Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 4

You'd be surprised. Certain high end automotive components actually have to take quantum effects into account due to their tolerances*, which aren't nanometer scale

*Generally the Casimir Effect causing resistance/pressure to be different than it should be without accounting for quantum effects
I vaguely recall the torment of having to accommodate changes from 3 dimensional to 2 dimensional heat tranfer across gaps that approached micron scale when I was doing thermal work a long time ago, so you can get weird effects even at engineering scales.
And once down to a few 10s of nm or even smaller, everday expectations can be wildly out even before allowing for true quantum effects to cut in.

Needless to say, the singularity carpet under my desk has been on full universal destruction mode - I watched a part fall between my feet, saw it hit the carpet, bounce and wink out of existence!
I've taken to putting a large-ish dishcloth on my lap to catch small parts after one too many escapee bits.
That's even with a tile floor, some brands use a grey plastic that's a near perfect colour match!

Smaller things are more likely [1] to be influenced by quantum effects.

[1] While technically correct, I think we'd need to be nm scale to have any chance of noticing

Some of the parts in the Bronco Mk IVA Cruiser Tank (A13 Mk II) are indeed microscopic... However, the fact (provable by repeated experimentation) remains that the carpet under my modelling bench acts as a randomly fluctuating singularity where, at times, matter is consumed and not even light can escape. I swear to God, even the cat [1] disappeared the other day only to re-appear out of nowhere when called for his dinner!

[1] Looking after No 1 daughter's cat while she is visiting in-laws...

The laws of physics take on strange anomalies when to applied small plastic model pieces.
I also believe that tiny wormholes are sometimes created when one accidently drops a small plastic piece off a table.
the little wormhole is probably terminating in the same solar system where the lost socks planet is.
or maybe the plastic parts transmogrify in tupperware lids lol

However, the fact (provable by repeated experimentation) remains that the carpet under my modelling bench acts as a randomly fluctuating singularity where, at times, matter is consumed and not even light can escape.
hence why you need vinyl or laminate flooring in your modelling area

An Alternative Take on British Cruiser Tanks:

Well, that is the build of the Alt Mk IVA Cruiser Tank (A13 Mk II) complete and it's on to the painting stages along with the others - more undercoat and paints for the Caunter Scheme camo on order. Just the Alt HVSS Comet to go and the set is complete (painting aside). Hinting heavily to Mrs Claymore that it would make a good early Birthday present - you can always dream!

Early 8.jpg

Early 9.jpg

Early 10.jpg

Ramontxo

Donor
I have been trying to find the performance of the T-34 85mm gun firing APDS rounds but haven't found it (only of HAVP and APBC). So if any one can help I would be most thankful

the little wormhole is probably terminating in the same solar system where the lost socks planet is.
or maybe the plastic parts transmogrify in tupperware lids lol

hence why you need vinyl or laminate flooring in your modelling area

I sense a Hithhicker's Guide theory coming along any minute... 😋 😉

Yes same for me. I found this strange as the T34 remained in use for years after WW2...
Yes, but it was being quickly discontinued as a front line tank; there was simply no reason to develop a new ammo for a gun the soviets knew it was insuficient for AT work even by mid-45.

Ramontxo

Donor
Yes, but it was being quickly discontinued as a front line tank; there was simply no reason to develop a new ammo for a gun the soviets knew it was insuficient for AT work even by mid-45.
Also the French 75mm SA-50 was deployed after the war without subcaliber rounds. I think an afpds was developed quite late. I suppose @Bougnas would be able to inform on this.

Also the French 75mm SA-50 was deployed after the war without subcaliber rounds. I think an afpds was developed quite late. I suppose @Bougnas would be able to inform on this.
All of the early postwar French guns had been designed with full bore AP (usually BC or CBC) in mind because it was thought APDS and good HEAT would take too long to develop given the sorry state of postwar French industry (in spite of men like Edgar Brandt already having good experience on the matter). There were R&D projects for HVAP (simpler problem than APDS) in the late 40's/early 50's which are not well-known, followed by APDS in the mid-late 50s we at least have a picture of.
1708096627343.jpeg

War Thunder enthusiasts apparently found very early HVAP stuff:
1708096692003.jpeg
1708096700169.jpeg

APFSDS for the 75mm was finally done by Singapore in the form of the Spider in the 80s.

HG mixed with Discworld lol (Anoia Goddess of lost cutlery/Goddess of Things That Get Stuck in Drawers)
If memory serves, Hordes of the Things had tiny blue dragons stealing single socks so they could make their homes in them.
Back on topic, the improve cruisers look very good, both as models and as plausible vehicles [1]. Being a bit slower, a bit more robust, and so on would possibly mitigate some of the OTL issues.[2].

[1] so maybe 2 years to see them referenced as actual vehicles on the interweb?
[2] Eg the 'cavalry charges', which might not have been tried with slower vehicles. This would still leave plenty of room for improvement, but it all helps.