A winter in Smolensk, a sixth coalition TL

Part 30- Vittoria
Over the Spring of 1813, Wellington and his Iberian allies had renewed their offensive against the French. Guerillas, now supplied and cooperation with Wellington, launched attacks on the French supply lines and intercepted their dispatches. Five weeks prior, King Joseph and Marshal Jourdan had been forced to abandon Madrid once more, the British having outflanked the capital. Marshal Suchet meanwhile, was forced to slowly yield ground to General Murray's force. While Jourdan had intended to face Wellington at a position just North of Madrid, Wellington managed to repeatedly outmanuver him.

Finally settling on a defensive position on the Zadorra river, near the town of Vittoria, Joseph and Jordan began to set up the line, consisting of about 60,000 men. Wellington was hot on their tail, with 85,000 seasoned soldiers, intending to attack before the French could consolidate. On the 25th of June, with Jordan ill and the French forces still getting into position, the Coalition attacked. The out of position French troops were rapidly overwhelmed, as the British columns swept them across the countryside. From here a pattern developed, the Frech would retreat to a new line, and the British wouldn't wait to attack it, breaching a section of the line and forcing yet more retreats.

In early afternoon, as the British neared Vittoria itself, there was a late scare as General Clauzel and 20,000 men arrived, who launched a well coordinated counterattack. But by now Wellington had outflanked the town, and fearing encirclement, many of the soldiers routed. Amid chaotic and brutal street fighting in the town, the army's baggage train, holding the half decades worth of loot from Spain, desperately tried to escape. In the North, Guerillas turned regulars under Colonal Longa charged into the city, destroying the last tenuous defensive line of the French.
______
Around this time Wellington wasn't far behind the line, observing with approval. He turned to his staff "Not a bad days work eh?" "Certainly so, your grace." General Hill, who'd join the Marquess at his obersation point noted "I think we'll knick most of the baggage train, I'm sure the Cortes will appreciate it." "Whatever doesn't vanish into private hands that is, sir." Hill quipped. Wellington frowned at that, before his attention was drawn by a French cannonball. He had a mere moment to express concern about its path, before there was a deafenning boom.

"My god sir!..." General Hill said, stunned "You've lost your arm!" Wellington turn down and to the left, gazing at the mess of blood and torn cloth "My god sir!..." His voice trembled "So I have!"...

Over the Spring of 1813, Wellington and his Iberian allies had renewed their offensive against the French. Guerillas, now supplied and cooperation with Wellington, launched attacks on the French supply lines and intercepted their dispatches. Five weeks prior, King Joseph and Marshal Jourdan had been forced to abandon Madrid once more, the British having outflanked the capital. Marshal Suchet meanwhile, was forced to slowly yield ground to General Murray's force. While Jourdan had intended to face Wellington at a position just North of Madrid, Wellington managed to repeatedly outmanuver him.

Finally settling on a defensive position on the Zadorra river, near the town of Vittoria, Joseph and Jordan began to set up the line, consisting of about 60,000 men. Wellington was hot on their tail, with 85,000 seasoned soldiers, intending to attack before the French could consolidate. On the 25th of June, with Jordan ill and the French forces still getting into position, the Coalition attacked. The out of position French troops were rapidly overwhelmed, as the British columns swept them across the countryside. From here a pattern developed, the Frech would retreat to a new line, and the British wouldn't wait to attack it, breaching a section of the line and forcing yet more retreats.

In early afternoon, as the British neared Vittoria itself, there was a late scare as General Clauzel and 20,000 men arrived, who launched a well coordinated counterattack. But by now Wellington had outflanked the town, and fearing encirclement, many of the soldiers routed. Amid chaotic and brutal street fighting in the town, the army's baggage train, holding the half decades worth of loot from Spain, desperately tried to escape. In the North, Guerillas turned regulars under Colonal Longa charged into the city, destroying the last tenuous defensive line of the French.
______
Around this time Wellington wasn't far behind the line, observing with approval. He turned to his staff "Not a bad days work eh?" "Certainly so, your grace." General Hill, who'd join the Marquess at his obersation point noted "I think we'll knick most of the baggage train, I'm sure the Cortes will appreciate it." "Whatever doesn't vanish into private hands that is, sir." Hill quipped. Wellington frowned at that, before his attention was drawn by a French cannonball. He had a mere moment to express concern about its path, before there was a deafenning boom.

"My god sir!..." General Hill said, stunned "You've lost your arm!" Wellington turn down and to the left, gazing at the mess of blood and torn cloth "My god sir!..." His voice trembled "So I have!"...

