President Reagan - in 1968

And how can he win the nomination in 1968?

That's actually the easiest part of the scenario, there are three ways to bring it about:

a) Reagan brings Thurmond on board by openly campaigning for the nomination in the summer, locking the South & California under his control. With no one able to win a first ballot victory the delegates—enthused by Reagan—give it to him.

b) Reagan's campaign breaks one state from Thurmond's control, preventing a first ballot victory for Nixon. It was generally accepted that no first ballot victory for Nixon would see his delegates flood to Reagan (as Rockefeller was unacceptable) and it was well understood that even Thurmond could cover only the first ballot for Nixon.

c) RFK lives and wins the Democratic nomination. There was a sizeable fear among delegates that Nixon couldn't beat a Kennedy, and under this scenario a Nixon first ballot victory is unlikely. If Nixon can't win on the first ballot, Reagan is almost certainly the nominee.

That's actually the easiest part of the scenario, there are three ways to bring it about:

a) Reagan brings Thurmond on board by openly campaigning for the nomination in the summer, locking the South & California under his control. With no one able to win a first ballot victory the delegates—enthused by Reagan—give it to him.

b) Reagan's campaign breaks one state from Thurmond's control, preventing a first ballot victory for Nixon. It was generally accepted that no first ballot victory for Nixon would see his delegates flood to Reagan (as Rockefeller was unacceptable) and it was well understood that even Thurmond could cover only the first ballot for Nixon.

c) RFK lives and wins the Democratic nomination. There was a sizeable fear among delegates that Nixon couldn't beat a Kennedy, and under this scenario a Nixon first ballot victory is unlikely. If Nixon can't win on the first ballot, Reagan is almost certainly the nominee.

Is anybody willing to take a crack at this scenario?, I found the aspect of an earlier President Reagan profundly intriguing and would have started working on it myself If, I wasn't already working on my POTUS Lloyd Bentsen TL.

JohnJacques

Banned
As I recall, Reagan condemned the TVA just like Barry Goldwater did, which hurt him in a lot of that area of the South.

Ok, Im coming up with a full fledged tl based on the scenario(Writer's block and not enough creative flexiblity has temporarily doomed my Lloyd Bensten tl, and I want to take a crack at this simply because it seems more fun lol) But I am wondering how might Reagan/Insert Rockerfeller Republican running mate ticket will run during the 1968 General Election? Does Reagan run as a moderate in comparison to Wallace and Humphrey? Does Wallace feeling more pressure from Reagan go with Happy Chandler/Ezra Benson as his Running Mate? Is it more of an Law and Order campaign, with little details on Vietnam like Nixon in OTL? Or is there more of a focus on a return to Conservative values,with anti-hippie/anti-Great Society underlying message? How does the electoral map turn out?

Last edited:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh my God, Reagan would have LOVED being President when we reached the Moon in 1969. You know how in OTL everyone remembers "one small step for man ..."? ITTL, everyone would remember the speech that Reagan would give -- it would be a beauty. This is also one area where I think Reagan would have left the USA far ahead of where it turned out in OTL. Reagan understood how the US space program gave the Soviets a feeling of humiliation combined with terror. I think the result would be a much more carefully planned Skylab, funded and built for the long haul instead of just 3 missions.

He can win the nomination by undermining the party insiders who ignored their own voters. Reagan did that OTL '80, when he could point to Watergate and the '76 GOP collapse, but in '68 Nixon was still a shady bastard, and the GOP really ought to have known better.

I agree with the following additions. Reagan does not allow the truncation of the Apollo program (18, 19, 20 almost certainly flies) and maybe a follow on Apollo applications program centered on the Moon/space station. I could also see him doing a "Go to Mars" speech just in time for the 1972 election.

I agree with the following additions. Reagan does not allow the truncation of the Apollo program (18, 19, 20 almost certainly flies) and maybe a follow on Apollo applications program centered on the Moon/space station. I could also see him doing a "Go to Mars" speech just in time for the 1972 election.

Yeah, I do feel as if in the arena of Space Flight, Reagan would be able to keep up American Enthusiasm for further exploration of the moon via a continued Apollo Program. I need to do further research but If Nixon didn't let the NERVA rocket plan die(which was created by Vaun Braun), they may have made it to the moon via nuculear power.

Economically, if he goes as he did in the 80's, you'll see a massive deficit at the end of it. And, as Paul Volcker was the one that actually created the success of the economy in the 80's, not Reagan, if he doesn't have a comparable Chairmen of the FED, I suppose the economy will go down the tank as it did in the 70's OTL, with a kick in the face to boot.

Last edited:
Economically, if he goes as he did in the 80's, you'll see a massive deficit at the end of it. And, as Paul Volcker was the one that actually created the success of the economy in the 80's, not Reagan, if he doesn't have a comparable Chairmen of the FED, I suppose the economy will go down the tank as it did in the 70's OTL, with a kick in the face to boot.

Well, from earlier discussion, Reagan wouldn't have been a Supply sider in '68 as it was still a decade to early...Most likely economically he'd take more of an libertarian version of Ike's economic policy. I really can't see him dealing with it too differently than Nixon and Ford ITTL.

Had Ronald Reagan been elected President in 1968 I think we migh have seen a different and possibly earlier end to The Viet Nam War. My guess is perhaps an American military victory.

The relationship between Reagan and Soviet Premier Brezhnev would have probably been more strained or difficult than the relationship between Nixon and Brezhnev, though I think they would have learned to work together and US/Soviet relations might have been as productive as they wer under Nixon in OTL. However, I doubt Reagan would have reached out to Communist China as Nixon did.

One thing you have to give Richard Nixon. He understood and accepted the leaders of Communist countries as they were not as he wanted them to be, he was a realist about Communism and Communists. He dealt with Communist countries such as The Soviet Union as they really were. Reagan elected in 1980 did not do that. Reagan elected in 1968 would not have either. We would have lost that had Nixon not been elected President in 1968 as he was in OTL.

On domestic issues Nixon turned out to be more of a moderate than a conservative. Even then Reagan was for smaller government, so I'm not sure Reagan would have given us The Environmental Protection Agency and given us 55 MPH speed limits during the oil crisis as Nixon did.

Reagan elected in 1968 also means no Watergate. One of the results of Watergate was that Americans learned to not trust our government and that sense of not trusting government lasted a long long time. Some of American's mistrust of government today still goes back to Watergate. Had Ronald Reagan been elected President in 1968 instead of Nixon, we would not have had that legacy of American's mistrusting our government.

Had Ronald Reagan been elected President in 1968 I think we migh have seen a different and possibly earlier end to The Viet Nam War. My guess is perhaps an American military victory.

The relationship between Reagan and Soviet Premier Brezhnev would have probably been more strained or difficult than the relationship between Nixon and Brezhnev, though I think they would have learned to work together and US/Soviet relations might have been as productive as they wer under Nixon in OTL. However, I doubt Reagan would have reached out to Communist China as Nixon did.

One thing you have to give Richard Nixon. He understood and accepted the leaders of Communist countries as they were not as he wanted them to be, he was a realist about Communism and Communists. He dealt with Communist countries such as The Soviet Union as they really were. Reagan elected in 1980 did not do that. Reagan elected in 1968 would not have either. We would have lost that had Nixon not been elected President in 1968 as he was in OTL.

On domestic issues Nixon turned out to be more of a moderate than a conservative. Even then Reagan was for smaller government, so I'm not sure Reagan would have given us The Environmental Protection Agency and given us 55 MPH speed limits during the oil crisis as Nixon did.

Reagan elected in 1968 also means no Watergate. One of the results of Watergate was that Americans learned to not trust our government and that sense of not trusting government lasted a long long time. Some of American's mistrust of government today still goes back to Watergate. Had Ronald Reagan been elected President in 1968 instead of Nixon, we would not have had that legacy of American's mistrusting our government.

