A New Deal for America: An Alternate History of the Late 1970s & Beyond

Jackson cabinet (most requiring Senate confirmation)
President: Henry Jackosn
Vice-President: Lloyd Bentsen
Chief of Staff: Richard Perle
National Security Adviser: Paul Wolfowitz
Secretary of State: Jeane Kirkpatrick
Secretary of Defense: Douglas Feith
Treasury Secretary: Edmund Muskie
Attorney General: Griffin Bell
Ambassador to the UN: Elliott Abrams
Interior Secretary: Cecil D Andrus
Agriculture Secretary: Bob Bergland
Commerce Secretary: Mike Mansfield
Secretary of Labor: Ray Marshall
Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare: Patricia R Harris
Secretary of HUD: Moon Landrieu
Secretary of Transportation: Brock Adams
Secretary of Energy: Warren G Magnuson

I appreciate (in a literary sense!) making Doug "The Dumbest Fucking Guy on the Planet" Feith the Secretary of Defense, given that he was a close ally of Scoop's IOTL as well, but I can't imagine the Senate approving a 23-year-old fresh out of college. Maybe he could start off as the Deputy SecDef a la Condoleeza Rice and then get elevated after a few years?

Also: Jesus Christ, I had no idea how many of the worst villains of the '80s were former Scoop staffers. Elliott Abrams??!?

I appreciate (in a literary sense!) making Doug "The Dumbest Fucking Guy on the Planet" Feith the Secretary of Defense, given that he was a close ally of Scoop's IOTL as well, but I can't imagine the Senate approving a 23-year-old fresh out of college. Maybe he could start off as the Deputy SecDef a la Condoleeza Rice and then get elevated after a few years?

Also: Jesus Christ, I had no idea how many of the worst villains of the '80s were former Scoop staffers. Elliott Abrams??!?

Maybe the Feith appointment is problematic. I was thinking Ben Wattenberg, would he work better?

Terrifying that the so-called "Kirkpatrick Doctrine" gets government support a decade earlier. Although the 'initial' implies that it moderates as time goes on.

President Jackson's main focus over the summer was the battle for the energy bill. The stimulus passed easily, leaving energy as the key issue. The energy lobby largely opposed the bill. The energy bill struggled to pass Congress, with Republicans opposed to it, viewing it as too much taxation and spending. Opponents sought to choke it in committee. Jackson complained 'Congress is the graveyard of many great dreams." However the administration had strong links with Congress, and the Democratic leadership rammed the bill through. The bill passed the House. Tip O'Neill, Speaker of the House, was loyal to the President, and ensured the bill wasn't ripped apart by competing interests. The bill went to the Senate now, where procedural rules could easily doom it. The bill's fate largely rested in the hands of powerful committee chairman, Russell Long of Louisiana.

PHO-08Nov18-139081.jpg
Jackson, while successful at passing his agenda, struggled to communicate it to the American people. Liberal measures were being proposed, but the administration was not connecting them under one theme. Jackson, despite some efforts, still struggled in front of cameras, and was unable to be charismatic and present a strong message to the public. Staffers complained that Jackson was inarticulate and routinely delivered long, boring and convoluted statements. Chief of Staff Perle grumbled "What we're proposing looks and sounds good, but it's no good on its own, and the President needs to tie it together." Jackson did get better over time, and in October 1977 he and numerous lawmakers declared the launch of his "New Liberalism" but conservatives were quick to declare there was nothing new about Jackson's liberalism. President Jackson ended the year with an approval rating of 60%, a mildly good number.

The economy grew strongly in 1977. The first quarter saw nearly 5% growth, this leapt to 8% in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. By the end of the year the economy was not doing so well. Growth in the fourth quarter was 0.7%. Unemployment shrunk throughout 1977. The Humphrey-Hawkins Full Employment Act was pushed through Congress at the end of the year, and signed into law on December 12. The act's goal was that by 1983, unemployment rates should be not more than 3% for persons aged 20 or over and not more than 4% for persons aged 16 or over, and it used Keynesian economics to get to that goal. Despite bitter conservative resistance, and the determined opposition of the business community, which saw it as inflationary, the bill passed Congress. Liberal constituencies, wary of Jackson's hawkish foreign policy, were at least somewhat reassured by his solidly liberal domestic policy. By the end of the year unemployment had shrunk from 7.5% to 6.0%. However inflation had jumped from 5% to 7% and over. Economists predicted the economy would continue to grow at a steady rate, and unemployment would continue to shrink, but unless the administration acted this growth could be jeopardized by inflation, which was rising fast. Some analysts even predicted double-digit inflation, many predicted inflation would continue to be high well into the 1980s. However measures to attack inflation could increase unemployment and even cause a recession, if they were too harsh. Jackson decided, for now, to take the liberal course of action.

220px-Russell_B._Long.jpg
Senator Russell Long was reluctant to support the energy bill in its current form. Conservatives and Republicans fought to amend the bill to make it more friendly to the oil industry. Perle's efforts to lobby Senators flopped, with Long calling him a "stuck up little s***" and demanding the President "come down here himself and give us some respect." The bill in danger, the administration geared for action. Long and Jackson met in the Oval, Long demanded amendments, Jackson refused. The American energy Act lacked strong public support, so Jackson was in a bad position. The President ultimately won over Long and wavering lawmakers, perhaps some pork helped in that matter. The American energy Act passed the Senate in October, the conference committee now sought to iron out the differences. Long joined Jackson's team and opposition was stifled. On November 13, 1977, President Jackson signed the American Energy Act into law. And so his first year came to a close. On the domestic front, he had achieved successes. 1978 had big ticket items such as universal healthcare potentially on the agenda, and the President was certain to face tough challenges, home and abroad.

