Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

Huh on the subject of food I wonder if the Victor's will have a heating element in it for brewing up.
Of course, but it's not for making a cuppa, it's so you can sterilise your mess tins. Brewing up is forbidden and they even give you explicit instructions on what you're not supposed to do and where you're not to put the tea bags. Even if there's a little shelf under the drain plug you absolutely must not put your mug there and empty the boiling vessel into it.

Better than endless food discussions.
On the subject of food with greater victories I wonder if rationing in the UK had stayed the same as it did OTL or somewhat better? I mean with less stress to run fast convoys more merchant ships are probably around.

marathag

Banned
On the subject of food with greater victories I wonder if rationing in the UK had stayed the same as it did OTL or somewhat better? I mean with less stress to run fast convoys more merchant ships are probably around.
There something to the idea that Rationing was kept in place long than it was actually needed, since West Germany ended Rationing earlier.
Administration of Ministry of Food was one of the targets Churchill had for the 1950 Election

They failed to notice all the cans had been opened (and probably p**sed on?) Which is why "living off the land" is a bad idea because your enemy can always clear away or sabotage what your planning to steal before you get to it.
Firstly, the Japanese were starving by that time, so food discipline was... low, and that's putting it mildly. Secondly, I said pierced, not opened. A puncture by something small, in the tropical conditions of Papua New Guinea, is all that's needed to turn a can of bully beef into a far more effective biological time bomb than it already is. But yes, you are correct about foraging/living of the land, especially in a country where you have no idea which of the multitude of jungle plants around you are edible.

I would imagine so, nothing will have greatly impacted the Battle of the Atlantic just yet. It's possible losses may be down a little but not enough to relax rationing and those losses are about to increase thanks to Operation Drumbeat.

There something to the idea that Rationing was kept in place long than it was actually needed, since West Germany ended Rationing earlier.
Administration of Ministry of Food was one of the targets Churchill had for the 1950 Election
Trying to meet payments for war debt played a major role in the duration and re-establishment of rationing in the UK. Everyone keeps forgetting, or ignoring, the impacts that the trade & financial clauses of Lend-Lease had on the British economy.

The "Passport to Pimlico" was a biting satirical attack on Rationing made post-war in the UK. A very funny movie in itself but very pointed.;)

Last edited:
Assuming you're talking about this weapon, it was used on the CS variants of the A9 and A10 tanks.
Pretty sure Wiki has its wires crossed on that one. The howitzer (Q.F., 3.7-inch Mountain Howitzer, Mark I.) is designed to be broken down into more portable loads, that includes splitting the roughly 12 calibre long barrel in half, there is a large nut half way down to do this, the tank gun just doesn't do that. The howitzer uses an interrupted screw breech and separate loading ammunition. The CS tank armament (Q.F., 3.7-In Mark I Mortar) named so to avoid confusion with the howitzer, which apparently hasn't worked, has a single piece barrel about 15 cal. long, horizontal sliding breech, and fixed ammunition. There's just no commonality that I can see.

And that line on tank use in the Wikipedia article has no source noted, which suggests to me there likely isn't one.

Pretty sure Wiki has its wires crossed on that one. The howitzer (Q.F., 3.7-inch Mountain Howitzer, Mark I.) is designed to be broken down into more portable loads, that includes splitting the roughly 12 calibre long barrel in half, there is a large nut half way down to do this, the tank gun just doesn't do that. The howitzer uses an interrupted screw breech and separate loading ammunition. The CS tank armament (Q.F., 3.7-In Mark I Mortar) named so to avoid confusion with the howitzer, which apparently hasn't worked, has a single piece barrel about 15 cal. long, horizontal sliding breech, and fixed ammunition. There's just no commonality that I can see.

And that line on tank use in the Wikipedia article has no source noted, which suggests to me there likely isn't one.
Hm, the pages for the tanks claim the 3.7" gun they used was derived from the mountain gun, so you're technically correct. Pretty sure they used the same ammunition though.