All very true concepts that I will have to take into account when working on TTL. But if annyone can help me out with those questions I posted before

But I am wondering how might Reagan/Insert Rockerfeller Republican running mate ticket will run during the 1968 General Election? Does Reagan run as a moderate in comparison to Wallace and Humphrey? Does Wallace feeling more pressure from Reagan go with Happy Chandler/Ezra Benson as his Running Mate? Is it more of an Law and Order campaign, with little details on Vietnam like Nixon in OTL? Or is there more of a focus on a return to Conservative values,with anti-hippie/anti-Great Society underlying message? How does the electoral map turn out?

I would Greatly appreciate it...:D

Because of The Viet Nam War, I think Bobby Kennedy might have been the only Democrat who could have been elected President in 1968. Had Bobby Kennedy lived I think he would have gotten the Democratic nomination in 1968 but I'm not sure even his chances would have been all that good in the general election that Fall.

After Bobby Kennedy was assassinated, then given the fiasco that was The Democratic Convention in 68, I think almost anyone the Republicans nominated would have been elected President in 68. That convention just destroyed the Democrat's chances in 68.

You mentioned George Wallace and who his running mate might have been. Wallace was never a real factor. To most Americans Wallace was too racist, Too bigotted, too narrow minded, and too dangerous. His campaign rallies became race riots the police had to breakup. Then he was shot and very seriously wounded, in a wheelchair the rest of his life. Never a contender who would have gotten anywhere.

Because of The Viet Nam War, I think Bobby Kennedy might have been the only Democrat who could have been elected President in 1968. Had Bobby Kennedy lived I think he would have gotten the Democratic nomination in 1968 but I'm not sure even his chances would have been all that good in the general election that Fall.

After Bobby Kennedy was assassinated, then given the fiasco that was The Democratic Convention in 68, I think almost anyone the Republicans nominated would have been elected President in 68. That convention just destroyed the Democrat's chances in 68.

You mentioned George Wallace and who his running mate might have been. Wallace was never a real factor. To most Americans Wallace was too racist, Too bigotted, too narrow minded, and too dangerous. His campaign rallies became race riots the police had to breakup. Then he was shot and very seriously wounded, in a wheelchair the rest of his life. Never a contender who would have gotten anywhere.

All very good points that I will have to consider :D

Bobby had a few things going for him that would have greatly helped him in the general election.
1. He's a Kennedy people were still getting over the assassination of JFK and the name was at the time synonymous with being a good leader.
2. Bobby would have set up a grass roots campaign very similar to that of what Obama ran in the 08 election. Bobby was very good at running campaigns and very good at getting people unlikely to vote to actually vote. Best example is JFK's first campaign for his house seat Bobby got a bunch of people from a protestant district of boston (which was very anti catholic) to vote for JFK.
3. Bobby's was very concerned with the conditions of poor people and black people. He was someone who transcended race and class. They would've turned out in droves to vote for him.
4. Debating. Bobby was an amazing talker and debater. He would've run circles around Nixon and the other opponents.
5. Bobby along with McCarthy were very anti war and proposed to immediately withdraw from Vietnam. That would have gotten him a good amount of votes in states that McCarthy ran very weak in.
6. Bobby's way of speaking was very similar to Obama's now. People just believed what he said and wanted to help make what he said would happen a reality. I mean just look at the speech he gave the night Martin Luther King Jr. was killed. The crowd that had gathered to hear him campaign was predominately black and had no clue of the assassination. RFK's staff begged him to cancel the event for fear of a riot. Instead Bobby told the crowd what had happened and simply begged them to not overreact. Indianapolis was the only major city to not experience a riot that night.
I can honestly see Bobby winning similar states to JFK. I think it might be a little harder for him to win but then again Bobby's campaign command abilities along with his ability to just make people believe in him and what he's saying, i think he pulls it out. Though Nixon probably works a lot harder in the campaign because he still feels the embarrassment from losing to Jack and Bobby the first time.

