What is a common thing or trope that always seem to happen?

The only exception is when that multi-ethnic states embrace the American "melting pot of nations" rhetoric. No matter if they, in practice, estabilish a regime of Bantustans: the use of "melting pot rhetoric" is a powerful shield for this nations.

Exactly. Some countries (meaning the US) are allowed to circumnavigate this rule because they’re supposedly perfect.

The whole point of AH is to explore new scenarios and there is clearly very strong bias against empires/multiethnic states even though we have thousands of examples of those working for centuries.

Belgium yes, absolutely. France had an agreement with Russia to join any war they had with Germany, so they were going to join no matter what. That doesn't justify the German invasion or devastation of France of course, but don't act like France was all innocent either. As for Britain, their entrance into the war was inevitable. Britain's foreign policy had always revolved around keeping the continental powers down in the name of the "balance of power" (which just so happened to make it so none of them could challenge British hegemony).
The German ultimatum removed from the French any flexibility, any wherewithal in deciding to join or not.
Whether they were likely going to join is immaterial; the immediate cause of France's entry, as far as the French are concerned, is Germany's ultimatum...
Similarly, the immediate cause of Britain's entry is the ultimatum to Belgium and subsequent invasion.

Exactly. Some countries (meaning the US) are allowed to circumnavigate this rule because they’re supposedly perfect.

The whole point of AH is to explore new scenarios and there is clearly very strong bias against empires/multiethnic states even though we have thousands of examples of those working for centuries.
And by "worked" it is obviously understood that we mean the examples worked on a harmony based on better principles than "one ethnic group is absolutely dominant and dedicated to trampling and oppressing the others, and the only reason why they do not become total genocidal is because there is a 'balance of power' in which minorities 'keep in check' each other and the majority ethnic group... not because the rulers recognize the fact that genocide people is evil and immoral."

And by "worked" it is obviously understood that we mean the examples worked on a harmony based on better principles than "one ethnic group is absolutely dominant and dedicated to trampling and oppressing the others, and the only reason why they do not become total genocidal is because there is a 'balance of power' in which minorities 'keep in check' each other and the majority ethnic group... not because the rulers recognize the fact that genocide people is evil and immoral."

Yes. And it's a such big self confidence that they don't doubt of their own superior model. Gladly we discuss racism a lot but xenophobia sometimes are downplayed today while they're massive force making people to understand foreign countries through incredibly distorted lens. It's basically us (the US, White Anglophone countries) vs them (all those exotic foreigners).

But aside this, we have also "progressive xenophobia", very common on developed countries (by developed, meaning a higher GDP per capita, the "it's all about economy" thing). If you want to explore a scenario where let's say Britain and Australia are locked in a very close association (or Spain and Argentina, or France and Louisiana, or Netherlands and Cape, be creative) that's immediately called ASB just because, whereas in OTL we have incredibly different countries such Spain and Finland sharing the same currency.

So, you will make states based on religion? Like multi ethnic nations but united under the same God(s) instead of a national idea?

In one hand, there are nations united under a sort of national idea (mostly these will be in the Americas), but said national idea isn't based around one ethnicity or another, while others are united around allegiance to a monarch. For Europe, what happens is that the Counter-Reformation is more successful (Protestantism survives, but mostly in Scandinavia and Scotland), and partly because of that, Christianity doesn't decline the way it did OTL, and doesn't leave a moral void for other ideologies, like nationalism, to fill.

Last edited:
Yes. And it's a such big self confidence that they don't doubt of their own superior model. Gladly we discuss racism a lot but xenophobia sometimes are downplayed today while they're massive force making people to understand foreign countries through incredibly distorted lens. It's basically us (the US, White Anglophone countries) vs them (all those exotic foreigners).

But aside this, we have also "progressive xenophobia", very common on developed countries (by developed, meaning a higher GDP per capita, the "it's all about economy" thing). If you want to explore a scenario where let's say Britain and Australia are locked in a very close association (or Spain and Argentina, or France and Louisiana, or Netherlands and Cape, be creative) that's immediately called ASB just because, whereas in OTL we have incredibly different countries such Spain and Finland sharing the same currency.
I'm not really sure what you mean by "progressive xenophobia", the name makes me think that it is "xenophobia wrapped in progressive rhetoric so that it sounds enlightened and based on scientific evidence rather than just bigotry" , although as you describe it it sounds like it is something different.

But I have seen that normally the case you describe (Spain and Finland using the same currency) is explained by resorting to "everything is economics" or, to use the popular expression here, "money talks, everyone walks." And that can be summarized in that the governments of two or more countries that in principle would have no reason to associate with each other (and many would not do so) will do so...

...simply by sitting down and explaining to them how refusing to do so stands between them and the hypothetical possibility of greater financial gains. That is to say, people will happily give up literally EVERYTHING if you promise them it will make them more than two dollars. Which of course doesn't work like that but people assume that's how it is.

I have also seen such partnerships often explained on the basis that they are not egalitarian, often using the GEACPS as an example: that is, unless it is the European Union or NATO, transnational partnerships are assumed to consist exclusively of a bunch of small countries that are forced to stay in the association only because the strongest nation wields financial and military threats against them (try to leave the association and I will screw up your economy/you will learn what happens when my troops invade your country).

Of course, in this case all the other members of the association hate their "leader" immensely, and stay in solely out of fear, but they are eager to get out of the association and desperate to ally themselves with anyone who promises to free them from Their leader".

Not forgetting, of course, the very common whiplash that I have seen recently in at least two or three TLs.

We have the typical scenario in which the great powers decide to start wars of expansionist and imperialist aggression, completely by pure choice (that is, they were NOT dragged into the war by the actions of the other side, they started the war because they wanted to).

Which they do by burning ammunition and weapons and soldiers as if they were going to run out of them if they don't use them up within 24 hours.

Of course, anyone who brays nonsense like "this is too expensive" or "we're going to destroy our economy" will at best be shown the door, and shot in the head as a "traitor" at worst. Because of course these wars MUST be fought, NOTHING is more important...

...until suddenly the author decides that he wants to end the war. So he decides that, after having made virtually everyone within the universe eager to fight no matter the cost...

...suddenly the same leaders who were before were "WAR, WAR, WAR! AT ANY COST! LET'S GENOCIDE EVERYONE WHO IS NOT WEARING OUR GLORIOUS UNIFORM! SHOOT EVERYTHING THAT IS NOT WEARING OUR NOBLE FLAG!" Now they are starting to put their hands on their heads and shout that they are destroying their own economy and that the war must be stopped NOW.

I mean, what? You (the author)'ve been showing ABSOLUTE DISREGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE (and the economy) by waging genocidal wars of aggression...

...and you're telling me that all you care about IS THE FUCKING ECONOMY?

Another two:
  1. Colonial borders always remain the same. This is particularly the case for Africa, but also happens in Asia and the Americas. The colonizers themselves could be different (but they usually aren't), but the borders are the same.
  2. People overemphasize long term trends and use this as an excuse to deem everything they don't like as ASB. Yes, long term trends are important, but short term causes are just as important.

The empire of Japan always ends up being a superpower regardless of the POD. Often Japan gets to remilitarise and create its own sphere even in timelines set after WW2

We need more Japan screws, guys. What's the point of writing alternate history if you don't create more original and insane dystopias for other countries???

Last edited:

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
The empire of Japan always ends up being a superpower regardless of the POD. Often Japan gets to remilitarise and create its own sphere even in timelines set after WW2

We need more Japan screws, guys. What's the point of writing alternate history if you don't create more original and insane dystopias for other countries???
Look to the West has Russia colonize Japan

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
In one hand, there are nations united under a sort of national idea (mostly these will be in the Americas), but said national idea isn't based around one ethnicity or another, while others are united around allegiance to a monarch. For Europe, what happens is that the Counter-Reformation is more successful (Protestantism survives, but mostly in Scandinavia and Scotland), and partly because of that, Christianity doesn't decline the way it did OTL, and doesn't leave a moral void for other ideologies, like nationalism, to fill.
In Southeast Asia OTL, the post-colonial states follow the borders of the old kingdoms even though they are ethnic-majority - assuming this pattern persists in Asia and Africa

On AANW Japan is bombed such level that in 2020's it is not much more developed than Thailand.

On TL-191: After the End Japan basically ends to be exist. Firstly it is destroyed on Fourth Pacific War. divided to smaller countries and finally in 2164 incorporated by USA.

Decisive darkness is probably the worst possible outcome of the Japan but honestly, I really want to see a scenario where the Japanese lose either Russo or Sino Japanese war and see how that change the world view

Dystopias are overrated.

I prefer writing utopic scenarios myself so I dont think the point of AH is to make horrifying worlds
That said they can be a fun(if depressing) read, just not obligatory

I prefer writing utopic scenarios myself so I dont think the point of AH is to make horrifying worlds
That said they can be a fun(if depressing) read, just not obligatory
Dystopias are overrated.
I’m going to be honest Utopians, even enough is a lot more underrated is still to me, too ASB to my taste. If I ever try to have a timeline that activated, it’s going to be a mix between the two because life is beautiful, but ALs had a dark side, so when it reflected into my world as well. Nor utopian nor dystopian, just real life.

Edited: I think Aluma, a better word would be a better world or scenario than just utopia but it isn’t wrong of thinking about world

Last edited: