Background for TL : Kaiser falls in love with U-boats, 1908

Adler

Banned
Interesting. A PoD in 1904 with the Karp class built for Russia is possible. I am curious, how you want to deal with the capital ships. It might be needed to keep up building them as well. And only to fool the British as well as to pacify the admirals not wanting the Uboats. Also they are still needed in the long run.

Adler

BlondieBC

Banned
Was a submarine raid on Scapa Flow possible in the early stages of the war in 1914 with careless British Admirals not guarding things?

WI Britain, seeing Germany develop U-boats (as in this TL your writing), decides to deploy torpedo nets as countermeasures, and then, believing RN ships safe, becomes careless.

Assume the Germans actually conduct tests (Long range voyages) with these boats, and manages to improve the designs to become reliable.

Then, in the opening stages of WW1, 10 U-boats manage to sneak in and sink 50 vessels, including 20 battleships (OTL during the Dardanelles campaign, 3 british battleships were sunk, all with torpedo nets deployed), and then all escape, with no losses

OR is that ASB?

As to any particular battle in WW1, you are far ahead of where I am in the story. From 1905 to mid-1914, the story focuses on developing the u-boat arm in a plausible way complete with the war plans. When the war begins, the admiral will chose from one of options on the shelf. I am intentionally reducing my exposure to wartime and post-war books to try to minimize too much foresight by the Germans.

As to the basic shape of the War plans, there are 3 roles seen for submarines, which are port defense, merchant raiding, and offensive fleet operations. Everyone agrees the first will happen, the second likely happens, and the thirds is desirable but very hard to do with existing technology. Besides think in general, i have not begun work on these plans, but the following general plans would be likely by 1914 for the North Seas Squadron.

1) Defend the German Coast from expect attack by Grand fleet.
2) Cut the channel to stop intervention in France with troops.
3) An offensive plan to attack the British Fleet, which might be Scalpa Flow, but could also be clearing the North Seas of Warships (OTL option) or attacking Portsmouth. I simply have not gotten near that far in the story.
4) Repeat each of these for the French without British help.

Torpedo nets were consider an option to safeguard ships, so yes,the British likely have them. Effectiveness will be left to the future story.

Based on the research so far, a decisive victory in the first few months of the war is very unlikely, especially a naval victory against warships. There likely be no U-boats based in the Mediterranean at the start of the war, but if the British still move to Gallipolli, then German U-boats will be attracted in large numbers. The U-boats will likely score more capital ship kills than OTL just because of larger numbers of them, but using these boats against a fleet at speed in the open sea is difficult.

West Africa will be where the Germans do there long-range testing in more open waters. There will be lessons learned, but if these lessons result in updated ships designs has not been determined. It will likely be 1908-1910 before the first lessons are learned, and newer types of boats will be arriving soon, so these will likely be used to try to overcome the challenges. If i chose to radically redesign ships classes, the first new ones will not show up til 1914 or later. A new submarine class is relatively expensive, and will not be tried before concepts such as additional depots, storing petrol and ammo in neutral countries (overt and covert), and primitive sub-tenders are tried. The submarine command will still be on a very limited budget compared to the main battleline, and the Admirals will have to be budget focused.

As to general comments on war plans, it would help me most if you saved comments on the war plan til later. Between 1908 and 1914, i plan to have the Submarine command review the war plan five times, and this will provide opportunity for people to comment pre-war.

Thanks.

BlondieBC

Banned
Interesting. A PoD in 1904 with the Karp class built for Russia is possible. I am curious, how you want to deal with the capital ships. It might be needed to keep up building them as well. And only to fool the British as well as to pacify the admirals not wanting the Uboats. Also they are still needed in the long run.

Adler

To avoid butterflies, the funding for the U-boats will be additional funding. My rough projections have about a 1-2% increase in Imperial Germany's Naval budget. The Germans will have exactly the same number of surface ships as OTL. The other powers will have the same capital ships, but i may make some adjustment to support ships. The POD is not to fool the British because the true uses of a U-boat are not appreciated at higher Naval levels. I have yet to come across a pre-war reference to unrestricted submarine warfare. Mahan analysis of Europe pre-war indicates that the existing sea laws will be followed, that Holland will be able import unlimited amounts of material for re-export overland, and that the British will have great difficulty maintaining a close blockade. For example, Mahan thinks that the British will be unable to close the Baltic ports, so the Germans will simply send all neutral shipping to the Baltic ports, not the North Seas ports, and the British will let the ships passed unhindered.

