2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
(OOC: I've updated Parts 1 and 2 with WB's calls. And by the way, Westbrook, sorry to pile all these on, but you did like 60 of the 50 535 Reports)

535.com
Races by State Pt. 3 of 5
Massachusetts
Presidential: Matt Santos (D/Inc.)
Gubernatorial: Isaac Sidley (D/Inc.)
Congressional: R+1 - Mike Abrams (R Gain) - Sean Adams (D/Inc.) - Stephen Reed (D/Inc.) - Eli Gold (D/Inc.) - Caroline Martin (D/Inc.) - Raj "Ray" Sindh (D/Inc.) - Edward Giles (D/Inc.) - Alan Trent (D/Inc.) - Peter Swanson (D/Inc.) - Theo Demaskos (D/Inc.)

Michigan
Presidential: Glen Allen Walken (R)
Gubernatorial: John Brennan (R Gain)
Senate: Randall Thomas (R/Inc.)
Congressional: (OOC: Westbrook 49 did the 535 and might want to post these first)

Minnesota
Senate: Jack Hunter (R Gain)
Congressional: (OOC: Westbrook 49 did the 535 and might want to post these first)

Mississippi

Missouri
Senate: Laura Shallick (R Gain)

Montana
Gubernatorial: Kurt Carner (D Gain)
Congressional: (OOC: Westbrook 49 did the 535 and might want to post this first)

Nebraska
Congressional: (OOC: Westbrook 49 did the 535 and might want to post this first)

Nevada
Gubernatorial: Randy Broughton (D Gain)
Senate: Howard Weston (R/Inc.)

New Hampshire
Gubernatorial: Kurt Breech (D/Inc.)
Senate: Scott Larkin (D Gain)
Congressional: EVEN - Franz Duke (R/Inc.) - Benjamin Benoit (D/Inc.)

New Jersey
Congressional: (OOC: Westbrook 49 did the 535 and might want to post this first. This had some interesting races!)

I'm a victim of my own success! :p:)
No Problemo, Tim.

Michigan: 1st (William Roem, D Inc.); 2nd (Jim Norton, R Inc.); 3rd (Ron Prentice, R Inc.); 4th (Gus Edwards, R); 5th (Richard Arthur, D Inc.);
6th (Freddie Coons, R Inc.); 7th (Jerry Proctor, R Inc.); 8th (Darren Gibson, R Inc.); 9th (Andrew Travis, D Gain); 10th (Chuck Schiff, R Inc.); 11th (Gerald Somerfold, R Inc.); 12th (Becky Reeseman, D Inc.); 13th (Meredith Payne, D Inc.); 14th (Michael Rice, D); 15th (Nikolas Bronislaus).
D+1

Minnesota: 1st (Bill Vanderleen, DFL Inc.); 2nd (Leif Erikson, R Inc.); 3rd (Pauline Granholm, R Inc.); 4th (Kimberly Clinton, DFL Inc.); 5th (Edward McBain, DFL Inc); 6th(Janine Miller, R Inc.); 7th(Thom Grunder, DFL Inc.); 8th (Jordan Samuels, DFL).
EVEN.

Mississippi:
1st (Donnie Reeves, R Gain); 2nd (Raymond Purcell, D Inc.); 3rd (Curtis Spurling, R Inc.); 4th (Charlie Inboden, D Inc.)
R+1.

Missouri:
1st (Clay Richmond, D Inc.); 2nd (Zach Thibodeaux, R Inc.); 3rd (Bernie Cone, D Inc.); 4th (Todd Hitch, R Gain); 5th (David Moore, D Gain); 6th (Jordan Peele, R); 7th (David Owens, R Inc.); 8th (Allan Blant, R Inc.); 9th (Carol Goodman, R Inc.).
R+1 and D+1; EVEN Total.

Montana:
At-Large (Ryan Price, D Gain).
D+1.

Nebraska:
Unchanged (Bentley 1st, Garrett 2nd and Trent 3rd) all Republican incumbents reelected.

Nevada:
1st (Matthew Spencer, D Inc.); 2nd (Hank Wallace, R Inc.); 3rd (Stephen Chase, D Gain).
D+1.

New Jersey:
1st (Walt Hubbard, Democrat); 2nd (Tucker Fitzpatrick, R Inc.); 3rd (Ty Branson, D Gain); 4th (Stu Clendon, R Inc); 5th (D.R. Perry, D Gain); 6th (Holly Clarke, D); 7th (Bob Grimsley, R Inc.); 8th (Khalil Hamdan, D); 9th (Mike Sheare, R Gain); 10th (Cedric Williams, D); 11th (Jack Fowler, R Inc.); 12th (Dr. Greg Laurie, D Inc.); 13th (Annie Long, D Inc.)
R+1 and D+2; Total, D+1