What would be Scoop Jackson's position vis-a-vis Rhodesia and southern Africa? Wouldn't that make Anglo-American relations difficult because of this and especially with the Conservatives under Thatcher winning in 1979?

especially with the Conservatives under Thatcher winning in 1979

With a POD like this, Callaghan could hold an election in 1978, win a slim majority, and Thatcher never becomes PM.

Anyways, I'd expect Jackson's economic policy to work well. However, he needs to lay off the inflation and stick to increasing government spending. If he does that, he can win in 1980, and the times from there are easy. In foreign policy, I'd feel he'd be a better president than Carter. A hawk was necessary in the troubles of the late 70s IMO.

So he will be a two termer but he'll die in his second term.

What would be Scoop Jackson's position vis-a-vis Rhodesia and southern Africa? Wouldn't that make Anglo-American relations difficult because of this and especially with the Conservatives under Thatcher winning in 1979?
Probably a constructive engagement type relationship, where the US, while still supporting South Africa, will criticize Apartheid and encourage reforms to dismantle it. Except, since Jackson has a civil rights faction of his party, he'll have to bow to them, and have some sanctions, if his presidency lasts long enough.

Just read this TL, solid work! It's always interesting to read about a political figure like Jackson who's actions and stances would cause me to swing almost daily between loving him and despising him.

EP-710219901.jpg&updated=201210211123&MaxW=800&maxH=800&noborder
At home, liberal frustration with the President was brewing. While liberals applauded President Jackson's agenda, they were opposed to his foreign policy. Many complained, with quite a bit of truth to it, that his foreign policy could have come from a Reagan administration. Jackson refused to compromise on foreign policy, even as he came under pressure from the liberal wing of his party. Several liberals reported they were surprised by the hawkishness of the President's foreign policy, having expected him to tone it down once he won the nomination and the presidency. Protests arose due to Jackson's military buildup, and as detente ended, tensions rose with the Soviet Union. Fears of nuclear war increased, and pressure mounted for Jackson to pull back his buildup. In December 1977 thousands protested in major cities against Jackson's military buildup. Senator George McGovern declared "If the President continues on his current course, we risk nuclear war, he is being irresponsible." Jackson fired back, saying "There is very little chance of nuclear war in the foreseeable future. America needs to stand strong, and not be weak. Appeasement is proven to be a failed policy."

Rumors of a 1980 primary challenge to the President arose. McGovern, Jerry Brown, and Ted Kennedy were all speculated as possible candidates. A Ted Kennedy challenge would be most formidable, though after he had declined yo run in 1972 and 1976, many thought the Chappaquiddick scandal had killed his presidential hopes for good. Still, Kennedy retained widespread support among the base. As frustration arose with Jackson's inability to tackle inflation and his foreign policy, a Gallup poll showed 42% Kennedy, 42% Jackson for the 1980 Democratic primary. Jackson's support was declining, and his approval ratings hovered around 50%. Jackson had not exhausted his capital yet, but liberals and the country were beginning to lose patience with him.

virg-j25.jpg
On December 6 1977, 165,000 members of the UMW(United Mine Workers) walked off the job after failing to reach a new contract agreement with the Bituminous Coal Operators Association(BCOA) and the coal operators. The issue was the ability of the miners to engage in 'wildcat strikes' to protest contract or safety standard violations. Initially the strike was expected to be short, and the White House and most commentators took little notice. However the strike became drawn out over several months, through the winter and into 1978. Coal production fell from over 15 million tons a week to less than 6 million by the middle of February. Lawmakers on Capitol Hill entered a "panic", according to Richard Perle. The White House needed to act. Jackson sided with labor, and on February 17 the President had the military seize the mines. He demanded the BCOA settle with the UMW, using the presidential bully pulpit to prod the mine owners to a solution. Business leaders were furious, denouncing the President as anti-business. The mine operators held out for a week, but then the agreed to give more concessions to the miners. On February 25 a new contract was agreed upon. The miners got to keep their benefits and got most of their demands, including the wildcat strikes, but cuts were made to some benefits too. Still, it was a victory for labor and for President Jackson. An NBC-Associated Press showed half the people surveyed approved of his performance during the strike. Labor had renewed loyalty to Scoop Jackson after he stood with them, while the business community increasingly viewed Jackson as anti-business and too liberal.
dfpy33075_grande.jpeg
On January 19, 1978, President Henry M Jackson gave the State of the Union address to Congress and the nation. There was speculation he would unveil an important part of his agenda, but he surpassed those expectations significantly. "Today, this nation faces a crisis. Our healthcare system is not living up to its promises. It costs us more and more, while covering less and less. This has been apparent to Americans on both sides of the aisle, from Senator Edward Kennedy to former President Nixon. It has been apparent to me too. When I ran, I promised to reform our healthcare system. I am not one to break my promises. Now, some people will call on me to wait, to hold off. But the need is pressing now, and the American people deserve better than a President who delays and equivocates. So I will be presenting a bill to Congress to grant universal healthcare to all Americans. We are going to grant the privileges of Medicare to all Americans, we will rein in the excesses of the insurance companies, rein in the costs. As President, every American will get affordable healthcare coverage. Congress, the time has come to act. A hole in our safety net, a hole that has been apparent for decades, will now be filled. We will grant Medicare-for all to all Americans, and fix our failing healthcare system. Hubert Humphrey, a great man and an example for me, said recently 'It was once said that the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped.' I will not let you down. This administration will enhance, not destroy, our safety net. And so we will reform our healthcare system, and grant universal healthcare. Thank you, thank you..."

So is the deal the strikers got gonna help them or hurt them in the long term? How much would universal healthcare cost in the late 70's?