Last edited:
Ok Everyone, here my first crack at this timeline based on atl 1968 scenario...Rick Perlstein's Nixonland proved extremley helpful in my research of the POD used to get this bird off the ground. Understand that this is just the prelude, and a larger installment on the General Election and the electoral results are comming up real soon. Im looking forward to any and all comments

Out of the Blue…: A President Reagan in ’68 Timeline
Written by Austin Ross

“Gosh, I was surprised…It all came out of the blue.” Governor Ronald W. Reagan at the Republican Convention in Miami.

Tricky Dick Nixon and his supporters began to get nervous as things in Miami slowly began to unravel after Gov. Reagan announced his candidacy for the President of the United States to a voracious crowd of delegates. Before the former Vice President even knew it, the nomination slowly slipped though his fingers as the charismatic, 1st term Governor won over the Southern Delegates. It had to do with the Southern delegations unit rules, which held that if a majority of the delegation voted for a candidate, the candidate won the delegation unanimously. Cliff White, a close friend of Reagan’s and campaign manager, was able to reign in commitments from the chairs of the Mississippi, Florida, Louisiana and Georgia delegations…and after Reagan personally asked each delegate to put him in over the top, using his charm, acting skills, and telling them not to worry about Strom Thurmond, who would eventually come around was able to confirm each commitments from the old Confederacy.

After doing this Reagan then moved in onto the South Carolina delegation and Senator Strom Thurmond himself. The Governor was able to remind him that he was his first choice to receive the nomination and told the old Senator to follow his heart. Thurmond after receiving confirmation that Reagan would follow up on his pet project on Antiballistic missile systems, called Nixon to inform that he was withdrawing support and to expect the other Southern Delegations to do the same.

Upon receiving that call Nixon knew that between himself, Rockefeller and Reagan, he would not receive enough delegates to win on the first ballot and that Ronald Reagan would eventually clinch the nomination. This knowledge soon became truth, after several rounds of balloting with Rockefeller dropping out of first, only telling his delegates to endorse Reagan after word got out that the old trouper would choose the moderate Governor John A. Volpe of Massachuesetts as his running mate. Bitter, at yet another campaign loss, Nixon finally conceded to the inevitable and endorsed Governor Reagan to become the Republican Party’s nominee for the 1968 General Election.

His impromptu nomination speech would be focused on a need for unity for both the party and the nation for healing but it would also stress the need for new kind of politics, leadership and ideas. All of which is reinforced into the three way race, that the Gipper would face in the fall.

c

Last edited:
I'll be watching this one...

It'll be interesting to see where it goes.

Thanks for the reply, I hope I don't dissapoint:D...btw I decided to change Ronny's running mate to Governor John A. Volpe, whom after further research(Thurmond gave Nixon the the thumbs up to chose him in OTL) and perhaps Javits was just to liberal for the Southern delegates to handle.

Ok everyone, here is the next installment over the General election of 1968 and the final electoral results. I hope you all enjoy:D

We few, We Happy few: The 1968 General Election and its results.

Ronald Reagan, following his successful “Stop Nixon” entered the 1968 General Election riding on a wave of enthusiasm from his supporters not seen since before Bobby Kennedy’s assassination. Electorally, Reagan and his staff believed that he could already count on the votes from the West Coast and the Midwest. However, the gipper could be in a fight in the South and the Industrial Northeast in order to receive the threshold of 270 electoral votes. To help Reagan in the Northeast was his running mate, the 61st & 63rd Governor of Massachusetts…John A. Volpe. Although, many pundits began to turn a deaf ear to the ticket due to a significant lack of foreign experience, many Working Class Whites and Urban Blacks slowly began to warm up to Volpe on the campaign stump as he reminded voters of some of his past achievements as Governor. The modern Horatio Agler, a term coined by Reagan, soon became known across the nation for his support of ethics regulations, campaign finance reports, education reform and increases in public housing for lower income families.

Yet as the Governor’s stock began to rise in the North, his poll numbers began to dip slightly in the South enough so that if forced Reagan to do a new Southern tour. He was able to reassure voters that he will keep the promises made to their delegates in Miami, restoration to Law and Order and strikes a chord during a campaign speech in Hope, Arkansas when he announced that “Programs like education and others should be turned back to the states and local communities with the tax sources to fund them. I believe in states’ rights. I believe in people doing as much as they can at the community level and the private level." He also focus most of his attacks during his southern tour on George Wallace, as someone who couldn’t possibly win in the electoral candidate and as someone who plays to peoples fears/not to their hopes.

The Vice-President had the unfortunate opportunity of being the lightening rod for what all was seen wrong with the Johnson administration. He promised to expand the Great Society and continue the “War on Poverty” started by LBJ as well as a continuation of the expansion of civil rights for minority groups. However, the happy warrior felt as if he could not voice any opposition to the Vietnam War as any peace proposal would be shot down by the 36th President. All of which would be reiterated by Ronald Reagan, who frequently quoted a late August Time Magazine article that “The old Democratic coalition was disintegrating, with untold numbers of blue-collar workers responding to Wallace's blandishments, Negroes threatening to sit out the election, liberals disaffected over the Viet Nam War, the South lost. The war chest was almost empty, and the party's machinery, neglected by Lyndon Johnson, creaked in disrepair.”

All three ideologies would be seen nationally in contrast to each other on a sole Presidential debate broadcast in late October. All of the candidates would stick to their guns, but Reagan is seen as the winner of the debate as he made clear of his opposition to Earl Warren’s Supreme Court, He would also plan to end the draft as soon a true victory became within sights. Humphrey attempts to showcase Reagan as an ultra light weight Goldwaterite floundered but he successfully portrayed Wallace as a racist bigot further cementing his decline with union workers in the North and the Midwest. One of the most memorable lines of the debate came from the gipper, when after Humphrey makes a rather long winded comparison between his GOP opponent’s relatively short records to his long tenure in the Senate, Reagan replies back to Humphrey “There you go again Mr. Vice President…”

Although this would greatly boost Reagan’s image to the American people, it would be an “October Surprise” which featured President Johnson announcing of a bombing halt and even a peace deal possibly by the weekend before the election, which would through the election into a toss up by election night. The Reagan/Volpe campaign used their communication skills and a new friend in former Rockefeller ally Henry Kissinger to be able to stall the South Vietnamese from making any peace talk until January under a new administration. President Nguyen Van Thieu obliged, thus stunting the surmounting Humphrey candidacy.

By election night, November 5th, 1968 with the results proved to be extremely tight. Ronald Reagan and John Volpe with their families, closet advisors and staff all nervously watched the returns come in at the Governor’s mansion in Sacramento. On the East coast, Reagan lost a majority of the states including Maine, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maryland, and the District of Columbia all remain in the Democratic column. Humphrey would also barely squeeze by Reagan in Governor Volpe’s home state of Massachusetts on a razor thin margin. However the picking of a Rockefeller Republican was not totally in vain as Reagan was able to pick up the states of New Hampshire, Vermont, New Jersey, and Delaware.

In the Industrial states, the Vice President work to win back the labor unions and use them as his base was proven to be a largely successful strategy as he won both the states of Pennsylvania and Michigan on fairly comfortable margins. Humphrey would also gain Ohio’s precious 26 electoral votes in a razor thin win over Reagan. Yet the Happy Warrior lost the state of Indiana to Reagan by a wide margin and lost the state of Illinois in a heartbreaker.

The third-party candidate George Wallace’s hope of forcing the election to the House of Representatives soon became dashed as the results from the South came pouring in and it became evident that Wallace and Reagan effectively split the conservative vote. Reagan’s campaign became invigorated as he won the states of Kentucky, Virginia and Florida all on very comfortable margins. The gipper would also bring Tennessee, The Carolinas and surprisingly the state of Arkansas on very slim margins into the GOP column. Although the Reagan/Volpe campaign had hoped for a surprise victory in Texas, it would be Hubert Humphrey who would come away with its 25 electoral votes. Wallace, once the favorite son of the old Confederacy, only gains the states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia and his home state of Alabama.

Humphrey would only with the states of Minnesota and just barely in Wisconsin as Ronald Reagan swept all of the Midwestern states, just as his campaign managers had predicted. Yet as the results slowly came in for the West Coast, the electoral count stood at Reagan 221, Humphrey 216, and Wallace at 39. Word soon came into Sacramento that California was going to be really close and that the governor very well might loose his home state. It worried the gipper so much that he had prepared his concession speech and told Cliff White’s fifteen year old daughter, who was disconsolate at the possibility of a Reagan loss, “Carole, the good Lord knows what He is doing. This might not be out turn.”

The feeling of uncertainty was felt by all Americans, who had to wait until the next morning to hear the final count and just exactly who would their next president be. It soon became apparent when Vice President Humphrey only picked up the states of Washington and Hawaii and that not only did Ronald Reagan secure his home state of California precious 40 electoral votes, but he also picked up the states of Oregon and Alaska as well. The former B movie star and 1st term Governor was on January 20th, 1969 to become the 37th President of the United States…with the final electoral vote count at Reagan with 270, Humphrey with 229 and with Wallace placing a distant third with 39 electoral votes.

genusmap.php

Things to keep in mind.

OTL Reagan pushed through the largest tax increase (% terms) in California history. If he wants to pay for a bigger space program, winning the Viet Nam war, and military reform—he's going to raise taxes.

May I suggest Pat Buchanan for a speechwriter? He was Nixon's, IOTL, and since Peggy Noonan isn't around yet Reagan's speeches will need some work.

The Negative Income Tax. If, unlike Nixon, Reagan can get a deal with the NIT that involves eliminating welfare and cutting back other government aid he'll probably be willing to pass it.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan. Get him as the token Democrat in Reagan's administration, and give him some real power. He might be the only powerful figure around with a clear idea in how to try and fix urban areas, help the northern/urban black population, dismantle the useless parts of the Great Society while beefing up the good parts, and so forth.

Furthermore Moynihan at this point in time has an ideology that agrees with the neoconservative critique[1] of America but he has much better ideas.

Unions. If the US government were to bring in the NIT, the need for pensions and healthcare liabilities by US heavy industry would be reduced. In exchange for dropping some demands on that (which would make corporations happy, and hence increase Republican monetary support) the unions could probably get something that helps them long term—higher unionization, even let's say accidentally, would strengthen the American middle class.

A stronger middle class and the NIT might even stave off the tax revolt (beginning with Prop 13 in '78 California OTL) and besides saving California from eventual ruin might side-step the whole supply-side voodoo economics[2] issue.

Viet Nam. As I tend to argue the US can indeed win in Viet Nam. It is, however, probably a bad idea. But if public opinion can be turned around the effective destruction of the Vietcong during Tet, the use of proper counter-insurgency tactics, General Creighton Abrams himself, and so on… while, sure, one can "win" the Viet Nam War.

Space. Defund Apollo, and shove it all towards a permanent space station built using the Saturn V. That's the sensible solution. I have no idea what Reagan would do.

[1] At this point in time neoconservatives had a generally correct critique of the United States on domestic issues, but were coming up with a lot of bad solutions. See E.J. Dionne, Jr's book Why Americans Hate Politics for a huge amount of useful background. Keep in mind he does not use the modern "neoconservative=Wilsonian foreign policy" usage.

