Lands of Red and Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendryk

Banned
Sometimes yams and murnong are boiled in water and then pounded into a paste-like porridge called benong which can be eaten alone or with soup [1].
Sounds somewhat like African foutou, a thick paste made from mashed bananas and ground cassava. I hear it has the color and consistency of mastic, but is quite nourishing.

In keeping with their non-linear view of time, the Gunnagal see creation as a continuous, ongoing process.
Sounds like they may have interesting philosophical conversation with Taoist scholars if the chance arises.

corourke

Donor
This is really great.

It would be cool to have a civilization be set up by colonizers around the area of OTL Perth. This civilization would be pretty isolated if the colonizing civilization were to fall (I'm thinking about Tyre - Carthage analogue, more or less), and could develop on its own into quite a different type of society.

Very interesting. A quite informative post. I didn't know about the fungus or the sea celery.

There were a suprising number of Australian plants (and fungi) which were wild harvested and consumed, and sometimes cultivated, in the early colonial days. They weren't domesticated for various reasons, mostly because with better transportation, domesticated Eurasian crops were easier to use than going to the trouble of domesticating new plants. Some of the cultivated Australian plants were kept around for a good long while, though. (At least two even made it to Britain.)

I wonder what comes next? :)

We-ell... The Formative Gunnagal have some problems.

I HATE cliffhangers. :mad::p:D

Don't worry, post #6 ends on a cliffhanger of sorts, too. So might #7, although I'm still reworking the finish of that one.

On the plus side, the posts after #7 won't be in the cliffhanger style. Post #8 is the broad-scale overview of Australasia as it is in 1618, on the eve of European contact. After that come detailed posts on the various societies which have developed within Australasia. Then on to the actual contact with Europeans.

But its a very nice and though out civilization you've created. And this is only the Formative stage of their civilization. There is still the Classical (and whatever follows it) stage to come.

The Classical stage of the civilization will be shown in some, although not exhaustive, detail. What happens after that will actually be shown in retrospect. I'll be showing how the Gunnagal and their descendant civilizations have ended up as of 1618, but not so much how they got from one to the other. (Mostly because if I try to show all of it, I'll get so bogged down in the details that it will take another two or three years before I even get to writing about 1618.)

I wonder though, how such a sytem (the kitjigal) would be created. It seems to me that blood is thicker than tattoo ink, so to speak.

It's a direct lift from the various Aboriginal kinship group systems which existed in OTL. The kitjigal are just a fusion of some of the various moieties which existed in Aboriginal Australian societies. Polonopedia has a reasonable summary of the system here.

Especially in the case of war: not fighting an enemy who is killing your familiy members or citizens from your town, just because he has the same color of tattoo? That's a bit hard to swallow from a Western perspective.

From a Western perspective, it probably is, but the Gunnagal don't think from a Western perspective. :) The thing to remember is that the kitjigal are a whole social-religious system. Each kitjigal is not seen as being wholly separate from each other; they are perceived as all being related, one way or another. A son refers to all members of his father's kitjigal of that generation as "father", for instance. And there are differing degrees of kinship for all of the kitjigal. Men of some kitjigal will not speak with women of some other kitjigal, which is a taboo of respect; the "proper" way to go about such things is to use a woman of the appropriate kitjigal as an intermediary. Since they see themselves as being reincarnated, they see the whole thing as a cycle, too.

In terms of having kinship groups refusing to fight each other, that happened amongst Aboriginal peoples. It also happened amongst some of the Amerindian warrior societies. Of course, these sort of prohibitions probably won't last forever. But at the time of the Formative Gunnagal, they still don't have anything of a sense of nationhood, and their view of the purpose of the military is not anything like a modern one. Warriors aren't fighting for their king or their city; they're fighting for individual honour and reputation. Even warfare between cities is not a matter of vital survival (yet).

On the other hand, the fact each (fe)male has offspring of a different kitjigal is a very elegant system. It makes sure that on average all the 'clans' have roughly the same size, while for family-based clans like in the west, some groups can become larger and thus more dominating.

Considering this, the kitjigal are probably created by the priest class to create a more harmnious society?

Just heritage from their hunter-gatherer ancestors. In small-band socities like that one, having these sorts of social groups made a lot of sense. Thinking of yourself as related to people in neighbouring peoples meant that in hard times, you could go elsewhere and still get supported, for instance. The social system persisted into the agricultural and then urban periods, although it's already changed a lot, and will evolve further over time.

Genius!

Very well thought-out, original, and colorful. Love the cultural info...such is far too lacking in most TLs, so it's great to get a good dose here.

Thanks. I do try...

How much is based on OTL Aboriginal culture and how much is made up, inferred, or analogous to elsewhere?

The kitjigal/ kinship groups, the ball-game, the social institution of elders (although not Councils) are all taken from a combination of various Aboriginal cultures. The religion is inspired by various belief systems of Aboriginal peoples, although it's not a direct analogue to any of them. The hunting practice of creating rangelands (by burning) is likewise taken directly from OTL Aboriginal peoples. The wetland system is directly inspired by what the Gunditjmara did around Lake Condah in OTL. Most of the details of how they cook yams and wattleseeds are actually adapted from the way yams and wattleseeds are used in various parts of West Africa. The use of murnong and the various spices is mostly taken from flavourings used in OTL. The early invention of "yam chips" is something I just made up, because it sounded like fun.

Interesting cultural synopsis, as Geekhis pointed out, not too many TLs cover this.

