AHC: North American Federation of Canada and the United States (NAF)

I guess the challenge is to unite Canada and the US into one sovereign state a la the United Kingdom, although what I really have in mind is the Union states only...so the POD is the Union losing the American Civil War.

Also, it would be cool if somebody could do a flag...I'm thinking a plain white background with a red maple leaf surrounded by 20 blue stars (one for each state).

Sounds really ASB, even in a union losing scenario. The Americans would sooner die than be annexed by the British and the British were too focused on their Empire elsewhere (India, Africa etc) to care for the remaining bulk of the US (aside from the industrial states, it's not really worth taking all the plains and empty wilderness).

Saphroneth

Banned
Could be doable with a few changes during the Revolution, though. Have the revolution cover the whole of BNA, but have the slavery issue be a sticking point and have BNA split along the slave/free line. (Perhaps the UK armed slaves wholesale, making it a major issue?)

For the same reason that Britain could not hold all the north american colonies against the will of a significant part of its inhabitants, the american revolutionaries could not hold all the north american territories against the will of another significant part of its inhabitants.

The territories to hold were too large and too sparsely populated.

That's why if you have an american revolution against the british rule, you will have a divided north America.

The only possibility I can imagine is : no american revolution.

Saphroneth

Banned
For the same reason that Britain could not hold all the north american colonies against the will of a significant part of its inhabitants, the american revolutionaries could not hold all the north american territories against the will of another significant part of its inhabitants.

The territories to hold were too large and too sparsely populated.

That's why if you have an american revolution against the british rule, you will have a divided north America.

The only possibility I can imagine is : no american revolution.

But he doesn't want a united North America. Just the dividing line between the northern chunk and the southern chunk further south. And that I think could happen. (Loyalists concentrate in the south?)