[2] Bush 41 was, of course, entirely correct. Supply-side economics (the idea that reducing taxes on the rich will increase total tax revenue) doesn't work. However the smaller ideas of supply-side—that marginal rates were too high—was probably correct.

It couldn't have and wouldn't have happened. He didn't even campaign

You are entirely wrong, thanks for playing. Please read Nixonland and An American Melodrama as while as this thread and related threads. Then, if you still hold your view, come back and actually argue it.

Things to keep in mind.

OTL Reagan pushed through the largest tax increase (% terms) in California history. If he wants to pay for a bigger space program, winning the Viet Nam war, and military reform—he's going to raise taxes.

May I suggest Pat Buchanan for a speechwriter? He was Nixon's, IOTL, and since Peggy Noonan isn't around yet Reagan's speeches will need some work.

The Negative Income Tax. If, unlike Nixon, Reagan can get a deal with the NIT that involves eliminating welfare and cutting back other government aid he'll probably be willing to pass it.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan. Get him as the token Democrat in Reagan's administration, and give him some real power. He might be the only powerful figure around with a clear idea in how to try and fix urban areas, help the northern/urban black population, dismantle the useless parts of the Great Society while beefing up the good parts, and so forth.

Furthermore Moynihan at this point in time has an ideology that agrees with the neoconservative critique[1] of America but he has much better ideas.

Unions. If the US government were to bring in the NIT, the need for pensions and healthcare liabilities by US heavy industry would be reduced. In exchange for dropping some demands on that (which would make corporations happy, and hence increase Republican monetary support) the unions could probably get something that helps them long term—higher unionization, even let's say accidentally, would strengthen the American middle class.

A stronger middle class and the NIT might even stave off the tax revolt (beginning with Prop 13 in '78 California OTL) and besides saving California from eventual ruin might side-step the whole supply-side voodoo economics[2] issue.

Viet Nam. As I tend to argue the US can indeed win in Viet Nam. It is, however, probably a bad idea. But if public opinion can be turned around the effective destruction of the Vietcong during Tet, the use of proper counter-insurgency tactics, General Creighton Abrams himself, and so on… while, sure, one can "win" the Viet Nam War.

Space. Defund Apollo, and shove it all towards a permanent space station built using the Saturn V. That's the sensible solution. I have no idea what Reagan would do.

[1] At this point in time neoconservatives had a generally correct critique of the United States on domestic issues, but were coming up with a lot of bad solutions. See E.J. Dionne, Jr's book Why Americans Hate Politics for a huge amount of useful background. Keep in mind he does not use the modern "neoconservative=Wilsonian foreign policy" usage.

[2] Bush 41 was, of course, entirely correct. Supply-side economics (the idea that reducing taxes on the rich will increase total tax revenue) doesn't work. However the smaller ideas of supply-side—that marginal rates were too high—was probably correct.

You are entirely wrong, thanks for playing. Please read Nixonland and An American Melodrama as while as this thread and related threads. Then, if you still hold your view, come back and actually argue it.

Thanks for the help Electric, I did find myself kinda stuck on some of the economic issues when doing my research for TTL...My biggest problem is trying to figure out what kinda role will the Monetarist economist Milton Friedman have ITTL. He was one of Reagan's economic advisors in OTL and I do believe some of the policy ideas(esp involving the NIT) fit so well with this earlier Reagan. So the questions is really, where could Friedman possibly have the most impact as Treasury Secretary or as Chairman of the Fed(following William McChesney Martin, Jr retirement in 1970? I just think Friedman would be the best person during this era to break down Reagan's Big Picture vison into actual numbers to put a price tag on it.

Also, any other Ideas for some possible cabinent appointments? Im thinking he would bring Dick Nixon back on board for Secretary of State to make sure he doesn't try to upsurp him in '72? I also could see Reagan bringing Pat as Speechwriter, but does that help Reagan try to convince the American People that another "Surge" of ground troops in Vietnam will secure victory?