - Good points about the Russians and the ERE. They are bound to have a longer-lasting relationship, considering that bizarre events such as the Fourth Crusade or the formation of the Latin Empire won't happen.

@Višeslav - Thanks for the compliment! Never thought I'd become a Chad some day.

@TickTock The Witch's Dead (#2,719) - The collapse of the Seljuk Empire and the ascension of the Khwarezmian Empire will happen exactly like OTL. Adopting a more conservative view of the butterfly effect, I figure that the existence of the Crusader States won't produce enough ripples in the TL to affect the events as far as eastern Persia. Once they do come into being, however, I'm interested in exploring if and how they will deal with a Christian hostile power in western Asia, considering that they will be the paramount power in the Middle East. They will certainly adopt the anti-Crusader rhetoric sponsored by the Seljuks and the Abbasids. I do agree, however, with @Sarufiyyun in #2,720 when he says that they don't have power projection to invade Jerusalem - their base of military and political power is in Khorasan and Transoxiana after all.
As for the Kurds and Yezidis, can't really say much about it; I don't think they'll have much relevance in the Crusader geopolitics vis-a-vis the Mesopotamian polities.
The ERE did attempt to take Cyrenaica as of the latest campaign in Egypt, but it was a doomed effort any way. Overall, the region doesn't has economic or strategic potential sans Egypt.
The Kingdom of Naples doesn't exists, but if you mean the Kingdom of Sicily, it is not as if the ERE really needs an excuse to attack and invade them. They consider Sicily a "core" part of the Empire in any case.

#2,722 - I did thought about the idea of a standing army eventually being established in the Outremer. The feudal framework is, however, very consolidated ever since the birth of the Crusader State, so this is a very proper Late Medieval phenomenon.
While I see Latin indeed making a comeback of sorts as a spoken language, because of the necessity of having a common tongue between different cultures, I don't think this will be a widespread or long-lasting event. By the late 12th C. it was by all means an erudite language. But we can see it becoming more used, for example, by lay bureaucrats instead of solely by the clergymen.
Ethiopia is still a bit off the map for the Crusaders. Once they end the conquest of Egypt, however, things will certainly change.
Also, nothing in the TL charts about Assyria for the time being. I must study a little bit more about them to be able to write anything worthwhile and relevant to the TL.
As for the Edessa and the Armenian frontier of the ERE as a whole, they are fairly pacified as of the current period. One thing we'll be seeing in some more detail in the next installments is how the consolidation of the Eldiguzids in Azerbaijan might impact in the region of Al-Jazira, especially against the Georgian expansionism.

@cjc - Of course, its in my plans to see a more detailed picture of the military orders, but not for the time being; I'm still trying to get ahead in the storyline itself.

Last edited:
@Quinkana - Crusader Egypt will most certainly have a lot of soft influence over the Crusader State in Palestine and Syria (if they do remain as separate entities, that is).
As for a possibility of Greek/Byzantine successor states, that really depends on how the ERE shall (eventually) collapse.

@ImperialxWarlord - You are right about Manuel. I hope to have done justice to his historical personality and attitudes; IOTL, he was intensely involved in the affairs of the European powers, especially in Italy and in the Balkans, in the Outremer, and etc. ITTL, I figured that having he intervene in a civil war would be the most "natural" outcome in accordance to his historical character.

@Sceonn - Can we be really sure that the following generation will be Romanized? I don't find it too likely, TBH. There is a perception of "alienness" between the Latin-Levantines and the Byzantines, due to linguistic, social, cultural and religious differences, and this creates a barrier to assimilation beyond anything but very superficial aspects. But, then, who knows what might happen?
As for Byzantine fortifications in relation to the Crusader ones, I admit its something I'm not very knowledgeable. I don't think that Byzantine castle-building was inferior. The matter, as I see it, is that, like the Arabs and the Turks and other of the peoples of Asia, the ERE preferred to invest in the fortification of cities and large towns instead of constructing autonomous fortresses. Now, I do intend to address castles and fortifications in a future update, and so I'll be studying a little bit more to be able to write something about it.

I'll continue replying to the posts in the next one.

63. The Alliance Between the Lords of Syria (1171 - 1173 A.D.)
63. THE ALLIANCE BETWEEN THE LORDS OF SYRIA (1171 - 1173 A.D.)

