Ancient Economics: What Were the Valuable Resources?

Depends on the region as well. A Nordic chieftain might go to great lengths to get wine for his table, while an Italian lord might love to hire some Norse as mercenaries.

Fertile land was at a premium
Food could be traded for other resources and if you had a stable food supply you could devote more of your population to Manufacturing

Ivory, gold, silver, spices, silk, top grade steel.
Timber is not to be underestimated, since it was a common building material.
It was important as fuel as well. England used to export it and charcoal to Flanders. Coal was also valuable. In fact although it was expensive to buy coal from Newcastle in London the price was competitive with charcoal or timber from Kent!

Don't forget about things like incense used in religious ceremonies around the world. Still used today in Catholic mass. Also wax used to make candles important for doing anything after dark.

Saltpeter is another one. Before it became commonly available due to its necessity for gunpowder, it served as a rare, but super-effective cooling agent. Wines at the best Roman parties would be cooled by using Saltpetre. It was produced in large quantities in India since before the Mauryas because of this very reason.

- Snails near Tyre that made purple dye.

- Porcelain.

- Papyrus.

Edit: OP said medieval, I was thinking ancient because I read the thread title.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, are you talking about Medieval Economics or the Economics of Antiquity / the classical World? as medieval isn't exactly in antiquity.
Medieval as in around 700-1000AD.

I'm more talking about general resources that nations might trade to one another, rather than "big score" type things.