Alexander the Good Enough and the Federation of Poleis

An idea I've had floating around for over a decade springs from the nature of the League of Corinth, Philip II's system for managing his hegemony over Greece. What if events had conspired so that instead of being a short term expedient soon dwarfed by Alexander's empire, the League evolved into a broad Hellenic federation, later to compete against powers like Rome for the Mediterranean?

In reality the League of Corinth was Philip's compromise between desiring an imperial relationship over the peninsula and having to deal with the ideal of the independent Polis so central to Classical Greek culture. That compromise? At the very least win enough dominance to neutralize his southern flank, so that the Persians - when invaded - could not effectively cause trouble in his back yard. And in exchange, maintain the plausibility of the acceptable fiction for the Hellenes, and Athens in particular, that they retained full self-government within this alliance.

This was never meant too honestly, not by Macedonians, but my idea relies on the law of unintended consequences. Philip had manufactured a nominal federation, and Alexander in Asia Minor would pointedly play out the fiction - establishing a system of stronger poleis with democratic governments. If the Macedonians had gotten stuck in West Asia instead of having a snowballing conquest of the known world, they would also have remained stuck dealing with Greek politics. They'd have to keep treating the League as if it were to some extent a collaborative and representative body.

This requires threading a needle between Achaemenid collapse and Macedonian collapse with the Achaemenids reoccupying the Eastern Aegean, but in that middle case things get interesting. Philip had a cynical system, and Alexander continued it, that worked short-term by complex and careful management of local politics, but which created institutions that potentially had permanence. One way this could go is for the King-Hegemons to acrue power and convert alliance to empire, as Athens did with the Delian League before. Another outcome would be for the League to simply dissolve within a generation or so.

But what if? Suppose Macedon remains too strong for the League to simply be destroyed (and, astride the Hellespont, retains grip on Athens' food supply), but also remains a regional power too weak to end the traditional privileges of Greek self-government. No great kings, then, but merely good enough. I like the idea of Asian poleis being incorporated as League members. A natural trend might then follow for the Corinthian League to become a medium of politics, with poleis coordinating to get what they want out of the Macedonian kings, Macedonian kings politicking to build coalitions of factions willing to support their aims, and the whole thing institutionalizing and defending the rights and privileges of the Polis.

How to get there precisely? My inclination is a different sperm inseminating the ovum that became Alexander the Great, resulting in an ~Alexander that is by DNA 3/4 the person we know from our timeline, but not quite the same brilliant military polymath. Even were he just a normal general in terms of handling sieges, for instance, the early war would soon be unrecognizable. Or perhaps this butterflies away Philip's death. At any rate, within those couple decades as ~Alexander is growing up, perhaps have the Persian reconquest of Egypt (a few years before) fail again. If Egypt had remained independent a few more years, the Persians would have had two Western security concerns, not one. If the Hellenic invasion later stalls before Syria, the Persians would be unable to focus on it and so might not succeed in reversing Hellenistic gains.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Last edited:
Maybe get Philip or create in some way enough troubles for Alexander at home to force him to accept Darius’ proposal after the victory at Issus (aka Stateira as wife and the half of the Empire who he had already conquered). Alexander having a slighter different mentality or being less resistants to pressures from his senior officers also would be enough to get the same result.

If there was a prize for Thread Name of the Year, I'd definitely nominate this one. In fact, I mostly opened it because of the title.
The main problem is, it's too precarious of an equilibrium even at best, I feel. Persia would keep interfering as it did OTL, and under the veneer of the single united polity of the Greeks, two or three parties would form (Persian, Macedonian, Athenian), essentially dooming the League as something effective. It would certainly be lauded and praised by everybody, regretted when destroyed, still definitely anything but healthy. Unless there also is a force at work that keeps upsetting the stronger party, but fluctuations in power/efficiency in the Antiquity Era can be exceptionally stark.

Thanks for the replies. My apologies - I was actually too busy to write the original post, but couldn't restrain myself. So I definitely was too busy to engage with good posts in a proper conversation.

The past year I've been consuming the blog A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry, which led me into a very close reading I've been doing of Soldiers and Ghosts, the endnotes of which being far too good leading me in turn to savoring Fox's Alexander the Great. This all off on the side of the main things I've been doing (not mentioning a dozen books I started because of this sort of 6-degrees-of-separation game I've played from ACOUP). But it has all been fantastic and truly enlightening when it comes to the Hellenistic period.

Some of the big take-aways have been that Alexander's most impressive talents are obscured by the fact that his victories in a few giant set-piece battles were celebrated so intensely, that most of these people were taking the various religious claims pretty seriously, that 2,000-year-old propaganda heavily influenced what I'd thought I'd known, and that the diadochi wars - far from being Alexander's fault or contingent - were bog standard Macedonian cultural behavior that merely happened to play out across most of the Western world.

