28 Days Later is Real!!!

I saw this movie when it came to theatres, and thought it was better by far than the regular zombie crap. Different spin on things, too. Anyway, suppose that the premise behind the movie really happens: humans become infected w/a virus that is unleashed when a group of animal rights people unwittingly release it. Within a very short time Great Britain (and Ireland?) are quarantined by the rest of the world, although countless thousands flee the islands; reports filter in of similar outbreaks in Paris and New York...what do you think would happen to Europe/North America, and what would you do?!? :eek: :eek:

MrP

Banned
Not seen 28 Days Later - yes, very remiss of me. I take it the animals aren't affected? Hmmm, I'll head back up home, the family and I'll seal off the house with all the spare wargaming supplies I have lying around, then we'll wait for everyone to die . . . or till we run out of food! Oh, aye - we'll fashion some weapons out of my brother's collection of steak knives and a few poles.

MrP said:
Not seen 28 Days Later - yes, very remiss of me. I take it the animals aren't affected? Hmmm, I'll head back up home, the family and I'll seal off the house with all the spare wargaming supplies I have lying around, then we'll wait for everyone to die . . . or till we run out of food! Oh, aye - we'll fashion some weapons out of my brother's collection of steak knives and a few poles.

I haven't seen it either, but I believe that the virus, in addition to killing people, resurrects them ala zombies, so the waiting around for everyone to die wouldn't quite work, as they'd just come back to life and try to eat you. I might be wrong about the nature of the virus, though.

csa945 said:
I haven't seen it either, but I believe that the virus, in addition to killing people, resurrects them ala zombies, so the waiting around for everyone to die wouldn't quite work, as they'd just come back to life and try to eat you. I might be wrong about the nature of the virus, though.

IIRC, the virus doesn't kill you. It instead makes you extremly violent, and you eventually die because you don't eat. So all you have to do is hold out for a while until everybody infected with the virus is dead.

Some Major Problems....

According to the movie the following things make this a difficult situation to deal with:

A) Within 10 seconds of infection a person will become psychotically violent, with little language comprehension. Consider the danger of a person on crystal meth, crack or PCP. Before you try to tackle him, consider the fact that the virus can be spread by any body fluid contact or skin breakage.

B)Don't try to go to any airports, subways, highways, churches, shopping malls, or hospitals (everyone has the same idea). In the movie, one problem is that the moment someone finds a hiding place, the psychotic infected person will get the same idea, killing everybody in the room.

C) Don't trust the military to save you. In the film (SPOILER ALERT) the military establishes a base outside of major cities, complete with all the major amenities. Unfortunately, it is shown that uncooperative people (mainly of the male gender) end up with a bullet in the back of the head.

D) While the virus is contained in New York City and Paris, civil unrest and violence persist for several reasons. First the U.S. and Canada have lost one of their major political allies and economic partners. The complete and utter devaluation of the English pound sterling sparks an economic collapse that would overpower the Great Depression. As airlines industry creates extremely stringent medical measures to prevent the virus from contaminating other countries, air travel becomes prohibitively expensive. Anti-English riots erupt in France and Ireland as rumors spread of the virus in the refugee population.

One thing I never understood about the movie is how the virus was able to spread beyond England. While I can sort of wrap my mind around it spreading to France (some of the infected manage to get to the Chunnel and break through the defenses there and spread from there--unlikely but possible), how on earth did it get across the atlantic?

A boatload of psychotically deranged with little or no coherent mental abilities successfully navigating a boat across the atlantic until landfall? Nope.

Getting on board a plane? This is your captain speaking--please ignore the group of psychotics on board currently attempting to eat your face.... Nope.

So--it's safe to assume that most of the outbreaks will be contained safely on the U.K.

As for what happens afterwards--I'll go with Mr_ Bondoc.

Last edited:
Well, it goes without saying that in the event of an outbreak of a deadly plague, crowding in with strangers might not be the wisest move... :rolleyes:

Doctor What, I could make the point that if they can make people sit in those seats for 7+ hours across the Atlantic, a little face-chewing might not be impossible to persuade us to take but...I agree. Perhaps Ireland and the French outlet of the Chunnel but no more. And given just how fast it hits, even a flight to Ireland would seem uncertain to me.

Mr Bon_doc, good to see you again! I might note that the British Army consisted of approximately 15 renegades in total, and I have always had one question I needed to ask.

Given how fast the disease strikes, how DID they get all those the nice infected psychopaths to line up for the bullet to the head?

Could it possibly infect birds that cross the Atlantic, but doesn't affect them like it does humans and other primates. Once they reach America, somedoy shoots the said bird and gets infected via blood transfer.

One of the characters in the film mentions that just before everything - government, news agencies, relief services, army support, etc. - collapses, there were reports of the infection in Paris and New York. So, perhaps as you say, only the home islands are infected, and the news report was just one more act of sheer paranoia on the part of the media. Anyway, even if it is only the home islands, that is still a distinctly unpleasant thought. One question I have about the virus, is what happens when if the infected dead contaminate the lakes/rivers of England with their putrescence? Further, when the people come back, and the army/government burn the bodies of the infected, could a new series of contagions take place?

Also, hard to say where I myself would choose to hide out. On one hand, if you're in the middle of the countryside by yourself (or w/family, loved ones, etc.) you might go unnoticed, but it would be awfully easy for those bloody infected people to sneak up on you and do away with you. On the other hand, staying in the cities only works so long as you have water. The two main characters in the film meet up w/a father and daughter who tried to stay holed up in their flat, but were running out of water and it was 'the hottest summer on record' for London, etc., so there was no rain at all.

My Guess Into NYC....

I think I have a good idea as to what happened in NYC. Try to imagine the American military is evacuating the region. In an effort to try and obtain a viable sample of the virus for the CDC, the WHO, or one of the many American pharmaceuticals willing to produce a vaccine. So they need a "Monkey Boy"..So they lure said "monkey boy" on a C-140 transport plane. Unfortunately getting him off the plane is a little problematic as the patient bites one of the customs inspectors for the Port Authority of New York City...

Then again it could simply be that some fool mistook a few George A. Romero or Goths in the SOHO District as plague victims....

But the Infected were completely psychotic--getting them onto a plane and keeping them there without them bringing the plane down would have required them being put under heavy restraints and maybe even drugged. There would be a small army waiting for that plane along with guys in bio suits so Monkey Boy managing to bite someone would be problematical.

Mind you.....

Monkey Boy gets loose and bites some guy--soldiers panic and start shooting--infected blood gets spread all over the place and onto some of the soldiers......

Iffy scenario sure but still.....

Thinking about it, the Infected don't seem psychotic all the time. Since they manage to stay in small groups or largish groups. Such as the Infected in the Church, the two Infected racing up the staircase, etc. They smell Uninfected and that seems to stir them up, causing them to chase after them.

also the Infected in the church were sleeping? They were among the dead or whatever those people were. So they aren't screaming and cnarling all the time, only when provoked. when thier attention was got they became agitated and psychotic, racing after Jim? when he ran from the church.

So my guess is that a NYC bound plane manages to leave before everything is clamped down, but one of the Infected manages to get into the cargo hold or something. They're not psychotic all the time and seem to revert to a resting state when they're not subjected to stimuli.

Say the Infected in the plane, settles in the cargo bay for how many hours, resting. But when the plane lands, the authorties arrive, demanding the passengers get off for fear of the virus. But they check the cargo bay last and make noise as they do it, not expecting anything threatening. This wakes the Infect and he attacks the first person he sees, biting him. Moments later said bitten becomes infected and now you have two.

They hit the investigating team, turning them before they can call for help. By the time help arrives, there's a dozen or more Infected running about, chaising planes, employees, baggage handlers, etc. from there they disperse and the not quite ready military is slow to stop them. Up goes NYC in an orgy of blood.

I interpreted the reports of outbreaks in Paris and NYC as attempts by the government to make people believe fleeing was hopeless, so as not to risk a real outbreak.

Really though, I don't know where anyone's getting the face-chewing thing. There was no evidence in the movie the 'ragers' ate people at all from what I remember (though they sure liked to vomit blood on them). Sure, they would bite them and infect them, but that just goes with the hyperaggression.

The Theory Seems Sound...

Eschaton- I don't know, it seems to me that after 4 weeks of a crisis, people would be creating military blockades rather than creating elaborate media hoaxes in order to prevent countries from leaving. Besides, the news reports would be aimed at people who could still comprehend language rather than the infected. It would be far easier to show NATO troops at arrmed encampments at airports and ports of entry...

Doctor What and Psychomeltdown- I guess its safe to say that it is certainly possible to have the virus unleashed in France and NYC. If anything, it certainly brings up the question, how much damage would be done by the end of the epidemic? Consider the fact that the NYSE and NASDAQ stockexchanges would be shut down if the plague had hit those cities . As such, consider the damage to the world economy. With the Paris outbreak, you are looking at the French stock exchange being hit as well.

Mr P- Don't use the steak knives, remember that in the film, if a drop of blood hits you, within 10 seconds, you are going psycho....

Actually, it needs to be blood to blood contact. You're fine if blood gets spattered on your skin, but if it's in a wound, or a mucous membrane (eye, mouth, ect) you're fucked.