The Germans will still have all the difficulties adjusting to the surprise British actions, and Vice Versa. More ships and more experience will give the Germans a more powerful tool, and some of the easier lessons will have been learned. i.e. There will be few training accidents in 1914, mechanical bugs will have been worked out a bit better, the logistics of supporting the subs will be a lot better, the war plan to blockade the channel will be better, etc.

To avoid butterflies, the funding for the U-boats will be additional funding. My rough projections have about a 1-2% increase in Imperial Germany's Naval budget. The Germans will have exactly the same number of surface ships as OTL. The other powers will have the same capital ships, but i may make some adjustment to support ships. The POD is not to fool the British because the true uses of a U-boat are not appreciated at higher Naval levels. I have yet to come across a pre-war reference to unrestricted submarine warfare. Mahan analysis of Europe pre-war indicates that the existing sea laws will be followed, that Holland will be able import unlimited amounts of material for re-export overland, and that the British will have great difficulty maintaining a close blockade. For example, Mahan thinks that the British will be unable to close the Baltic ports, so the Germans will simply send all neutral shipping to the Baltic ports, not the North Seas ports, and the British will let the ships passed unhindered.

The Germans will still have all the difficulties adjusting to the surprise British actions, and Vice Versa. More ships and more experience will give the Germans a more powerful tool, and some of the easier lessons will have been learned. i.e. There will be few training accidents in 1914, mechanical bugs will have been worked out a bit better, the logistics of supporting the subs will be a lot better, the war plan to blockade the channel will be better, etc.

Mahan...I wonder what he would have thought of real life OTL....and aircraft carriers.....

Deleted member 1487

I thought that too at first, but by 1906 the British had over 24 boats built, and by 1910 they had over 62 boats built, and by the war, the had 86 boats of 16 classes. Now to be fair, quite a few sank, but the fleet was still a lot bigger than about the 40 boats the Germans had. The French were actually the leaders in submarines before the war. So, my POD is the Kaiser and the Naval admirals decide they want a submarine fleet in parity to the British or French, and this will get them near 100 boats. The boats are also pretty cheap at 50K to 110K pounds for the British models, so it is not a huge number, no more than 20 built in any given year. Now the 10 year old boats will be very long in the teeth, and of limited value.

The difference from WW2, is that this is not a rush planned, but a 10 year buildup with no naval limitation treaties. The budget cost is not trivial but the entire program is around 7.5 million British pounds over 10 years, and will consume 4000 sailors and say another 4000 support personnel. I am still working on the types of boats but don't have it nailed down. Or the way I am looking at it, two dreadnaughts worth of budget.

The big selling point is that Naval authorities believed submarines made a naval base almost unattackable, and that Port Arthur would not have happened if the Russians have subs. Whether or not this is true does not matter, it only matters that they believed it pre-war. Once it is in the naval budgets at an average of 10 or so boats per year, it will just keep getting funding each year. This is why i am avoiding reading post war analysis. I want to have the same beliefs as pre-war people did. I am trying not to implement any idea, if i can't find it in a 1913 or earlier work.

And to get around admiral slots, I will bring one up through the ranks. Otto Schultze. In my time line, he will be ready for the job, when an admiral job shows up. He his POD is being assigned to U-2 in 1905/06. He will make squadron commander when the total U-boat crews would not gun a main battery on a BB. After all, if there is 8 U-boats, someone is in charge. And the way these boats are, it will be lucky if 6 still float. They were death traps early on.

http://www.geocities.com/~orion47/WEHRMACHT/KRIEGSMARINE/Generaladmirals/SCHULTZE_OTTO.html

The British spent far more per capita and in real amounts on their fleet than the Germans. The Brits then could afford to have so many Uboats, because they already had a massive fleet. Physically yes it is possible for Germany to build up all of those boats, but I cannot figure a single reason why they would do so, given their primary land focus. Especially since the naval race ended in 1912 and the Germans were then focused on expanding their army.

Plus the Kaiser and his admirals (whose opinions actually mattered) were focused on the big battleships and the decisive fleet engagement, the so-called vernichtungsschlacht on the seas. Subs were not viewed as a weapon that could take down anything above a light cruiser, so would be worthless to this pursuit. Unless some how the Jeune Ecole took over in German naval thought I'm still having a hard time imagining how and why the Germans decide for this. It wasn't in the Kaiser's nature to buck the majority of his advisors when they were set on something.

BlondieBC

Banned
The British spent far more per capita and in real amounts on their fleet than the Germans. The Brits then could afford to have so many Uboats, because they already had a massive fleet. Physically yes it is possible for Germany to build up all of those boats, but I cannot figure a single reason why they would do so, given their primary land focus. Especially since the naval race ended in 1912 and the Germans were then focused on expanding their army.

Plus the Kaiser and his admirals (whose opinions actually mattered) were focused on the big battleships and the decisive fleet engagement, the so-called vernichtungsschlacht on the seas. Subs were not viewed as a weapon that could take down anything above a light cruiser, so would be worthless to this pursuit. Unless some how the Jeune Ecole took over in German naval thought I'm still having a hard time imagining how and why the Germans decide for this. It wasn't in the Kaiser's nature to buck the majority of his advisors when they were set on something.

You raise several points. First on costs. We seem to see the numbers differently. I view the program as being a minor cost item in the overall budget, and the naval bills are slightly larger. I am going to keep this in British pounds. The German annual Naval budget was around 50 million per year. In the first couple of years of the expansion the cost of the U-boats will be around 0.1 million pounds or 0.2% of the budget. By the 1913 time period, the budget will have grown to around 2 million pounds or 4% of the budget. In 1914, the departure from OTL will be about half of that or 2% of the budget. I believe this overstates the marginal cost substantially because a consistent, long-range building plans should lower per unit costs substantially. There also will be built only one model of sub per year, instead of differing designs at different ship yards. These number may seem large, but in terms of the overall naval budget (0.2-2.0%), military budget (0.1-0.7%) or the overall German budget (0.0-0.2%), the numbers seem plausible.

On the last part of cost, the Germans had 144 torpedo boats by 1906. When compared to the number of torpedo boats, a 10 year plan to get to 100 boats does not appear large. This also relates to the role of the U-boat. They were called "daytime torpedo boats". The concept is that torpedo boats can't survive in the clear daytime against a sizable fleet of warships due to the secondary guns on the ships (4'', 5'', etc.) Without submarines, a base was vulnerable to daytime bombardment by BB or CA. Submarines cover this daytime gap by attacking the fleet partially or fully submerged. This is how the British are using the ships at this time period. The submarines are also the invisible pickets watching for approaching fleets. They are serving much the role that patrol planes would play in WW2.

There is also the issue of defense of Colonial ports. The German colonies were lightly protected, and the U-boat will expand into this role over the years, copying the pattern of the French in Tunisia and Algeria. U-boats are the most cost effective method of provide credible protection of ports. Once the decision is made that it is desirable to provide some protection at the colonial ports, U-boats are a very cost effective choice.

The concept will broadly be the "swords and shield" strategy. The surface fleet and the army are the swords that will deliver the decisive naval and land victories. The torpedo boats and the submarines will be the shield that protects the naval base, prevents amphibious assaults, and prevents the colonies while the other battles develop.

Second, on sub usefulness, i see a subtle difference. Yes, subs were viewed as largely useless in fleet battles on the open sea, but subs were viewed as a decisive weapon even against dreadnoughts by some naval strategists. Over time, this view will become a view held by enough individuals to maintain the program.

The Kaiser liked to give out Mahan to his officers to read. In this POD, there is not a decisive event that changes the strategy, but an evolution of views that will eventually differ from OTL enough to enlarge the fleet. It will always be starved for funds, but more ships an trained men will be there. The POD is that Prince Henry, a much more flexible thinker, will begin to see potential in submarines. Through his influence, the Kaiser will also read some of the pro-submarine literature and become more influence by it. In a critical series of meetings, it will decide to add 2 submarines to the 1905 budget and 2 to the 1906 budget. These submarines will be attached to Prince Henry, since he is the champions of the ships. These subs will have limited value, and function more as experimental submarines. In 1907/1908, more functional but yet limited 10 submarines will built, and they will largely be moved to West Africa and East Africa. In 1909, the submarine authorization will be bump as a part of the general ramp up of the navy. (Note, I may have to adjust the years some, and the number built up or down, as i write the time line.) This bump up in production will be a multi-year appropriation, and it will not drop due to lobbying by the ship building companies and Prince Henry. The numbers of subs available will happen to be slightly higher than the British by when the war starts, due mostly to inertia in the building program.

The POD is not the main focus of where I take the TL, but it will be there. The time line should probably be renamed as Prince Henry falls in love with the U-boat.

You seem to see the issue as either subs or fewer BB. In no year, will the U-boat program pay to construct even a single BB. And largely through Prince Henry support, mentoring, and lobbying, the naval budget will be 1 to 2% larger than OTL. Do you still see this as implausible?

BlondieBC

Banned
Does the increased submarine war bring the US into the war earlier?

I am not that far along yet. This is really a two part-time line. The first part is getting the the U-boat fleet to June 1914 at roughly double the size in OTL. I am also trying to minimize butterflies, because I don't want a time line where the entire naval strategy and forces for all powers are changed. This is what I am working on right now. The second part will be fighting the war on a week by week basis. I am trying not to prejudge events that far out, but I can say if the Germans do unrestricted warfare with a lot more ships, the USA will become angry faster, and if the plan is having major success at starving Britain, there may not be a pause as in OTL. Once the war starts, having twice as many submarines, and especially submarines stationed around the world will quickly create naval butterflies that I will have to work through one by one.

Adler

Banned
A Kaiser class BB costed 45,6 million Mark. In 1914 19 million Mark were planned to build 6 boats (Germany usually ordered boats of 6 or 12, as 12 boats were a flotilla). Thus 12 boats per year would cost 38 million Mark, roughly 85% of a BB.

Adler

BlondieBC

Banned
Incidentally, what gets cut for that 1-2% of additional funds?

Higher taxes and social program. In the overall budget, it will max out at about a 0.2% marginal change. I don't plan to go into any real details in the TL, but think slightly higher levies on the colonies, minor tinkering with social spending, a few fewer new school buildings, a bit higher taxes in Germany, etc. Also, all this money gets recycled into the economy, so there should be slightly higher revenue do to the spending (I hate to sound like Obama, but there is some truth to this position.)

Two million pounds spread over Seventy million Germans is about 0.28 british pounds or around 1.5 Marks more per person per year. I don't see any huge butterflies from these adjustments besides if the war goes too long, maybe the Germans sue for peace a few days earlier.

Deleted member 1487

You raise several points. First on costs. We seem to see the numbers differently. I view the program as being a minor cost item in the overall budget, and the naval bills are slightly larger. I am going to keep this in British pounds. The German annual Naval budget was around 50 million per year. In the first couple of years of the expansion the cost of the U-boats will be around 0.1 million pounds or 0.2% of the budget. By the 1913 time period, the budget will have grown to around 2 million pounds or 4% of the budget. In 1914, the departure from OTL will be about half of that or 2% of the budget. I believe this overstates the marginal cost substantially because a consistent, long-range building plans should lower per unit costs substantially. There also will be built only one model of sub per year, instead of differing designs at different ship yards. These number may seem large, but in terms of the overall naval budget (0.2-2.0%), military budget (0.1-0.7%) or the overall German budget (0.0-0.2%), the numbers seem plausible.

On the last part of cost, the Germans had 144 torpedo boats by 1906. When compared to the number of torpedo boats, a 10 year plan to get to 100 boats does not appear large. This also relates to the role of the U-boat. They were called "daytime torpedo boats". The concept is that torpedo boats can't survive in the clear daytime against a sizable fleet of warships due to the secondary guns on the ships (4'', 5'', etc.) Without submarines, a base was vulnerable to daytime bombardment by BB or CA. Submarines cover this daytime gap by attacking the fleet partially or fully submerged. This is how the British are using the ships at this time period. The submarines are also the invisible pickets watching for approaching fleets. They are serving much the role that patrol planes would play in WW2.