What I just read, I'm sorry for Wellington, on the one hand I hope he survives, after all I've always liked to see / imagine what he could have done against a Napoleon in better shape than Otl ( compared to the one he faced in the military campaigns of the 100 days I mean, as it would be very funny to see a ranking drawn up by Napy on the worst adversaries he has faced, it is not such an absurd idea, given that Otl made the list of the best soldiers by "nationality" ) on the other hand, his possible death takes away a skilled general from the English, but all in all it wouldn't change the developments much in the grand scheme of events, but in case you make him survive, it would be funny if his soldiers called him in the long run the "general truncated victory" in reference to his arm and the location of the battle

______

To continue the sentence:
“…. what a nuissance!” [1]
Now you just have to do something to his eye. And, upping the ante, to his leg as well. 😂

________
[1] Presumably, that’s what Osterman-Tolstoy said when his arm had been sawed off so this (a) would not be anachronistic and (b) add to the general’s legend. 😉

Last edited:
What I just read, I'm sorry for Wellington, on the one hand I hope he survives, after all I've always liked to see / imagine what he could have done against a Napoleon in better shape than Otl ( compared to the one he faced in the military campaigns of the 100 days I mean, as it would be very funny to see a ranking drawn up by Napy on the worst adversaries he has faced, it is not such an absurd idea, given that Otl made the list of the best soldiers by "nationality" ) on the other hand, his possible death takes away a skilled general from the English, but all in all it wouldn't change the developments much in the grand scheme of events, but in case you make him survive, it would be funny if his soldiers called him in the long run the "general truncated victory" in reference to his arm and the location of the battle
This is insensitive, given what just happened in the chapter.

This is insensitive, given what just happened in the chapter.

mine is not really malice, just a fact, for the English his death would be a serious problem, for Napoleon only one less opponent to take into consideration, but his survival could become an enormous propaganda weapon, to encourage the his soldiers to fight even harder than before with him at their side, I certainly feel sorry for Wellington, but after all he wouldn't be the first in the last commander to lose a limb in battle while continuing to fight afterwards, becoming a source of inspiration for his

mine is not really malice, just a fact, for the English his death would be a serious problem, for Napoleon only one less opponent to take into consideration, but his survival could become an enormous propaganda weapon, to encourage the his soldiers to fight even harder than before with him at their side, I certainly feel sorry for Wellington, but after all he wouldn't be the first in the last commander to lose a limb in battle while continuing to fight afterwards, becoming a source of inspiration for his
I was making a joke. Your argument is cogent, and even if he does survive the war, Wellington may never make it to Number 10 here.

Wounding Wellington seems a rather sudden bone to throw the French, but I suppose it's interesting to explore what else could go well for the French after a defeat in Russia. Still, Boney's not getting rid of the "spanish ulcer" any time soon.

Part 31- German Campaign
By the start of July, Napoleon had been forced to retreat across the Warta, abandoning Poznań to the Russians. Upon hearing of his brothers humiliating defeat at Vittoria, he'd considered sending a marshal to salvage the situation. But, with Germany so hotly contested, he decided to send his stepson Eugène, who was holding the still peaceful Italian border. Eugène left with 10,000 Italian troops on July 7th, intending to fight a retreating battle to the Pyrenees. In the meantime, the main body of his army was to hold Germany at all cost.

Napoleon had correctly guessed the Coalition's intention to crush him at Dresden, with Barclay and the Tsar's newly named Army of Poland, and Blucher's Army of Silesia coming South. Having sent 35,000 reinforcements to Massèna, he ordered the marshal to threaten Berlin, hoping the Prussian capitulation would force Alexander to sue for peace. Saint Cyr's I Corp had begun to ready the fortress city of Dresden, either for a siege or a storming, while MacDonald's XV Corps was coming East to support the emperor.

By now, the Russian mobilization had begun to catch up, and the Army of Poland recieved two additional corps of reinforcements, with a third aiding the Prussians in their sieges. With nearly 200,000 soldiers to Napoleons 160,000, Alexander opted to continue the pursuit. The Frech copied what the Russians had done the prior year, stripping the countryside of all they could take, and burning what they could not. On July 3rd, Ney and Davout, whose corps formed the rearguard, were ambushed by Platov's Cossacks near the town Kuślin. Surrounded and briefly cut off, the marshals managed to ward off the Cossacks and rejoin the army, albeit with 10,000 casualties on both sides.

