Lands of Red and Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good update. Just a question : will the race for Aururia be between England and the Netherlands solely or will we see Spain, Portugal or France joining the party?

I wouldn't be surprised if Australia ITTL ends up something like India during the 1750s-60s - lots of countries vying for influence, with some doing much better (let's say England and the Netherlands for now), with others with small trading posts scattered about (say France and Portugal for now), with other powers in between (say Spain for now).

The Dutch have better supply lines, being closer to Batavia, though the rest all have bases either in India or in other places nearby (like the Spanish Philippines).

The real question is "who else will join the party". Might we see Denmark-Norway, uber-Sweden or even other minor European countries like Sicily thrown into the mix? Don't forget that Courland, Brandenburg and even the Knights of St. John had colonies IOTL for a bit. ;)

I really need to get back to this TL. It was so different and great:D Thanks for doing all the work you do Jared, this and DoD are inspiring work.

Golly.

I take it you are planning to explain how the English "sacrifice" played out soon?

Do you mean whether Baffin really was guilty? If so, I'd intended for this to be ambiguous: pick what you think someone like Baffin would really have done, in these circumstances.

More generally, this post was meant to wrap up the Baffin-Daluming contact thread. More will be heard of Daluming, of course, but in the broader context of the Proxy Wars, which will be covered in a few posts' time.

Just finished reading all the thread. Took me a week, but who cares. Awesome timeline.

Merci.

Very good update. Just a question : will the race for Aururia be between England and the Netherlands solely or will we see Spain, Portugal or France joining the party?

England and the Netherlands are the leading powers in the race for Aururia, but other powers may get up to the starting gate. The "Spanish" (really mostly Portuguese) raid on the Dutch outpost in *Western Australia has already been depicted. France has at least the potential to do the same. Lesser powers such as Denmark or Sweden are remote possibilities too.

A war of proxies is on its way.
Might be a good way of arming the islanders if played correctly.

Coincidentally, the most recent post I've worked on (which will probably become post #67) is a series of excerpts from an ATL book called "The Proxy Wars: Colonialism and Conflict in Aururia".

The Spanish have already raided that Dutch outpost in Atjuntja territory, so it seems to me they could at least be a possible contender...

They could, although they're definitely a lesser power in this area than the Dutch or even the English. Of course, the struggle between the Dutch and English may well open up opportunities for other powers.

Will there be an analogue of the Amboina Mssacre here?

Not as such. The massacre as we know it was butterflied away. The struggle between the two powers was temporarily put on hold during the Aururian plagues and their aftermath, but nothing had been solved, and eventually it turned into undeclared war.

I wouldn't be surprised if Australia ITTL ends up something like India during the 1750s-60s - lots of countries vying for influence, with some doing much better (let's say England and the Netherlands for now), with others with small trading posts scattered about (say France and Portugal for now), with other powers in between (say Spain for now).

This is certainly a possibility. Of course, the inevitable chaos and population collapse caused by Old World diseases may lead to powers (or even private operators) trying to take a more active hand in terms of dominance.

There's also the possibility that some native powers, if they can survive the disease onslaught, may join the colonial/trading race themselves.

The Dutch have better supply lines, being closer to Batavia, though the rest all have bases either in India or in other places nearby (like the Spanish Philippines).

The Dutch have the head start in terms of organisation, knowledge, and established political influence. Of course, sometimes being out in front just makes you a target.

The real question is "who else will join the party". Might we see Denmark-Norway, uber-Sweden or even other minor European countries like Sicily thrown into the mix? Don't forget that Courland, Brandenburg and even the Knights of St. John had colonies IOTL for a bit. ;)

Denmark-Norway and Greater Sweden have some potential. They had East India Companies in OTL, after all.

However, it's also worth mentioning that sailing to Australia is a very, very long voyage. Setting up a viable colony there is much harder than picking a random island in the West Indies and planting the flag. So the minor powers may find it hard to get that far...

I really need to get back to this TL. It was so different and great:D Thanks for doing all the work you do Jared, this and DoD are inspiring work.

Glad you like it.

A very haunting update. I look forward to the repercussions from the English.

Begun, the Proxy Wars have...

Given the head start that the Dutch have in the area (proximity in the East Indies and all that) do you think it's possible that we could see some European nations forming an alliance to knock them down a peg?

Golly.

I take it you are planning to explain how the English "sacrifice" played out soon?

Do you mean whether Baffin really was guilty? If so, I'd intended for this to be ambiguous: pick what you think someone like Baffin would really have done, in these circumstances....

I tend to believe Baffin. Look at the moral paradox from the English point of view--the deal is, either two of them are slaughtered like lambs, or two of them volunteer to fight each other and the one that wins has a chance of defeating the native champion and surviving. If they don't offer two champions to fight, the natives will pick two of them at random.

I frankly thought something more spectacular and movie-ish would happen here, with the English making a break for it and more than two of them falling; simply by stalling long enough for the two volunteers to come forward, he was a lot cooler-headed than people like say Magellan. (It's this cool-headedness that is held against him back in England of course). It doesn't seem implausible to me that in the course of arguing about it two would agree to be the duelists. And then one deliberately sacrifices himself to give the other a chance.

The catch is of course that one Englishman certainly must die, and to keep it down to one, at the hands of another. It's nasty. But I don't think it's implausible they'd choose themselves rather than Baffin having to have chosen them and then the rest of the survivors covering for him to the end.

But damn, I suppose that might have happened too; the others know they owe their lives to Baffin's hard choice and thus they share in the guilt of it, so maybe. But I think volunteers might be forthcoming; say the two had some matter of conflict between them and were glad of a chance of settling it with a duel, given this excuse.

No matter what it's brutal and in the short run, English and probably other Europeans will avoid the place--until they can land in overwhelming force. They probably won't cannonade Glazkul until they have the men to follow through by destroying the town as well; given the distances and the distraction of the Proxy Wars they won't get around to it for a while. By then the process of making local alliances and learning more about local political conditions might lead someone to make an alliance with Daluming, "Mexican" customs be damned. Glazkul might then get shelled anyway. Or it might come through the wars undamaged, if the Daluming are very clever whom they ally with.

Petike

Kicked
Bradford might serve as a saint patron for future Anglican missionary campaigns.

Keep it up, Jared!:)

Erm, sorrry to rain on your parade, but Anglicanism doesn't officially recognize any saints. (Well, OK, the British crown still revers some Catholic saints that are patrons of the united British realm, but that's purely out of tradition and because of heraldry.)

Erm, sorrry to rain on your parade, but Anglicanism doesn't officially recognize any saints. (Well, OK, the British crown still revers some Catholic saints that are patrons of the united British realm, but that's purely out of tradition and because of heraldry.)

Really? That's not the impression I get. But I have to admit I don't know one way or the other.

I think you might be mixing the Anglicans up with other Protestant traditions; this sort of hard-headed mentality sounds more Calvinist to me. But then again maybe they did adopt it formally, compelled by the sheer reason of it--we have no way of peeking at Heaven's telephone book, do we?

Petike

Kicked
Really? That's not the impression I get. But I have to admit I don't know one way or the other.

I think you might be mixing the Anglicans up with other Protestant traditions; this sort of hard-headed mentality sounds more Calvinist to me. But then again maybe they did adopt it formally, compelled by the sheer reason of it--we have no way of peeking at Heaven's telephone book, do we?

Hey, I admit that Anglicanism is more open to the veneration of saints than continental Protestant churches, but I've never heard of it having it's own set of saints or upholding the cult of any saints beyond the "national" ones that are tied to the monarchy's identity.

There's only been one new Anglican saint after the reformation, IIRC, that being Charles the Martyr (better known as King Charles the First). Since he died of one of the Aururian plagues TTL, that's not going to happen here.

As for veneration of saints in general, most churches will do something for the patronal festival (i.e. the feast day of the saint who the church is dedicated to).

The Sandman

Banned
The minor powers do have one major advantage in Aururia, actually: being minor powers, they're far less able to simply take what they want from the locals. Aururian politics is sophisticated enough that they can probably grasp the implications of tying themselves to a European patron that of necessity has to operate as more of an equal partner.

Also, the Maori are likely to get involved in the general collapse of the existing Aururian nations; dealing with the problem of too many warriors who want land and not enough land to give them by sending them out to conquer foreigners is a time-honored human tradition, after all.

Now, here's a thought regarding the distance between Aururia and Europe: is the clipper route usable in the mid-1600s, or is shipbuilding/seafaring technology just not up to that extended of a period completely away from land yet?

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
It seems that the West in this TL seems to be on a path towards thinking Daluming= Aztecs. How far are they going to take this and what effects will this have on archeology and anthropology? Will these two fields be set back by a lot of false correlations and erroneous conclusions ?

Also, the Maori are likely to get involved in the general collapse of the existing Aururian nations; dealing with the problem of too many warriors who want land and not enough land to give them by sending them out to conquer foreigners is a time-honored human tradition, after all.

Now this I can definitely see happening. IOTL, the Maori chartered European ships to sail to the Chatham islands and attack and enslave the people there. ITTL, Europeans would definitely be interested in hiring mercenaries for wars in Aururia. It would be cheaper than shipping them from Europe, and having a class of foreign warriors could be useful in many ways. The local Aururians would see them as invaders, so they would have much less incentive to revolt against their European who hired them than local Aururian soldiers, and would be dependent on maintaining their master's empires for their own safety. It's brilliantly Machiavellian.

I've been a lurker for many years so haven't had the opportunity to say this but I consider The Lands of Red and Gold the finest timeline this board has to offer. It is truly a remarkable and exceptional piece of work.

Given the head start that the Dutch have in the area (proximity in the East Indies and all that) do you think it's possible that we could see some European nations forming an alliance to knock them down a peg?

An Anglo-Dutch War or three is of course inevitable. There is likely to be (as in OTL) a de facto or even de jure Anglo-Spanish non-aggression pact so that they can deal with the real enemy. Portugal is iffier... they will probably try to stay neutral to both camps, and hold onto what they currently hold.

France, now...

I frankly thought something more spectacular and movie-ish would happen here, with the English making a break for it and more than two of them falling; simply by stalling long enough for the two volunteers to come forward, he was a lot cooler-headed than people like say Magellan. (It's this cool-headedness that is held against him back in England of course).

I did consider something along the lines of a would-be breakout, but decided against it. Mostly because Baffin is not a hot-head (as history showed). Also partly because the Bungudjimay had already learned their lessons from the Nangu before them - who had made a run for it - and guarded the English so closely that they did not believe they had any hope of escape.

No matter what it's brutal and in the short run, English and probably other Europeans will avoid the place--until they can land in overwhelming force. They probably won't cannonade Glazkul until they have the men to follow through by destroying the town as well; given the distances and the distraction of the Proxy Wars they won't get around to it for a while.

The noteworthy thing about Daluming is that it's the biggest sources of spices in Aururia. Revenge may or not be a motivation for the English to come back, but profit is. There will be a strong pull for the English or other Europeans to get involved in some form.

By then the process of making local alliances and learning more about local political conditions might lead someone to make an alliance with Daluming, "Mexican" customs be damned. Glazkul might then get shelled anyway. Or it might come through the wars undamaged, if the Daluming are very clever whom they ally with.

There's certainly that point; there's some mighty profitable spices in Daluming. Euro powers may be able to swallow all sorts of weird customs in exchange for the hugh profits of spices. Although that may make Glazkul a target for rival Euro powers, too; swings and roundabouts, really.

Bradford might serve as a saint patron for future Anglican missionary campaigns.

Hey, I admit that Anglicanism is more open to the veneration of saints than continental Protestant churches, but I've never heard of it having it's own set of saints or upholding the cult of any saints beyond the "national" ones that are tied to the monarchy's identity.

There's only been one new Anglican saint after the reformation, IIRC, that being Charles the Martyr (better known as King Charles the First). Since he died of one of the Aururian plagues TTL, that's not going to happen here.

Anglicanism has proclaimed several new saints (heroes) since the Reformation. To pick one, James Hannington is an Anglican saint who was martyred in Uganda in the late nineteenth century. Janani Luwum is another martyr (also from Uganda). William Temple, Archbishop of Canterbury during WW2, also has a day venerated as part of the C of E calendar.

As far as I know, Anglican saints aren't revered in the same way as in Catholicism (though not being of either faith, I'm not sure). But Anglicanism still has saints of a kind.

As for veneration of saints in general, most churches will do something for the patronal festival (i.e. the feast day of the saint who the church is dedicated to).

I figured that the day of Bradford's martyrdom (22 August) would be adopted as a Lesser Festival in Anglicanism. I don't know whether he would qualify as a patron saint of anything, but he will be remembered.