Robert.jpg

Effigy depicting Duke Robert of Emèse, in the Church of Saint Peter of Dreux (c. 1280s). Being a non-contemporary piece, it does not actually depicts Robert's likeness - unlike the effigy of the Cathedral of Emèse -, but the most unusual aspect of the portrayal is that it emphasizes his role as a Crusader, him being depicted with sword and chainmail, and crown-less, not unlike a lowly knight. The leonine figure at his feet likely evokes Oriental exoticism associated with the memory of the Crusades in the Occident; in folk legends related to the Crusades, the meeting or the battle between the pious Christian knight and the noble lion is a common motif.

Of the Character and of the Aspirations of Robert of Dreux in Syria

In scholarly circles dedicated to the historiography of the Crusades, there is some debate to ascertain the causes of the decision of Robert Capet of remaining in Syria, to effectively exercise his position as Duke of Emèse, instead of returning to France, where he had lived most of his life. Indeed, ever since the establishment of this Crusader fief, during the *Second Crusade, he, then twenty years of age, had, by all means, abandoned it to its own devices under the rulership of his vassals, chief among them the Norman Montforts, who had distinguished themselves during the war in Armenia.

Commentary from the primary sources usually attribute to Robert the general purposes of the Crusadist conduct: the yearning to live and die in the land where Christ had lived and died, the dedication to spiritual growth and, of course, the pious devotion to the war against the enemies of the faith. While we have no reason to doubt that these motives existed and were genuine, as were to many other Crusaders that preceded him, more mundane motivations are ignored by these sources, and they have kindled the curiosity of modern-day academics. It has been suggested that the root causes were in fact his worldly ambitions and his desire for renown and preeminence among the princes of Christendom, in face of his self-perceived failure to obtain noteworthy achievements in his homeland of France.

In point of fact, it seems that his relation with his elder brother, King *Phillip II of France, then already known by the infamous sobriquet of “the Wrathful” due to his irascible demeanor, played a significant role in this decision. The French monarch, howbeit reverential to his dynasty, which he sought to aggrandize by placing his kinsmen in prestigious and relevant positions of political, ecclesiastical or diplomatic interest, harbored little fraternal love to his brothers; they were his vassals first, and siblings second. In the case of Robert, the County of Dreux was an appanage granted by Phillip in accordance to the dying wishes of their late father, Louis VI, but then, over the years, Phillip demonstrated no particular favor towards Robert. The latter became bitter and disappointed over the years in regards to the lack of expected favoritism that he ought to receive being the King’s brother. Indeed Robert had accumulated a substantial allodial patrimony by marriage, most notably after he married Agnes of Baudemont, who held in suo jure various fiefs in the region of northwestern Champagne, but he had nonetheless expected grants from his liege, notably the lordships and castles in the regions of Montfort and Évreux, and then of the Vexin and Mortain, all of which were disputed in the wars of the French King with the Norman Kings of England.

Given the circumstances, we can infer that, now in advanced age, Robert, festering with resentment, overturned his perspectives and expectations, and decided that being a great lord in the Outremer would garner him greater reputation and esteem than being a lowly vassal of the ungrateful King of France.

It does not seem that coming to establish residence in Syria was Robert’s original intent when he came to the Outremer in the trucial pilgrimage, but one that emerged and grew during his stay. His wife Agnes returned to France in 1170, but in the same year she delegated the administration of all her fiefs to her elder son Robert (II); two years later, she went again to the Holy Land and would thus never return to Europe. Considering that their son had no will to leave France, Robert Capet partitioned his inheritance already in 1175 A.D., provisioning in his testament that their firstborn son Robert and his respective heirs would inherit all the properties and titles in France, while the second-born son, Henry of Dreux, would receive the whole of the Syrian inheritance. Considering that, at the time, Robert the younger was already married, but Henry was not, the latter’s designated successor was Robert Capet’s youngest son, John, who was then aged six years. Henry was betrothed to Alicia of Savoy, daughter of Count Humbert III of Savoy, as early as 1171, in spite of the fact that she was, at the time, 5 years-old.

