AHC: Make Motorsports as popular as Football

I was wondering about this the other day. What if Motorsports like Rally, Formula 1 (and other formula series like Indy) and Endurance were as popular and influential like OTL mass sports, such as Football and Basketball? It's not that Motorsports receive little attention, on the contrary: Formula 1 , for example, is probably the most prestigious and elite world series in today's sports. However, you won't see that many people that are passionate about them, at least not within the common image of football enthusiasts.

What I'd like to see in this thread are some ideas on how Formula 1, rally or any other MotorSport that may come to existance, depending on the POD, could have the same mass appeal as other bigger modalities. To the point that it might be expected of someone to talk about yesterday's race in a bar with a stranger, to have a favorite racing team, and to see people wearing their respective shirts as fashionable items (I mean, Ferrari already does that, but they're the only one really).

I wasn't planning on specific POD's, but I'll limit the discussion to post 1945 scenarios, as it was only then that Motorsports could actually flourish.

Riain

Banned

All football, even in Australia the highly successful V8 Supercars series isn't as popular as AFL in the AFL states and Rugby League in the states full of morons.

Football of all codes has much lower barriers to mass-participation than motorsports. I'm a racing fan but played AFL as a kid, every school has a football field but motorsports venues are rare and cars are expensive.

WEll, you do have NASCAR and other "stock" car racing leagues and tracks all across the country, even one just down the road from where I live that races almost every Friday night during the summer.

I could see nascar actually passing nfl in popularity. the nfl players continue to kneel during the anthem this really turns off fans (I have never spoke to a single person that likes this but quite a few who refuse to watch the nfl anymore. I myself really love watching nfl football but absolutely refuse to watch it until the protests stop) nascar (which I despise watching so do not keep up with) but I have heard promotes itself as patriotic. continue both of these trends and eventually enough nfl fans will be turned off and may switch to nascar that it surpasses a nfl that has lost much support