A more rational society.

I don't know if this forum is where it should belong in, but anyways...

Human beings have a problem with gullibility. We often have a problem with being too easily sucked into falsehoods and be indoctrinated by cults, whether religious or political. The problem is we act too often like sheep, like herd animals following a herder blindly.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that all people who are overly, devoutly loyal to a religious or political group were brainwashed, many of them are perfectly logical, rational, free-thinking people who make free choices about choosing an identity.

I'm talking about the problem cases. The cases where a person does not even think for themselves anymore, but acts only on their ideology. Some people call ideas, especially these types, "memes", and sometimes a person thinks their duty is to serve their "meme" or ideology. The cases where indoctrination takes over a person to the extent where they cannot think rationally. That's why we get extreme religious fanatics willing to kill, die or blow themselves up. Equally with political loyalties and nationalism. That's why we got kamikazes in WWII, analogous to the suicide bombers of today.

To make this sound less like a rant and more like a question, could we have evolve/or will we ever get to evolve to the point (in the future) where indoctrination is no longer possible, and people finally think for themselves and act freely? Instead of taking some ideology and accepting it mindlessly, they could finally decide for themselves and think freely and reasonably. Will we finally stop acting like sheep? I know we evolved as social beings and this seems to be engraved somewhat in our minds to act this way. Considering the way we are, this seems like human nature, so changing it would be impossible. I might as well post this as ASB. But will we ever reach this point?

Memes are an ultra-fast version of genes, on a society level. Elliminate them and we'd be living in trees, on our own. We are a collective species and act accordingly. If we wouldn't be able to be brainwashed then there wouldn't be any great leaders/empires. No thanks. Very friendly concept tho. :p

Humans all learn by indoctrination.
They also seek to control their environment - which includes other humans.
So long as some Humans have control over the "facts" learnt by others you will still get "brainwashing".

HelloLegend

Banned
I don't know if this forum is where it should belong in, but anyways...

Human beings have a problem with gullibility. We often have a problem with being too easily sucked into falsehoods and be indoctrinated by cults, whether religious or political. The problem is we act too often like sheep, like herd animals following a herder blindly.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that all people who are overly, devoutly loyal to a religious or political group were brainwashed, many of them are perfectly logical, rational, free-thinking people who make free choices about choosing an identity.

I'm talking about the problem cases. The cases where a person does not even think for themselves anymore, but acts only on their ideology. Some people call ideas, especially these types, "memes", and sometimes a person thinks their duty is to serve their "meme" or ideology. The cases where indoctrination takes over a person to the extent where they cannot think rationally. That's why we get extreme religious fanatics willing to kill, die or blow themselves up. Equally with political loyalties and nationalism. That's why we got kamikazes in WWII, analogous to the suicide bombers of today.

To make this sound less like a rant and more like a question, could we have evolve/or will we ever get to evolve to the point (in the future) where indoctrination is no longer possible, and people finally think for themselves and act freely? Instead of taking some ideology and accepting it mindlessly, they could finally decide for themselves and think freely and reasonably. Will we finally stop acting like sheep? I know we evolved as social beings and this seems to be engraved somewhat in our minds to act this way. Considering the way we are, this seems like human nature, so changing it would be impossible. I might as well post this as ASB. But will we ever reach this point?

You mean like one where we take GLOBAL WARMING as the serious threat it is? Instead of these pseudo CONDITION ORANGE issues?

The Sandman

Banned
All you would really need, assuming that the meme theory is correct, is a general recognition of the existence and operation of memes by the populace. If you know what something is and how it works, it's almost inevitable that you will attempt to control it.