******​

Emèse, sometimes called “La Chamelle[1] was, herself, an impressive metropolis, rivaling, in size and prosperity, Aleppo and Antioch, all of them paling only to Damascus. Like other cities of the Levant, it existed since time immemorial, having been founded by Aram, grandson of Noah by his son Shem [2]; she grew under the reign and the heirs of Sampsiceramus but saw its apogee after it was incorporated into the Roman Empire. It was, in fact, during the twilight years of the Roman Era that the Christian faithful received the revelation of the head of John the Baptist, found concealed in a holy grave; the Arabs a couple centuries took it to Damascus, where it remains to this day in the appropriately named Basilica of Saint John the Baptist [3].

During the Crusader Era, it seemed fated to be reduced to a shadow of its former self, having suffered through consecutive generations of warfare and rapine and declining commerce and tourism. Even worse, then, it suffered a severe earthquake in 1157, which demolished many of its buildings and of neighboring cities and towns. When an even more devastating earthquake happened a mere thirteen years later, in 1170, one so massive that was felt from Antioch to as far as Balbec, it seemed like a divine coup de grace against the beleaguered urban center, whose various districts were levelled. When Robert did visit the seat of the duchy for the first time, it was a veritable ruin.

Reconstruction of Emèse and other large settlements such as Ramât [Syr. Hama] and Chayzèr [Syr. Shayzar] began immediately, and, unsurprisingly, it was undertaken according to the urbanistic and architectural patterns adopted in France, but using the materials available in the region. As it was the norm in the Outremer, stone was plentiful for masonry, as was clay to make bricks and mortar, but for woodwork the builders brought cedar from the mountains of Phoenicia. Unlike in Europe, slave workforce was readily available and abundant, and thus hundreds of Saracen and Turcoman captives were employed over the following years to undertake the physical labors, overseen by Christian Syrian ruasa [4] or Armenian captains subordinate to the Frankish bailiffs or provosts, and thus the destroyed cities were rapidly rebuilt in the very own image of the French ones. During Robert’s reign, immigrants from France, especially from the regions of Champagne and Anjou, and also from Italy, would be encouraged to settle in Emèse, and their descendants will constitute a significant part of the Latin-Levantine demographics [5].

It did help Emèse the fact that it was situated in a privileged geographic and climatic position; in a fertile plain near the Orontes valley, whose agricultural fields were supported by an aged but reliable irrigation system, the regional farms were dedicated to the production of wheat, millet, cotton and exotic fruits, all of which had substantial value in the European markets; the city itself produced many handicrafts, from jewelry to textiles, all of which became treasured exports to France and Italy as well.

******​

Robert of Emèse was deeply proud of his heritage; a scion of the kings who had inherited the Carolingian oriflamme. Moved by tremendous ambition, he would endeavor to accrue prestige and wealth to his principality in the Orient, and to leave his own mark of grandeur in History.

His political ambitions were manifested not long after he became resident in Emèse. Ever since he arrived, he witnessed Archbishop Bernard’s downfall, Manuel’s invasion and the resultant destitution of the Bohemondines, and the establishment of a Rhõmaîon government in Tyre. These latter events created a seething dissatisfaction and resentment among many of the Frankish nobles, especially because they came to perceive Prince Raymond III of Jerusalem and Galilee as a subservient and weak lackey of the Greek Emperor instead of the champion of the Latin cause that he was supposed to be. They feared even that Manuel was about to dethrone and expel the Frankish lords from the Outremer; indeed, regardless of the fact that Bohemond II of Tyre had been formally accused and condemned by a court years before was seemingly irrelevant, because to most of the Franks, Manuel was regarded as a tyrant and imperious monarch.

It was in this scenario of disaccord that Robert saw the perfect opportunity to rise into prominence; his dynastic pedigree, his wealth and his personal charisma were tools that allowed him to easily ascend to the apex of the Latin-Levantine political preserve, as an active member of the Court of Grandees, not to little chagrin of some members of the established Frankish nobility - those that the French chroniclers at the time derisively called poulains or pulani - who saw him as an opportunistic adventurer. Soon enough it became clear, at least to Raymond and his own associates, that Robert had designs towards the princely throne, and the animosity between them and the nobles of Emèse grew immediately. What they did not fathom is that this was just the beginning of his stairway to even grander majesty.

