A True and Better Alamo Redux

Nice.:cool:

When do we start seeing B-29 raids against the Home Islands? Given that there's no Aleutian Campaign ITTL, this makes Attu available as a bomber base as soon as the necessary facilities are built, thus eliminating the need to base bombers in western China (where the extreme range and remote location necessitated much-reduced bomb loads and meant that raids could be launched only infrequently due to the slow pace of resupply).

When do we start seeing B-29 raids against the Home Islands? Given that there's no Aleutian Campaign ITTL, this makes Attu available as a bomber base as soon as the necessary facilities are built, thus eliminating the need to base bombers in western China (where the extreme range and remote location necessitated much-reduced bomb loads and meant that raids could be launched only infrequently due to the slow pace of resupply).

I don't think the B-29 had reached squadron level or readiness until the middle of 1944. Even if the US had bases in 1943 the B-29 wasn't ready.

Probably a bit earlier. I'm not too sure about this one actually. Given the state of the war elsewhere in the Pacific, airbases in the Aleutians might be a pointless diversion. Those airbases in Western China become a whole lot more economical when the Burma Road (and who knows...maybe a Burma RAILROAD) is in operation and when those bases are further east...

...Also let's just say that the American offensives in the Pacific are going to go...faster...than OTL

Great read and you gave me a few more ideas.

Always happy to help. Looking forward to what you have planned! I will keep mum as to what it is.:D

Nice series of posts! One minor quibble. Punji sticks are an old idea, but TBMK they were invented by Vietnamese guerillas to fight foreign invaders- only they were the Mongols, as opposed to Americans, French or Japanese. (General Giap ordered a reprinting of one of the early Vietnamese works on the subject.)

Comments...

Would have been nice to see Bataan survive, but just too far to send that much supplies...

Not sure what is meant by "The actions of King and Wainwright in creating and strengthening the Philippine resistance means that it is exponentially stronger in TTL ... for better or for worse."

This could mean lots of Japanese punishment of Civilians in response to the strong Philippine resistance...

I would expect that any Philippine resistance would still be loyal to the pre-war Philippine Government and the US Plan of transition to independence.

OTL the Doolittle raid was necessary for the public morale, ITTL i see it as a waste of planes and fuel to get there.

I can see your point, but a direct attack on the homeland will definitely get someone's attention. I would think this gets the same result as OTL in forcing resources to be kept home to prevent a repetition...

OTL the Doolittle raid was necessary for the public morale, ITTL i see it as a waste of planes and fuel to get there.

Thanks for the feedback. But keep in mind, that FDR has to do something about the situation on Bataan. In OTL Bataan's surrender actually saved America a lot of face because they didn't have to admit to not being able to relieve their army there. In TTL America's trying to demonstrate that it hasn't abandoned the defenders on Bataan and as a result launches the Doolittle Raid as well as some other operations...

Still as the excerpt from the most recent part showed, many people in TTL see it as a waste of fuel and planes. Fortunately, America's not short on either of those at the moment :D

I can see your point, but a direct attack on the homeland will definitely get someone's attention. I would think this gets the same result as OTL in forcing resources to be kept home to prevent a repetition...

It will also have some decidedly unintended consequences.

Don't think of it as a raid, think of it as a ferry flight to China that happened to drop a few bombs as it flew over Japan.

:D

Just thinking, Fearless Leader, if TTL's Pacific War helps to shorten the European theater war, one knock-on effect isthat more Jews (and other groups) survive TTL's Holocaust.

Plus, the Japanese military is experiencing a death by a thousand cuts TTL. Japan might resort to kamakize attacks earlier than OTL. Hope they don't go chemical or biological.

This has all sorts of interesting effects (such as a larger Jewish population in Palestine, for one).

Waiting for more, of course...:D

ViperKing

Banned
So will you have an ORBAT for this timelines version of Operation Torch, because with such an earlier date I'm curious to see what units are not going to be available ITTL, and there are going to be fewer forces available in June/July of 1942 then there would have been in November 1942.