• The Audacity of Opposition NickCT

Votes: 33 17.6%
  • The Dawg Pound Dynasty Pellegrino

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • For Want of a Paragraph Meadow

Votes: 82 43.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Going by the list of Turtledove contestants, it looks like this poll is missing the TLIAD "Wheear 'ast tha bin sin' ah saw thee?" by Lord Roem.

Going by the list of Turtledove contestants, it looks like this poll is missing the TLIAD "Wheear 'ast tha bin sin' ah saw thee?" by Lord Roem.

It's under 'Flash Timeline' (which is probably a better fit for it!) - worry not!

As ever, many thanks to Glen for being so on top of things - it is very much appreciated.

Glen

It's under 'Flash Timeline' (which is probably a better fit for it!) - worry not!

As ever, many thanks to Glen for being so on top of things - it is very much appreciated.

yep it was a better fit for flash timeline category so it was moved.

Sabot Cat

Banned
I really think of these wonderful timelines, Hope, Change and Nutmeg is the best.

One of the best things about Hope, Change, and Nutmeg is its ability to fully explore the implications of small changes which are presented in such an engaging and sometimes humorous manner that it can be hard to appreciate their subtle brilliance. Consider this chain of events:

1. In what is essentially the POD, Joe Lieberman fails to win his Senate seat versus Democratic challenger Ned Lamont because of a stronger bid from the Republicans because they ultimately nominated Jack Orchulli instead of Alan Schlesinger.
2. Through an impartial (and innovative) way of simulating butterflies, Seleucus put some light randomized variation in the election results of 2006 that took into account Republican resources being drawn more into the Connecticut race. [*] Thus the Democrats had a six seats up instead of four, giving them a larger majority in the Senate.
3. With fuller control of the Senate, Congressional Democrats are able to push through the repeal of $32 billion in oil tax breaks in the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 [*].
4. The above causes higher oil prices, and thus a worse food crisis in 2008 than OTL that results in more successful revolutions in Egypt, Pakistan and elsewhere in a revolutionary wave reminiscent- but different than- the Arab Spring. The reporting on this is also stellar, with careful attention to historiographic framing, such as through comparisons to the 1848 Revolutions.[*]

And that's just a subplot- the entire timeline is littered with such attention to detail in the logical consequences of small changes.

This particular plot thread was enlightening for me in the real world too, showing how U.S. domestic policy really does have international consequences in ways one might not even anticipate but can logically see how events would turn out that way with a capable author.

For helping me gain some more perspective in the world, for a thoughtful and well-written exploration of butterflies, and for a certain levity that keeps things interesting, I think Hope, Change, and Nutmeg most deserves this Turtledove.

Last edited:
I really think of these wonderful timelines, Hope, Change and Nutmeg is the best.

One of the best things about Hope, Change, and Nutmeg is its ability to fully explore the implications of small changes which are presented in such an engaging and sometimes humorous manner that it can be hard to appreciate their subtle brilliance. Consider this chain of events:

1. In what is essentially the POD, Joe Lieberman fails to win his Senate seat versus Democratic challenger Ned Lamont because of a stronger bid from the Republicans because they ultimately nominated Jack Orchulli instead of Alan Schlesinger.
2. Through an impartial (and innovative) way of simulating butterflies, Seleucus put some light randomized variation in the election results of 2006 that took into account Republican resources being drawn more into the Connecticut race. [*] Thus the Democrats had a six seat up instead of four, giving them a larger majority in the Senate.
3. With fuller control of the Senate, Congressional Democrats are able to push through the repeal of $32 billion in oil tax breaks in the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 [*].
4. The above causes higher oil prices, and thus a worse food crisis in 2008 than OTL that results in more successful revolutions in Egypt, Pakistan and elsewhere in a revolutionary wave reminiscent- but different than- the Arab Spring. The reporting on this is also stellar, with careful attention to historiographic framing, such as through comparisons to the 1848 Revolutions.[*]

And that's just a subplot- the entire timeline is littered with such attention to detail in the logical consequences of small changes.

This particular plot thread was enlightening for me in the real world too, showing how U.S. domestic policy really does have international consequences in ways one might not even anticipate but can logically see how events would turn out that way with a capable author.

For helping me gain some more perspective in the world, for a thoughtful and well-written exploration of butterflies, and for a certain levity that keeps things interesting, I think Hope, Change, and Nutmeg most deserves this Turtledove.

I second this. Seleucus has made one hell of a splash with only her first timeline, and a Turtledove is most definitely richly deserved.

I second this. Seleucus has made one hell of a splash with only her first timeline, and a Turtledove is most definitely richly deserved.

Indeed. All of these have their merits, but undoubtedly Seleucus has goTten the grip of this most of all, with a meticulous attention to detail, gripping writing yet a solid writing style. You deserve this, Seleucus!