I figured that it would be useful for understanding how Australia ends up in 1618. The social institutions of the Gunnagal have evolved from this into, well... what they end up. The legacy of the Gunnagal is going to be spread widely, although not all of the later culture are descended directly from the Gunnagal.

Wow, great update Jared. I like how you set up the societies different cities. I liked the religion and politics portions, very original and very illuminating.

I am somewhat confused about the sustainabilty of the kitjigal system. I'm not sure how a mother would raise a child of a different kitjigal if there seems to be such social divisions between the kitjigal. It would be difficul to raise families with such diverse kitjigal within them.

As mentioned above, it comes straight from what Aboriginal peoples did in OTL. They had the same sort of social system, with anywhere from two to eight moieties (skin groups). The important thing about the kitjigal is that it's not a system of all-out rivalry with each other. It's a social system where everyone is seen as related, but some more closely than others.

Also, you've read Diamond's book Collaspe, right? Im guessing there are going to be shades of that in the next post if I'm not mistaken by the cliffhanger...

I haven't actually read Collapse. I have read Guns, Germs and Steel (several times), although my copy is now buried somewhere at the bottom of many boxes of books. I more or less gave up on Diamond after trying to make it through The Third Chimpanzee. He raises some interesting points, but he's rather one-sided on his pet theories, to say the least. The contradictions and omissions in GGS were ones I could live with, but I thought that he became rather worse as he went along. Even GGS didn't actually have much that was new, but it was a useful fusion of information which is otherwise scattered over a couple of dozen other sources.

The kitjigal sounds incredibly confusing. Is this a system that exists in real life or have you taken an existing system and embellished it? It reminds me a bit of the Iroquis kinship system... thingy... I remember reading about in The Two Georges.

It is quite confusing, but it's taken from historical Aboriginal kinship systems. Some of them had up to eight kinship groups, including symbolic associations with totems. The closest version to the one I've developed comes from the Lardiil people, but there were a whole host of different kinship systems, depending on which Aboriginal people were involved.

Do the kitjigal have any functions other than a sort of kinship system? I can see that this could eventually develop into a sort of caste system, especially if one becomes much more wealth than the others - by means of a new technological discovery, perhaps, or a war where they become dominant?

The kitjigal are going to evolve in various ways amongst the various descendant cultures of the Gunnagal. Some will indeed develop into a caste system, although others will go in different directions.

Also, given their views on time, what are their views on deities (if any) and the afterlife?

Their general view of the afterlife is that it's just this life, happening over and over again. They believe in reincarnation and life moving in cycles. People who are "between times" move to the Evertime, where they are more or less alive, but not really very active. They will be reborn in time - into the proper kitjigal (at least in the existing version of their religion).

The Gunnagal don't have a word which translates directly into "god", although they certainly believe in a whole host of spiritual beings of greater and lesser power. The greater ones are believed to be responsible for the various aspects of creation (or recreation, really) of the various parts of nature, but no one being is responsible for everything. One of the jobs of the elders is to deal with the various beings... lesser ones can be driven out or bargained with, greater ones need to be approached respectfully if at all.

Nice work Jared, keep it up.

Merci.

Really great update,, can't wait for the next one!:)

Left us at a cliffhanger though. I think that the Gunnagal will collapse, but I have no idea why.:confused:

There are a couple of hints in that post as to what will happen next, but there's a few other important details which I haven't mentioned yet. All will be made clear.

Sounds somewhat like African foutou, a thick paste made from mashed bananas and ground cassava. I hear it has the color and consistency of mastic, but is quite nourishing.

That's exactly where the inspiration came from. The main name I heard of is fufu (the Armenian Genocide lists foofoo, foufou, foutou or fu fu as variations on the same theme). Yams are used to make fufu/foutou in parts of West Africa, and I figured that something similar would be developed here. And incidentally, cultivated wattle seeds are pounded into flour and added to the mix in some parts of West Africa (mostly Niger and Senegal); this is where I got the idea of using domesticated wattles in the first place.

Sounds like they may have interesting philosophical conversation with Taoist scholars if the chance arises.

They would certainly have some fun things to talk about. The Gunnagal religion is inspired by a variety of sources, mostly various Aboriginal belief systems, but a couple of ideas which came from Taoism and Jainism, too.

This is really great.

It would be cool to have a civilization be set up by colonizers around the area of OTL Perth. This civilization would be pretty isolated if the colonizing civilization were to fall (I'm thinking about Tyre - Carthage analogue, more or less), and could develop on its own into quite a different type of society.

There is certainly going to be a civilization which arises in south-western Australia, and it will be relatively isolated from the rest of Australia for most of its development. (Essentially, crops spread, but people mostly don't.) There was even a brief excerpt about them as part of the prologue; this will be where the Dutch first make contact. What they discover there will be, well... something quite unlike what they've heard of anywhere before.

The kitjigal sounds incredibly confusing.

Think this is confusing? You should check out the Natchez Social Hierarchy system some time! ;)

Just imagine kitjigal combined with Egyptian Pharoh hierarchy combined with a four-tier India-style caste system ("Suns" (royal/divine), "Nobles", "Honored", and (I shit thee not) "Stinkards") where higher tiers must marry "below their station", yet over time by various rules higher-tier families are "demoted" to a lower tier in order to maintain the balance in numbers. :eek:

The Sandman

Banned
Sounds good so far, and I do like the colors thing. The question I have relates to the emu: will they be domesticated at some point, perhaps as a response to their increasing scarcity in the wild?

