The volkssturmgewehr as the german WWII rifle

1678047883729.jpeg

The volkssturmgewehr is a last ditch rifle developed by the wehrmacht in february 1945 as a cheap gun to give to the volkssturm. This gun had the advantage of being cheap and also semi automatic, while the kar98k was more expensive and bolt action.

So, ten years before in 1935 germany adopted the kar98k as their main rifle and used it during WWII. Let's say that germany had developed this rifle instead, what changes would happen during the war?

A video of it in operation

So, ten years before in 1935 germany adopted the kar98k as their main rifle and used it during WWII. Let's say that germany had developed this rifle instead, what changes would happen during the war?
This will require Germans to come out with an intermediate cartridge almost 10 years before the 7.92 Kurz was introduced.

Yes. Is this feasible with 1935 tech?
It is feasible with 1880's tech.
What was needed was that military high-ups, like ordnance chief(s) - Waffenamt in case of pre-1945 Germany - green-lit it 1st.
For some pre-1920s cartridges, we can take a look at 8mmx 35, a.k.a. 8mm Ribeyrolles, or the .25 Remington (with a modern bullet, of course). The French cartridge will be much easier for the Waffenamt to digest, since the legacy barrel-making equipment can be put in the good use.

It is feasible with 1880's tech.
What was needed was that military high-ups, like ordnance chief(s) - Waffenamt in case of pre-1945 Germany - green-lit it 1st.
For some pre-1920s cartridges, we can take a look at 8mmx 35, a.k.a. 8mm Ribeyrolles, or the .25 Remington (with a modern bullet, of course). The French cartridge will be much easier for the Waffenamt to digest, since the legacy barrel-making equipment can be put in the good use.
I know nothing about this but I have to say I did good with this gun in BFV :p
This gun is very good, it can even fire as an automatic rifle, it surely would be better than the kar98k.

Ok Tomo, so that means that it is doable.

You're telling me the Kar cost more than this?
The Mauser 98 is a fine quality hunting rifle.
The Springfield 03 is a fine quality target rifle.
The Lee Enfield is a rugged battle rifle.
The Moisen Nagant is a rifle.

None of them are cheep to make, requiring skilled machinists and many man hours.

The Volkssturm rifles (all types) have one advantage. They're cheep and quick to build, They may or may not fire (or blow up) when you pull the trigger. They may hit near where you're aiming at.

The Mauser 98 is a fine quality hunting rifle.
The Springfield 03 is a fine quality target rifle.
The Lee Enfield is a rugged battle rifle.
The Moisen Nagant is a rifle.

None of them are cheep to make, requiring skilled machinists and many man hours.

The Volkssturm rifles (all types) have one advantage. They're cheep and quick to build, They may or may not fire (or blow up) when you pull the trigger. They may hit near where you're aiming at.
Yeah, like, I find it difficult to be expensive, that thing sucks and it was made under desesperated conditions.

I'd hate to have to rely on that contraption in the mud and ice of the Eastern Front or the sand and grit of North Africa, I also doubt how it would cope with the heat generated by prolonged shooting in a battle.

I'd hate to have to rely on that contraption in the mud and ice of the Eastern Front or the sand and grit of North Africa, I also doubt how it would cope with the heat generated by prolonged shooting in a battle.
if the gun is introduced in 1935, it would be improved by 1939, not a perfect (if there is such a thing) rifle but better than the last ditch weapon designed at the end of the war.

if the gun is introduced in 1935, it would be improved by 1939, not a perfect (if there is such a thing) rifle but better than the last ditch weapon designed at the end of the war.
Like, it probably has a lower range than the kar98k, but it has more bullets and it is semi auto.

The problem is that if we make it more reliable it is going to get more expensive lose it's main advantage over the kar...

Like, it probably has a lower range than the kar98k, but it has more bullets and it is semi auto.

The problem is that if we make it more reliable it is going to get more expensive lose it's main advantage over the kar...
A few simple improvements would probably still keep it lower priced than a Kar.98.
and it would still be easier to mass produce.

Shouldn't be that complicated to make it more accurate. Lengthen the barrel a little, do some slight modifications, and it should be a serviceable semi-automatic rifle.

Last edited: