What is a common thing or trope that always seem to happen?

If Germany is formed it's must be one of the best millitary power.

The Ottoman empire is a juggernaut but screwed on the long term, (even with a PoD from 1400) with heavy lose, however if they manage to survive until oil discoveries, it will then becoming a wealthy but corrupt nation.

British or the USA must rule the waves, (excepted if the country concerned by the PoD from the writer become the nation ruling the wave)

And Suslov always mess everything even worsely than Brezhnev did and Soviet Union will collapse Suslov yet being alive.
I think the exception is "Fear, loathing and gumbo on the campaign trial of '72", where he is actually able to reform the Soviet Union.

The US Civil War. As a non-American, I find it boring. And it's even weird those ideas that this backward new state would proceed to conquest the entire American continent south of it as if they were more powerful than their Latin American neighbours.

A common theme in a lot of threads is I am the greatest with the greatest army, that can be beaten by no one here. This is followed by an alliance to destroy the greatest player. Happens all the time.

The US Civil War. As a non-American, I find it boring. And it's even weird those ideas that this backward new state would proceed to conquest the entire American continent south of it as if they were more powerful than their Latin American neighbours.
As an American I find it boring.

Some form of communism occurring someplace (usually Russia or China) even with PODs before the Communist Manifesto.
A World War I and World War II equivalent (even though this is post-1900).

I think the exception is "Fear, loathing and gumbo on the campaign trial of '72", where he is actually able to reform the Soviet Union.
Foot Print of Mussolini had him randomly become a Tolystoyist for some reason and turn Russia into Christian Anarchist Utopia. That timeline was weird....

Korea can either be colonized or stay feudal forever. It can never modernize on its own.
They probably would be more powerful than most Latin American countries (the ABC countries would be the exception) but it's unlikely they would have much ability to project that power. Most of the naval strength lay with the Union.
Americans are obsessed with size.

It's why, in any TL where the CSA wins, the US almost always takes Canada to compensate.
Well if the CSA wins because of British interference, then it makes sense for it to create bad blood between Britain and the USA. That doesn't necessarily "compensate" because the occupation would create plenty of problems of its own, but it hardly unrealistic. In fact I would argue the Confederate victory is less realistic than the conquest of Canada.
And CSA always abolish slavery before 1900.
This seems to be particularly common among people who want to take the USA down a peg while sidestepping how vile a Confederate victory would be.

Deleted member 139407

I find the idea of US-wanks (whether it’s because of a CSA victory a la Turtledove, or American über alles or not) overused. US-wank maps and scenarios almost always involve the United States in full control of Canada, some collection of Northern Mexican states (the Baja California peninsula, Sonora, Chihuahua, and the Rio Grande Republic area are prime targets), and almost always Cuba and/or the Dominican Republic on top of OTL Caribbean holdings give or take a few islands. Plus five bonus points if the Philippines or Liberia remain American territorios, as well. I rarely see timelines where the US is either relegated to the East Coast or, at the very least, just does not reach the West Coast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Korea can either be colonized or stay feudal forever. It can never modernize on its own.
They probably would be more powerful than most Latin American countries (the ABC countries would be the exception) but it's unlikely they would have much ability to project that power. Most of the naval strength lay with the Union.
Well if the CSA wins because of British interference, then it makes sense for it to create bad blood between Britain and the USA. That doesn't necessarily "compensate" because the occupation would create plenty of problems of its own, but it hardly unrealistic. In fact I would argue the Confederate victory is less realistic than the conquest of Canada.
This seems to be particularly common among people who want to take the USA down a peg while sidestepping how vile a Confederate victory would be.
Yeah there’s nothing necessarily bad with CS Victory TLs even though they’re not super realistic or original (hell, I’m writing one) but I don’t think enough authors really can or want to grapple with the horror show their premise entails

Foot Print of Mussolini had him randomly become a Tolystoyist for some reason and turn Russia into Christian Anarchist Utopia. That timeline was weird....
No, that was Malenkov

Suslov faked a Moon landing and went crszy during his trial.