Also, would the development of agriculture and the resulting changes to the biological landscape have any long-term effects on the climate of Australia? In particular, would it change the situation with respect to water?

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
Fantastic (I love the descriptions of the food most people just leave things like that out of the TLs. It is the little details that make a TL that much more real), one question have you ever eaten Beefsteak fungus (Fistulina hepatica)? What does it taste like?

Great TL!!! Excellent descriptions!!! I'm sure you must have done a lot of research for this.

There's just something I'd like to point out, and it's related to the notion of originality, or the appearence of new ideas or innovations.

Many pople see the formation of a civilization as a process involving several "steps": 1) agriculture & domestication of animals; 2) formation of villages; 3) pottery; 4) formation of cities; 5) metallurgy; 6) hierarchization of societies; 6) writting , etc. Events haven't always taken place in this order, of course, but all this has occured again and again in different times and places (enough times to establish a patron, some would argue). Some would go even further and say: when one step is accomplished, new needs appear in a society; and thus, and innoivation appears in response to this more complex needs, which in turn create new needs, making the society advance even further.

They might give us this example: A hierarchical society, for example, needs greater means of social control, a necessity which encourages the appearence of something like writting (in other societies writting may be a response to the needs posed by a greater and complex trade network).

Yet all this underestimates the role play by originality. If we analyse the civilizations that have existed throught history, we'll see that the "needs" haven't necessary been solved in the simplest way, IF they had been solved at all. This happened either because: NOBODY came up with an idea that would easily fullfill that social need; OR somebody came up with that idea, but the society was too conservative to accept it.

Take New Worlds Civilizations. There are many explanations for why they were less advanced that Old-World ones. It has been discussed countless of time in this site. Of all the reasons that explain this relative "primitiveness" of New World civilization, I think one of the most important was isolation: from both the old world civilization and between each other new world civilization centers.

The Classical Mayan (II AD-VIII A.D.), for example, were a very complex society, with agriculture, a writting system, a highly sofisticated numerical system, a very advanced calendar, etc. Yet they never came up with the idea of metallurgy. Maybe it was because there weren't many metals around. Possible. But isn't it strange that nobody in THE ENTIRE Messsoamerica, not even in Tehotihuacan came up with that idea? But when metal working arrived to Mesoamerica from the South, the Yucatecans (the descentants of those classical Mayans) didn't had any problem in adopting that tech.

Take the Andean civilization: complex irrigational technics, a highly developped agriculture, domesticcated plants and animals (even pack animals!), hierarchical societies, advanced metalurgy (they were already working with bronce when the Spanish arrived)...and YET no writting system. Yes, I know about the quippus; but, as good as these may as a means for social control, they are certainly not the best way to transmit orders from part of the kindom to the other, or to codify royal edicts, or to preserve the names of monarchs.

Why didn't they adopt a writting system? Maybe no one came up with the idea; maybe the social need for such a system wasn't that great that couldn't be fullfilled by a system like quippus one; or maybe somebody came up with such an idea, but was rejected for religious reasons (one of the Spansih chronicles, Montesinos, pretended that was what happened).

In any case, I find quite likely that had the Andean peoples KNOWN other peoples had writting system they would have developped their own. We know, for example, thet, although the Egyptian writting system is completely differewnt from the Sumerian one, it's way older than that system. Which makes as wonder if the news of such a system couln't have inspired Ancient Egytians to developp their own. We do know at least that many of the old world innovantion appeared only once in once place, and from there they expanded. The Egyptians didn't domesticaded horses, nor they invented charriots. They didn't invented the technics neccesary to work iron tools. All these things were invented ONCE, IN ONE PLACE of the old world (not precisely in the same place), and from THERE they diffused to different parts of the old world. Existing civilizations adopted these ideas, sometimes improving them, sometinmes using them as inspirations for new inventions. If VIII Century B.C. Egypt had lived permanently isolated, it wouldn't have had charriots pulled by horses, nor iron. It might not even have had a functional writting system, IF their system was in fact inspired by the Sumerian one.

It’s easy to say, for example: hey, Mesoamericans had wheels in toys, they could have invented wheelbarrows! But the notion of a wheelbarrow isn’t that simple. The old world had charts since the IIIrd Millenium AD, but only developped wheelbarrows in the V century BC. So while it’s still concivable that Mesoamericans could have invented wheelbarrows, and that they could have been adopted in Mesoamericans societies, it’s not neccesary the most likely. (At least we know they didn’t IOTL).

So, this is the thing: I can't help to think that if civilization occurs only in Australia, and only in a small paert of Australia, basic innovations, as simple as they me be, might not ever come into being. Although they may seem simple, nobody might come with the idea, or, if someone comes up with, the society might reject it. The smaller the civilized area is, the less conected from other civilised center it is, the fewer the chances of new ideas appearing. Theoretically, a small agricultural civilization "could" have invented copper metalurgy, a pictographic system, sails and many more things. But, taking into account the experience of New world civilization centers (isolated from each other by both geograpghy and by the lackk of mounted nomads who could take advances from one center to the other rather quickly), it's a given, nor it's neccessary the most likely outcome.

