Base Maps from 550 BC to Modern Day, all in UCS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut the guy some slack. He did say that the maps are unfinished and use an older basemap, that's like to say they use a different standard. A non-UCS basemap might as well be posted on a UCS thread if the purpose is to UCS-ify it, then anyone is free to take it and apply any standard he wants, it's a dynamic process I think. That said, I would still like to implement my suggestions (Switch from Prussian blue to German Grey after 1871; green Italy with Brown outline from 1861 on and switch to full brown after 1922; stripped Two Sicilies from 1861 to 1870) on the regular UCS basemaps.

As I said, I posted them so others would have something to work with if anyone wants to do them.

That aside I use the GCS rather than the RCS or whatever other schemese their are now.

Cut the guy some slack. He did say that the maps are unfinished and use an older basemap, that's like to say they use a different standard. A non-UCS basemap might as well be posted on a UCS thread if the purpose is to UCS-ify it, then anyone is free to take it and apply any standard he wants, it's a dynamic process I think. That said, I would still like to implement my suggestions (Switch from Prussian blue to German Grey after 1871; green Italy with Brown outline from 1861 on and switch to full brown after 1922; stripped Two Sicilies from 1861 to 1870) on the regular UCS basemaps.

I'd say the formation of the North German Confederation in 1867 marks a better place to switch to German grey from Prussia. Yes it was essentially 'Prussia plus some minor states' but with the loss of the German Confederation the situation was basically one of 'we have a united German state and a few others in the south', and the German Empire basically took the constitution and structure of the NGF and added Baden, Wurttemburg and Bavaria to the list of included states with a couple of minor modifications.

As for Italy, I'm not sure. We've ditched the whole 'differentiate between Nazi Germany and the Empire/Weimar', so it doesn't make much sense to mark Mussolini's Italy either, particularly when there were greater similarities between the Italy of Mussolini and the Italy of before. Indeed, you could probably argue greater political continuity between the Italy of 1870 and the Italy of 1930 than between the Italy of 1930 and the Italy of today, note that the methods that Depretis used in the late 1870s were quite similar to those used by Mussolini. Seeing as it's ludicrous to suggest that Italy should continue to use the Sardinia-Piedemont colour until 1946, the switch makes most sense at the move to Rome in 1870.

And?

You use your color system and I'll use mine, however color systems don't have much to do with the content I presented.

I'd rather the color systems change than the borders and landforms, as well. I can always change colors quickly in Paint.net.

Any plans on doing more of the 1800s between 1816 and 1860? I've been considering taking the old style UCS maps from the Wiki and transferring them to the larger global shape basemap, but I'm not sure which one would be best to use.

the most recent Worlda basemap would be best, though you oughta go through and reinclude Lake Chad and the Aral Sea while you're doing that, since those landforms were extant until recently

Any plans on doing more of the 1800s between 1816 and 1860? I've been considering taking the old style UCS maps from the Wiki and transferring them to the larger global shape basemap, but I'm not sure which one would be best to use.

Apart from finishing the 1885 map, no, I've stopped working on the CS series except for occasional patches.

This is just my opinion.

I notice that on 1870 Italy is still of the Piedmontese color, which I approve, but I think it should have an italian brown outline, also extending to the irredentist claims on Trento and Trieste. Also, the South should be stripped in the Two-Sicilian color from 1861 to 1870. I'd switch to full Italian color after WW1, or, to be more extreme, after 1922.
On the 1838, Tuscany, Parma and Modena should be austrian puppets IIRC.
Prussia should switch from blue to grey after 1871.

Actually, that's not Prussia, but the North German Confederation.

Shouldn't it be outlined then?

Not really. As I said earlier, it was basically a mini version of the later German Empire, with the latter having essentially the same constitution. 1867 saw free movement of people a common postal system, a common passport and Prussian military laws established in the other states. Saxony was no more independent than Maine by then.

King James IX

Hello there,

I tried to make a basemap of Europe from around 500 CE. I used a slightly altered version of TACOS, mostly because I like the wide variety of choices.

It's probably full of atrocious errors, but for what it's worth, here it is:

500CE.png

500CE.png

King James IX

And, I suppose since this is the UCS Basemap thread, here's that same map, in UCS:

500CEUCS.png

500CEUCS.png

Not really. As I said earlier, it was basically a mini version of the later German Empire, with the latter having essentially the same constitution. 1867 saw free movement of people a common postal system, a common passport and Prussian military laws established in the other states. Saxony was no more independent than Maine by then.

Gotcha. Thank you.

Hello there,

I tried to make a basemap of Europe from around 500 CE. I used a slightly altered version of TACOS, mostly because I like the wide variety of choices.

It's probably full of atrocious errors, but for what it's worth, here it is:

View attachment 172595

It's not totally off, actually I think a few places might be able to be used as replacements for the 500 CE Basemap.

The below being Europe and the near-abroad from the latter;

Europe 500 CE.png

Status
Not open for further replies.