To the North, Massèna and his new reinforcements, numbering around 85,000 men, had been forced to abandon their position on the Oder. Fighting a running battle until his new troos reached him, he finally made a stand at Cottbus on the 9th, the French threw back the Coalition, inflicting 15,000 casualties compared to just 6,000 French. But three days later at a strong defensive position of Lübbenau, Bennigsen and Blucher were joined by Bernadotte, now crown prince of Sweden. The ex-marshal brought the first two divisions of the Swedish army with him, and together the three generals held off Massèna. The two day battle of Lübbenau saw the French fail to push back the Coalition, before a Prussian-led cavalry charge on the second day forced their withdrawal, at the cost of 12,000 coalition and 15,000 French casualties.

With his Northern flank stalled, Napoleon revised his plan. He left Marshal Ney in charge of a 60,000 strong force, with orders to delay Barclay, and led the rest of the army North. The coming battle would decide the fate of Prussia...

On July 3rd, Ney and Davout, whose corps formed the rearguard, were ambushed by Platov's Cossacks near the town Kuślin. Surrounded and briefly cut off, the marshals managed to ward off the Cossacks and rejoin the army, albeit with 10,000 casualties on both sides.
Minor suggestion: it's unlikely that Cossacks on their own would be able to inflict such high casualties on a force of regular infantry and cavalry that would have comprised a corps, even a battered one. Maybe a situation where the Cossacks and some regular light cavalry delayed the two marshals, allowing the advance guard of the Russian army to catch up with them?

Minor suggestion: it's unlikely that Cossacks on their own would be able to inflict such high casualties on a force of regular infantry and cavalry that would have comprised a corps, even a battered one. Maybe a situation where the Cossacks and some regular light cavalry delayed the two marshals, allowing the advance guard of the Russian army to catch up with them?
Yeah didn't mean to suggest that, it's more the Cossacks cut them off long enough for the Russian vanguard to engage them.

Usually it's Tilsit that sees Prussia destroyed in alternate history scenarios. One wonders if the House of Brandenburg will be out of miracles.

Part 32- Marital Drama

Bautzen, July 12th, 1813​

"Sorbier, he's been having trouble... getting the spare lead for his balls." Napoleon said with a full mouth as he tore to shreds what had once been a German chicken "He says his quartermaster is being too conservative, and apparently he thinks you can help." Marshal Berthier watched with disgust as Napoleon multilated his breakfast "Well he's not wrong, I think there's plenty, at least until the end of summer the way things are going." Napoleon grunted as he continued his meal "Well I know this is a bit below your salery, but will you straighten this out for me, he's been riding me all week about it, and I'm not sure I can handle anymore headaches these days." Berthier nodded "Of course sire, I'll talk with Sorbier today." Napoleon nodded "Good Berthier, what would I do without you?" Berthier shrugged.

"Sire?" General Duroc, Grand marshal of the palace stepped inside "Forgive my impertinence, but might I join you?" He looked at Berthier "Alone?" Berthier looked at both men "I have an artillery quartermaster to scream at anyway, good day sire." Napoleon nodded to give the marshal permission to go. Once he had, he pointed at an empty chair "Sit please." He said quickly "Must be important after all." The general awkwardly pulled up a chair "Sire..." He struggled for the words "I've always been frank with Your Majesty..." Napoleon nodded "And I've always rewarded you for it." "Indeed sire, and do you wish me to continue this?" "Always." He said without thinking "Even if it will cause such pain for your majesty?" "Especially then." The emperor grew concerned "Nothing has happened, to my wife or my son?" Duroc was uncomfortable "Well sire-" "Josephine?!" he blurted out in panic "No... no, no." Duroc quieted him "The Empress is with child."

Napoleon slumped back in his chair, letting out a bitter and intimidating chuckle "And just to what extent is she with child Duroc?" The general held his ground, even as sweat trickled down his forehead "Well I'm no doctor sire, but from what I can see there's no way it's-" In one fluid motion, Napoleon flung his small table across the room "You were spying on my wife?" He asked plainly, his expression unchanged, his eyes locked on the general "I have a correspondence with one of her lady's maids." He answered "If I told you how many times it's saved both your lives you'd be offended "Clearly." Was all Napoleon could muster "Do you know who?" "No sire, though if I had to guess I'd say one of the new recruits, they're closer to her age than we are after all." Napoleon chuckled again "If there really is a lord in heaven, I must praise his narrative." Was all he could say "Well... besides us, who knows?" Duroc stood "Well, her of course, my contact, and besides her physician merely whoever she's gossipped with."

