Who Put the IV in Alternative History? (2003) and Suite101

There used to be an old user-submitted content aggregator website called Suite101. It had an AH section.

I don't remember the other articles, but this was the funniest one

Alternative History - Who Put the IV in Alternative History?

Author: Bucky Rea
Published on: April 12, 2003

What's in a Name?​

When the literary genre is called "alternate" history, Bucky, some people ask me, how come you call this site "Alternative History at Suite 101"? That's a really good question. I'm glad I asked.
It's an accident, really. When I started this column, I didn't know what I was getting into, but I knew I wanted to distinguish myself from some the other historical what-if sites out there in the internet. In some obscure article someplace I remember reading somebody state something to the effect that the discipline of what-iffing historical events should be called alternative, rather than alternate, because the latter term implies that multiple timelines could co-exist while the former makes plain that two separate historical outcomes are by definition mutually exclusive of one another. That is, if the terms are broken down epistemologically "alternate history" endorses the Many-Possible-Worlds Theory employed by Star Trek and other idiots, while "alternative history" only means the This-Is-Just-a-Thought-Experiment- and-Thus-a-Complete-Waste-of-My-Time Theory.
But since you're reading this website, you already know I choose wasting my time over being idiotic. However, in scanning the internet for cool stuff to include in this site, I discovered why it would be better for me to use the idiot term alternate history: the phrase Alternative History has already been taken.
By idiots.

Everything New is Old Again​

Alternative History refers to a view of history that seeks an explanation to past event that are alternative to the theories that mainstream (meaning university-based professional) historians agree upon. These non-mainstream explanations can run from (1) suggested revisions for how history went to (2) conspiracy theories to (3) outright loony-tune flights of delusion.
The first category of alternative history would include the works of amateur historians like Gavin Menzies, whose recent book 1421: The Year China Discovered the World argues (as the title implies) that China discovered the New World in 1421. This is obviously a fertile area for what-ifs, such as "What if Chinese Admiral Zheng He actually did make it to the Western Hemisphere and established regular contact—or even permanent colonies—in North America 70 years before Columbus got his wild hair?"
1421: The Year China Did the Highly Unlikely
Opinions on Menzies's theory range from uncritical admiration (or this archived review here) to outright ridicule (or this academic stuff here). And any Menzies-based alternate history would have to deal with the fact that China in the 15th Century had absolutely no desire, inclination, or capacity to establish remote colonies on strategically irrelevant continents. In fact Zheng He's 1421 expedition did reach the southeastern African coast and left behind some settlers (whose descendents still dwell there today). But obviously no long term political presence was maintained there.
The old New World is one of the richest veins mined by these revisionists. Arguments range from the theory that there was a vast network of pre-Columbian world commerce centering around the Mayans and Aztecs to suggestions of early colonization of the Americas by Australian aborigines, Welsh outcasts, and Vikings.

Why, Why, That's Crazy Talk!​

Conspiracy
Or was it the Illuminati?
theories operate on a whole new level of fun, and the number of websites that deal with conspiracies is legion. But historically relevant conspiracies, concerning events predating the CIA's assassination of Princess Di are a bit harder to come by. Some of these hearty, if not healthy, "alternatives" include:

Aliens Among Us​

Does this look like Henry Kissinger to you?
But it doesn't get any weirder than David Icke's contention that a race of alien lizards has infested the bloodstream of all the world's elite leaders since the dawn of time. Icke believes that almost all history since the 12th Century and probably even long before that. He's got the inside scoop on the Reptilians' agenda, and all you have to do is scroll down the page, take his "little red pill" and you'll start to see the Truth, too.
If red pills aren't your bag, then the historical truth behind the Green Children ( not to be confused with those other Green Children) should provide you with a different sort of enlightenment.
But by now I'm just getting silly (and fed up with reviewing these jackass websites). My main point is that, when I named this web page, I screwed up. It's alternate history. Alternate, leave the "i.v." out, please. If you want to review the best of these alternative history sites, from all three categories, go to the Alternative History Directory. And don't bother me for about two weeks.

Good times.

And to this day, it is good to remember to always use alternate, and not alternative history when talking about counterfactuals you don't take seriously as some sort of paranormal reality.

Now on that note, here's another sample history from Suite 101's AH section: What if Humans Had Tails?

Both articles are by Bucky Rea, which was a SHWI poster back in the day. I'm rather surprised that he's not on this forum, since he seems to still be active online.

IanWatch

space.gif

Author: Bucky Rea
Published on: February 8, 2001
dewey_small_icon.gif
Related Subject(s): Imaginary histories -- Computer network resources

I got an email from Ian the other day. He's apparently well, has escaped captivity from the sociopathic, banjo pickin' woodsmen who've been keeping him offline since December, and has got his website up and a raring to go.

His website?
AH.com's Logo
Yeh, du-uh. Ian's website. Ian Montgomerie, for those of yall who don't know, is the diabolical mastermind behind Alternate History.com. Now the fantabulous World Wide Thingee which we all know and pay homage to is not unlike a wide open stretch of unclaimed territory. All it really takes to set up shop as the "official voice" of any particular intellectual niche in the universal collective awareness is the gumption to think of a logical url address before anyone else does and the $30 to $40 it takes to register that domain name.

Thus you have such notable DNS addresses as Stupid.com, Thug.com, Lettuce.org, and Red.com none of which hold any particular authority or proprietary interest in (respectively speaking) stupidity, thuggery, lettuce, or the color red. All they got is squatters' rights—they were there first and planted their stakes first. End of story. In this great ethereal Oklahoma called "the Internet" the sooner the Sooner, the better the name. And you don't even have to kill any Indians to establish your rights. How's that for benign social Darwinism?

So when Ian thought to take it upon himself to claim alternatehistory.com, there really wasn't any reason why he had to make his website thedefinitive reference site for online Alternative History. Nope, he coulda just used the clever name ID to promote his own self (like that Lettuce.org guy does). Instead he did something I really respect with his prime cyberreal estate. He made his AH site everybody's AH site. And no, he's not a communist (I don't think).

So what's a feller gotta do to get the unofficial status of "definitive online resource for web-based alternative history"? (Not that that would fit on a business card). Well, take a looksee at what Ian's done.

Alternate History.com, altho still very much a work in progress, offers four key features.

1. The AH Directory is where Ian's completed a close to exhaustive index of both online AH fiction and speculative "scenarios" (aka 'timelines'). If there's a genuine uchy story out there that he's missed, I'd be surprised. He's found quite a few gems. Frinstance, once you're there, do a search (that means "control + F" for most of you) and find the link to the Boilerplate site, and discover a steam punk Frankenstein that's not to be missed.

2. The Web Guide is a links page with a difference. Rather than offer a simple list of links (heck, we all do that), this guide organizes the links by the type and quantity of content to be found on each page. No more of that search engine malarkey, mis compadres, cause now all the details are sweated for you and presented in a logical and informative format. Frankly—and I say this with a modicum of embarrassment—this is everything that Suite 101's AH links are sposed to be. The Guide's only omission is that it's woefully lacking in smart-assed subjective commentary, which I humbly submit to you is the hallmark of any distinctive web hubsite. (And as a personal aside, I should note Ian seems to labor under the assumption that my Christian name is "Greg" rather than Bucky. Let me be perfectly clear about this. Bucky is my real name—my parents having given it to me in honor of a particularly adventurous ride to the hospital on the occasion of my birth—and I refuse to acknowledge any association with this Greg person, whoever the hell he is.)

3. The Discussion Board is a great format for any ideas, questions, or opinionations a body might want to share on alternate history. The board is tragically underutilized, I'm afraid, but I'm bothering to plug it here in hopes that we can all, ya know, do something about that. It's not the only game in town, discussion board wise, but it's far and away the most visually appealing I've seen.

...and (saving the best for last)...

4. The Hosted Sites is an excellent resource pretty much just waiting for you to climb aboard. Ian informs us, "These are full alternate history related web sites, maintained by private individuals and given free unlimited web space by AlternateHistory.com." That's free, as in free, Gunga Din. I shouldn't have to whip and flay you to letcha know what a tremendous and generous resource Ian's offering up here.

I mean, sure, there are other free and "free" sites around the World Wide Doohickey where you might post your AHery, but please note the domain name you'd have if you decided to publicize your sick world-domination fantasies online. Whatever you put up there would be found at (and I quote)
I think that's pretty cool. Apparently so did the three folks who've already signed up to abuse Ian's sense of public spiritedness.

And they are...?

David K Tormsen, The (the Agrarianist) Spiritualist, and Ian himself. Each of these three sites hosted by AH.com are well-presented countertakes on how else history might have flown. And for you fans of pyramid marketing schemes and fractal regression, each of these three sites host within themselves several stories and scenarios of alternate history by yet different folks. Good gravy in the morning, that's confusing! But each'll definitely make for an entertaining Thursday afternoon's cheap reading. To wit:

• David K Tormsen's AH Site features extremely cool animated graphics (including a death-by-dino gif and a yakking toga boy) and it's even available in French! Damn it, French, I tell you!

• The Spiritualist's Shades of History features several scenarios speculating on the influence of religion in history. Imagine an alternate Ten Commandments or the Bible used by the Church or Luciferism.

• Ian's own Gateway site is another world unto itself of worlds unto themselves. His Armchair Fate essays deftly snip the threads of historical destiny and a few may even provoke a response out of you.
Speaking of threads, AH.com also hosts a big honkin' (yet still only partial) archive of postings to the newsgroup soc.history.what-if, a rangy chaotic forum for off the cuff historical speculation and argument. But you'll have to dive into that tar pit on your own, sweetcheeks.

Click on this link and guess where you'll go!
Well, thanks for taking time to come and bond with your Bucky. I only hope that I've given you enough reading material until next time.

Good times.