But, having again invested time I did not per se have, I'll now wander off into the wilderness once more to return in the thread's hour of greatest need.

Last edited:
But what if? Suppose Macedon remains too strong for the League to simply be destroyed (and, astride the Hellespont, retains grip on Athens' food supply), but also remains a regional power too weak to end the traditional privileges of Greek self-government. No great kings, then, but merely good enough. I like the idea of Asian poleis being incorporated as League members. A natural trend might then follow for the Corinthian League to become a medium of politics, with poleis coordinating to get what they want out of the Macedonian kings, Macedonian kings politicking to build coalitions of factions willing to support their aims, and the whole thing institutionalizing and defending the rights and privileges of the Polis.
The problem is that if the League survives the Greeks will try to break off at the first occasion, as soon as some trouble arrives in Macedon it will implode immediately, meaning that it will last only as long as Macedon's power.
Also there is the problem that this is not enough for a Macedon king, he wants to dominate the Poleis, he doesn't want to waste his time politicizing to get something he wants; he will look at the first opportunity to increase his authority and that will put him in constant conflict with all members of the league, if Macedon wins it dominates and there is no League anymore if the Greeks win the League is dissolved. I don't think there is a way to not make it implode at some point.

Maybe get Philip or create in some way enough troubles for Alexander at home to force him to accept Darius’ proposal after the victory at Issus (aka Stateira as wife and the half of the Empire who he had already conquered). Alexander having a slighter different mentality or being less resistants to pressures from his senior officers also would be enough to get the same result.

It's tricky. Getting Philip might be a better direction to go. There are some tricky bits with Darius' proposal - the Persians will be back eventually, there would still be a lot of desire (and frankly some need, given the economics of Macedonian war) for loot, and the propaganda and hostages keeping Athens on-side rely on an ongoing Persian war. But maybe, and I do think a subtly different Alexander helps against the problem of "he wouldn't do that."

The premise here is not of a Hellenistic federal Rome that will be hanging around being impressive for centuries.

Think rather of the balance of power dynamics of the Hellenistic period. For over a century, a rough 3-way competition was sustainable. One power was based in Macedon and leading most of the Greeks most of the time not by annexation but through alliances with poleis or federations of poleis. Another of them was based on the wealth of Egypt and projected power outwards, especially focused on competing for Palestine. The third was a heterogenous successor to the Achaemenid Empire that often was the leading power, but never able to translate this into full defeat of its rivals.

If the Achaemenids are beaten back from Asia Minor and Egypt is attempting to expand at their expense (hardly a stretch, both things did occur in this period), a similar uncomfortable balance could conceivably form. The Hellenic part of that balance would have peninsular Greeks seeking more independence by organizing against the hegemony, sometimes with Athens. It would have Macedonian kings who wished to rule the place by pure fiat and king's right. It would have foreigners intervening to enable the former and prevent the latter. But every one of those factors was shared by our timeline, and the net outcome was fairly similar to the concept here: Macedon stayed the first power in Greece but couldn't leverage that or do without federate allies.

The questions are whether a sort of constitutional continuity can survive the nigh inevitable equivalent of the OTL Lamian War at all, and if so how long that arrangement can last.

Think rather of the balance of power dynamics of the Hellenistic period. For over a century, a rough 3-way competition was sustainable. One power was based in Macedon and leading most of the Greeks most of the time not by annexation but through alliances with poleis or federations of poleis. Another of them was based on the wealth of Egypt and projected power outwards, especially focused on competing for Palestine. The third was a heterogenous successor to the Achaemenid Empire that often was the leading power, but never able to translate this into full defeat of its rivals.
At that time Macedon had severe problems with the Aetolian League, which shows you a probable development.
If the Achaemenids are beaten back from Asia Minor and Egypt is attempting to expand at their expense (hardly a stretch, both things did occur in this period), a similar uncomfortable balance could conceivably form. The Hellenic part of that balance would have peninsular Greeks seeking more independence by organizing against the hegemony, sometimes with Athens. It would have Macedonian kings who wished to rule the place by pure fiat and king's right. It would have foreigners intervening to enable the former and prevent the latter. But every one of those factors was shared by our timeline, and the net outcome was fairly similar to the concept here: Macedon stayed the first power in Greece but couldn't leverage that or do without federate allies.
Wasn't Egypt a part of the Achaemenid Empire?
Macedon did have a strong influence over Greece however it didn't dominate it, nor was there any official League AFAIK.