The minor powers do have one major advantage in Aururia, actually: being minor powers, they're far less able to simply take what they want from the locals. Aururian politics is sophisticated enough that they can probably grasp the implications of tying themselves to a European patron that of necessity has to operate as more of an equal partner.

That is a significant opportunity, if the minor powers can project power that far, and if they are astute enough in their negotiations.

Still, I wasn't kidding about Australia being a long way away. It is simply not possible for a European power to send ships directly to Australia without re-supplying somewhere along the way. The entire crew will be dead of scurvy long before then. Even as late as 1788, the first Euro settlement voyage to Australia took nine months to get there and stopped at 3 ports along the way.

So a minor Euro power that gets involved in Aururia will need secure re-suply points along the way. Perfectly possible if the minor power remains at peace with the major players, but a death blow if there's war.

The plagues will be hitting the Maori just about as hard as the main continent. Trade links between Aoteaora and Aururia are regular enough to ensure that. (Although the Maori may escape a couple of diseases which don't produce asymptomatic carriers).

Still, the Maori will certainly take an active interest in what's happening in Aururia, one way or another.

Now, here's a thought regarding the distance between Aururia and Europe: is the clipper route usable in the mid-1600s, or is shipbuilding/seafaring technology just not up to that extended of a period completely away from land yet?

I'm not sure whether the clipper route was technically feasible in terms of shipbuilding in the mid-1600s. There were a number of sailing developments; maybe some of those could be worked out earlier.

But seafaring was definitely not up to it in terms of storage of fresh food and water. Scurvy is the biggest problem; and in OTL it would not be solved properly until almost the 19th century. (Gunnagalic medicine may see it worked out somewhat earlier ATL, but not during the 17th century.)

It seems that the West in this TL seems to be on a path towards thinking Daluming= Aztecs. How far are they going to take this and what effects will this have on archeology and anthropology? Will these two fields be set back by a lot of false correlations and erroneous conclusions ?

Working out the truth will probably take a long time. "Mexicans" will be a popular misconception of the Daluming for centuries. It will send all sorts of people down wrong paths for quite a while. The truth will be worked out eventually - i.e. there is nothing meaningful in common - but it will take a while. This won't even be the only misconception about the Daluming: their ancient stone heads inland will also provoke all sorts of other wild speculation about Easter Islanders, Olmecs and so forth. Equally wrong, but popular misconceptions.

The erroneous conclusion which will last for a long time is that trade across the Pacific has been around since ancient times. Ironically enough, the sweet potato will be held out as further proof of that, earlier than it was in OTL. (It's amazing how long anthropologists ignored the sweet potato as proof that there was trans-Pacific contact well before Columbus.)

Now this I can definitely see happening. IOTL, the Maori chartered European ships to sail to the Chatham islands and attack and enslave the people there. ITTL, Europeans would definitely be interested in hiring mercenaries for wars in Aururia. It would be cheaper than shipping them from Europe, and having a class of foreign warriors could be useful in many ways. The local Aururians would see them as invaders, so they would have much less incentive to revolt against their European who hired them than local Aururian soldiers, and would be dependent on maintaining their master's empires for their own safety. It's brilliantly Machiavellian.

Not just as warriors, although the uses there are significant. Labour shortages will be a chronic problem in Aururia for over a century, thanks to the population collapse from plagues. In an environment where there is still intense European demand for spices, forced Maori labour may end up in Aururia for other reasons entirely.

I've been a lurker for many years so haven't had the opportunity to say this but I consider The Lands of Red and Gold the finest timeline this board has to offer. It is truly a remarkable and exceptional piece of work.

Thank you muchly!

The Sandman

Banned
Not just as warriors, although the uses there are significant. Labour shortages will be a chronic problem in Aururia for over a century, thanks to the population collapse from plagues. In an environment where there is still intense European demand for spices, forced Maori labour may end up in Aururia for other reasons entirely.

Probably Chinese, Indians, Indonesians, maybe some Japanese as well (enforcers, mainly; the sort of people who'd have been pirates before the ban on building large ships). Not sure if they'd try importing African slaves; possibly from the east coast, but given the aforementioned other sources of surplus labor I'd guess that it's more profitable to keep sending Africans to the New World and use Asians in Aururia.

Yeah, in the Pacific the coolie system was pretty much the equivalent of the African slave trade anyway. There's not much point in transporting African slaves when you can transport much closer (de facto, if not de jure) Asian slaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.