Now, in among the disaffected nobles of Syria, that is of Damascus and the Damascanese and the Houran, Robert found natural allies, opposed as they were to Raymond and the Franks established in Palestine. Robert realized that they seemed to believe that Raymond had accepted a genuine vassalage towards Constantinople, to his benefit only, and in detriment of the God-given mission of vanquishing the infidel, and also feared that the Rhômaîoi, now too close for comfort in the newly created “Catepanate of Syria”, were about to impose direct imperial rule over the Crusader State. The Italo-Normans, in particular, bitterly remembered that the same name of “Catepan” had been used to refer to the Emperor’s lieutenant in southern Italy, and were grimly suspicious that Rhomaîoi desired to conquer Syria from them.

As for Raymond, it seems that he, truth be said, was regarded by Robert himself as a lesser evil; his conduct in the war against the Bohemondines had demonstrated an unassertive character and timid demeanor, and his conduct in the future war against the Saracens in Egypt would be a testament to this perceived pusillanimity. However, his favorites with whom he shared the temporal power in the Crusader State, namely the Counts of Tiberias and Acre, the Viceduke in Transjordania and the Marquis of Tortosa, all constituted a formidable network of alliances. More concerning even, especially to the rulers of Damascus and the other lords of the Damascanese, was the fact that the Templarians, under the tenancy of Gerard of Aigremont, had demonstrated a clear political affinity towards the Provençals.

It seems, then, that as early as 1171 A.D., Emèse initiated rapprochement with Damascus, but there are no extant documents describing it, so it ought to have been an informal agreement. This friendship of convenience became a alliance once Robert brokered a marriage contract between Mabel of Damascus and Simon [III] of Montfort, thus uniting Emèse and Damascus.

In any event, Robert also made overtures to the Rhõmaîon Emperor: in early 1172 A.D., he himself voyaged to Constantinople from Emèse - supposedly to undertake pilgrimage and to become acquainted with the “queen of cities”, with a small retinue of nobles, but whose actual purposes were diplomatic and political rather than religious: to introduce the French prince to the Emperor. There, according to the chronicle of Niketas Choniates, Robert was received with honors in the imperial court, befitting his standing as a royal prince of the Franks, and to his position as Duke. Cognizant of the performative role of the ceremonies, he formally paid homage to Manuel, and pledged his undying support to the cause of Christ in the Holy Land.

Robert knew all too well that he needed recognition from the established potentates of the Orient; and, to Manuel, he wanted to be regarded as a friendly and compliant Latin-Levantine peer. It seems that his charismatic presence did garner him approval from the Basileus, and he was formally confirmed in his capacity as the suzerain lord of Emèse and the associated demesne. It was in this very encounter that Robert was gifted with a reliquary vial, covered in enamel, gold and ivory, supposedly containing the milk of the Virgin Mary, one that, a few generations later, would be gifted by one of Robert’s successors in Emèse to the King of France.

Of the Creation of the Catepanate of Syria

As it happened, after the Tyrian War, the political situation of Damascus was a bizarre one: Count Roger [II], still a minor, had been brought to Constantinople to be educated in statecraft and liberal arts - a figment of diplomatic rhetoric that barely disguised the fact that he was a hostage with various other Frankish scions -, and while the Countess dowager Mabel remained in Damascus, having received the Basileus’ pardon because she did not raise arms against the Emperor when he came to the Orient, the regency and actual government of Damascus had been entrusted by Manuel to his nephew, Andronikos Kontostephanos, one of his most loyal agents. Indeed, Damascus, being the largest and wealthiest metropolis of Syria, was highly regarded, and Manuel hoped, with this expedient, to directly interfere in the local Syrian politics, so as to keep the Franks at bay, and, perhaps, to enforce their terms of vassalage to his own imperial person. However, it must be said that, while more recent historiography rejects the premise that Manuel was masterminding a plan to abrogate the political rule of the Crusader State, there is a certain consensus that he intended to compel the Franks to join him in yet another campaign against the Fāṭimids in Egypt, and thus, it was convenient to have administrative, logistical and naval bases from whence to launch this new campaign.

Now, Andronikos, who held the title of Megas Doux - the commander-in-chief of the imperial navy - was an accomplished commander, with an extensive military record, but had a much less impressive administrative acumen, and did not seem to be up to the task, even more so due to the antipathy of the Frankish elite ruling in Syria. While he had previously acted as governor of Hellas, the Peloponnese and Crete, administering a far-away province inhabited by a multi-ethnic and even multi-confessional populace was another task altogether, and, to be fair, he did not seem to care much about it. Even Niketas Choniates, who usually depicts him as a heroic personage dedicated to the defense of the imperial honor and dignity, records that the Patriarch of Antioch transmitted to Constantinople some complaints about Andronikos erratic composure during the years of 1172 and 1174 A.D., involving corruption and debauchery. Oddly enough, the contemporary Frankish sources scantly mention his presence, but they do give attention to the fact that, as per the Basileus’ will, Andronikos had positioned himself in Damascus with a bodyguard of Turkoman mercenaries, widely renowned for their savagery and bellicosity, and who routinely preyed upon the locals. Another Frankish source, writing two centuries ahead, however, attests the existence of a folk tale among the rural population that describes the Countess dowager Mabel seducing the Greek lieutenant named “Drurios” and convincing him, now maddened by passion, to march against Babylon to obtain the diadem of the Babylonian queen, a folly which results in his untimely death. Perhaps this legend arose from the circumstance that Mabel, in spite of her demotion, remained active in Damascus and in the Outremerine politics as a whole, and left her mark in the local consciousness during her rule over Damascus.

As for Andronikos, his premature death in 1174 A.D., while he was preparing for the Egyptian campaign, aroused Manuel’s suspicions of treachery against the Franks, but he soon quelled his wrath, once he found out that Andronikos’ death, while caused by foul act, owed no relation to the Franks, but rather to the hand of a Syrian young woman against which the Greek general had attempted to force himself. To his malicious advance she responded by stabbing his throat. She would never be found, but the infuriated Turkoman horsemen, when they found out about the murder, exacted revenge upon the hapless Damascene citizens with bloody furor, until some sworn-brothers of the Knights of Saint Michael, in patrol from a nearby tower, retaliated against them. The engagements lasted for two whole days, until Mabel, having gathered a small army of Norman knights, fell upon the Turks while they feasted in the comital palace and contained them after a brief slaughter.

Out of necessity, a dispirited Manuel granted the rulership of Damascus and the command of Kontostephanos’ dispersed soldiers to Andronikos Dalassenos Rogerios, the Catepan of Syria, who would then lead the campaign against the Fāṭimids in 1174 A.D.

Established in Tyre, the newly-created “Catepanate of Syria” was Constantinople’s latest attempt of political-administrative growth, inspired in the defunct Catepanate of Italy - a gubernatorial unit, smaller than a Theme, headed by a “Catepan” [Gre. Katépanõ], who held absolute administrative and military powers and under the immediate authority of the Emperor - and, from its very beginnings, it aroused the indignation of some of the Franks, especially those in Syria. Of Bohemond’s knights and bailiffs, either Normans and Lombards, only a few remained in the County of Tyre, for most of them preferred to profess fealty to other lords, chief among them being those of Tripoli and of Emèse.

Ostensibly to maintain order in the region and to protect the Jerusalemite holy places, the Catepan commanded a standing army of fifteen hundred spear-men and five hundred archers, likely from the various subject races of the Empire, such as the Greeks, the Bulgarians and the Pechenegs, among others; the Frankish sources usually give more attention to the presence of Turkish soldiers, who, despite having converted to Christianity and adopting the Greek customs and dress, still went to battle using the same tactics that their savage forefathers used, and came to settle, during this period, in the environs of Tyre and of Damascus by imperial decree.

We know today that this Catepanate of Syria would to be short-lived, not in the least because of the hostility and antipathy of the native Franks to the Rhõmaîon presence in the Outremer, but, in the following years, it would play an important role in Manuel’s imminent war into Egypt.

Of the Marriage between Damascus and Emèse

In 1172 A.D. Mabel of Damascus married Simon of Montfort, the most formidable vassal of Emèse, a match arranged by none other than Duke Robert himself. That Simon was many years her senior and that both of them had sons of their own to succeed in their respective realms was irrelevant to Robert, who desired, above all, to associate Damascus to Emèse, and form a bloc of alliance able to oppose that of the Provençals.