Still, this is AH, so anything can happen, if it's whithin the realm of possibility...as is everything in this TL :) (I mean, you've even studied the genetics involved behind the possibility of the appearence of a domesticable plant like the red yam!!!). And nothing in this TL seems impossible nor unjustified. It could perfectly have happened, given the Pod. That's the great thing about AH: we can chose from all the possible outcomes of a Pod, the ones we find more interesting.

If this was any other TL, I wouldn't have post this. But this is such a great one, so realistic, with so much reaserch involved, that I found it a good occasion to post this notion: progress towards civilization is not neccesarly automatic. You still need someone to come up with a new idea, and you need the society to be willing to accept that idea. This is easier when the choice is either to accept it or being surpassed by neighbours who have either invented or already adopted that idea, and harder if that circunstances don't exist.

Very nice work, I really enjoy all of the creative effort going into this timeline.

As for the question of what an *Aboriginal writing system would look like, for some reason I have an image of writing in a spiral, starting in the center and circling around and around on a clay disk that could possibly be extended with extra clay if need be.

Think this is confusing? You should check out the Natchez Social Hierarchy system some time! ;)

Just imagine kitjigal combined with Egyptian Pharoh hierarchy combined with a four-tier India-style caste system ("Suns" (royal/divine), "Nobles", "Honored", and (I shit thee not) "Stinkards") where higher tiers must marry "below their station", yet over time by various rules higher-tier families are "demoted" to a lower tier in order to maintain the balance in numbers. :eek:

Hmm. I think that's the best example I've heard yet of needing to be born into a society to understand it...

Sounds good so far, and I do like the colors thing. The question I have relates to the emu: will they be domesticated at some point, perhaps as a response to their increasing scarcity in the wild?

They will be domesticated eventually, yes, but the original site of domestication won't be along the Murray. Domesticated emus will spread there from elsewhere.

Also, would the development of agriculture and the resulting changes to the biological landscape have any long-term effects on the climate of Australia? In particular, would it change the situation with respect to water?

The net effect of the development of agriculture on the climate is going to be small. Not zero, but not large. This is because there's going to be effects pulling in both directions. On the one hand, the farmers are clearing land and cutting down trees. On the other hand, they plant more trees as parts of their crops, and their creation of wetlands along the Murray actually marginally increases rainfall due to evaporation.

In terms of the biological landscape, well, there will be changes. Various animals will go locally extinct (or completely extinct, depending on the size of their home range) due to human activity. Some tree species will become much more widespread due to human planting, for instance, while others will be cleared from large areas.

Fantastic (I love the descriptions of the food most people just leave things like that out of the TLs. It is the little details that make a TL that much more real), one question have you ever eaten Beefsteak fungus (Fistulina hepatica)? What does it taste like?

I've never eaten beefsteak fungus. It's quite hard to find in Australia, if it's cultivated at all nowadays. Apparently it's still eaten in France and a couple of other places, but I didn't find any on the menu when I was there. All I know about the taste is what's found on Polonopedia: it has a sour, slightly acidic taste.

Great TL!!! Excellent descriptions!!! I'm sure you must have done a lot of research for this.

There's just something I'd like to point out, and it's related to the notion of originality, or the appearence of new ideas or innovations.

Many pople see the formation of a civilization as a process involving several "steps": 1) agriculture & domestication of animals; 2) formation of villages; 3) pottery; 4) formation of cities; 5) metallurgy; 6) hierarchization of societies; 6) writting , etc. Events haven't always taken place in this order, of course, but all this has occured again and again in different times and places (enough times to establish a patron, some would argue). Some would go even further and say: when one step is accomplished, new needs appear in a society; and thus, and innoivation appears in response to this more complex needs, which in turn create new needs, making the society advance even further.

The question of how civilization developed is certainly an interesting one, and while we have a few details about how they developed, there's plenty of questions which remain. For instance, are all of these required by an incipient civilization? As you point out, they don't always happen in the same order, if they happen at all. Pottery has been independently invented on multiple occasions, several of which predate the development of agriculture, for instance. Hierarchical societies appeared even in societies without agriculture (including in Australia). So it's a fascinating question whether all of them are required, and also whether all of those steps will automatically develop.

They might give us this example: A hierarchical society, for example, needs greater means of social control, a necessity which encourages the appearence of something like writting (in other societies writting may be a response to the needs posed by a greater and complex trade network).

I'd partially agree with that statement, with a couple of qualifiers. Some needs do seem to produce solutions relatively quickly, and solutions are developed. Other "needs" seem to be much more contingent. For instance, the need for storage of goods is almost universal, and pottery showed up all over the place due to independent invention. On the other hand, wheels were invented on two or at most three occasions.

The other qualifier is that sometimes a solution which arises which is "good enough" to fill a basic need, but which might not be the best solution. FOr example, the need for record keeping in some form seems to be integral to complex civilizations, and record-keeping has arisen on multiple occasions in most complex civilizations. I can't think offhand of any of the major civilizations which lacked some form of record keeping once they'd been around for a couple of thousand years. But the solutions varied widely. True writing seems to have been the best solution, and it was invented at least three times. But other civilizations came up with methods which were "good enough", such as the quipu used by the Andean civilizations.

Yet all this underestimates the role play by originality. If we analyse the civilizations that have existed throught history, we'll see that the "needs" haven't necessary been solved in the simplest way, IF they had been solved at all. This happened either because: NOBODY came up with an idea that would easily fullfill that social need; OR somebody came up with that idea, but the society was too conservative to accept it.