There is also the issue of defense of Colonial ports. The German colonies were lightly protected, and the U-boat will expand into this role over the years, copying the pattern of the French in Tunisia and Algeria. U-boats are the most cost effective method of provide credible protection of ports. Once the decision is made that it is desirable to provide some protection at the colonial ports, U-boats are a very cost effective choice.

The concept will broadly be the "swords and shield" strategy. The surface fleet and the army are the swords that will deliver the decisive naval and land victories. The torpedo boats and the submarines will be the shield that protects the naval base, prevents amphibious assaults, and prevents the colonies while the other battles develop.

Second, on sub usefulness, i see a subtle difference. Yes, subs were viewed as largely useless in fleet battles on the open sea, but subs were viewed as a decisive weapon even against dreadnoughts by some naval strategists. Over time, this view will become a view held by enough individuals to maintain the program.

The Kaiser liked to give out Mahan to his officers to read. In this POD, there is not a decisive event that changes the strategy, but an evolution of views that will eventually differ from OTL enough to enlarge the fleet. It will always be starved for funds, but more ships an trained men will be there. The POD is that Prince Henry, a much more flexible thinker, will begin to see potential in submarines. Through his influence, the Kaiser will also read some of the pro-submarine literature and become more influence by it. In a critical series of meetings, it will decide to add 2 submarines to the 1905 budget and 2 to the 1906 budget. These submarines will be attached to Prince Henry, since he is the champions of the ships. These subs will have limited value, and function more as experimental submarines. In 1907/1908, more functional but yet limited 10 submarines will built, and they will largely be moved to West Africa and East Africa. In 1909, the submarine authorization will be bump as a part of the general ramp up of the navy. (Note, I may have to adjust the years some, and the number built up or down, as i write the time line.) This bump up in production will be a multi-year appropriation, and it will not drop due to lobbying by the ship building companies and Prince Henry. The numbers of subs available will happen to be slightly higher than the British by when the war starts, due mostly to inertia in the building program.

The POD is not the main focus of where I take the TL, but it will be there. The time line should probably be renamed as Prince Henry falls in love with the U-boat.

You seem to see the issue as either subs or fewer BB. In no year, will the U-boat program pay to construct even a single BB. And largely through Prince Henry support, mentoring, and lobbying, the naval budget will be 1 to 2% larger than OTL. Do you still see this as implausible?

You neglect the cost of the men, the facilities to base the Uboats, the repair facilities, the training facilities, the targets, the personnel for maintenance and their training, etc. There is a lot more that goes into it than just the cost of the boats. Where is the money going to come from? The army is getting lots more money throughout all of this for upgrading artillery (pretty expensive) and adding more machine guns, the navy had plans for bigger ships for every Mark it can get its hands on.
The Reichstag pinched Pfennigs like no other and was extremely loath to raise taxes or issue more bonds to pay for anything beyond what the naval bills required. It was still an untried technology and the navy still looked at it like the airplane. An interesting and useful auxiliary device that was still years away from really become useful.

I'm not sure Prince Henry really had that much pull in construction and consider the profit margins too. I'm not sure what they were for Uboats, but industry wants to build big BBs as they make lots off of it and can employ many workers to build them. Uboats take a while to build, but are small items that employ only a few people. Plus the major infrastructure costs to the navy to build up everything to do with Uboats: bases, construction facilities, trained personnel...all of that competes with BBs because the Reichstag doesn't want to pay for anything more than it has to. Ready up on the naval laws and you'll see how bitter the struggle was to get the navy the funding it had OTL. Even 1-2% costs, which it won't be due to all the other infrastructure that goes with it, is a lot in terms of how money was raised in the Reich.

Could you name some theorists that were pushing for subs?

BlondieBC

Banned
A Kaiser class BB costed 45,6 million Mark. In 1914 19 million Mark were planned to build 6 boats (Germany usually ordered boats of 6 or 12, as 12 boats were a flotilla). Thus 12 boats per year would cost 38 million Mark, roughly 85% of a BB.

Adler

What source are you using for this?

I was basing the early cost estimates off of British submarine costs due to the very small numbers of German subs built before 1914.

Let me make sure i have your number right. You are saying each boat is 3.2 million marks or about 0.5 million British pounds. In 1905, the first boat cost 0.25 million marks ( 0.05 million pounds), which was about the same as the early British boats costs (0.05-0.1 million pounds). If this is true, I will have to deal with the escalating cost issue in later years.

Yep, interested...

...I had Hitler export kit U-boats to friendly ports and assemble U-boat squadrons near 'choke points' of British and potential Allied commerce. Not unlike your proposals.

Subs make good secret minelayers - that's how Haig was killed. Go for torpedo improvements and arm U- and UB-boats with guns for surface actions. UC were only big enough as minelayers but had twin torpedo tubes.

Ahem

...I had Hitler export kit U-boats to friendly ports and assemble U-boat squadrons near 'choke points' of British and potential Allied commerce. Not unlike your proposals.

Subs make good secret minelayers - that's how Haig was killed. Go for torpedo improvements and arm U- and UB-boats with guns for surface actions. UC were only big enough as minelayers but had twin torpedo tubes.

I think you mean Kitchener.

I am glad you found the suggestion of Prince Henry useful. A few other points. As for RN reaction I think a persuasive argument can be made that they will increase their submarine production but by something small like 15-20% Their Admiralty will at some point before the war scratch their heads and ask, "Why is the KM building so many damn subs?" I think one point that will occur to them at some point is that Forkbeard plans to have U-Boats work in close cooperation with the HSF. This was in fact something the RN esp. Jellicoe worried about a great deal and it was something they wanted very much to be able to do themselves leading to the unfortunate K class submarines (which may arrive earlier in your TL). I do not see any panic over the sort of USW which happened OTL before Sherlock Holmes points it out.

My quibble with the Tsingtao flotilla is not its existence but its size. I would see 12-15 as more likely. Now nowhere do I see a Pola Flotilla mentioned. The existence of a sizeable Pola Flotilla at the beginning of the war could make a big difference.

Adler

Banned
What source are you using for this?

I was basing the early cost estimates off of British submarine costs due to the very small numbers of German subs built before 1914.

Let me make sure i have your number right. You are saying each boat is 3.2 million marks or about 0.5 million British pounds. In 1905, the first boat cost 0.25 million marks ( 0.05 million pounds), which was about the same as the early British boats costs (0.05-0.1 million pounds). If this is true, I will have to deal with the escalating cost issue in later years.

My sources are www.german-navy.de for the costs of the BBs. To the costs of the Uboats, well, in Weyers Taschenbuch der Kriegsflotten pp. 14, 15 it is said, that 19 Million RM are demanded for a buildup of the Uboat flotillas. As 6 boats should be ordered, a boat costed 3.166.666,66 Mark.

Adler

BlondieBC

Banned
I am glad you found the suggestion of Prince Henry useful. A few other points. As for RN reaction I think a persuasive argument can be made that they will increase their submarine production but by something small like 15-20% Their Admiralty will at some point before the war scratch their heads and ask, "Why is the KM building so many damn subs?" I think one point that will occur to them at some point is that Forkbeard plans to have U-Boats work in close cooperation with the HSF. This was in fact something the RN esp. Jellicoe worried about a great deal and it was something they wanted very much to be able to do themselves leading to the unfortunate K class submarines (which may arrive earlier in your TL). I do not see any panic over the sort of USW which happened OTL before Sherlock Holmes points it out.

My quibble with the Tsingtao flotilla is not its existence but its size. I would see 12-15 as more likely. Now nowhere do I see a Pola Flotilla mentioned. The existence of a sizeable Pola Flotilla at the beginning of the war could make a big difference.

Yes, he was a lot of help. It can be real hard to find someone who both supports new ideas and is high ranking enough to matter. Many ideas die for lack of a champion. Prince Henry is nearly out of central casting for my needs.

