Maid of Norway, Queen of Scotland: A Plantagenet Britain Timeline

Elsbeth’s face was washed with delight before she turned to whisper in Mary’s ear as well, giggling at the end of her words. “Edmund Fitzalan.”
So one of Margaret's closest friends and confidants will wed the future Earl of Arundel that was the historical guy who along with his companions took the power from Edward II and banished Gaveston, while Gaveston himself will arrive soon in this story...

Oh dear.

So one of Margaret's closest friends and confidants will wed the future Earl of Arundel that was the historical guy who along with his companions took the power from Edward II and banished Gaveston, while Gaveston himself will arrive soon in this story...

Oh dear.
You can Say that again. Hopefully Ned Will be better

Perhaps, it will be easier if we bring along a companion for the young prince, to keep him company in the moments unfit for innocent eyes,” William de Grandison suggested. His father looked at him.
“Do you have one in mind?” the King asked.

“Arnaud de Gabaston has a boy around the Prince’s age,” William said. “Piers, I think is his name.”

The King smirked. “Well, we are already in Gascony, are we not?” he asked. “Send out a rider to fetch this Piers. If he is anything like his father, he will be a great example to my son.”

Édouard felt a smile curl up his mouth at the promise of a friend. He hadn’t had one in quite a long time.
Well I’m sure that this can only end up well 🙃

VV (rip) when I asked if he thought Edmund could marry a Scottish lady, he said "Yeah. Mary Bruce would be a good candidate" without me mentioning her by name, so you know he approves, wherever he is now.
Sigh… I miss him too. The marriage is sensible yeah

Well I’m sure that this can only end up well 🙃

Sigh… I miss him too. The marriage is sensible yeah
Good chapter @pandizzy. We cannot have the issues of OTL between Edward II and Piers Gaveston, no favoritism for him, the only favorite Edward needs is Queen Margaret 😤😤😤.
Whether favouritism is an issue depends entirely on what the king himself does. Having his own CoA displayed at the king’s wedding instead of the queen’s was simply impossible unless the King himself was alright with it. A king needs a creature of his own in order to have a personal enforcer. It’s problem though if said enforcer who is meant to solve problems for you turns into a problem instead due to outrageous behaviour. As long as Edward is sensible with how much love he showers Gaveston,and reigns him in when he crosses the line, it might not turn out the way it did. If Edward himself was the problem all along, there could easily be a Piers De Bruce, Piers Neville, Piers de Beauchamp etc.Different person, same result. Which was the case with the replacement of Gaveston with the Despensers.It’s also worthwhile to note that a corrupt minister under an incompetent king may turn out to be a hyper-competent minister under a competent king, vice versa.

Last edited:
Will you still miss him when you find out he told me Edouard and Margaret's children should be known as 'of Wales' while their dad isn't king of England yet?

(They can't be known as 'of Scotland' because that's not their dad's kingdom.)
Yeah, I would… Although it’s not the most fortunate take that one

Oh dear.
This was my thinking too!

Will you still miss him when you find out he told me Edouard and Margaret's children should be known as 'of Wales' while their dad isn't king of England yet?

But when Ned does become king i assume the kids will be known as "of England and Scotland"

Where are they actually born? Fairly certain that an actual kingdom would take precedence over a mere principality. Furthermore, there’s more than enough cases of kids being named after [insert mother’s kingdom] over their father’s fief. Joan of Navarre‘s kids for instance were all named ‘of Navarre’ instead of ‘of Evreux’.

Where are they actually born? Fairly certain that an actual kingdom would take precedence over a mere principality. Furthermore, there’s more than enough cases of kids being named after [insert mother’s kingdom] over their father’s fief. Joan of Navarre‘s kids for instance were all named ‘of Navarre’ instead of ‘of Evreux’.
Ahem. Joanna I of Castile and Philip of Austria's children were named 'of Austria', even the one born during her mother's reign, baby Catherine.
The children of Queen Eleanor of Navarre were known as 'of Foix' after their father's holdings.
Catherine of Aragon and her siblings (including Joanna before she came to the throne) were known as 'of Aragon' even though their mother's kingdom was larger and richer.

Ahem. Joanna I of Castile and Philip of Austria's children were named 'of Austria', even the one born during her mother's reign, baby Catherine.
The children of Queen Eleanor of Navarre were known as 'of Foix' after their father's holdings.
Catherine of Aragon and her siblings (including Joanna before she came to the throne) were known as 'of Aragon' even though their mother's kingdom was larger and richer.
There is a case to be had that they should be known as 'of England' since that's where their paternal grandfather rules (Philip of Austria, for example, never ruled Austria himself since first his grandfather than his father were alive and Maximilian outlived his only son). But VV said it should be either 'of Wales' or 'of England' beyond the whole 'of Birthplace' in which case it should be of Edinburgh, for example, for a child born in Edinburgh.

There is a case to be had that they should be known as 'of England' since that's where their paternal grandfather rules (Philip of Austria, for example, never ruled Austria himself since first his grandfather than his father were alive and Maximilian outlived his only son). But VV said it should be either 'of Wales' or 'of England' beyond the whole 'of Birthplace' in which case it should be of Edinburgh, for example, for a child born in Edinburgh.
I agree. Either birthplace - John of Gaunt, for example, or father's title - of Wales for the Prince of Wales 's children. Just think of George, Charlotte and Louis when the Queen died. They went through three appellations in a day!

(Which was a shame - 'Of Cornwall and Cambridge' sounded beautiful ❤️)

There is a difference between the house (always the paternal one) and the title…

“of Foix”, “of Albret”, “of Austria”, “of Aragon”, “of Anjou”, “of Burgundy”, “of Orleans”, “of Angouleme” were used as house names …. Eleanor of Navarre’s children were born when she was neither queen or heiress… then they got the double use as Foix (house name) or Navarre (land)… that happened also with Charles V’s descendants (who were of Austria NOT Habsburg (as we would call them) more often than of Spain)

Last edited:
There is a difference between the house (always the paternal one) and the title…

“of Foix”, “of Albret”, “of Austria”, “of Aragon”, “of Anjou”, “of Burgundy”, “of Orleans”, “of Angouleme” were used as house names …. Eleanor of Navarre’s children were born when she was neither queen or heiress… then they got the double use as Foix (house name) or Navarre (land)… that happened also with Charles V’s descendants (who were of Austria NOT Habsburg (as we would call them) more often than of Spain)
When was 'Of Aragon' used as a house name for Catherine of Aragon and her siblings. The family was from Castile.

When was 'Of Aragon' used as a house name for Catherine of Aragon and her siblings. The family was from Castile.
All the male line descendants of Ferdinand I of Aragon used the “of Aragon” as house name (like the descendants of Alfonso V of Aragon in Naples, illegitimate but recognized, who were all “of Aragon“ or “of Aragon - x” not “of Castile” or “Trastamara”).

All the male line descendants of Ferdinand I of Aragon used the “of Aragon” as house name (like the descendants of Alfonso V of Aragon in Naples, illegitimate but recognized, who were all “of Aragon“ or “of Aragon - x” not “of Castile” or “Trastamara”).
Oh yeah I forgot about that.