That certainly happens with some ideas. Social conservatism crops up in a variety of civilizations, or just plain "no one came up with the idea." To pick just one example, there's nothing about man-portable mortars which couldn't have been built with technology in the era of the American Civil War (and maybe even earlier), and yet no-one made them work properly until WW1.

On the other hand, there is a strong argument that a lot of ideas were developed simply because they were obvious based on previous developments in knowledge or technology. There are an astonishing number of ideas in science which have been independently invented at around the same time by two or even three people, working in different countries or even different continents. It's as though once enough other knowledge has accumulated, the necessary insight becomes obvious.

Take New Worlds Civilizations. There are many explanations for why they were less advanced that Old-World ones. It has been discussed countless of time in this site. Of all the reasons that explain this relative "primitiveness" of New World civilization, I think one of the most important was isolation: from both the old world civilization and between each other new world civilization centers.

Isolation from the Old World certainly meant that they were cut off from some other sources of ideas, particularly the products of cultural exchange. Still, there were a lot of other factors at play, particularly the later development of agriculture. And also the lower overall population, particularly the lower urban population, which meant that there were simply fewer potential geniuses around to come up with ideas (and who lived somewhere that they might be able to implement their ideas, too).

The Classical Mayan (II AD-VIII A.D.), for example, were a very complex society, with agriculture, a writting system, a highly sofisticated numerical system, a very advanced calendar, etc. Yet they never came up with the idea of metallurgy. Maybe it was because there weren't many metals around. Possible. But isn't it strange that nobody in THE ENTIRE Messsoamerica, not even in Tehotihuacan came up with that idea? But when metal working arrived to Mesoamerica from the South, the Yucatecans (the descentants of those classical Mayans) didn't had any problem in adopting that tech.

It's possible that the native copper deposits weren't of a form where people would stumble across metallurgy, but where once they'd learned what to look for, then they could find suitable deposits. The thing is that copper working was independently invented on so many occasions (even in pre-Columbian North America), that I suspect that there was probably a barrier which meant that Mesoamericans couldn't come up with it.

Take the Andean civilization: complex irrigational technics, a highly developped agriculture, domesticcated plants and animals (even pack animals!), hierarchical societies, advanced metalurgy (they were already working with bronce when the Spanish arrived)...and YET no writting system. Yes, I know about the quippus; but, as good as these may as a means for social control, they are certainly not the best way to transmit orders from part of the kindom to the other, or to codify royal edicts, or to preserve the names of monarchs.

Quipu were a solution to the problem of record-keeping, though. The question is whether having found one solution meant that potential innovators who may have come up with writing found that they couldn't get any new system developed. This could be either because they focused their efforts on improving the use of quipu, or that there was an entrenched social class who had a vested interest in the use of quipu, and thus no other system of writing was pursued.

Why didn't they adopt a writting system? Maybe no one came up with the idea; maybe the social need for such a system wasn't that great that couldn't be fullfilled by a system like quippus one; or maybe somebody came up with such an idea, but was rejected for religious reasons (one of the Spansih chronicles, Montesinos, pretended that was what happened).

Aside from the possibilities I mentioned above, or the ones you mentioned, there's another possibility. All independently-invented writing systems which we know of were preceded by proto-writing systems (for a few centuries at least, sometimes for over a millennium). Quipu might not be better than a full writing system, but they were probably better than any proto-writing system, so this may well have snuffed out any potential development of a writing system.

In any case, I find quite likely that had the Andean peoples KNOWN other peoples had writting system they would have developped their own. We know, for example, thet, although the Egyptian writting system is completely differewnt from the Sumerian one, it's way older than that system. Which makes as wonder if the news of such a system couln't have inspired Ancient Egytians to developp their own. We do know at least that many of the old world innovantion appeared only once in once place, and from there they expanded.

I agree that the Andean peoples would probably have been inspired to develop their own writing system if they came into contact with a fully-fledged writing system. In the case of the Egyptians, though, it appears that writing, at least, was independently invented. Their proto-writing system went back to at least as far as the proto-writing amongst Sumerians. Writing is thought to have arisen independently in four areas. (Egypt, Mesopotamia, China and Mesoamerica.) Other things may have been invented only once, but writing wasn't one of them.

The Egyptians didn't domesticaded horses, nor they invented charriots. They didn't invented the technics neccesary to work iron tools. All these things were invented ONCE, IN ONE PLACE of the old world (not precisely in the same place), and from THERE they diffused to different parts of the old world. Existing civilizations adopted these ideas, sometimes improving them, sometinmes using them as inspirations for new inventions. If VIII Century B.C. Egypt had lived permanently isolated, it wouldn't have had charriots pulled by horses, nor iron. It might not even have had a functional writting system, IF their system was in fact inspired by the Sumerian one.

Mm, perhaps. Chariots certainly seem to have been invented only once and spread, but then they were dependent on the domestication of the horse. The horse was an example of a harder animal to domesticate than, say, cattle, and I'm not even sure that there were wild horses in Egypt to domesticate.

Iron working, on the other hand, has been independently invented at least twice, possibly three times. Iron working arose separately at both ends of Eurasia. Chinese and Western iron working techniques were wholly different, to the point where if one was inspired by the other, they should have had more in common. It's also possible, although by no means certain, that iron working was developed independently in West Africa. (The earliest examples of iron working there seem to be dated before they could have spread from Nubia and across the Sahel, although there's still considerable dispute on that point.)

So it looks like some innovations were quite possibly one-offs - chariots and horses - but others were not - iron working, writing, pottery.

It’s easy to say, for example: hey, Mesoamericans had wheels in toys, they could have invented wheelbarrows! But the notion of a wheelbarrow isn’t that simple. The old world had charts since the IIIrd Millenium AD, but only developped wheelbarrows in the V century BC. So while it’s still concivable that Mesoamericans could have invented wheelbarrows, and that they could have been adopted in Mesoamericans societies, it’s not neccesary the most likely. (At least we know they didn’t IOTL).

I suspect that with the particular example of wheelbarrows, there wasn't a natural progression of technology. Going straight from wheeled toy to wheelbarrow is rather a large leap. From what we know of wheelbarrows, they first developed amongst people who were already familiar with wheeled carts and the like.

So, this is the thing: I can't help to think that if civilization occurs only in Australia, and only in a small paert of Australia, basic innovations, as simple as they me be, might not ever come into being. Although they may seem simple, nobody might come with the idea, or, if someone comes up with, the society might reject it. The smaller the civilized area is, the less conected from other civilised center it is, the fewer the chances of new ideas appearing. Theoretically, a small agricultural civilization "could" have invented copper metalurgy, a pictographic system, sails and many more things. But, taking into account the experience of New world civilization centers (isolated from each other by both geograpghy and by the lackk of mounted nomads who could take advances from one center to the other rather quickly), it's a given, nor it's neccessary the most likely outcome.

Well, a lot of that depends on what gets considered basic innovations. While there's certainly room for argument about what technologies are considered basics of civilization, a rough list might be as follows: agriculture, irrigation, ceramics, metallurgy (at least to copper and bronze stage), writing, weaving, and at least one domesticated animal species.

Looking at that list, I note that the Sumerians had every single item on it. So, more or less independently, did China. (Agriculture may have spread from the Fertile Crescent, or developed independently.) Egypt is more ambiguous; bronze showed up there around the same time it did in Mesopotamia, but they had their own preferences in metallurgy, so did they borrow metallurgy or develop it independently? The Indus Valley civilization is another ambiguous case; they're close enough geographically that they may have borrowed some ideas from the Mesopotamians... yet if they did, why was their proto-writing system so different? Andean civilizations had every item on that list except for writing (and they did have a form of record keeping). Mesoamerica had all of them except metallurgy.

So, to me, it looks like it's perfectly possible for a culture to get at least as far as the Bronze Age on its own, and pick up pretty much every invention on that list. The Sumerians did it. The Chinese did it. The Egyptians may have done it. The Incas came close - they had everything except writing, and even then, they did have record keeping. This leaves Mesoamerica as the odd one out - they were missing metallurgy. Which is an interesting conundrum. Why did Mesoamerica miss out on metallurgy when copper working showed up in so many other places? (In some cases, copper working was developed even by people who didn't yet have agriculture - the Old Copper Complex of Michigan and Wisconsin, for instance.)

All in all, I suspect that the isolation of New World civilizations played a part, but still, a form of record keeping appears to be pretty much universal, and metallurgy almost so.

Still, this is AH, so anything can happen, if it's whithin the realm of possibility...as is everything in this TL :) (I mean, you've even studied the genetics involved behind the possibility of the appearence of a domesticable plant like the red yam!!!). And nothing in this TL seems impossible nor unjustified. It could perfectly have happened, given the Pod. That's the great thing about AH: we can chose from all the possible outcomes of a Pod, the ones we find more interesting.

I've tried to choose consequences of the PoD which are both plausible and interesting. In the general technological development of the Gunnagal civilization, I've based it more or less on what the Sumerians did, with a couple of modifiers. The Sumerians had domesticated animals and relied on irrigation for watering their fields. The Gunnagal lack domesticated animals (apart from ducks and dogs), and use irrigation for other purposes.

If this was any other TL, I wouldn't have post this. But this is such a great one, so realistic, with so much reaserch involved, that I found it a good occasion to post this notion: progress towards civilization is not neccesarly automatic. You still need someone to come up with a new idea, and you need the society to be willing to accept that idea. This is easier when the choice is either to accept it or being surpassed by neighbours who have either invented or already adopted that idea, and harder if that circunstances don't exist.

I agree that there's a lot of things which *Australian civilization is simply not going to come up with. Isolation will play a large part in that. However, they do have a few things going for them which will help them to make some advances.

Firstly, while they are isolated from the rest of the world, they are by no means united. *Australian civilization is going to spread over the southern half of the continent by pretty early. This is an area half the size of Europe. Lots of cultures and political entities will develop over that area. So there's still going to be competition between cultures, which will encourage more take-up of innovations.

Secondly, the *Australian population is going to be reasonably high, and it will also have a comparatively high percentage of the population who are in non-agricultural lifestyles (due to perennial agriculture). I'm still working out the full population figures, but it looks like the agricultural package will allow a total population on the continent of between five to eight million people. Of that population, over a million people will be living non-agricultural lifestyles (urban, in either small villages or cities). In comparison to the population of other areas which developed technology, that's a lot of people who are in a position to be more inventive and/or to adopt new innovations.

Thirdly, the Gunnagal have a head start on some of the comparable New World cultures. They start developing urban cultures between 2500 to 2000 BC. That's behind Mesopotamia, Egypt and China, but well ahead of Mesoamerica (1500 to 1250 BC) and the main early Andean civilization, the Chavin (900 BC) [1]. This gives the Gunnagal more time to develop various innovations.

So, all in all, I agree that there are going to be technologies in a lot of areas which *Australian civilization simply isn't going to come up with. But I think that they could be reasonably well-advanced in some areas, and I think it's entirely reasonable that they develop every one of the civilization fundamentals which I listed upthread.

Cheers,

Jared

[1] Norte Chico culture in Peru predates the Chavin by quite a long way, but for whatever reason, urban culture underwent a large regression after Norte Chico. Urban civilization started again with the Chavin, and there was a large time gap in between - nearly a millenium.

Seems to me though that if reasonably advanced societies arises in parts of Australia then there is a chance that some low level communication with SE Asia (PNG/Indonesia area) is possible will arise at points. Which would link them into the Asian/wider world in a way that the Americas were not

Seems to me though that if reasonably advanced societies arises in parts of Australia then there is a chance that some low level communication with SE Asia (PNG/Indonesia area) is possible will arise at points. Which would link them into the Asian/wider world in a way that the Americas were not

Developed cross-cultural contact with New Guinea would be difficult, as their crops are only good in the highlands. However, post Polynesian contact, New Guinea did have pigs, IIRC. They even made it to some of the Torres Strait islands. It's reasonable to assume they'd filter into Australia eventually, provided a maritime civilization develops on the East Coast. The question is more one of timing - They might get pigs from the West sooner.

Whenever the question arises about why some inventions appeared while others do not I like to point to the sandwich-sliced pickle, cut lengthwise rather than into discs so that they stay on the sandwich while you eat it.

People have been putting pickles on sandwiches for gotta be centuries, and yet it takes some Vlassic marketing monkey to come up with the idea c2000.

You immediately think "hell, why didn't I come up with that?" Damn good question. Why didn't anyone come up with it earlier? It seems so obvious once you've seen it.

I'd say a lot of inventions are like that, including wheelbarrows and hand carts. Even wheels. Even proto-writing. Once you've seen it it's "damn, of course!" But until that time...

Very nice work, I really enjoy all of the creative effort going into this timeline.

Merci.

As for the question of what an *Aboriginal writing system would look like, for some reason I have an image of writing in a spiral, starting in the center and circling around and around on a clay disk that could possibly be extended with extra clay if need be.

Hmm. Sounds like one of those ideas which may be used in specific purposes (on lucky charms, say), but not for general purpose writing. There's a reason that most writing ended up being in a series of straight lines (whether right to left, top to bottom, or even left to right at times); it's more versatile that way.

That certainly might have been possible depending on the way in which *Australian society might have developed, but for this particular timeline, I've decided against it. This is for a couple of reasons.

One is that I figured that there would simply be some areas of technology which *Australian society would not develop until comparatively much later in their technological progression than some other societies. One of these is ocean-open sailing; something which a lot of societies developed in the bronze age, or even in the stone age in some cases. Due partly to the seas around most of Australia (not conducive to developing sailing, to put it mildly), partly to their early civilization being in a river which is not navigable to the sea, and partly due to just plain isolation and lack of stimulation, open-ocean sailing is something which *Australian society won't develop until quite late in their development. Even then, they will not be very good at it.

The other reason is simply for butterfly avoidance. Having any sort of steady contact with Asia, at least at a level which means that *Australia is stimulated enough to avoid isolation, means all sorts of butterflies flapping by.

Developed cross-cultural contact with New Guinea would be difficult, as their crops are only good in the highlands. However, post Polynesian contact, New Guinea did have pigs, IIRC. They even made it to some of the Torres Strait islands. It's reasonable to assume they'd filter into Australia eventually, provided a maritime civilization develops on the East Coast. The question is more one of timing - They might get pigs from the West sooner.

I think that New Guinea got pigs from the Austronesians, yes. I don't know offhand if they made it to some of the Torres Strait Islands, but it makes sense that they would. If a maritime civilization does develop in Australia, they'll eventually spread further. Of course, the main impetus for the development of maritime technology will come after contact with the Maori from New Zealand, which only happens in the fourteenth century.

Whenever the question arises about why some inventions appeared while others do not I like to point to the sandwich-sliced pickle, cut lengthwise rather than into discs so that they stay on the sandwich while you eat it.

People have been putting pickles on sandwiches for gotta be centuries, and yet it takes some Vlassic marketing monkey to come up with the idea c2000.

You immediately think "hell, why didn't I come up with that?" Damn good question. Why didn't anyone come up with it earlier? It seems so obvious once you've seen it.

I'd say a lot of inventions are like that, including wheelbarrows and hand carts. Even wheels. Even proto-writing. Once you've seen it it's "damn, of course!" But until that time...

A lot of inventions seem obvious once they're discovered, certainly, even when they were only ever invented once. Still, a lot of other inventions were independently developed on multiple occasions. What's also intriguing is the fact that rather a lot of scientific discoveries are made independently around the same time. It seems that some ideas are easier to develop than others, even in isolation, while others seem to be pure serendipity.

Building on the points which Admiral Brown raised upthread, there are going to be some considerable technological consequences of the isolation of *Australian cultures. Some technologies and ideas simply won't occur to them, or will be quite under-developed when compared to technology elsewhere at the same stage of civilization. (Peeling back the veil for a moment, this will affect sailing tech and wheels, among other things.) In some areas, they will be comparatively advanced, of course, much as the Incas and Maya were in some ways, but they will still lack several aspects of technology which other civilizations might have considered rudimentary, if not essential.

You know the reading list for this project must be even thicker than the DoD list.

I think I have something over 300 archived files just in terms of what I've saved from general idea browsing and net downloads. That's not counting anything which I'd discovered while researching other topics, some things which I've used just as links rather than archiving a copy, or anything which comes in a dead-tree version.

Of course, DoD has over five years worth of notes, links and so forth. You probably don't want to know how big that list is...

Considering this discussion of native societies, Jared, have you read the book 1491 and if so, what is your opinion of it?

Considering this discussion of native societies, Jared, have you read the book 1491 and if so, what is your opinion of it?

Haven't read it. Hadn't even heard of it (or at least, not that I'd really taken any notice of). I'll add it to my list for next time I visit a decent library.

The Sandman

Banned

Good to see someone else here has read that one; I found it fascinating.

A quick question for Jared: would the *Aborigines be deliberately spreading sundews in their fields and artificial wetlands? It seems like another way to help with insect problems, and according to good old Wikipedia the OTL Aborigines used the corms of some of the Australian varieties for dyes and food. Not as a major source of the latter, obviously, but as an occasional delicacy.

It's possible that the native copper deposits weren't of a form where people would stumble across metallurgy, but where once they'd learned what to look for, then they could find suitable deposits. The thing is that copper working was independently invented on so many occasions (even in pre-Columbian North America), that I suspect that there was probably a barrier which meant that Mesoamericans couldn't come up with it.

So, to me, it looks like it's perfectly possible for a culture to get at least as far as the Bronze Age on its own, and pick up pretty much every invention on that list. The Sumerians did it. The Chinese did it. The Egyptians may have done it. The Incas came close - they had everything except writing, and even then, they did have record keeping. This leaves Mesoamerica as the odd one out - they were missing metallurgy. Which is an interesting conundrum. Why did Mesoamerica miss out on metallurgy when copper working showed up in so many other places? (In some cases, copper working was developed even by people who didn't yet have agriculture - the Old Copper Complex of Michigan and Wisconsin, for instance.)
Actually, the copper working in North America did not involve smelting, but rather working native copper nuggets, which is an entirely different kettle of fish. If you Google "Old Copper Complex", it is clear that they were using METALLIC copper, not copper ores to produce their tools and ornaments. So, too, did the natives of northern Canada (e.g. Yellowknife river - named for the knives formed from native copper found there).

WORKING of existing metal isn't so great a leap if you have the metal. Smelting metal is what requires that first leap, which did NOT (AFAIK) happen in North America (assuming the Maya, etc got theirs from the south as you suggest).

Or Islamic scholars, who view each successive moment as a divine recreation of the entire universe.

Oh, it could be fun writing something along those lines.

Good to see someone else here has read that one; I found it fascinating.

A quick question for Jared: would the *Aborigines be deliberately spreading sundews in their fields and artificial wetlands? It seems like another way to help with insect problems, and according to good old Wikipedia the OTL Aborigines used the corms of some of the Australian varieties for dyes and food. Not as a major source of the latter, obviously, but as an occasional delicacy.

It's not impossible that the *Aborigines would start to cultivate sundews in their fields, I suppose, but their usefulness may be limited. Most Australian sundews could not cope with the dryness and heat that would be around in an open field. Australian sundews (tuberous ones) which do live in those conditions survive by dying back to the ground during summer and re-emerging in autumn. This means that they will not really be around for a large part of the growth season for yams. There is also the problem that sundews may catch pollinating insects, not just insect pests, so they may be a mixed blessing.

Actually, the copper working in North America did not involve smelting, but rather working native copper nuggets, which is an entirely different kettle of fish. If you Google "Old Copper Complex", it is clear that they were using METALLIC copper, not copper ores to produce their tools and ornaments. So, too, did the natives of northern Canada (e.g. Yellowknife river - named for the knives formed from native copper found there).

Copper working in the Old Copper Complex involved hammering and working of native copper nuggets, yes, and not copper smelting AFAIK. But so did the first copper working in the Middle East, too; the use of native copper artifacts in Anatolia pre-dates copper smelting. The difference may well have been that the copper used in the Old Copper Complex was so pure that smelting it actually added little practical benefit, while the native copper in Anatolia was pure enough to be useful, but still not useful enough.

WORKING of existing metal isn't so great a leap if you have the metal.

Yes and no. Meteoric iron is a good example of people working with the metal once they have it available. Tools made from meteoric iron show up in a lot of places around the world; IIRC there's even a large meteorite in Greenland which the Inuit used to chip off as a source of metal for a long time.

For copper working, well, there's not as much native copper around the world as there is meteoric iron, but it does show up in various places. Yet while there are quite a few deposits of native copper around (including in Australia), a lot of them weren't used by peoples in the area. So there is something of a leap of innovation required, and that did happen in Michigan/Wisconsin, but not in some other places. Incidentally, it doesn't always seem to be required to use native copper first before copper smelting is discovered; AFAIK the (independent) discovery of copper smelting in China was not preceded by the use of native copper there.

Smelting metal is what requires that first leap, which did NOT (AFAIK) happen in North America (assuming the Maya, etc got theirs from the south as you suggest).

Smelting metal does require a leap of innovation, certainly, and it didn't happen AFAIK in North America. Still, it was developed independently on a number of occasions; the Middle East, in Peru (or somewhere nearby), in China, and almost certainly in West Africa. So it does seem to be something which quite a few peoples have managed to come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.