AHC: Large scale Ulster Unionism in the United States.

Your challenge is to create a situation in which a large scale Ulster Unionist element and sentiments can arise within the United States either alongside or displacing the OTL large scale Irish Nationalist/Republican element within the US.

well not quite Ulster Unionism, however, for two years, 1870 and 1871, Irish Protestants and Catholics fought bloody street battles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Riots

basically the issue is Catholics were the "other" in a way that Germans, Scots, Scots-Irish, Scandinavians etc weren't, being the other forced Irish Catholics to more clearly self-defind, nationalist/republicanism was a part of that, Unionism will never fly very well, its the politics of another nation after all in away that dreaming of a far away homeland isn't, however Orangism however could fly, a culture of Orange Marches and hating Catholics etc

mowque

Banned
Hmm, the issue is lots of Irish people came to the USA, which influenced the policy. Could we divert some of them to Canada or Argentina?

As famous as the US is for Hibernophilia, there are lots of Anglophiles as well. I was just speaking to a friend last night (neither of us having any ancestry in the British Isles), and he declared his preference for Unionism and of, ideally, all of Ireland as a constituent country of the UK.

I'd wager that if asked, you'd find a lot of "soft" Unionists like this in the US.

As famous as the US is for Hibernophilia, there are lots of Anglophiles as well. I was just speaking to a friend last night (neither of us having any ancestry in the British Isles), and he declared his preference for Unionism and of, ideally, all of Ireland as a constituent country of the UK.

I'd wager that if asked, you'd find a lot of "soft" Unionists like this in the US.

I think America was more anti-catholic than Hibernophilia.

Ireland remaining in the UK in the long term would only have caused problem for the British.
too long a history of rebellions.

Might be interesting to see what American would be like if the Irish unionist favoured America remaining part of the British empire.