Delaunay's dream: A World Football Timeline

Group 1: Germany, Romania, Argentina, Australia
Group 2: Yugoslavia, Brazil, Scotland, Zaire
Group 3: Poland, Belgium, Bulgaria, Haiti
Group 4: England, Chile, Czechoslovakia, South Korea
Group 5: Netherlands, Sweden, Italy, Uruguay

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Still remember the original 1972 game at Wembley, as it was one of very few matches to be televised live in the UK. This 9-year old was allowed up to watch it!

(The seven -year-old me still remembers not being allowed to watch the 1970 FA Cup Replay between Chelsea & Leeds at Old Trafford. Shame as reckoned to be one of the dirtiest matches ever in England, but it was a school night.)

The seven -year-old me still remembers not being allowed to watch the 1970 FA Cup Replay between Chelsea & Leeds at Old Trafford
Classic game. An equivalent here would be the 1987 Yugoslav Cup final between Hajduk Split and Rijeka. The fans of Hajduk brought a navy orchestra into the stadium and it had some of the funniest commentary from any TV commentator, who was most of the time falling asleep. Better times

Group 1 - Argentina, Australia, Germany, Romania

Group 2 - Brazil, Scotland, Yugoslavia, Zaire

Group 3 - Belgium, Bulgaria, Haiti, Poland

Group 4 - Chile, Czechoslovakia, England, South Korea

Group 5 - Italy, Netherlands, Sweden, Uruguay
Scotland likely to get out of the group and beat Brazil here. Given how they were a breath away from doing so IOTL, I'd suspect that with the national team being in a more experienced place ITTL, I'd go as far that they could knock Brazil out in the group stage had they beat Brazil and results remained the same.

Looking forward for the next update.

Scotland likely to get out of the group and beat Brazil here. Given how they were a breath away from doing so IOTL, I'd suspect that with the national team being in a more experienced place ITTL, I'd go as far that they could knock Brazil out in the group stage had they beat Brazil and results remained the same.

Looking forward for the next update.

Also, considering that OTL, all three wound up with four points and the two best third-placers qualify here, even third place won't necessarily mean elimination.

Last edited:
Group 1 - Germany, Argentina (the top 3, including Romania, all finish on 4 points)
Group 2 - Scotland, Yugoslavia (but brain is saying Yugoslavia, Brazil)
Group 3 - Poland, Belgium
Group 4 - England, Czechoslovakia
Group 5 - Netherlands, Sweden (jesus what a group)