The emperor was silent "I don't want anyone else finding out, not one soul." He stood, and walked up to Duroc, unsheathing his sword "Swear to me, on this, you'll make that happen." Duroc stood at attention "I swear on my sword sire, that not one soul will discover what I have told you, at least not willingly from me." Napoleon let out a sinister smile "I'd expect nothing less my friend, now would you give me the room please." Duroc bowed and exited without a word. Alone with his thoughts, Napoleon felt alone indeed. His chest felt tight, his breathing became rapid, and with no other recourse in sight, the emperor ripped the sheets off his bed, flung his furniture about the room, and for the first time since his son was born, Napoleon wept...

Bautzen, July 12th, 1813​

"Sorbier, he's been having trouble... getting the spare lead for his balls." Napoleon said with a full mouth as he tore to shreds what had once been a German chicken "He says his quartermaster is being too conservative, and apparently he thinks you can help." Marshal Berthier watched with disgust as Napoleon multilated his breakfast "Well he's not wrong, I think there's plenty, at least until the end of summer the way things are going." Napoleon grunted as he continued his meal "Well I know this is a bit below your salery, but will you straighten this out for me, he's been riding me all week about it, and I'm not sure I can handle anymore headaches these days." Berthier nodded "Of course sire, I'll talk with Sorbier today." Napoleon nodded "Good Berthier, what would I do without you?" Berthier shrugged.

"Sire?" General Duroc, Grand marshal of the palace stepped inside "Forgive my impertinence, but might I join you?" He looked at Berthier "Alone?" Berthier looked at both men "I have an artillery quartermaster to scream at anyway, good day sire." Napoleon nodded to give the marshal permission to go. Once he had, he pointed at an empty chair "Sit please." He said quickly "Must be important after all." The general awkwardly pulled up a chair "Sire..." He struggled for the words "I've always been frank with Your Majesty..." Napoleon nodded "And I've always rewarded you for it." "Indeed sire, and do you wish me to continue this?" "Always." He said without thinking "Even if it will cause such pain for your majesty?" "Especially then." The emperor grew concerned "Nothing has happened, to my wife or my son?" Duroc was uncomfortable "Well sire-" "Josephine?!" he blurted out in panic "No... no, no." Duroc quieted him "The Empress is with child."

Napoleon slumped back in his chair, letting out a bitter and intimidating chuckle "And just to what extent is she with child Duroc?" The general held his ground, even as sweat trickled down his forehead "Well I'm no doctor sire, but from what I can see there's no way it's-" In one fluid motion, Napoleon flung his small table across the room "You were spying on my wife?" He asked plainly, his expression unchanged, his eyes locked on the general "I have a correspondence with one of her lady's maids." He answered "If I told you how many times it's saved both your lives you'd be offended "Clearly." Was all Napoleon could muster "Do you know who?" "No sire, though if I had to guess I'd say one of the new recruits, they're closer to her age than we are after all." Napoleon chuckled again "If there really is a lord in heaven, I must praise his narrative." Was all he could say "Well... besides us, who knows?" Duroc stood "Well, her of course, my contact, and besides her physician merely whoever she's gossipped with."

The emperor was silent "I don't want anyone else finding out, not one soul." He stood, and walked up to Duroc, unsheathing his sword "Swear to me, on this, you'll make that happen." Duroc stood at attention "I swear on my sword sire, that not one soul will discover what I have told you, at least not willingly from me." Napoleon let out a sinister smile "I'd expect nothing less my friend, now would you give me the room please." Duroc bowed and exited without a word. Alone with his thoughts, Napoleon felt alone indeed. His chest felt tight, his breathing became rapid, and with no other recourse in sight, the emperor ripped the sheets off his bed, flung his furniture about the room, and for the first time since his son was born, Napoleon wept...

poor Napoleon, I feel sorry for him, how is it possible that Maria Luisa betrayed him, did it really happen ?, I know that Otl had begged her father to be able to follow him into exile on Elba and that she was also very attached to him, it's who pined for him when he was on his military campaigns, so either someone is lying to him ( in Napy ) or Luisa has gone crazy ( because I have no other possible explanation for this, knowing the background and environment she grew up in, who could hardly tolerate such a scenario )

Even if she did cheat on him, I don't think it's impossible for napoleon to simply accept the child, especially considering that he does not have an heir. However the Austrians have already screwed him over so it's not like there is any diplomatic concerns with simply dropping her and the child outright.

Last edited: