Recall Help...??? - Yamamoto/Yamaguchi Discussion Inland Sea (Truk?) 1942 (43?).

Greetings All

I've got a persisting brain itch I'd like to scratch but have had no luck addressing. I'm wondering if anyone out in forum land can give me a bit of help. Shortly before II was struck by a serious health issue in 2022 I think, I read a post in one of the threads in which Yamamoto held a meeting with Yamaguchi to discuss signals security and use of deception. ITTL Yamaguchi had survived Midway and was commander of the KB, training up in either Hokkaido or the Kuriles when he was called to confer with Yamamoto regarding its future employment. The thing was that the ideas in the post intrigued me, and the niggle has persisted despite my health issues, but it's taken me till now to catch up and try and pursue it further. The trouble is with cancer and radiation therapy I've lost track of the original post or thread that initiated this niggle, and now I can't find it. I'm wondering if anyone out there can recall a similar post or thread to point me too. I know it's a long shot but if anyone has some ideas or recalls the narrative described I'd appreciate it if you can direct me to possible posts. Thanks for any assistance I hope to hear from people regarding anything remotely like this. Tks T.

Greetings All

I've got a persisting brain itch I'd like to scratch but have had no luck addressing. I'm wondering if anyone out in forum land can give me a bit of help. Shortly before II was struck by a serious health issue in 2022 I think, I read a post in one of the threads in which Yamamoto held a meeting with Yamaguchi to discuss signals security and use of deception. ITTL Yamaguchi had survived Midway and was commander of the KB, training up in either Hokkaido or the Kuriles when he was called to confer with Yamamoto regarding its future employment. The thing was that the ideas in the post intrigued me, and the niggle has persisted despite my health issues, but it's taken me till now to catch up and try and pursue it further. The trouble is with cancer and radiation therapy I've lost track of the original post or thread that initiated this niggle, and now I can't find it. I'm wondering if anyone out there can recall a similar post or thread to point me too. I know it's a long shot but if anyone has some ideas or recalls the narrative described I'd appreciate it if you can direct me to possible posts. Thanks for any assistance I hope to hear from people regarding anything remotely like this. Tks T.
Sorry that this isn't what you really wanted, but you might find it interesting. I'm sure the issue has come up of the IJN changing their codes. They did change them periodically, but the new versions were based on the same basic code with numerical add-ons. It took some time to crack the new JN-25 code and for that time USN signal intel was blind.

Both the Germans and Japanese were confident that the complexity of their codes and coding systems made them very secure. The IJA codes were very hard to break, and the Americans didn't have any success until April 1943. In early 1944 the Australians were lucky to find coding equipment and code books that the Japanese army had failed to destroy. The German Navies Triton code was only broken when the British managed to capture a Triton code book from a sinking U-Boat.

Welcome back Tangles2 and I hope your recovering from your health issues. Good luck.

Last edited:
Sorry that this isn't what you really wanted, but you might find it interesting. I'm sure the issue has come up of the IJN changing their codes. They did change them periodically, but the new versions were based on the same basic code with numerical add-ons. It took some time to crack the new JN-25 code and for that time USN signal intel was blind.

Both the Germans and Japanese were confident that the complexity of their codes and coding systems made them very secure. The IJA codes were very hard to break, and the Americans didn't have any success until April 1943. In early 1944 the Australians were lucky to find coding equipment and code books that the Japanese army had failed to destroy. The German Navies Triton code was only broken when the British managed to capture a Triton code book from a sinking U-Boat.

Welcome back Tangles2 and I hope your recovering from your health issues. Good luck.
Tks, but it wasn't just the codes, it was also some of the deception and signal security issues that I liked to consider. Moving sigs and the different hands being used and relocating different ships etc. Just was a nice little summary I wanted to revisit from memory. Tks T.