AHC: Longest running TV show possible?

What is the longest a TV show could stick around? To be clear, I don't mean technicalities such as saying a news show has been around since before television, so the years in radio should be counted etc.

It needs to be a continuous story, with at least a vaguely concrete canon.

Is it more likely to be a drama, a sitcom, a soap opera? What year would it have started, and will it still be ongoing?

Days of our Lives is running since 1965 and is at least running till 2025, so then it will be running for 60 years. And it's probably continued then.

Well just look at Corrie running since 1960 and still going strong.
EDIT ninja'd by @Impossible_Quail_250
EDIT2: also Doctor Who running since 1963. However that does have the 1989-2005 hiatus (ignoring the 1996 telemonstrosity, although it did give us Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor it's one saving grace)

Last edited:
Well, let's check this:

The Sky at Night has been going since 1957:

Several children's programmes have been around for 50 to 60 years.

For instance, this has been running since 1959:

It's had more than twenty two thousand episodes. I believe that's the record for the most number of episodes for a single show.

How long have some game shows been running for?
This one's been going on since 1961:

The BBC was founded in 1922, becoming government owned in 1927.

The following year in 1928, the worlds first television show, 'The Queen's Messenger' would air across the pond in Schenectady.

ITTL, Have the first director of the BBC go out on a limb, wanting to really start something special and new and fund something similar. As for his character;

"His goal was to broadcast "All that is best in every department of human knowledge, endeavour and achievement.... The preservation of a high moral tone is obviously of paramount importance."

As a result, this pioneering show would likely have education at the forefront. What is a BBC founded show that was initially founded on education, and has since become one of the longest running shows ever? Doctor Who!

And so we end up with:

'Doctor Who?', 1928-present

Other names could be chosen (I'm quite partial to "The Long Way Round", but not really relevant).

By starting with education it can stay around in the early days when shows and films couldnt be too daring, slowly transitioning into a drama/sitcom/whatever the hell you classify Doctor Who as which elongates its staying power into the present.

By utilising the concept of regeneration, the show is able to continue on with different crews and actors, never leading to the common issue a lot of soap operas face (once they reach a certain age and characters have been around so long and have such interwoven, long-standing stories and relationships, it's hard for new viewers to get invested and understand context. For this reason, I struggle to see a soap staying around much longer than real world ones have).

Well, let's check this:

The Sky at Night has been going since 1957:

Several children's programmes have been around for 50 to 60 years.

For instance, this has been running since 1959:

It's had more than twenty two thousand episodes. I believe that's the record for the most number of episodes for a single show.

This one's been going on since 1961:

The OP mentions there needs to be a continuous story, so The Sky at Night doesn't qualify, I didn't check the others.

Sesame Street has been on air since 1969

Genndy Tarvosky's Sym-Bionic Titan could have been one of them......
Tartakovsky hasn't ever worked on a series for more than 4 or 5 years, though. I wish his Star Wars: Clone Wars series had continued instead of the CGI The Clone Wars we got in replace of it. I can't imagine any animated show lasting 50 years though

The BBC was founded in 1922, becoming government owned in 1927.

The following year in 1928, the worlds first television show, 'The Queen's Messenger' would air across the pond in Schenectady.

ITTL, Have the first director of the BBC go out on a limb, wanting to really start something special and new and fund something similar. As for his character;

"His goal was to broadcast "All that is best in every department of human knowledge, endeavour and achievement.... The preservation of a high moral tone is obviously of paramount importance."

As a result, this pioneering show would likely have education at the forefront. What is a BBC founded show that was initially founded on education, and has since become one of the longest running shows ever? Doctor Who!

And so we end up with:

'Doctor Who?', 1928-present

Other names could be chosen (I'm quite partial to "The Long Way Round", but not really relevant).

By starting with education it can stay around in the early days when shows and films couldnt be too daring, slowly transitioning into a drama/sitcom/whatever the hell you classify Doctor Who as which elongates its staying power into the present.

By utilising the concept of regeneration, the show is able to continue on with different crews and actors, never leading to the common issue a lot of soap operas face (once they reach a certain age and characters have been around so long and have such interwoven, long-standing stories and relationships, it's hard for new viewers to get invested and understand context. For this reason, I struggle to see a soap staying around much longer than real world ones have).
Yes, that is the longest possible.

Garrison

Donor
Sesame Street has been on air since 1969

Tartakovsky hasn't ever worked on a series for more than 4 or 5 years, though. I wish his Star Wars: Clone Wars series had continued instead of the CGI The Clone Wars we got in replace of it. I can't imagine any animated show lasting 50 years though
Just give the Simpsons a little more time...

Garrison

Donor
Do you think they'll go that long? Another ~11 seasons and they'll be at 1,000 episodes. If they do make it 50 seasons, Dan Castellaneta (voice of Homer) will be in his 80s
I don't honestly think they will, but then I thought it would have ended a decade ago, and with the technology to recreate voices anything could happen.