Age of the Einherjar: A Norsewank TL

Delvestius

Banned
Winter Solstice 866, 20 miles west of Gamla Uppsala

Godhi Haldor Hamondsson almost always preferred to hold sacrifices outside under the heavens, but it was snowing so hard that it seemed Skadhi herself was in attendance. He chose to initiate the ritual inside the hof, but even this didn't silence the complaints of Agdar Alfsson whose rotund figure and shaggy beard belied his chilliness.

The temple was the largest structure in the town of Västerås, though it was not massive by any means. Still, it wasn't difficult to seat everybody on the benches inside. To the right of the hall was the room where Haldor and his wife Gydha Olga slept. To the left was the larder where Olga and some village girls were preparing a stuck boar for the feast. The roof was steep, and echoes resonated off the angled ceiling.

A goat gave a shortened bleat as the gothi's blade passed across its neck. The creature collapsed feebly while its lifeblood gushed into a dish of solid gold. Once full, the priest raised the basin and carefully placed it in front of a runestone depicting a one-eyed figure atop an eight legged steed. "We offer this sacrifice in the name of the Odhin Alfodhr, creator of all things and high chief of Asgard. " Two more sheep were slaughtered and bled in like manner. Another bowl was filled and placed in front of a figure with a mighty hammer. "We offer this sacrifice to Asator, strongest of all gods, bringer of rain, protector of mankind." The last bowl was placed in front of a figure with an immense phallus. "We offer this sacrifice to Freyr Yngwe, may he keep our homes and kinsmen safe and joyous."

Haldor turned to his congregation as fire glinted of the dripping knife. "All gods are worthy of praise, and we should show them homage whenever we are in need of their assistance". He walked over to the middle stone and stuck the knife in the ground. "Tonight we honor the great hunter above all. Boundless is his wisdom, immense is his fury, the greatest of all magicians. He is known by many names; Asagrim, Fjolnir, Vafudhr, Hangi, Jolnir, and many more. Take heed, for Odhin Alfodhr alone decides when we diminish in silent death. Hjaldrgodh alone decides whether our souls are worthy of righteous paradise." Perhaps it was the leathery toadstools he had eaten before the ceremony, but what he uttered next seemed to be the words of the Alfadhr himself. "Hail the glorious Einherjar, who's mighty service may yet determine the fate of the gods."

Next: A Trip to Uppsala

Last edited:

Delvestius

Banned
January 867, jättehof of Gamla Uppsala

Haldor always preferred to be well rested and of clear mind when in the presence of the gods. He awoke just as the first rays began to burst over the horizon. Watching the sunrise was always a time of great meditation. He reflected greatly on his task, and resolved himself to his fate.

After an hours ride he came to small house and two sod structures. Haldor saw priest repairing an axle. "I'm looking for Hofudhgodhi Bjorn." "Who's asking?" he asked without looking up from his project. "Godhi Haldor Hamondsson of Västerås." The priest looked up, an older man with a prominent jawbone. "Yes, I remember year from last year's Allthing. Tell me, are you going to tell your grand stories of adventure again?" "If it is asked of me." The priest scoffed at that. "It's not for another month, what draws you hear so early?" "That concerns the Hofudhgodhi." The priest stared for a moment. "He usually spends his days in the study on the second floor," he said curtly. Haldor tied his horse near the house and continued up the path to the temple.

The jättehof was the largest building in Sweden, but Haldor had seen Miklagard, the center of the world, with castles and churches many stories high. The greatest house of his gods paled in comparison, and Haldor craved to give them great citadels of iron and stone to stand the test of time. Still, the jättehof was an impressively crafted building of great spiritual presence. Haldorf entered through the great oak doors and entered a grand hall. In the center, the largest runestones Haldor had ever seen stood majestically with Thor in the center, Freyr and Odin on either side. "I'm aware of you decision to place Odhin in the center of your hof" said a voice behind him. Haldor turned around to see Hofudhgodhi Bjorn coming from the staircase. "Those days are long over, our people grew tired of endless sacrifice to the god of war. Considering your past, I could see why you Identify with him."

Haldor spent many years of his life as an ulfhedhinn in the service of King Rurik the Varangian. In 860, he accompanied a great host led by the generals Dir and Askold, sacking Miklagard itself and laid waste to many acres of the city. Upon his return to Sweden in 865 Haldor married a gydha and has performed the rituals of Västerås for the past two years. "War and fury are but one side of the Alfadhr. Do not forgot that the Alfadhr is lord of language and poetry, and infinitely wise. He has suffered much for his knowledge, this we all know. Greatest of all, he is the lord of death, to which all must succumb. It is by his mandate I come to you." Bjorn held up his hand. "Let us take this to the study."

The upstairs had a middle halfway and a room on each side. Bjorn led Haldor into the left room and shut the door behind them. The room consisted of a shelf of neatly stacked parchment and a desk covered in loose parchment and quill ink. After they were seated, Bjorn nodded as if to continue. "Our Skalds tell of Ragnarok and its futility. Odin foresaw it himself in his great wisdom. He came to me during the Yule ritual, and bestowed a new great wisdom that I have been tasked to report to you. There is hope yet for the gods, if the einherjar are vast and plentiful. We must reach all of mankind and prepare them for the final battle. "

Two suspicious blue eyes studied Haldor. "Were you on dreamspore when you had this encounter?" "Of course, I saw the traveler as clear as day." Bjorn sat quietly pondering. After a minute or two he gave an answer. "You ask me to refute history, you ask me to refute the future... This is something no one man can do. The Thing of All Swedes is to be the first of March, we shall see what the jarls have to say."

Next: The Allthing and a special guest

Last edited: