AH Challenge- Desolate Nations

Straha said:
it was a thread on the ASB boards which got so big it became 2 threads. The premise was that Britain from OTL as placed in a world where nations from various ATLs ended up there. Thats the gist of the proposal it went into a storyline with lizardmen invading antarctica...

Thanks for the info Straha - I'm starting to go through the old board threads now. I haven't gotten to the Antartica part yet.

Mosaic Antartica

OK. I found the bit about the founding of Antartica (Yamania) on the old board here https://www.alternatehistory.com/discus/messages/40/2981.html?1053705213

It's an interesting idea which I can go along with even though I was coming from a different angle. Nonethless, I'd dare say that the Antartica I was thinking of, & the one in Mosaic Earth are pretty much the same, wherein both have a small population (no more than 3-4 million), they rely on fish etc for food, & mining is their main industry.

As far as I know, it's almost impossible for any significant number of people to live on land that remains covered with thick ice for the entire year around. Even northern Siberia, Canada, and Alaska are mainly tundra rather than ice. The parts of Greenland that are inhabited are mainly southern coastal areas - the only places that aren't ice-covered. I think that the only large piece of land in Antarctica that isn't permanently ice-covered is the peninsula that curves out northward toward the southern end of South America. I think the climate there is tundra-like and roughly equivalent to the northernmost parts of the Eurasian and North American continents. I doubt it could hold millions of people, though. Maybe tens or hundreds of thousands at most. None of the other tundra areas on earth hold millions of people.