Notes:
-Gibson and Proctor both had tough races in Michigan.
-Reeves picked up the Mississippi seat due to Sampson Colmer's retirement.
-Price won in Montana against John Carter, as Scott Lynch had run for Governor and lost to Kurt Carner.
-Jordan Peele was the Congresswoman after Walken became President, as she was his District Director. So she was the Congresswoman from 2004-2008, when Walken ran again, and will be Congresswoman again.
-Fitzpatrick had a very tough race in NJ, and Hamdan in the 8th did not receive a lot of support from Democrats, winning with only 50% of the vote. It was an off year for Democrats in New Jersey, as Republicans had high turnout.

politico.com

Wednesday November 3rd 2010

Vermont Presidential race final result will be announced Thursday

It has announced by the Director of elections in Vermont, that a final result will be announced at 10.00 am (est) Thursday.
It is understood that President-elect Walken has won the states 3 electoral votes by 313 votes. That would give him a final number of 310 electoral votes to President Santos 228.

Thanks for all good comments about the thread and the election coverage last night, I hope you all enjoyed it.
I will post the complete state by state Results for the Presidential election on Thursday once Vermont is declared.

CNN.com

Straus acceptance speech

With 100% of precincts polling, CNN, NBC, and even Fox news are prepared to call democrat Hayden Straus the winner of the Ohio senate seat. This is a huge win for the democrats, that most pollsters, following Walken's win and Governor Simon Halley's reelection, predicted to be impossible. Straus is shown to be the victor by a small margin of just over 100 votes! We're going to go live to his campaign headquarters in Columbus for his acceptance speech.

"Hello everyone! I'm not sure if you've noticed, but it's been a looooooong two days. I'd just like to thank all of my supporters here for staying here for as long as you have and I'd like to inform you all, the wait will not be in vain. Moments ago, the Secretary of State of the great state of Ohio, Mr. Calvin Etten, called me to inform me that we did it! The people of Ohio have spoken, and they couldn't have spoken more clearly. We want change. Real, true, progressive change. And I thank you all for electing me to be your representative of said change! It's been a long year for us, from late November of 2009 when I launched my campaign, and I was trailing in the polls badly, to March of this year when we were tied in the polls for the nomination, to April 20th when I received the nomination of the democratic party for this senate seat. Now, here on November 3rd, I think we can proudly say, 'Yes we did.' We won! In the face of adversary, and faced with a strong opponent, we marched through this campaign and delivered a message to the establishment in Washington that politics as we know it, must come to an end. Now we're going to go to Washington and reform the way things are done, we are going to work across party lines to achieve progress. We will end partisan politics and ensure that the things the voters want, happen. Now I must take this time to thank my opponent, Ms. Caroline McIntosh. I'm told, she has decided that the election results are not to her liking, and is planning a legal challenge. While I disagree with her decision to do so, I thank her for it. Doing so simply ensures that democracy prevails, and in this country, it is not money, not career politicians, not big corporations that decide the outcome of elections, but the will of the American people. I am sure that in the coming days, Carrie will recognize this and accept that the will of the people has come through in our vibrant democracy. I thank her for running a brilliant campaign, and making this state and in turn, this country a better place for it. With that said, let's go! The job is yet to be done! We've only taken the first step into a bigger world, and we have to work together to achieve the change we all need and believe in. Thank you all! God bless Ohio, and god bless the United States of America!"

535.com
Races by State Pt. 4 of 5
New Mexico
Gubernatorial: Rudi Vansen (I Gain)
Congressional: D+2 - Tomas Candellario (D Gain) - William Raven Diego (D Gain) - Kristen Channing (D)

New York
Gubernatorial: Matthew Lewis (D)
Senate: Jay Cruger (R Gain)

North Carolina
Gubernatorial: Andrew Wu (R/Inc.)
Senate: Brett Logan (D Gain)

North Dakota
Senate: Harry Conroy (D Gain)
Congressional: R+1 - Veronica Benjamin (R Gain)

Ohio
Gubernatorial: Simon Halley (R/Inc.)
Senate: Too Close to Call
Congressional: D+1 - Charles Ferris (D Gain) - Michelle Mehmet (R/Inc.) - Alan Tomlinson (R/Inc.) - James Bellefontaine (R/Inc.) - Tony Marino (D Gain) - Jerry Hoff (R Gain) - James Dwight (R/Inc.) - Robert G. Mitchell (R/Inc.) - Josie Bail (D/Inc.) - Justin Willis (D/Inc.) - Marcus LeBrandt (D/Inc.) - Mary Ann Summers (R/Inc.) - Christine O'Leary (D/Inc.) - Chet Logan (R) - Ruth Norton-Stewart (R/Inc.) - Joe Steele (R/Inc.) - Roger Matthews (D) - Ulysses Wilton (R)

Oklahoma
Senate: Robert Roanoke (R/Inc.)
Congressional: EVEN - Jack Wooden (R/Inc.) - Bradford Denning (D/Inc.) - George Walker (R/Inc.) - Soloman Christian Malden (R/Inc.) - Darryl Lukins (R/Inc.)