The RN may react in later years. Right now, I am trying to bring the fleet near WW1 with the following criteria:

1) Noticeably more U-boats. There is no point in writing a TL where Germany has 5 more U-boats, we know how this stories ends, almost the same. One hundred in fleet is the goal, but since Germany had near 40 to begin the war with in OTL, i might go as low as 65-70.

2) Higher production immediately before the war, to allow to greater wartime production. This will answer the question, where did the extra slips and builders come from?

3) A budget that is less than 1 BB marginally higher than OTL, and ideally never spends enough to buy a BB in any single year gross. Mainly because if the budget for new submarines gets to say 1.5 BB per year, the Kaiser will be 1 extra BB per year, and leave the rest for the submarines. It will not delay my first timeline since i have the cost of the Karp (250,000 marks per unit), but I may need to make adjustments in later years. I will still have to work through some details provided by other members.

4) A fully evolved plan to use the submarines at the start of the war. The plan will likely be deeply flawed, but I want to find sources pre-war for each of the concepts. The sources may not be the prevailing naval thought, but at least will be an existing minority view. Three out of three books i found that did pre-war submarine use have the jobs as coastal defense, then merchant raider (cruiser rules), and then gee whiz, it would be nice if the could fight in the open sea in major battles. And there are some crazy ideas, like the Russian sub with wheels (actually built or at least budgeted).

5) No huge butterflies in the various navies. A few extra submarines or destroyers by the British is ok, but I don't say want an extra 10 dreadnoughts built by the UK right before the war. This is why there is a slow build up. Reading the pre-war British doctrine, they are always fine if they have a 2-1 advantage, so likely until Germany is the number 3 submarine power, or perhaps number 4, I plan to keep the reaction of the British unchanged.

On to old forkbeard, I plan to have about the same number of U-boats in service in Germany in 1914 as OTL. In fact at times, the Germans may have fewer submarines in Europe than OTL. I have a deployment schedule that I plan to follow closely. I just need a certain amount of lead time to get the 3 extra colonial squadrons setup. There will be about twice as many U-boats, and about half will be in the colonies or with allies or otherwise not in the North Sea. There are several reason for this decision, none of which is the majority reason.

1) Makes the story more interesting.
2) The sheer distance of the ships makes the commands more independent.
3) Submarines are seen first as port defense ships (say the B-17, PBY of 1910). There are a limited number of ports that need protection in Germany proper, so the Colonies are a logical extension. Germany will be copying France's lead in this matter, as they will be in many decisions of the pre-war years.
4) Submarine is on a tight budget, so it is a lot cheaper to build docking facilities at West African wage rates than German ones.
5) Once the decision is made that colonies with army units need at least some naval defense, submarines will be sent because of their low social status. Or put another way, with more subs on hand, when the Kaiser wants ships in West Africa, old Forkbeard will send a couple of submarines as an easy solution.

Right now, new submarine classes will not arrive more than one year earlier than OTL as a rule of thumb. I am trying to keep this more a mater of better quantity of ships, not quality.

On to Pola, I see a shocking amount of lack of co-operation between the militaries of A-H and Germany. In fact at times in the previous 40 years, the foreign ministry was afraid that co-operation between A-H and Prussian GHQ could lead to the armies launching a pre-emptive war on Russia. (Don't have site, but did read this in passing.) A Med sub fleet would be useful, but do you have some idea on why this would happen pre-war?

BlondieBC

Banned

Your Hitler idea sounds a lot like the British concept of "Submarine Carriers", which were imagine as ships a lot life the early aircraft carrier concepts, but would lower several short range coast subs into the battle zone.

I was looking at the build dates of the dedicated mine carriers, and they all appeared to be during the wartime. The Germans were very consistent on how they built the submarines in the pre-war years once the conversion from kerosene to diesel was completed. The ships get bigger, sometimes a little faster and the ranges increase. The armament remains, much the same.

The Germans will also be looking at choke points for operations. Initial ideas include the entrance to the Red Sea with operations based out of German East Africa, Italian, or Ottoman lands. The other area of interests will be the Inland Sea of Japan, Hong Kong, and Singapore area. These may or may not go into the war plans, but they ideas will each be explored.