AHC: Thor's Hammer as one of the UK's Crown Jewels

Here is a weird one. After being reminded that the Queen is technically claimed to be a descendent from a Norse God I thought it would be funny if a fraudulent Mjölnir ended up property of the Crown and used during coronations straight faced.

I think for this to happen we'll need many more Norse kings in England. Probably the easiest way is if Cnut's descendents stay on the throne.

I don't think it would be possible in a Christian England.They'd have gotten rid of the piece of artifact long ago.

GdwnsnHo

Banned
I don't think it would be possible in a Christian England.They'd have gotten rid of the piece of artifact long ago.

Or kept it and repurposed it - they did that with holidays, and being able to show power over a norse artifact could be used to show the superiority of christianity (propaganda ho!)

Or kept it and repurposed it - they did that with holidays, and being able to show power over a norse artifact could be used to show the superiority of christianity (propaganda ho!)

I am going to yield to my inner Tevye and shout "Tradition!" once the Crown has acquired "Thor's Hammer" either via the Scottish (lots of Viking influence there) or English routes (again no shortage of Viking influence) or even the Irish avenue (lesser I suspect but still plenty of Vikings) then they are going to hang on to it. The Church will simply be recruited to make it seem wholesomely Christian as suggested above.

If it is an inherited relic it would be storied as a symbol of conversion to Christianity and coming to the true word of God. If it were war booty then obviously Christ Militant victor over the heathens.

Where was George VI at Dunkirk, the BoB, and the Blitz?

Mjolnir could never be part of the crown jewels. While Liz might well be worthy to lift the Hammer of Thor, in the intervening thousand years we've clearly had many monarchs (frex John, Richard III, & Bloody Mary) who couldn't lift it if they had Superman and the Hulk together helping them. Besides, the Hammer would eventually find itself coming to the queen whether she wanted it to or not. Uru will always find its center.

Besides, won't people have been asking over the centuries why even the most worthy British monarch (The Virgin Queen) wasn't using Mjolnir to blast the Spanish Armada into toothpicks before Sir Francis Drake and Lord Howard even saw the top sails of the first approaching enemy galleon?:p:D

EDIT: A fraudulent Mjolnir would have had to be introduced in the Dark Ages, so the validity of Thor's Hammer would have had almost religious overtones for England/Britain/Britannia.

Mjolnir could never be part of the crown jewels. While Liz might well be worthy to lift the Hammer of Thor, in the intervening thousand years we've clearly had many monarchs (frex John, Richard III, & Bloody Mary) who couldn't lift it if they had Superman and the Hulk together helping them. Besides, the Hammer would eventually find itself coming to the queen whether she wanted it to or not. Uru will always find its center.

Besides, won't people have been asking over the centuries why even the most worthy British monarch (The Virgin Queen) wasn't using Mjolnir to blast the Spanish Armada into toothpicks before Sir Francis Drake and Lord Howard even saw the top sails of the first approaching enemy galleon?:p:D
It's just a regular hammer called Mjolnir,supposed from Thor,not an actual hammer that has omnipotent powers,otherwise this thread would belong in ASB.

Last edited:
It's just a regular hammer called Mjolnir,supposed from Thor,not an actual hammer tha has omnipotent powers,otherwise this thread would belong in ASB.

I was half-joking. But if the "hammer" arrives in antiquity then people will either question its validity or the more superstitious will demand its use.:rolleyes: Its just that Mjolnir itself carries a specific history as an awesome weapon. As opposed to the Excalibur Sword, which is a simple sword AFTER its been drawn from the stone/handed over by the Lady of the Lake. Even the Holy Grail suggests only personal healing powers, not granting the power to fly or be able to command the elements!:eek:

EDIT: A fraudulent Mjolnir would have had to be introduced in the Dark Ages, so the validity of Thor's Hammer would have had almost religious overtones for England/Britain/Britannia.

You know the Armada did get torn to shreds by storms...and the Queen did meet her troops in armour on the beaches.:eek:

You know the Armada did get torn to shreds by storms...and the Queen did meet her troops in armour on the beaches.:eek:

"I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman but I have the heart and stomach of a king and the backache of a God, my that bloody hammer is heavy..." Queen Elizabeth of England addressing the troops, the impromptu version was subsequently dressed up a bit for public consumption. :D

"I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman but I have the heart and stomach of a king and the backache of a God, my that bloody hammer is heavy..." Queen Elizabeth of England addressing the troops, the impromptu version was subsequently dressed up a bit for public consumption. :D

Little known fact.

King Arthur did in fact rise in England's darkest hour but upon meeting Liz she declared him a complete girl and bashed his brains in deciding she was saviour enough.

deathscompanion1
RodentRevolution

Do you two know something that you are not telling the rest of us!?
*:eek::eek::eek:*
Because its time to share!​

Not necessarily. In Sweden the Norse heritage was celebrated well into the 19th century. It was reasoned that the gods Odin, Thor, etc. were actually merely mortal human kings that had, on account of their glorious rules, been mythologized and worshiped as gods by their ignorant ancestors who plainly didn't know better because Rome had no missions to Scandinavia at the time. But they were still historical characters, and they had still accomplished great feats, and were therefore to be celebrated.

It was first at the end of the 19th century that Swedish scholars started going "you know, I think Odin, Thor and all these guys may be no more historical than King Arthur".

Reminds me of a comics mini-series I read a while back set during WWII where the various royal families had superpowers, but by longstanding arrangement they'd agreed to not use them during wars. One of the younger ones gets frustrated though, flies up above London and starts shooting down German bombers with things spinning out of control from there.

Sycamore

Banned
Reminds me of a comics mini-series I read a while back set during WWII where the various royal families had superpowers, but by longstanding arrangement they'd agreed to not use them during wars. One of the younger ones gets frustrated though, flies up above London and starts shooting down German bombers with things spinning out of control from there.

What was its title? Holy shit, the Hapsburg v. Hohenzollern battle would be epic... this opens up so many possibilities.

Hmmm... :cool::) You have to wonder though, how they'd have made it through WW1 without the royal families of Russia, Germany or Austro-Hungary getting frustrated and putting those powers to good use themselves. This would make a very, very good concept for an ASB TL or a Shared Worlds RP game though...

Not necessarily. My line of thinking was that Princess Alexandra of Denmark might have brought over an artefact purporting to be Mjolnir as a wedding gift, which could then have made its way into the coronation of Edward VII as a celebration of the Anglo-Saxon roots of the monarchy. It's not dramatically different to the legends linking Curtana to Tristain or Ogier the Dane, or the way in which the Stone of Scone was co-opted into English coronations.