Oregon
Senate: Robert Greys (D/Inc.)

Pennsylvania
Senate: Robert Royce (R/Inc.)
Congressional: (OOC: KahukuMan10 did the 535 and might want to post these first)

Rhode Island

South Carolina
Senate: Tim McCord (D/Inc.)
Congressional: D+1 - Max Johns (R/Inc.) - Scott Wilson (R) - Nathan Templeton (I/Inc.) - Elle Barclay (D Gain) - Sam McCord (D/Inc.) - Grant Spencer (D/Inc.)

New York:
1st (Joe Calhoun, R Inc.); 2nd (Carson Dellinger, D); 3rd (Ronnie Tucker, D Gain); 4th (Karen Lawson, D Inc.); 5th (James Gatsby, D Inc.); 6th (Keaira Biggs, D Inc.); 7th (Jane Calhoun, D Inc.); 8th (Julia Dreyer, D); 9th (Tim Burrell, D Inc.); 10th (Lionel A. Jackson, D); 11th (Mark Richardson, D Inc.); 12th (David Ramirez, D Inc.); 13th (Donny Larkin, R Inc.); 14th (Nathan Petrelli, D Inc.); 15th (Antonio Williams, D Inc.); 16th (Gabriel Martinez, D Inc.); 17th (Martin Reid, R Inc.); 18th (Steve McKenna, D Inc.); 19th (Del Roberts, R Gain); 20th (Scott van Damm, D Inc.); 21st (Sam Heller, D); 22nd (Gregg Rockwell, D Inc.); 23rd (Patrick Dade, R Inc.); 24th (Jim Cutter, R Gain); 25th (Jack Rivers, D Gain); 26th (Andrew Casey, R Inc.); 27th (Mark Jenks, D Inc); 28th (Melissa Castle, D Inc.); 29th (Frank Whitley, R Inc).
D+2, R+2*; Currently EVEN.

North Carolina:
1st (Sue Borden, D Inc.); 2nd (Terry McCovey, D); 3rd (Nick Jarrett, R Inc.); 4th (Andrea Quinn, D); 5th (Tommy Ray Mitchell, R Gain); 6th (Slippery Phil Eeling, R Inc.); 7th (Greg Vender, D Inc.); 8th (Carl Broome, R Inc.); 9th (David Epps, R Inc.); 10th (John M. Porter, R Inc.); 11th (Barbara Layton, R Inc.); 12th (Aaron Bonds, D Inc.); 13th (Julius Schriebmann, D Inc.).
R+1.

Oregon:
1st (Arthur Carney, D Inc.); 2nd (Curtis Ryan, R Inc.); 3rd (Paul Chang, D Inc.); 4th (Will Bailey, D Inc.); 5th (Caroline Young, R Gain).
R+1.

Rhode Island:
Both Democratic Congressmen (Velasquez and Thiele), reelected.

Last edited:
California
Presidential: Matt Santos (D/Inc)
Governor: Kevin Clarkson (D/Inc)
Senate: Sam Seaborn (D)

1st: Marvin Hallifax (D/Inc)
2nd: Jarrod Graves (R/Inc)
3rd: Linda Brass (R/Inc)
4th: Bradley Gilmore (R/Inc)
5th: Juliane Wake (D/Inc)
6th: Claudia Greenwood (D/Inc)
7th: Kristin LeBrandt (D/Inc)
8th: Jack Caton (D/Inc)
9th: Stephen Savage (D/Inc)
10th: April Fearon (D/Inc)
11th: Annie Cao (R/Inc)
12th: George Simmell (D/Inc)
13th: Kara Sherman (D, taking over for Diane Sherman-D)
14th: Ken Uyeda (D, taking over for Wiley Reed-D)
15th: Floyd Miles (D/Inc)
16th: Ernesto Granado (D/Inc)
17th: Sam Howard (D/Inc)
18th: Ronald Radovich (R, defeated Veronica Carmalita-D)
19th: Alan Ross (R/Inc)
20th: Will Durham (R, takes over for Andrew Pascal-D, and defeated Jason Callison)
21st: Caitlin Fern (R/Inc)
22nd: Winchester Roberts (R/Inc)
23rd: Harry Wade (D/Inc)
24th: Samir Hansia (R/Inc)
25th: Kristin Vazquez (R/Inc)
26th: Daryl Hamilton (R/Inc)
27th: Randy Celeste (PA, defeated Marie Noelle Castro-D, Celeste vows to caucs with the Dems)
28th: Guillermo Augusto (D/Inc)
29th: Eve Howard (D/Inc)
30th: Brody Lambert (D, taking over for Justin Harrison-D)
31st: Luis De Herrera (D/Inc)
32nd: Juan Vincente (D, taking over for Linda Wang-D)
33rd: Russell Lewsi (D/Inc)
34th: Megan MeKenna (D/Inc)
35th: Tavon Glass (D/Inc)
36th: Marth Blaine (D/Inc)
37th: Kylie Sambrose (D, taking over for Ronny Reynolds-D)
38th: Kellen Cahill (D/Inc)
39th: Erin Baker (D/Inc)
40th: Riley Church (R/Inc)
41st: Johnston Meek (R/Inc)
42nd: Aaron Holmes (R/Inc)
43rd: Landon Carmen (D/Inc)
44th: Mark Ojai (D, defeated Sarah Alberson-R)
45th: Alec Perrin (D, defeated Mary Eaton-R)
46th: Reed Halvin (R/Inc)
47th: Brendan Harper (D, defeated Waylon Johns-R)
48th: Robert McCallister (R/Inc)
49th: Alton Moore (R/Inc)
50th: Peter Herger (R/Inc)
51st: Emma Burgoon (D/Inc)
52nd: Joe Reese (R/Inc)
53rd: Ellen Bloomberg (D/Inc)

Final Tally: Democrats+2

535.com
Races by State Pt. 5 of 5
South Dakota
Gubernatorial: Tim Masters (R)
Senate: Robin Fulton (R/Inc.)
Congressional: EVEN - Scott BigHorse (D/Inc.)

Tennessee
Gubernatorial: Shane Denham (R Gain)
Congressional: R+1 - Alan Spicer (R/Inc.) - Brett Allen (R/Inc.) - Percy Barnett (R/Inc.) - Walt Peterson (R Gain) - Jeremy Vector (D/Inc.) - John Kimball (D/Inc.) - Roy Norton (R/Inc.) - Carolyn Reed (D/Inc.) - Isaac Marshall (D)

Texas
Congressional: D+2 - Charles Miner (R/Inc.) - Louis Pierot (D Gain) - Michelle Rodriguez (R/Inc.) - John Hancock (R/Inc.) - Rep Omundson (R/Inc.) - Patrick Quinton (R/Inc.) - Mark Cumberland (R/Inc.) - Caroline Chenowith (D Gain) - Patsy Burns (D/Inc.) - Pedro Gonzalez (D Gain) - Ronald Gennings (R/Inc.) - John Peters (R/Inc.) - Gary Oliver (R/Inc.) - Ron Paul (R/Inc.) - Maria Consuelo (D/Inc.) - Oscar Huerra (D/Inc.) - John Collington (R Gain) - Ana Flores (D/Inc.) - John Connally (R/Inc.) - Jose Carrera (R Gain) - Benedicto Romero (R/Inc.) - Peter Lien (R/Inc.) - Luis Lamberto (R Gain) - Merchant Tanner (R/Inc.) - William Mulder (D/Inc.) - Uriah Rathburn (R/Inc.) - Charlie Coronado (D Gain) - Francis Suarez (D/Inc.) - Tim Fields (D/Inc.) - Eddie Cullen (D/Inc.) - Charles Finn (R/Inc.) - Margot Knight (D Gain)

Utah
Senate: Marc Elderton (R Gain)
Congressional: EVEN - Ford Brimgardener (R/Inc.) - Chris Hughes (R) - Karl Beck (R/Inc.)

Vermont
Presidential: Too Close to Call
Senate: Matt Skinner (R)
Congressional: D+1 - Alexis Larroquette (D Gain)

Virginia
Congressional: D+4 - John Marks (R/Inc.) - Marcus Donovan (D Gain) - Gina Pratt (D/Inc.) - Kenneth Dent (D Gain) - Thomas Monroe (D Gain) - Allan Goodwell (R/Inc.) - Kyle Wilson (R/Inc.) - Allison Baynes (D/Inc.) - Noah Gellman (D/Inc.) - Kurt Cameron (R/Inc.) - Mark Andrews (D Gain)

Washington
Senate: Andrew Howard (D)
Congressional: (OOC: KahukuMan10 did the 535 and might want to post these first)

West Virginia
Congressional: EVEN - Mac Walters (R Gain) - Pat Smigel (D Gain) - Charles Hacker (D/Inc.)

Wisconsin
Senate: Sean Quatermain (R/Inc.)
Congressional: (OOC: Umm... I'll get back to you on this one.)

Wyoming
Congressional: R+1 - Abel Sheen (R Gain)

Last edited:
Virginia
Congressional: (OOC: I'm fairly certain Gellman won, right Westbrook?)

Yes, he won. Though that situation (The person who brings you a legislative majority but loses their own seat?) would be incredible. I say this completely off of the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure that it has never happened before in real life.

politico.com
Two Senate Races too close to call?

The current count for the incoming Senate is 57 Republicans to 42 Democrats (with 1 Progressive Alliance caucusing with the Democrats). A slight gain for the Republicans, but several close races and switched seats on both sides. A year ago, no one expected Colorado, North Dakota, Connecticut, Minnesota, West Virginia, or Ohio to be where they are now.