In spite of the fact that Mabel had fallen from grace, she still enjoyed the loyalty and respect of the knights of Damascus, and held greater legitimacy towards the rule over the fief than the Greeks - at least according to the Frankish perspective. While no source mentions it clearly, it is apparent that Robert, from that year onward, endeavored to restore Mabel to power, likely expecting to secure his own influence over Damascus, in detriment to that of the Greeks.

As for Simon, his family had, ever since their departure from France, substantially increased their fortunes. After the *Second Crusade he had relinquished his ancestral property in Montfort-l’Amaury to King *Phillip II of France, and abdicated of Évreux in favor of his son Amaury [III] - an act that sought to solve the uncomfortable feudal situation that the Montforts saw themselves, being vassals to both the King of France and the King of England (in his capacity as Duke of Normandy), but, in time, would serve to foster further conflict between the two crowned princes, because Phillip II claimed Évreux to himself after Amaury received fiefs in England [6] - in exchange for being placed by King Phillip as the regent of Emèse. And Simon did benefit from his new position in Outremer; the money-fiefs of the fertile provinces of Gravanssour and Ioannine [7] gave him plentiful revenues from the land but he had long since realized that, in the Orient, money came mainly from trade, and he then erected towers and placed his knights to exact tolls from the pilgrims and merchants, and also taxed important industries and productions such as salt, marble and cotton.

Duke Robert, in reward for his service, granted to Simon the office of Seneschal hereditarily and in perpetuity and gave his family the most privileged position in Emèse, and, accordingly, they would rise even more into prominence among the noble families of the Outremer.

With the benefit of hindsight, we now know that this alliance between Emèse and Damascus, soon to be joined by other Frankish nobles dissatisfied with the current situation, would fundamentally change the balance of power in the Outremer, and, at last, pave the way for the future formation of the Crusader Kingdom of Syria under the Capetians.

In the next chapter: The Byzantines and the Franks of the Outremer will invade Fatimid Egypt again. Can they succeed this time?

Notes:
[1] "La Chamelle" is an historical name for Homs, likely owing to the fact that the promontory where its historical citadel was constructed made it appear like the hump of a camel from those viewing her from far away.
[2] In-universe, due to the ecclesiastic influence in western historiography, Biblical narratives are commonly used as authoritative historical sources.
[3] The cathedral is in fact the (extant) Umayyad Mosque of Homs, itself adapted from an ancient Christian basilica dedicated to Saint John the Baptist, revered in both Christianity and Islam.
[4] "Ruasa" is the plural of "ra'is", which, in the context of the Frankish Outremer, are local leaders - usually Muslim, but sometimes they refer to Syrian Christians as well - who are co-opted as provincial agents of the Frankish elite over the native Palestinian and Syrian populations.
[5] The immigration of French people to Syria will probably be detailed in a future installment.
[6] This is a significant divergence in relation to OTL, where the Montforts kept both fiefs, and remained vassals to both the Kings of France and of England, and they eventually banded to the side of England during the reign of King Henry II - Simon IV of Montfort would later on marry into the Anglo-Norman aristocracy, becoming Earl of Leicester. ITTL, they effectively surrender all their French fiefs to King Phillip, thus enlarging the French royal demesne, but a dispute will arise from the inheritance over the Norman fief of Évreux, which will be claimed by Phillip as well.
[7] Ioannine is OTL As-Salamiya; in-TL, the Crusaders believe that the name of the city is an homage to the Biblical figure Salome, granddaughter of Herod the Great, who, in the gospels, is responsible for the execution of John the Baptist. For this reason, the Franks changed the name of the city to homage John the Baptist instead.

Comment: This chapter, as you might have realized, is dedicated to fleshing out a character who is poised to play a more significant role in the TL, Count Robert I of Dreux. He's a mildly interesting, if fairly obscure character IOTL, who apparently even attempted to usurp the royal throne from Louis VII of France. We don't know a lot about him, but he was the progenitor of the future ducal house of Brittany, and his sons held important ecclesiastical offices (such as Henry of Dreux, mentioned in this chapter, who was historically one Bishop of Orleans); he and his successors seem to have been ambitious and were interested in the dynastic game of thrones in Medieval France, so I hope to be doing them some justice in this fictional narrative.

I had some doubts about the direction I was taking the narrative, so, after sketching some scenarios, this was the one I found the most interesting to explore, in which a scion of the royal house of France becomes a monarch in the Outremer - unlike what happened IOTL, in which the historical Kingdom of Jerusalem was governed by a series of ducal and comital-level dynasties, such as the Angevins and the Lusignans - and, thus, we can expect they will have significant political and diplomatic connections to their kingdom and to the other royal houses of Europe. Let's see how this will play out.

So the gens Capet is on its way to usurping another crown through another Robert (although none of the Poulain lords can claim a lineage anywhere near as antique and august as the Carolingians!)

Also, Mabel of Damascus was married to Ralph de Warenne last update, and was pregnant with his son; did he return to the Holy Land or did he die, thereby allowing her marriage to Simon Montfort?

I suspect Manuel's second invasion will also fail thanks to these brewing political tensions (and I'd be kinda bummed to see the Franco-Levantines claim the queen of Eastern prizes to the exclusion of the Germans and other participants, given that they already got the Levant outside of Tortosa). Although Suleiman Kanuni won't exist ITTL, there is certainly a parallel to be found between his failures to seize Vienna and Manuel's (anticipated) failure to seize Egypt.

I do hope Robert took some Byzantine or Arab architectural elements into consideration when rebuilding Homs; medieval European architecture excelled at fortifications but in my subjective opinion their civilian buildings just don't look as nice. As regards the new settlers, I'm looking forward to updates on the Capetian Règlement de l'Est!

Last edited:
I assume that the Kingdom of Syria won't comprise the entire Crusader Levant and so won't be a successor state to the Principate of Jerusalem? King of a shame - I'd prefer to see the Crusaders stay united in a single realm, but it does make a fair bit of sense.

Great update as always and so happy to see you back! :)

I’ve had a stinking suspicion for awhile now that Syria would become an independent crusader realm. So this definitely confirmed it. Those Capetians just can’t help themselves when comes to sitting their asses on other thrones.

I presume that Manuel’s second invasion of will also fail. But it does seem like his maneuvering in the Latin realm will succeed in keeping them divided and thus not a thread.

Why is Manuel obsessed with Egypt?
Egypt served as Rome's cash cow at the very height of empire- And unlike Rome or Constantinople, it was a net exporter of goods as well as a source of military manpower.
There is a great video by Kings and Generals on how Egypt basically financed the bulk of Rome's state expenditure.

So, this is how Rome and the Crusader state fall out. The Basileus' interference in the civil war is portrayed as tyranny and the Basileus appoints a great general with lacklustre administrative skills and worse diplomatic ability as de facto exarch of Damascus, who is followed by effectively an absentee ruler.

I assume that the Kingdom of Syria won't comprise the entire Crusader Levant and so won't be a successor state to the Principate of Jerusalem? King of a shame - I'd prefer to see the Crusaders stay united in a single realm, but it does make a fair bit of sense.

Great update as always and so happy to see you back! :)
Surprising indeed, but not illogical in retrospect. The same reasons why Egypt is unlikely to be integrated within a kingdom of Jerusalem also apply in Syria. Demographically, economically and perhaps culturally, I see it as a space distinct from that of Palestine-Outrejourdain-Lebanon. That the crusaders maintained it as a feudatory of Jerusalem is quite an oddity. Already before, the city of Damascus itself was quite a jurisdictional mess to sort out in the TL if I remember well, given how populous and wealthy it was in comparison to most Levantine fiefs.

Surprising indeed, but not illogical in retrospect. The same reasons why Egypt is unlikely to be integrated within a kingdom of Jerusalem also apply in Syria. Demographically, economically and perhaps culturally, I see it as a space distinct from that of Palestine-Outrejourdain-Lebanon. That the crusaders maintained it as a feudatory of Jerusalem is quite an oddity. Already before, the city of Damascus itself was quite a jurisdictional mess to sort out in the TL if I remember well, given how populous and wealthy it was in comparison to most Levantine fiefs.
I'd anything I'd expect the Levant to be affected by Syria or Egypt not the other way around. The Levant never would be as properous as the other regions anyways. I would expect an empire from Syria to Nubia (with Ethiopia as an ally) with its heartlands at Egypt that has Jerusalem as a compromise administrative capital though.

Btw, will the Mongols come and wreck house? And will we see the empire I talked about in the early modern era?