Speaking of Ohio and West Virginia, those two races are stil too close to call, despite candidates telling you otherwise. In West Virginia, Democratic candidate Brett Harrison has pulled his concession with news that some southern counties have underreported the vote. Republican candidate and presumptive Senator-elect Charles Oakley, to his credit, has stated that he won't take office if any wrongdoing is involved by overzealous Republicans (and urged Harrison to promise that as well).

In Ohio, the race is within 120 votes, the closest in Ohio history, prompting an automatic recount once the results are certified in the next couple weeks. Although Democratic candidate Hayden Straus has already given his acceptance speech, he will likely not be certified as Senator until after the recount is finished, which hopefully will be finished before January 3rd. Otherwise, Ohio will go to the Senate sans one Senator for awhile.

Senate Thus Far.png

Senate Thus Far.png

All hail President Walken :D

Great job guys, how far are people planning on taking this now that the election is over?

Mark has said that he wants to go through the British Elections, which take place in June, so it's not like everything is just going to stop tomorrow. :D

This means we get the first 100 days of either Walken or Santos, the new Congress, Cabinet, etc. So most of the storylines will be resolved.

There have been discussions among some people of possibly continuing this idea into the midterms of 2012 even, though on a different thread. So, plenty of options!

Quote from earlier.

535.com
Races by State Pt. 5 of 5
South Dakota
Gubernatorial: Tim Masters (R)
Senate: Robin Fulton (R/Inc.)
Congressional: Scott BigHorse (D/Inc.)

Tennessee
Gubernatorial: Shane Denham (R Gain)
Congressional: (OOC: Westbrook 49 did the 535 and bla bla bla)

Texas
Congressional: D+2 - Charles Miner (R/Inc.) - Louis Pierot (D Gain) - Michelle Rodriguez (R/Inc.) - John Hancock (R/Inc.) - Rep Omundson (R/Inc.) - Patrick Quinton (R/Inc.) - Mark Cumberland (R/Inc.) - Caroline Chenowith (D Gain) - Patsy Burns (D/Inc.) - Pedro Gonzalez (D Gain) - Ronald Gennings (R/Inc.) - John Peters (R/Inc.) - Gary Oliver (R/Inc.) - Ron Paul (R/Inc.) - Maria Consuelo (D/Inc.) - Oscar Huerra (D/Inc.) - John Collington (R Gain) - Ana Flores (D/Inc.) - John Connally (R/Inc.) - Jose Carrera (R Gain) - Benedicto Romero (R/Inc.) - Peter Lien (R/Inc.) - Luis Lamberto (R Gain) - Merchant Tanner (R/Inc.) - William Mulder (D/Inc.) - Uriah Rathburn (R/Inc.) - Charlie Coronado (D Gain) - Francis Suarez (D/Inc.) - Tim Fields (D/Inc.) - Eddie Cullen (D/Inc.) - Charles Finn (R/Inc.) - Margot Knight (D Gain)

Utah
Senate: Marc Elderton (R Gain)
Congressional: (OOC: Westbrook 49 knows the drill)

Vermont
Presidential: Too Close to Call
Senate: Matt Skinner (R)
Congressional: D+1 - Alexis Larroquette (D Gain)

Virginia
Congressional: (OOC: I'm fairly certain Gellman won, right Westbrook?)

Washington
Senate: Andrew Howard (D)

West Virginia
Congressional: EVEN - Mac Walters (R Gain) - Pat Smigel (D Gain) - Charles Hacker (D/Inc.)

Wisconsin
Senate: Sean Quatermain (R/Inc.)
Congressional: (OOC: Umm... I'll get back to you on this one.)

Wyoming
Congressional: R+1 - Abel Sheen (R Gain)

Tennessee:
1st (Alan Spicer, R Inc.); 2nd (Br. Brett Allen, R Inc.); 3rd (Percy Barnett, R Inc.); 4th (Walt Peterson, R Gain); 5th (Jeremy Vector, D Inc.); 6th (John Kimball, D Inc.); 7th (Roy Norton, R Inc.); 8th (Carolyn Reed, D Inc.); 9th (Isaac Marshall, D).
R+1

Utah:
1st (Ford Brimgardener, R Inc.); 2nd (Chris Hughes, R); 3rd (Karl Beck, R Inc.)

Virginia:
1st (John Marks, R Inc.); 2nd (RADM Marcus Donovan, D Gain); 3rd (Gina Pratt, D Inc.); 4th (Kenneth Dent, D Gain); 5th (Thomas Monroe, D Gain); 6th (Allan Goodwell, R Inc.); 7th (Kyle Wilson, R Inc.); 8th (Allison Baynes, D Inc.); 9th (Noah Gellman, D Inc.); 10th (Kurt Cameron, R Inc.); 11th (Mark Andrews, D Gain).
D+4

Wisconsin: ?????????

Notes
-Gellman had a close race in Virginia, but still managed to win out.
-RADM stands for Rear Admiral, Donovan's rank in the Navy.

twp_logo_375.gif

Wow!
48 hours (And a few hours of sleep later), I'm ready to run down the night. There were quite a few big moments, stories, and early parallels that I noticed.

-First and foremost, GlenAllen Walken was elected President. This is big for a couple of reasons, first and foremost because the Republicans have the White House back after 12 years of Democratic control. How will again-President Walken deal with the world, as many of them have a view of him as a gun-toting redneck, earned from his 3 days in the White House and his rhetoric on the campaign trail. And how will Walken work with a Democratic majority in the House, as well as a moderate Republican in charge of the Senate?

-Vice President Liz Clark. The words "Wow!" come to mind. Women have flocked to Clark, and privately, some prominent female Democrats have expressed concern that Clark could be a transformational figure, and bring women into the Republican fold like never before, simply because of her mere presence. This can already be seen, as women voted for Republicans in numbers unheard of, but the question now becomes, can it last?

-The Matt Santos story has yet to be written, but when it does, tonight will play a big part. The downfall of the Santos Administration is intriguing-How in 4 short years does someone go from transformational figure to failure? A continuation of one of the most successful Presidencies in history to a downtrodden man? The escalation in Kazakhstan certainly didn't help, and the downturn in the economy certainly didn't either. But what doomed Matt Santos was the way he responded to them-Badly, if at all. It's up to history to see how he will be judged, though I anticipate that he will have a long, prosperous post-Presidential career.

-The future of the Democratic Party is suddenly at stake, as the moderates and liberals have begun positioning themselves for control. While this so-called "civil war" is in its infancy, it seems inevitable now. And without a single uniting figure for the party to rally around, it seems like no one could stop this. Yet to be seen!

-Democrats do have some good news: They still have control of the House of Representatives! This means that Walken will have to negotiate on his tax plans in order to pass them, and there will probably be at least one or two high-profile investigations of his Administration and it's policies. More to the point, Carol Gelsey has had about six months of high-profile, on the job training, and unlike Mark Sellner, she has a unified caucus behind her. Noah Gellman, the leader of the Blue Dogs, will receive a high-ranking position, meaning Gelsey has her right-flank and center sufficiently mollified, and Mark Richardson will bring the left around. More than that, Gelsey seems like a much better strategist/tactician, communicator and overall better leader than Mark Sellner, and has the twisted benefit of losing the White House, making her the overall leader of the Democrats in Washington. This means it's unlikely that there's anybody who will challenge her for the leadership of the party, or try to cut a deal around her.

-Robert Royce, however, has a mixed bag to deal with. He apparently has gained a pair of Senate seats, giving him a stronger majority. But with that comes the fact that he was shown as vulnerable in his election, meaning there could be another, more conservative candidate, like Seth Randall of Florida, who could challenge him for his leadership position. On the plus side, Republican control of the Senate means that President Walken will be able to push through his nominees, especially judges and, in the event an opening occurs, a Supreme Court Justice, with near-impunity.

-Jim Marino had maybe the best speech of the night. His concession was....interesting, to say the least! Marino basically bashed the media and the whole political process. Honestly, I never thought he had it in him to be that passionate. Makes me wish more people had voted for the guy now.

-Democrats got a mixed bag in the Governor's races. Strangely, they gained out West, a surprising occurrence, picking up the State Houses in Nevada and Montana, while holding onto California (By a huge margin) and Oregon. In probably one of the bigger shocks of the election cycle, Mike Lawson managed to win reelection in Arizona, which would have seemed like a pipe dream a year ago. Democrats also held onto the State Houses of Massachusetts (Obviously), Rhode Island and New York, though Matthew Lewis had a closer contest than he would prefer.
However, Republicans made major gains across the nation as well. They picked up Georgia, Tennessee, Iowa, Colorado and Michigan, and after a long recount, Connecticut. They also held onto the Governorships of North Carolina and Ohio, though Simon Halley and Andrew Wu are probably still sweating at how close it could have been. So it's an uneven tie.

-The return of Rudi Vansen to power is shocking. Once, it looked like he would be indicted, and after he fled the country, his guilt was assured-After all, innocent men don't run, right? And they especially don't resign their offices. But Vansen was cleared of all charges, and announced that he would run for his old office-But as an Independent. Though the race was close to the very end, Vansen appeared to be cleared when the lead federal prosecutor, John Saffold, was arrested for tampering with a federal investigation, fraud, obstruction of justice and several other crimes, and Vansen was completely exonerated. Now an Independent Governor, Vansen will have to deal with a completely Democratic legislature, but will presumably retain much of his Republican character. It's unknown of what the future holds for the once and again Governor.

-Democrats got a bounce into the State Legislatures across the nation. They picked up the State House of Representatives in New Mexico and Louisiana, as well as the Senate in Michigan, Nevada and Pennsylvania. Republicans are not without options, however.

-The Youth in Revolt did make it's presence known last night, electing Sam Seaborn and Andrew Howard to the Senate in California and Washington, as well as getting Alexis Larroquette a House seat in Vermont. Youth turnout, or voters 18-25, was at it's highest amount since 1960, and can be attributed to the general surge of support enjoyed by Democrats nationally. However, the strength and longevity of the movement is still in question, as is it's staying power on the national stage.

-A couple of interesting ballot notes-California passed Proposition 19 last night, allowing marijuana to be legal in homes and businesses established for those purposes, as well as taxing it. Opponents have immediately attacked the law, and are intending to continue to crusade against the law. The possession of marijuana is still illegal under the Federal Substances Act, but it is unknown how the new Walken Administration will deal with this issue.

Well, that's a very brief overview, but it is what I've got for the moment. I'm going to bed for real, and will be back with more coverage later on. Thanks for reading me over the past few months!

Last edited:
nytimes.com

Leadership battle underway

By Anthony Van Stazi

So with Glen Allan Walken now our President-elect, where do we go next? Leadership battles of course!!! The Republicans should have an easier time picking out their new leaders, as Walken will be leaning on them to be quick and decisive so as to show party unity. While the democrats will be in the early phases of what many political pundits are calling 'the great democratic civil war.' I wrote a two piece article in mid-September about the likely shape of the new leadership in both parties, but now with the election over, I'll go into more detail.

The Republicans got lucky when they nominated the conservative-leaning moderate Glen Walken to be their nominee. And even more lucky when he picked moderate-leaning conservative Liz Clark as his VP candidate. This has kept both wings of the party at bay and willing to cooperate under the Walken/Clark banner. He seems to be content with Jim Arkin running the show in the house, but has to be a little bit annoyed that they lost so many seats. H seems inclined to push Arkin to give the NRCC spot to Riley Chirch. In return, Arkin will get to put his protégés into spots of power. Notably Bradley Gilmore and Kyle Wilson, who have co-written a book, titled "Young Guns" depicting the young future of the GOP. Gilmore seems likely to become Whip, with Wilson aiming at the Caucus Chair position. Walken seems content, as does the moderate wing of the party with Robert Mitchell and Charles Widen assumed to be allowing the move.

In the Senate, Robert Royce's hold on his caucus will be challenged after his closer-than-expected senate race against Congressman Stephen Collins. Senator Seth Randall has made clear his intentions to challenge Royce, calling him a RINO (Republican In Name Only) for his pro-choice views and positions on tax cuts. He'd been quietly whipping votes during the campaign while Royce fought for his career. Now it'll be a showdown between the two wings of the party. My personal belief is that Royce will win, albeit with a divided caucus. And Walken will probably look to support the moderates in the senate while the conservatives dominate the house.

And then we turn to the democrats... Who are already setting up positions on the battleground that their party will be fighting on. As odd as it sounds though, it won't be in the house. The party has united around Carol Gelsey as its leader in Washington who is very liberal, but willing to work with the other side in the name of progress. Noah Gellman after his successful work at the DCCC will likely assume the Whip spot, with Mark Richardson due to take over as Majority Leader from Drake Headley. Richardson representing the more liberal wing of the party, and next in line should Gelsey fail, with Gellman further down the chain, but waiting in the wings. No, the house is not where this fight will take place, the senate is the battleground.

George Montgomery, fresh off of his senate victory over Jim Hohner Jr. has come out in full force as the voice of liberalism to take command of the senate to combat the conservative GOP. He's very liberal, but much like Gelsey, is willing to work across party lines to get things done. He had quietly been whipping votes during the election, and due to his liberal positions, is likely to get the endorsement of retiring minority leader Tom Grissom. His main rival will be New Mexico senator, Llyod Russell. Russell is a guy that a lot of people like, but he's fierce. Very fierce. He's representing the moderate wing, and has long coveted the number one spot. But it isn't clear if he'll make it there. He's got to figure out a way to overcome Grissom's impending endorsement of Montgomery, or convince him to stay out of Senate affairs now that he's leaving. Both candidates are strong and viable, but if the caucus is unable to choose between these two, the likely compromise candidate will be Senator Arthur Breech of Hawaii. He is a savvy politician, but is seen as indecisive and unlikely to move the party forward. Currently, this battle is as clear as mud, and I can't even make a valid prediction. But one thing is clear for the democrats, every pollster and political analyst will tell you this, Andrew Thorn will be the Chairman of the DSCC in the 112th Congress. If either wing comes out against him, he'll use his newfound support from Andrew Howard, David Kuhio, Sam Seaborn and other incoming senators he pushed along to push it to the other side. He's got his dominos lined up for 2012 already, with his young protege Jackson Kennedy waiting to leap into the senate.

Whoever ends up leading the democrats in the senate, they will be burdened with the loss of one seat, and the burning desire to takeover the upper house of congress. Montgomery is planning on using the force of the Youth in Revolt to help accomplish that, and has made connections with several of their leaders, while Russell isn't exactly popular with the young liberals. So he'll need to figure out a different strategy that can still produce the same results. It's safe to say that the coming weeks will be interesting to watch as the struggle for power in the democratic party will flare up.

politico.com
Elections were Great... but Who won?
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010

Obviously, if you're reading this, you know that the White House will go Republican for the first time in 12 years and that the Senate maintains a majority in the Senate with the Democrats increasing their House majority. But was the 2010 election a Republican revolution, a Democratic demand, or a centrist siesta? The answer, is harder than it looks.

Democratic Party
California_Governor_Arnold_7530.jpg

Congressman Edward McBain (D-MN) stating "We have pulverized the Republicans," referring to the increased majority in the House of Representatives.

Obviously the Democrats lost the White House for the first time in 12 years. That and the fact that Santos is the first presidential candidate to lose his home state since 1972 (and first incumbent since 1932, and first Democratic incumbent since 1888). There's also the case that quite a few expected blue Senate seats shifted over (we now have a totally red Minnesota and West Virginia for the first time). These facts make it seem like a referendum against Santos and the Democrats has just occurred.

But that's not really the case. Rural states like Virginia, South Carolina, and Montana continue their shift towards the Democratic Party. New groups have grown within the party. Former President Bartlet is more popular now than he ever was as President (except for, that one time). The gains in the House, the defeats of long-term popular Republican politicians like Jack Moseley and Dan Carrington, points to a growing Democratic majority that could almost surely take over *everything* in two and four years time.

Republican Party
resized_john_goodman_weight_loss_celebrities_news.jpg

President-elect Glen Allen Walken is happy (not in this photo, though) about the Republican takeover of the White House and slight increase in the Senate.

We can't stress the point that Walken won. And with over 300 electoral votes, that's quite impressive. It's not quite Lassiter-worthy, and the popular vote is actually fairly close, but you can ask Arnold Vinick to see if elections are won on such things as the "popular vote."

But the entire executive branch is Republican now, or will be in two and half months. The Senate has a slightly wider control over the Senate and the House isn't a total runaway (although it might get there in two or more years). The Judiciary is going to get bombarded with pro-Republican jurists, since this is the first time in... ever? (actually, since the 1980s and the days of Reagan and Furman).

A couple days ago we had a Democratic Executive, Judiciary, and half the Legislature. Today (or in a couple months at least), we have a Republican Executive, Judiciary, and half the Legislature. Seem like a Republican win from that angle. At least for a couple years.

Moderates on Both Sides
nothing-but-the-truth1.jpg

Secretary of State Arnold Vinick alongside Indiana Governor Stephen Kendrick and Kendrick's wife Emma

But that's all over-categorization. 40%, or more, of Americans are Independent, and we just had a Presidential race where, early on, an Independent and then a third-party candidate were heavy contenders. Walken went moderate for the '10 election, surprising considering he was one of the more conservative candidates in '06. Vinick nearly won the election in '06 taking a purely centric-stance on almost all issues (and leftist on some). Santos went towards the middle too, with less results. Royce, the long-term moderate, controls the Senate. Up until June, a Blue Dog was our Speaker.

Despite what current youth groups may want, centrists, moderates, and independents are always growing in America, and the two parties seem to be getting rid of the extremists on both sides.

But that could just be this election cycle.

Any hints for the Walken cabinet?

Could we have, also, a review state by state of all the states, showing the picture of each governor and senator (incumbents and elects)? Just for the uber awesomeness of seing a grandfather and a grandson seating in Alabama, and the view of Senator Harrison Ford.

Any hints for the Walken cabinet?

Could we have, also, a review state by state of all the states, showing the picture of each governor and senator (incumbents and elects)? Just for the uber awesomeness of seing a grandfather and a grandson seating in Alabama, and the view of Senator Harrison Ford.

All I can say is that work on the cabinet is well underway.....

Watch this space!!

The Walken cabinet stuff is surely coming soon.

No pictures of the Senators, yet, but here's a cast list of some of the Freshman Senators from what's been established. You can look up the pictures if you want:
  • Senator-elect Eric Swenson of Florida - Obba Babatunde
  • Senator-elect David Kuhio of Hawaii - Cliff Curtis
  • Senator-elect Jack Hunter of Minnesota - John Cusack
  • Senator-elect* Hayden Straus of Ohio - Harrison Ford
  • Senator-elect Matt Skinner of Vermont - Charley Lang
  • Senator-elect Andrew Howard of Washington - Matt Lanter
  • Senator-elect Sam Seaborn of California - Rob Lowe
  • Senator-elect Harry Conroy of North Dakota - Bob Morrissey
  • Senator-elect Jay Cruger of New York - Joe Morton
  • Senator-elect* Charles Oakley of West Virginia - John Schneider
  • Senator-elect Damon Matteo of Indiana - Jack Stehlin
  • Senator-elect Camille Aubry of Colorado - Melissa Theuriau
  • Senator-elect Max Lobell III of Georgia - Skeet Ulrich
* = Believed to have won the election, but not yet certified.

Speaking of Senators:

Senate2010Wiki.png

Senate2010Wiki.png

Status
Not open for further replies.